Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Beside Fi keeping her yapper closed more, the only change I'd love to see...

Let's you run instead of pause for crappy Bokoblin fights.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am fucking excited to replay Skyward Sword. It was fantastic the first time round.

Hot take: the motion control and forcing you to attack in the right direction with every enemy means this has the best, most involved combat of any 3D Zelda game, even/especially Breath of the Wild.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
60 fps is a game changer! I didn't even bother watching the trailer at first because I assumed it would still be 30 like Nintendo's other remasters, but after watching it and seeing they took the time to get it running 60 it's now on my radar for sure.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Awesome. I'm actually interested in trying the motion controls again, but it'll be nice to have the button alternative

Hoping for those obvious QoL improvements, too. Should be a lay-up for Nintendo but they often miss those.

3a3h89hho9i61.jpg

Sure, with the difference you don't need a special controller to play the game because the default ones are capable eneough, unlike with the original release.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I am fucking excited to replay Skyward Sword. It was fantastic the first time round.

Hot take: the motion control and forcing you to attack in the right direction with every enemy means this has the best, most involved combat of any 3D Zelda game, even/especially Breath of the Wild.
Yeah Skyward is the most fun I've had with the combat in a Zelda game.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
So has there been any revision to joy-cons to address the drift? I can't even consider buying another set knowing they will just eventually drift again.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, with the difference you don't need a special controller to play the game because the default ones are capable eneough, unlike with the original release.

A bit facetious since the addon required was relatively cheap, and cheaper still when bundled with the game at the time. Importantly its more about the value then compared to now. This game is quite old now, and for many people it may just not be worth that very high price on Switch, especially when you already paid for it on another Nintendo system - which is where I am right now, so I'm opting to just not buy.
Up to you if you think its good value or not, but the image makes its point well imo, demonstrating Nintendo's woeful pricing that often pushes folks away amongst so many poor choices.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer I missed Best Buy and Gamestop Joycons. I turned on notifications for Warios Twitter so hopefully I'll see when Amazon goes up.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Nintendo fans will eat up any POS they'll throw at em...

*he says as he ponders getting a second Switch just because it's the red Mario one*

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
A bit facetious since the addon required was relatively cheap, and cheaper still when bundled with the game at the time. Importantly its more about the value then compared to now. This game is quite old now, and for many people it may just not be worth that very high price on Switch, especially when you already paid for it on another Nintendo system - which is where I am right now, so I'm opting to just not buy.
Up to you if you think its good value or not, but the image makes its point well imo, demonstrating Nintendo's woeful pricing that often pushes folks away amongst so many poor choices.

No it doesn't make its point well because you still needed the addon because you couldn't play the game from the get go. I don't think it's good value for me because I already own the game probably the same for anybody else who already owns it, maybe the game at $60 is good value for somebody who never owned it. And let's not pretend this particular game is a outrageous or even a surprise when Link's Awakening was released at the same price and if it was the reason "that often pushes folks away amongst so many poor choices" then they would be doing bad with the other ports and remasters released at the same price, sure it's bad but the general consumer doesn't seem to care.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I don't remember skyward swords opening but was it worse than Twilight Princess?
I hated that beginning, having to herd those bulls, fish for that cat and find those kids, shit took forever

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So has there been any revision to joy-cons to address the drift? I can't even consider buying another set knowing they will just eventually drift again.
Unfortunately no. And when you return them for repair, they don't guarantee you will ge the same color joycon back. Luckily I have gotten all my colors back, but have never sent a special edition in. I would hope they return these if it came to that, but it is a gamble.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Unfortunately no. And when you return them for repair, they don't guarantee you will ge the same color joycon back. Luckily I have gotten all my colors back, but have never sent a special edition in. I would hope they return these if it came to that, but it is a gamble.
How has there not been a revision already? wtf

Well this makes me feel better if I don't land the Zelda joycons.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised they are going fast. For once I'm glad joycons have drift issues. It makes it easier to turn these down.

I hope everyone that wants them gets lucky! God-speed my friends

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry but Activison remade the entire Spyro and Crash trilogy from the ground up and sold both at 40 dollars for a bundle of THREE full blown games. I wish people would stop buying these overpriced ports. The games are great...but cmon.

I thought the Links Awakening remake was a rip off too, but at least it required effort put into it.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, breath of the wild's sword combat is very basic imo, other 3d Zeldas have much more fun sword combat imo

really hoping both 2 they improve sword combat and introduce new techniques

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but Activison remade the entire Spyro and Crash trilogy from the ground up and sold both at 40 dollars for a bundle of THREE full blown games. I wish people would stop buying these overpriced ports. The games are great...but cmon.

I thought the Links Awakening remake was a rip off too, but at least it required effort put into it.
Crash and Spyro are no where near Zelda quality. You're lying to yourself if you think Activision wouldn't have sold all three for $60 seperately if they thought they could get away with it

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed
Is the zelda game with one of the highest highs of the series but it has the lowest lows too
It is a great experience (heck, the desert is worth everthing)

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, breath of the wild's sword combat is very basic imo, other 3d Zeldas have much more fun sword combat imo

really hoping both 2 they improve sword combat and introduce new techniques

yeah I only mention BOTW cos I love the game otherwise and it's by far the most acclaimed. But I don't think its sword combat is particularly engaging, and I can't say previous 3D Zeldas have had good combat systems too. They're all very one note, which is why I really enjoyed SS's!

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Crash and Spyro are no where near Zelda quality. You're lying to yourself if you think Activision wouldn't have sold all three for $60 seperately if they thought they could get away with it
Lmao so basically Nintendo games are the only games allowed to be sold 10 years later for 60 bucks a pop

no matter how you cut it they are an INSANE value compared to 60 dollars for skyward sword

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to snag the Zelda Joycons through Best Buy earlier. I might be more excited for those than the actual game lol. They did a great job designing them and I think they complement each other well.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao so basically Nintendo games are the only games allowed to be sold 10 years later for 60 bucks a pop

no matter how you cut it they are an INSANE value compared to 60 dollars for skyward sword

the bigger issue i have versus the $60 price point is the effort that goes into these titles. tww hd was a tech demo turned into a full release, but it had some quality of life improvements and some miiverse stuff added. it's arguably the best version of the game even though, arguably, it looks worse than the gamecube version.

twilight princess hd added an amiibo dungeon which is legit new content. bizarrely it doesn't let you use wii motion controls at all despite there being all the reason in the world for it to have that as an option. i think the wii version remains the definitive release as a result.

skyward sword hd is getting an additional control method which is great for accessibility. but unlike with tww hd, and similar to tp hd, there's nothing that addresses the core issues of the game, which aren't the motion controls but the pacing. this is easy to do in tww hd and ss hd, where tp's issues are more structural (namely, the boring start).

the real missed opportunity was super mario 3d all-stars. i think a nintendo of 20 years ago would have made it a flagship title. as you collect stars and shines, you unlock art and bonuses and other mario games (like mario bros. for the 50th time or even super mario galaxy 2 as a super secret special bonus). but this had the feeling of covid fucking up the development cycle on a number of major games and needing to create something to fill the gap. so this is wound up filling the gap.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, they're good games, but you can finish each trilogy in around 15 hours each. They're certainly pretty though. Skyward Sword is a 50 hour game and this new version runs at 60fps (Crash and Spyro run at 30). I hope we saw more 60fps 3D Zelda games in the future.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, they're good games, but you can finish each trilogy in around 15 hours each. They're certainly pretty though. Skyward Sword is a 50 hour game and this new version runs at 60fps (Crash and Spyro run at 30). I hope we saw more 60fps 3D Zelda games in the future.
I wouldn't say that this game being longer necessarily makes it better. I just can't recall the last time we've had a game launch for 50 dollars 10 years ago and then get launched again 10 years later for 60 dollars. Sounds greedy as fuck

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Would I like this game? I like breath of the wild. I haven't beaten it yet, but I plan to. Likely going to use walkthroughs to make sure I progress at a steady pace vs dropping the game for 7 months.

But yeah. It seems like an interesting game

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that this game being longer necessarily makes it better. I just can't recall the last time we've had a game launch for 50 dollars 10 years ago and then get launched again 10 years later for 60 dollars. Sounds greedy as fuck
I only bring up length to address the whole "value" thing. Crash and Spyro collections are actually really short considering you're getting three games. Each trilogy combined is about the length of a modern platformer. For $40 though, they're worth it.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I only bring up length to address the whole "value" thing. Crash and Spyro collections are actually really short considering you're getting three games. Each trilogy combined is about the length of a modern platformer.
I mean you can buy an online multiplayer game and have infinite hours. Doesn't mean it's a better buy then any other game ever. Fact is three separate full length titles for 40 dollars is pretty unmistakably better than one for 60 dollars, especially since they even took the time to rebuild the former from the ground up with entirely new assets. This HD remaster likely had a significantly smaller budget than either of the Crash or Spyro remakes

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Would I like this game? I like breath of the wild. I haven't beaten it yet, but I plan to. Likely going to use walkthroughs to make sure I progress at a steady pace vs dropping the game for 7 months.

Love seeing you popping in some threads now that you have a Switch. Keep it up!

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can buy an online multiplayer game and have infinite hours. Doesn't mean it's a better buy then any other game ever. Fact is three separate full length titles for 40 dollars is pretty unmistakably better than one for 60 dollars, especially since they even took the time to rebuild the former from the ground up with entirely new assets. This HD remaster likely had a significantly smaller budget than either of the Crash or Spyro remakes
It definitely had a smaller budget. Goods and services aren't priced based on cost though. Also, three full games are not automatically better than one full game. We'te not going to agree on this though, which is fine.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017

It's very different from Breath of the Wild in the sense that it's linear and far more story focused. I think it has the best narrative and characters of any Zelda game though. It made me quite emotional in the end.

What you lose in freedom you make up in brilliant dungeons, music and story.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely had a smaller budget. Goods and services aren't priced based on cost though. Also, three full games are not automatically better than one full game. We'te not going to agree on this though, which is fine.
Yeah I don't think you're going to be able to explain why a 50 dollar game released 10 years ago should be bumped up in price to 60 dollars in 2021.It's just not something I can wrap my head around regardless of how I think about it

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The joycons look fucking amazing but no way I'm spending more money on those shit controllers unless I'm forced to...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think you're going to be able to explain why a 50 dollar game 10 years should be bumped up in price to 60 dollars in 2021 to me. It's just not something I can wrap my head around regardless of how I think about it
Why do some films from the 50's still cost $20-$30 to own on disc. Pricing doesn't work the way you think it does. Since you brought up " value", certain films, artists, IP, etc. hold more "value" than others. If Skyward Sword HD isn't appealing to the market, it will underperform.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some films from the 50's still cost $20-$30 to own on disc. Pricing doesn't work the way you think it does. Since you brought up " value", certain films, artists, IP, etc. hold more "value" than others.
You mean fancy physical editions with nice new artwork? I could buy the remastered movie digitally for a fraction of the price. There's no option for that with this lame ass remastering lol

Morkula

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
Skyward Sword holds a special place in my heart not only because it's the last new Zelda game I thoroughly enjoyed before the series went in its new direction (I thought ALBW was decent but nothing special, and I strongly disliked BotW since it removed everything I loved about the series), but because it released at a really rough time in my life that had caused me to pretty much give up gaming for months. It pretty much reignited my gaming "spark" and provided a lot of joy during a really difficult time. So I was ecstatic when I saw it pop up on screen during the Direct.

I know it's got its issues...the pacing, the reused bosses, Fi being annoying as hell, and so on. But it's still one of my favorite games of all time. I've wanted to replay it for years (though I'm admittedly scared it won't be as great as I remember) but I've been waiting for a remaster since the Wii graphics really haven't held up well.

So it's likely going to be a rare day one purchase for me. I agree that $60 is just Nintendo greed and it really should only be $40 at most, but it's a very special game for me that I want to relive. Plus at this point, the remasters are pretty much the only place to get the old-school Zelda gameplay that I loved for so long, since BotW is the new style for the series in the future.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which ones? And even then, what makes you think I would be buying an outrageously marked up movie? I never said Nintendo is the only company prone to doing greedy ass shit
The point is you don't understand how pricing works. The entire capitalist system is driven by greed. PlayStation isn't less greedy for selling you a bunch of software that collapsed after a few months on the market for $20 a pop. Pricing is based on maximizing profitability. That's it. I understand being frustrated as a consumer, but you and a bunch of others on Era have this weird notion that Nintendo is somehow more greedy than the average publisher. They are not.

Apr 21, 2018
skyward sword hd is getting an additional control method which is great for accessibility. but unlike with tww hd, and similar to tp hd, there's nothing that addresses the core issues of the game, which aren't the motion controls but the pacing. this is easy to do in tww hd and ss hd, where tp's issues are more structural (namely, the boring start).

Do we know for certain this is true? They didn't mention what QOL or changes were done to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.