• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah the more I think if it, a pure 1:1 retelling would be a missed chance. But I guess Nintendo has a few surprises up it's sleeve with this.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Hey it could have being worse. Imagine if they let Miyamoto alter the game ?

- Too much story and characters ! change the story (save the princess should be enough) and remove half of the characters !

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

- Too much story and characters ! change the story (save the princess should be enough) and remove half of the characters !

You do know there's not a princess in this game, right? And the only princess-like girl in the game isn't in danger and doesn't need saving.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I am not a person who spoils shit for people except back in December 2000 when I spoiled a scene in FFIX but I am sorry I just don't get it. Carry on.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the assumption that something that looks cutesy will never go into darker territory. I mean, look at the end of Wind Waker.

I mean, there are many, many examples of art that couples a cute/chibi style and whimsical characters to melancholy themes. Pretty much all Zelda games do it. There's also Pixar/Disney/Bluth/Ghibli etc. etc.

I really dig the style. I'm also excited about hearing the remixed music, if ALBW is any indication (which to my mind has the very best score of any Zelda, bar none).

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The greatest monkey paw wish fans of Paper Mario ever got was asking for less story elements in Club Nintendo surveys because of the many long cutscenes in TTYD and Nintendo finally acknowledging fan wishes.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Links Awakening is a fun little game but the fetch quests and generally not knowing where to go isn't going to click with todays gaming market. They really need to streamline things, add content or do something in the multiplayer area to get people's attention. I always thought Links Awakening was amazing untill I tried to replay it a while back. Its fun but very rough and linear. The dungeons are the most fun but everything else is filler. I don't think its one of the best Zelda's.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

It's weird how Miyamoto's perception has changed over the last decade, to the point where he gets regularly accused of things that aren't his fault or even something he would want to do in the first place.

You do know he was involved in the original game, right?
The greatest monkey paw wish fans of Paper Mario ever got was asking for less story elements in Club Nintendo surveys because of the many long cutscenes in TTYD and Nintendo finally acknowledging fan wishes.
That's not quite it. Less than 1% of pollees said they found SPM's story interesting. TTYD had nothing to do with it, nor is the specific reason so many answered that way known.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
It's weird how Miyamoto's perception has changed over the last decade, to the point where he gets regularly accused of things that aren't his fault or even something he would want to do in the first place.

More as a producer and tester, though they did listen to his feedback. And since it was Tezuka who gave the directives of "no Zelda/Hyrule/Triforce" it's silly to think Miyamoto would seek to correct the series' co-creator.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Normally I'm very against Zelda remakes, I'd rather the resources be used on a new game or new ip.

But links awakening is a special exception. It was the first Zelda game I played, I must have been 6 or 7. I remember the final boss and a couple of the dungeons but nothing else. So this is almost a whole new game for me.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

That's not quite it. Less than 1% of pollees said they found SPM's story interesting. TTYD had nothing to do with it, nor is the specific reason so many answered that way known.
He was barely involved actually.

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it started as a 3ds game and transformed to a switch title. Or it was a switch title all along. Doesn't matter for me. I'm happy :)

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Links Awakening is a fun little game but the fetch quests and generally not knowing where to go isn't going to click with todays gaming market. They really need to streamline things, add content or do something in the multiplayer area to get people's attention. I always thought Links Awakening was amazing untill I tried to replay it a while back. Its fun but very rough and linear. The dungeons are the most fun but everything else is filler. I don't think its one of the best Zelda's.

After obtaining a backlit AGS 101 gameboy color, I also started replaying it and feel the same way. The general sense of not knowing where to go when your target is really specific is really something hard to tolerate nowadays. I'm sure they will streamline that.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah they should add loot boxes and a battle royale mode.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
One specific thing I'm wondering is will they change anything about the infamous "Imprisoned Pol's Voice" room.

2C9dauq.png

You have to kill the enemies here in a specific order to get the key, but the only hint refers to the enemies by their names. Lots of kids who didn't know what the names of Zelda enemies were got stuck here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

"everything else is filler" is a vague, reductive criticism that could just as easily be applied to the non-dungeon segments of any classic Zelda game. if you think this game has filler, what do you think about the bloated world map/dungeon design of LTTP?

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I can't really say what it is about this game, but I have this instant love for this Remake. I do not own a Nintendo Switch but if any game can make me buy one it is Zelda. Lets hope the rumors are true about new Switch consoles coming out later this year

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that there is nothing they will be able to do to match the chiptune perfection that is this:

I think they can match it or at least capture the essence of it by being creative with the soundtrack.

So far remakes of old titles have gone orchestral, maybe they can go a bit crazy with LA and use more electronic sounds.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I can't really say what it is about this game, but I have this instant love for this Remake. I do not own a Nintendo Switch but if any game can make me buy one it is Zelda. Lets hope the rumors are true about new Switch consoles coming out later this year

If you didn't caved with breath of the Wild you probably won't when a probable cheap kids focused device will be announced in the coming months.
Just Don't expect a more beefy model this year.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
If you didn't caved with breath of the Wild you probably won't when a probable cheap kids focused device will be announced in the coming months.
Just Don't expect a more beefy model this year.

I played through BOTW on my nintendo Wii U. Granted it was lower resolution and had some hickups in framerate but I still had a blast.

I think I would actually prefer a cheaper handheld only Switch version, but I am not sure yet. I will just wait and see what Nintendo is going to do. It should be absolutely no problem to have Nintendo Switch performance in handheld form in 2019 on 7nm compared for less money.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I played through BOTW on my nintendo Wii U. Granted it was lower resolution and had some hickups in framerate but I still had a blast.

I think I would actually prefer a cheaper handheld only Switch version, but I am not sure yet. I will just wait and see what Nintendo is going to do. It should be absolutely no problem to have Nintendo Switch performance in handheld form in 2019 on 7nm compared for less money.

Damn I forgot it released on WiiU lol

Yeah, this should be doable, though I'm afraid they'll shrink the costs with cheap plastic and shitty screen... We should hear from it soon, we'll see.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
There are loads of very well done orchestral remixes of LA tunes on YouTube. None of them are as good as the chiptunes.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening features music and specific instruments as a key part of its narrative, and if they don't take advantage of that in the new soundtrack, it will be a giant missed opportunity.

"But chiiiiiiiiiptuuuuuuuuuuunnnness."

No.

Nov 1, 2017
Folks should give this fan orchestration of Link's Awakening a listen:

I thought the person did a really good job, I'm a big fan of how there's actual footage with chiptune sfx. I'm confident that the remake's ost will be great.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
All we currently have to go off is the released song from the trailer, which is lacklustre, frankly. Hopefully it is WIP, but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the direction they will take the music.

So, three takes on the "House" theme. No one is saying that orchestration won't fit the game - on the contrary, live instrumentation will probably benefit songs like Ballad of the Windfish as you collect more instruments. However, the preciseness of the chiptune for this particular song has an achingly pure/melancholy/sweet sound that will be hard to translate.

The lone guitar sounds pleasant. Overall sounds more "easy listening" than the chiptune.

A very good take and one that is probably most reminiscent of what we will actually get, with the additions to the melody. Sounds more like something from Ocarina of Time, with a "lazy ranch" vibe.

Very beautiful, but doesn't really fit with the vibe of the game we're getting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The general sense of not knowing where to go when your target is really specific is really something hard to tolerate nowadays
generally not knowing where to go isn't going to click with todays gaming market
really? the game does a really good job in pointing you to where you're supposed to go (by calling ulrira). and i think people will appreciate exploring and finding things on their own. this comes after botw, after all.

Hoping they go RE2make and allow us to be able to switch between the new and old OSTs
that would be fantastic.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be an EXTREME minority opinion. Dungeons are very well liked in Twlighr Princess, Skyward Sword, LBW, and even Spirit Tracks.
I mean, the majority of zelda fans haven't even played any of the pre-OOT games so of course it is. Every 3d zelda has trash dungeon and puzzle design comparatively. They've never properly translated the grid based top down approach to puzzles and made it work from third person ground level camera. I'm not saying there aren't head scratchers, but they're rote in comparison.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
I'm more concerned how they're going to handle the Sword Search music. I can't imagine that song not being chiptune. Maybe since it's so short and plays for only a brief period they can make an exception and go wild with it... Or maybe some intense violin or something?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Folks should give this fan orchestration of Link's Awakening a listen:

I thought the person did a really good job, I'm a big fan of how there's actual footage with chiptune sfx. I'm confident that the remake's ost will be great.

LOL if you guys think we're getting anything like this and not that cutesy minimalist doots and deets that we got in the trailer to match the art style.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
the game does a really good job in pointing you to where you're supposed to go (by calling ulrira).

lol no. I'm playing through it right now, and while the game is masterfully made (especially for a gameboy game) the hints are generally extremely obtuse (like, "go to this location" but you still don't know how to get there) and the long extended trade sequence to get into a certain dungeon halfway through the game grinds the pacing to a halt. it's one of the few things in the game I actually think is outright bad.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The actual game looks incredible, but going by the little promotional art we've seen so far, it looks like we're sticking to this style:

800px-ALBW_Link_Drawing.png

And while that's fine, this is what I really want a return to:

ALttP-FS_Link.png

Could not ask for a better Zelda art style. Early 2000s Link was just perfect, Wind Waker included.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
This probably gives a better idea of what the music might sound like:

and for those worried that the flute is too feeble an instrument, it can be used to great effect:

and since there was discussion about including chiptune sounds, the same composer also likes to mix chiptune instrumentation into his arrangements.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
One specific thing I'm wondering is will they change anything about the infamous "Imprisoned Pol's Voice" room.

2C9dauq.png

You have to kill the enemies here in a specific order to get the key, but the only hint refers to the enemies by their names. Lots of kids who didn't know what the names of Zelda enemies were got stuck here.

I didn't know the names. I ended up probably just doing it by process of elimination or luck.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The actual game looks incredible, but going by the little promotional art we've seen so far, it looks like we're sticking to this style:

800px-ALBW_Link_Drawing.png

And while that's fine, this is what I really want a return to:

ALttP-FS_Link.png

Could not ask for a better Zelda art style. Early 2000s Link was just perfect, Wind Waker included.
To each his own, but I found the Ages/Seasons art to be really iffy at best. Looks like generic anime to me. I much prefer Zelda 1-3's art.
/edit: Actually that is Zelda 3 art lol. I'm talking more about Zelda 1 and 2 then. I just looked up Ages and Season art and it's a lot worse than that.