KilgoreWolfe

Apr 13, 2021
About five hours in now, just got the bomb bag in the Earth Temple, and I'm having a blast. I'm actually surprised at how well the button controls are working for me, once I got used to how the sword works. I'll try out the motion controls once my Zelda joycons arrive, which apparently will be Tuesday despite then already being in town according to the tracking (get your shit together, FedEx). Amiibo is coming Tuesday as well, but so far I haven't really encountered a situation where it would be that useful so that's no biggie.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
As someone who never played this before, I was surprised at all the sexual tension and flirting between Link and Zelda at the beginning 😆

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Finally was able to dig in and ya'll had me worried. But the button controls work perfectly for me, I love it! Seeing all the complaints in here and reviews had me thinking I might have to settle with motion controls which I hated in the original. This remaster is really fantastic so far!

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a scene more epic than

Link coming to the rescue of Impa and Zelda and having to pick between "Go!", "Protect Zelda!" and "Am I late" (which is a reference to a scene earlier).

Not gonna lie, it gave me chills. :D

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Couple of interesting changes I noted surrounding a single treasure chest. Video below is from Chuggaaconroy's LP of the Wii version, and the treasure chest in question is 22 minutes into this video almost exactly. Firstly, the item contained within is different from what I just got playing on Switch (were some chests always containing random items in this way?) but that's not why I checked this video to begin with because the second change is more interesting. In this video, after obtaining the item, it goes to the collection screen and shows it being added to the total, but when I opened this one on Switch I'm 99.9% sure it did not. This is only a couple of seconds cut off ultimately but like with the bigger issue of materials collected in the overworld it really adds up.

So yeah another great change that is making the game much more enjoyable to play, and one that I don't think I saw noted here.

Oct 25, 2017
Started this today. I mapped L1 to the 8bitdo pro 2 left back button and it feels a bit better to move the camera freely.

Last edited:

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a YouTube video about Mario 3 that talked about Nintendo Staff's trip to a Disney park that inspired the different worlds. You could see that same influence in OoT's map being a Hub-and-Spoke like DisneyLand.

Skyward is the ultimate expression of that. The whole game feels like being let loose in a theme park; and with the new QoL improvements, it's easier to see what they were going for. I even appreciate the art style, which I thought looked muddy before.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda strange how the internet warped my opinion on Skyward Sword.

I bought it at launch, consumed it and loved it. Yeah, it had padding issues. Yeah, the controls could be frustrating at times. Yeah, Fi and that lack of QoL options was tiring. But damn the highs in Skyward Sword were so good! Just pure gaming bliss at it's best when everything clicked... Or at least I thought.

Fast forward to early this month, and all the constant complaining and hating over the years made me think my opinion was wrong. My nostalgia and Zelda bias must have clouded my judgement. Skyward Sword is surely just a mid-tier entry in the series and I got caught up in the hype.

Nope.

This game is still fucking awesome. Some of the best dungeons of all time. Oh and the best combat and story to ever grace a Zelda game. I bounced off replaying Twilight Princess and Windwaker HD, but I'm seven hours into Skyward Sword and constantly wanting to play more.

Even more so today, I really appreciate the streamlined approach to game progression with Skyward Sword. It is the closest Zelda has gotten to the Mario series as in you are constantly being pushed froward with game design and constantly interacting with new gameplay mechanics. You can tell they really tried to make every action fun and engaging, and I feel like they mostly succeeded.

The QoL additions are great. This is how it should have been on Wii. The game looks great in HD. I feel like it transfers over so much better than Twilight Princess did. 60 FPS is a game changer, specifically for the motion controls.

It's neat seeing how much transfered over from here to BoTW. There is a lot more than I remembered. Kinda flabbergasted how amazing both these two games are with completely different designs philosophies. I hope we see some proper dungeons in BoTW2 like Skyward Sword. Maybe take the opposite approach, where the sky islands are just one huge dungeon/puzzle area similar to the land in Skyward Sword.

Also, please please please have loftwings in BoTW2.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
About five hours in now, just got the bomb bag in the Earth Temple, and I'm having a blast. I'm actually surprised at how well the button controls are working for me, once I got used to how the sword works. I'll try out the motion controls once my Zelda joycons arrive, which apparently will be Tuesday despite then already being in town according to the tracking (get your shit together, FedEx). Amiibo is coming Tuesday as well, but so far I haven't really encountered a situation where it would be that useful so that's no biggie.
It wouldn't be fair to call The amiibo functionality useless, but after playing the game it's pretty hilarious how nothing of a feature it ended up being. I'm 6 hours in and own the amiibo, and have never even considered using it.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Do you think Nintendo will patch in a new control option that doesn't require holding the shoulder button for camera control?

KilgoreWolfe

Apr 13, 2021
It wouldn't be fair to call The amiibo functionality useless, but after playing the game it's pretty hilarious how nothing of a feature it ended up being. I'm 6 hours in and own the amiibo, and have never even considered using it.
Yeah, I played the original and when I heard about the feature, my initial thought was "Neat. Can't think of a situation it would actually be useful in, though." I've played about as much as you have and not once have I wished my amiibo was already here.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Sure everyone's made the connection but it's Link's loftwing from this game that is on the Hylian shield.

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda strange how the internet warped my opinion on Skyward Sword.

I bought it at launch, consumed it and loved it. Yeah, it had padding issues. Yeah, the controls could be frustrating at times. Yeah, Fi and that lack of QoL options was tiring. But damn the highs in Skyward Sword were so good! Just pure gaming bliss at it's best when everything clicked... Or at least I thought.

Fast forward to early this month, and all the constant complaining and hating over the years made me think my opinion was wrong. My nostalgia and Zelda bias must have clouded my judgement. Skyward Sword is surely just a mid-tier entry in the series and I got caught up in the hype.

Nope.

This game is still fucking awesome. Some of the best dungeons of all time. Oh and the best combat and story to ever grace a Zelda game. I bounced off replaying Twilight Princess and Windwaker HD, but I'm seven hours into Skyward Sword and constantly wanting to play more.

Even more so today, I really appreciate the streamlined approach to game progression with Skyward Sword. It is the closest Zelda has gotten to the Mario series as in you are constantly being pushed froward with game design and constantly interacting with new gameplay mechanics. You can tell they really tried to make every action fun and engaging, and I feel like they mostly succeeded.

The QoL additions are great. This is how it should have been on Wii. The game looks great in HD. I feel like it transfers over so much better than Twilight Princess did. 60 FPS is a game changer, specifically for the motion controls.

It's neat seeing how much transfered over from here to BoTW. There is a lot more than I remembered. Kinda flabbergasted how amazing both these two games are with completely different designs philosophies. I hope we see some proper dungeons in BoTW2 like Skyward Sword. Maybe take the opposite approach, where the sky islands are just one huge dungeon/puzzle area similar to the land in Skyward Sword.

Also, please please please have loftwings in BoTW2.
basically the same. i enjoyed it so deeply back in 2011, only to read angry rants about the game the last ten years. i started to believe i missed something or that i was a blind fanboy. and hey, maybe i am the latter, but picking this up ten years later i find myself deeply invested in every aspect of it again — the puzzle/dungeon-like overworld sections, the dungeons, the ambiance, the characters and dialogue, the side missions, the look and sound of it, and most importantly the controls — i love these controls, and having to tap Y a few times (even if it's a few times a minute) seems so Whatever to me. outside of having to reset more, they feel more fluid and engaging this time. i love flying around in the sky.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Camera controls are a game changer in the spirit world trials. The lack of spatial awareness made them a chore on the Wii.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Nintendo will patch in a new control option that doesn't require holding the shoulder button for camera control?

Doubtful. And I am not really sure what the work around would be via the patch. Maybe a toggle to switch between camera/sword? Or holding L switches to sword controls?

Neither are ideal. Though admittedly neither is holding L for camera use. I guess the extra options would be nice.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Lanayru is definitely the highlight. The other two areas feel like amateur hour in comparison.

Echoing this! The time mechanic is just complete bonkers and flat out genius.

Spoiler tag just in case (pre 5th dungeon)
You're literally carrying the past around with you.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Lanayru is definitely the highlight. The other two areas feel like amateur hour in comparison. I think Faron Woods might be the low point and least interesting area in the entire series. It is partially why the game feels like it takes forever to start too. Even if the Skyloft opening section isn't as long as the one in Twilight Princess, Faron feels like an extended tutorial section, with all the activities being pretty boring. If Skyloft didn't kill my desire for a replay then this area did for sure. You could cut the filler quest like the Kikwi's search and nobody would think that anything was missing. The revisits are the worst ones too out of the three areas. If you cut all of them out the game becomes substantially better.
I agree. Skyward Sword has a whole slew of design and pacing issues that would take substantial revision outside the scope of this remaster to address.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to wait until probably Black Friday to get this on sale, but Gamestop already had it $10 off!

Ordered it just now and I'm picking it up from my local store once they email me.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to this really makes me appreciate the increased movement abilities and climbing in BotW. Link's limited movement in OoT and MM matched the limited geometry of the N64 worlds well but starting in the GCN era environments got increasingly complex while Link's movement options didn't keep pace. Skyward Sword's addition of the stamina meter and running up walls a bit does its best to alleviate this disparity but it can really only go so far. There's a lot of invisible walls and questions of "why can't I climb this."

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
God these motion controls are annoying. Feels like I'm having to constantly fight the game to do what I want. It also feels like I'm recalibrating every couple of minutes now. For how sloppy these controls feel, it's super frustrating about the precision they want.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
God these motion controls are annoying. Feels like I'm having to constantly fight the game to do what I want. It also feels like I'm recalibrating every couple of minutes now. For how sloppy these controls feel, it's super frustrating about the precision they want.

Work perfectly fine for myself. Very rare something doesn't come off the way I want.

I find a lot of people who struggle are waggling the controllers rather than just making simple controlled movements.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
How do you roll a bomb with curve using the motion controls? I can twist the controller to show curve on the arrow, but I can't actually swipe upwards to toss if the arrow is curved. It either fails or it releases straight.
I'm having trouble with this too, despite having mastered it just fine on Wii. Bombs go mostly straight or fail to toss regardless of how the arrow is curved.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm awakening to the reality that I'm the rare oddity who enjoys Skyward Sword but isn't as fond of the desert and mining facility as everyone else who does in fact like this game!
The dungeon is still the best one so far due to the increases in complexity, but the desert's trend of stamina meter management (the term management being used very loosely) and beetle bombing continue into the dungeon. The item within has always left me a bit underwhelmed, the Gust Bellows aims for a similar niche to the deku leaf's blow and perhaps more likely considering the director, the minish cap's gust jar. But while those items have multiple applications, the gust bellows is just all blow all the time, I guess the new twist is that it's a constant stream which has slightly different application that individual gusts I suppose, something that makes it OP as heck in smash bros.
Still the mining facility itself, despite a few slow going segments, has got a really unique vibe to it for the Zelda series, going from derelict desert warehouse to robo factory is unlike any other dungeon I can think of, the tech variants of old standbys like Beamos and Armos are neat as well. For any griping about gust bellows, the dungeon puts it to work immediately, the bits bringing it and the time shift zones together are novel

Before my next text dump, here's a handy tip for dealing with chu chus when you're just tired of having to correctly slice them all for the umpteenth time
Roll bombs into them, instead win

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holly shit joycons are expensive as hell and even worse you can't buy them separately. The R bumper on my right joycon finally decided to stop working. I have been having trouble with it in the last few months but it wasn't a big deal since I exclusively use the hori split pad pro and the pro controller. Surprisingly it didn't suffer from any drift issues even though it's 2017 launch model. At this point I'd rather wait for the OLED with how expensive the joycons are . I tried the button control and they aren't very good because you lose camera control unless you keep holding the L bumper.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The button controls work surprisingly well. I didn't think it was possible but they did a great job. I go back and forth between the two control schemes now depending on my mood.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The spectre of Skyward Sword's infamous busywork begins to loom in the gap between dungeon 3 and 4. Up until this point I honestly think the game paces itself mostly fine-ish outside of its frequent trend of making you think you're about to progress to important area/event only to roadblock you at the last moment, in essence these segments aren't doing anything bad by themselves, stuff like Eldin's key hunt or the desert detour don't feel quite like "oh come on..." to me, from here on though the game has a lot of more bits where you're going to do one task that turns into more tasks and it starts feeling a bit silly.
And yes I'm talking about the pinwheel/propeller mainly, I feel like maybe the snarky robot could be introduced later on for Eldin round 2, having it on top of the rest of the content in this between dungeons downtime makes it really feel less like a moment to cool down after the desert of endless puzzles, and more like ticking the tasks of a list that keeps growing.
And once again, it's not like the actual content is that bad (I single out the pinwheel because it's the one part that feels like it could be happily cut), It's just doled out in a way that harms the pacing for the main game progression.
But opinions I guess, you could feasibly cut out silent realms without having to tweak the game much, but I actually really dig those segments, the series best "stealth" segments AND tear segments, I'd weep for their loss honestly.

But man, it's a lot of STUFF, I get that this is supposed to be the classic big mid game moment section but...
Imprisoned - To Skyloft, fixing scrapper, finding the pinwheel - Thunder Head - Faron Silent Realm - Tree and Lake Floria - Return to Skyview
That's a lot of steps, the last of which is an interesting idea but coming at the end of this conga line with the justification of "I gotta get water, SPECIAL water" feels like a real padding moment, could've been a cool sidequest for Faron instead I feel.
Going back to part 1 of this list, It's funny how easy the imprisoned is when you know the tricks, Fi should actually have really lived up to her reputation and screamed at the player about the central air stream that puts you into the freefall, it's easily overlooked.

The last bit of waffle for me now, is the one motion control element I never liked back on the Wii, Swimming.
I'm something of a water level apologist, swimming is great! or it should be anyway, I think I finally nailed down why Skyward Sword's swimming bugs me in any case.
Link moves in a manner that makes tight movements awkward, the motion swimming isn't capable of making a quick turn or a loop and thus Link making a turn in the water is like an aquatic shopping trolley, that is unless you release the A button to halt motion control and then make the small adjustment with the stick, it's pretty inelegant and a janky way to turn the guy though not actually too dissimilar to previous Link in 3D swimming segments like the Zora mask (admit it, you bonk into walls more than you like to admit) or Zora armour (probably the cleanest movement but not the fastest).
Compared to the Loftwing which controls in a similar motion manner, it's 90% motion on the Loftwing's end, there's no odd breaks of adjusting the stick because you're on the water's surface or trying to get Link out of a tight spot, so it feels more consistent.
Anyway Fetchquest Faron beckons, but the payoff of Ancient Cistern makes it all worth it.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
CHARM. that's the word I'm seeing pop up over and over in this OP and that's what I'm loving about this.

There's a laundry list of complaints people have about this game, but they just don't hold a candle to the atmosphere of skyloft and the personality of its citizens. I love being in this version of the world and for me that overrides the negatives I bump into here and there.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect to hate the controls as much as I have. As someone with joy-con drift, should I use that or continue with the pro controller which I'm not really enjoying? What is the best of two bad options basically

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I love how different the Dutch translations are to the English. Cloudview Temple is called "temple of reflection" in Dutch which I find interesting! BotW is full of similar differences as well. The Dutch script doesn't seem to be based on the English one at all.

Didn't know that. Interesting. I wonder if there is something about the localization in your region specifically that prompted those changes.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play my switch handheld 99% but i wanted to try skyward on tv. Looks surprisingly good. I also have a magic mcable so it helps a bit.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't like this on the Wii. It looked like shit at 480p on my HDTV at the time and I hated the constant use of motion controls. But so far Im really like it on Switch. Button controls work well and all the quality of life improvements have helped it alot. Let's see if it keeps it up.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Overall I'm having fun, but I really miss the adventure/exploration of Zelda 1, ALTTP, ALBW, etc.

If they just gave you more to explore on the ground this would easily become one of my favorites. I like everything about it, but every area is just a small linear map with a lack of optional detours.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I love how different the Dutch translations are to the English. Cloudview Temple is called "temple of reflection" in Dutch which I find interesting! BotW is full of similar differences as well. The Dutch script doesn't seem to be based on the English one at all.
I bet it's more faithful to and based on the Japanese script. Also happens a lot with German translations. I play games in English but sometimes switch over to see what it looks like.

In BotW the "Divine Beasts" are called Titans in German, just like in Japanese if I remember correctly. Sweet and simple. English translations often seem to do their own thing, which I don't like at all.

Apr 9, 2019
Did the Skyloft side quest with the little girl after the first dungeon and had no idea where it was going. The payoff was ridiculous but cool! Felt a little Dragon Quest-like.

Ghirahim was not fun to fight for me. The inaccuracies of the motion controls were much more apparent there than earlier on. I also thought the telegraphing was really weird. That said I'm not a big fan of boss battles in general.

The rest of dungeon 1 was snappy, varied and even felt like a real place despite the obvious level-designy feel of the game. Looking forward to the next but also greatly enjoyed the downtime in Skyloft. It's an engaging little town - and the Pumpkin Inn (and Link's vandalism there xD) was very amusing!

Didn't know that. Interesting. I wonder if there is something about the localization in your region specifically that prompted those changes.
Would be cool to have access to a machine translated Japanese script to see what each translation took and changed from that. Link's Awakening had totally different (and more abstract) dungeon names in Dutch as well, giving each dungeon more of a personal feel for the mood Link is in at that moment.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Sure everyone's made the connection but it's Link's loftwing from this game that is on the Hylian shield.

The Hylian Shield existed a long time before Skyward Sword because the Thunder Dragon has the one in this game, said to be given to him by Hylia. The bird on it could be a Crimson Loftwing, but it isn't the one used by Link in this game.