Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reposting for new page:

ToTK: The Second Quest releases today, 05/12/24. It's a challenge-oriented mod suite that's been being worked on for a few months now. It adds some new content, rebalances a bunch of existing content, and essentially exists to give players a reason to revisit the game again, just as Master Mode did for BoTW. It can be played on a PC via emulation, or on a modded Switch.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
This game instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. They improved everything about BOTW and the ending sequence and song might be one of the best, if not the best, Zelda ending ever.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I think I'm going to beat it for the first time in a few days. I should have everything I need. It seems safe to say at this point that I found Breath of the Wild to be much more enjoyable, and overall, TOTK has been a disappointment for me, which hurts to say.

Jan 15, 2019
The best game I've ever played. Absolutely amazing experience. I still have 15-ish caves left to find, but otherwise I've done basically everything the game has to offer. The dungeons stand out as a huge improvement relative to BotW. Also loved how much the draw distance was able to be increased, that always bugged me in BotW and they practically needed to fix it for TotK's skydiving to work as it does.

Oct 25, 2017
Ngl i cannot *wait* for switch 2 and to replay botw and totk in higher res/fps (Yeah I know could do it via emulation blah blah blah whatever). The early bits of the game, exploring the unknown and having really scarce resources was a great deal of fun (that said there is something super fun about full stamina and a huge treasure chest of materials to fuck stuff up with)

Jun 1, 2023
TotK's a weird one for me, certainly enjoyed the majority of my time with it and agree with pretty much all the praise it gets (It's a fantastically designed game and probably the best piece of Software Nintendo's ever produced) but my experience with it didn't really leave a mark on me (and I was ready for it to be over) close to the level BotW did. For me it felt like TotK kinda came and went.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the fan artists reposting or sharing new art for the first anniversary. Said it in my other post, but this game has been blessed with an endless stream of beautiful fanart. Up top: a fan-made animation!

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
More posts from fan artists; didn't realize there was a limit per post.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Absolutely this. Sometimes I cant fathom the "best game of all time" comments or the high praise the game has when it got away being one of the most blatant overpriced DLC's Ive witnessed.
6134757048_6ca67e60e3_z.jpg

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I played BotW in preparation for this and, after not especially loving that game, somehow hyped myself up into thinking TotK would be the moment they refined the concepts into something truly special.

Fool me twice, I am Boo-boo the fool.

Look I don't wanna shit on anyone's parade but Open World Zelda is just, such a goddamn chore. For every good idea there's 20 million variations on it of varying quality. There's so little escalation of challenge in any puzzles, because everything has to be designed as if you stumbled onto it first and even then they're all shallow as a puddle. The enemy scaling just makes fights take longer. There's a fuckton of materials because crafting was a thing Zelda needed apparently.

These games are an exercise in taking like, 20 hours of solid content and stretching them across 100. The tragedy to me is that somewhere in here is that open-ended 3D Zelda I've wanted since I played Zelda 1 as a kid. The game that lets you walk into Level 8 within the first hour of play with no fanfare, and then bash your head against it until you beat it. My heart skipped a beat when I got to the Forgotten Temple, thinking that this was it. The game let me walk into a dungeon without funneling me through some asshole's generic sidestory for 4 hours.

May 7, 2020
I played BotW in preparation for this and, after not especially loving that game, somehow hyped myself up into thinking TotK would be the moment they refined the concepts into something truly special.

Fool me twice, I am Boo-boo the fool.

Look I don't wanna shit on anyone's parade but Open World Zelda is just, such a goddamn chore. For every good idea there's 20 million variations on it of varying quality. There's so little escalation of challenge in any puzzles, because everything has to be designed as if you stumbled onto it first and even then they're all shallow as a puddle. The enemy scaling just makes fights take longer. There's a fuckton of materials because crafting was a thing Zelda needed apparently.

These games are an exercise in taking like, 20 hours of solid content and stretching them across 100. The tragedy to me is that somewhere in here is that open-ended 3D Zelda I've wanted since I played Zelda 1 as a kid. The game that lets you walk into Level 8 within the first hour of play with no fanfare, and then bash your head against it until you beat it. My heart skipped a beat when I got to the Forgotten Temple, thinking that this was it. The game let me walk into a dungeon without funneling me through some asshole's generic sidestory for 4 hours.
This was absolutely my stance on Breath of the Wild so I can completely respect it.

I don't know, Tears just had that X-factor for me that hit where Breath didn't.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, once the wow factor of "how the fuck did they even do this?" wore off, I bounced off the game hard.

there's no denying that tears of the kingdom is an absolute technical marvel, probably the most impressive game nintendo's ever made from a programming and design standpoint ... and I think ultimately, that will be its legacy going forward. some people will really, really like what it does. and that's okay ... but I genuinely feel like there's little substance beyond the technical wizardy.

who knows, maybe I'll replay it years later and love it. the exact same thing happened to me with majora's mask -- hated it as a kid, then I played it as an adult, and it quickly shot into my top 10 games of all time. so there's definitely hope, but right now I really don't like it that much.

to me, breath of the wild is the vastly superior game in nearly every front.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Some more one-year-later musings. Thinking of things from TotK that I think will carry over in the series going forward after sitting on it for a while:

First - Caves and more seamlessly integrated linear dungeon design in general. Unlike most of Tears' other additions, this one was easily predictable and one of the most obvious things that could be improved from Breath. I expect it to continue to be improved upon in future installments.

Second, if there's one quintessential Zelda quality that I think Tears emphasized to the fullest - it's Link as the crafty toolsman who solves environmental logic puzzles/traversal using the tools he has. So many of the games systems support this - the physics and chemistry system, Ultrahand, Fuse… but at the center of it is the Zonai Devices - essentially consumable dungeon items. Of course, Ultrahand and Fuse allow these to stack upon eachother and become a more building/engineering thing and I think that will remain something that Tears calls it's own, but the idea of consumable dungeon items in general is something I think could go beyond Tears and become an open world Zelda staple. Maybe not exactly the execution of the Zonai devices, but I think it fits so well with the series conventions and is the perfect opportunity to elegantly place the "invisible guiding hand" in an open world because the developers can control which tools appear where while not limiting it to a single lock-and-key dungeon item

I think as we move past Breath and Tears, things we think might be staples will be upended in the next game. Since we're getting a wholly new world next time, perhaps it won't be design around climbing and paragliding and those'll be gone in favor of other traversal methods. But I do think those two things I mentioned are universal enough and in-line with series conventions to be iterated upon as we move to the next era of Zelda.

Last edited:

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I'm gonna be honest, once the wow factor of "how the fuck did they even do this?" wore off, I bounced off the game hard.

there's no denying that tears of the kingdom is an absolute technical marvel, probably the most impressive game nintendo's ever made from a programming and design standpoint ... and I think ultimately, that will be its legacy going forward. some people will really, really like what it does. and that's okay ... but I genuinely feel like there's little substance beyond the technical wizardy.

who knows, maybe I'll replay it years later and love it. the exact same thing happened to me with majora's mask -- hated it as a kid, then I played it as an adult, and it quickly shot into my top 10 games of all time. so there's definitely hope, but right now I really don't like it that much.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out while BotW worked for me and why TotK didn't.

It was a case of, what you're allowing me to do is impressive, but what you're asking me to do isn't fun to me. But also, I feel like immersive sims are a bit overlooked by this fanbase so there's a lot of standing on other shoulders that just gets ignored in regards to interactions.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
A really good game that failed to address a number of issues I had with the original. Glad they are moving on from the format and hopefully to something that takes the strengths of BOTW/TOTK but is wrapped in a more traditional package.

Mephariel

Dec 3, 2018
Incredible experience. Spent over 200 hours on it. I don't get people who said BOTW is better. Let's just put it this way, if BOTW was the sequel to TOTK instead of the other way around, it would have been a massive disappointment.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It was my GOTY for most of last year until Alan Wake II came out. Incredible game, and somehow even more impressive than BotW was.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
A masterpiece, soooo much better than BOTW, and on a technical side probably the most impressive game ever made. It still has some work to do with dungeons and more scripted gameplay sequences, the ones it had are some of the best of the entire series. It needs more, lots more, that's when the game is at its best.

Would love to find out in what areas you feel BOTW is better cause I can't find anything. Story not even close TOTK is leagues better. Dungeons, no contest TOTK is vastly better than the extremely simplistic boring beasts. Gameplay, TOTK lets you do pretty much everything BOTW does but 100x more freedom, it's BOTW on steroids. The quests are better, the exploration is better (sky, depths, caves), the combat is better because of the tolls you have. Bosses are a massive improvement.

The only only thing I can think of is the shrines were kind of a disappointment in TOTK. They rarely went passed the first level of a puzzle and all felt like just a tutorial for something you can build.

Obviously freshness is a thing so if that's key for you ok.

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Happy Anniversary! I've been adoring all the new fan-art, my god.

As for the game itself, it's an absolute technical marvel with some thrilling additions to gameplay via Ascend and Recall. Negatively, I felt like BotW's immersion was traded for a playground in TotK. I also missed the immediacy of some of the abilities from the first game, eg. Bomb Rune, Cryonis, Champion Abilities. That being said, I'm looking forward to hopeful Switch 2 release and/or patch to experience TotK with a fresh perspective.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece, soooo much better than BOTW, and on a technical side probably the most impressive game ever made. It still has some work to do with dungeons and more scripted gameplay sequences, the ones it had are some of the best of the entire series. It needs more, lots more, that's when the game is at its best.

Would love to find out in what areas you feel BOTW is better cause I can't find anything. Story not even close TOTK is leagues better. Dungeons, no contest TOTK is vastly better than the extremely simplistic boring beasts. Gameplay, TOTK lets you do pretty much everything BOTW does but 100x more freedom, it's BOTW on steroids. The quests are better, the exploration is better (sky, depths, caves), the combat is better because of the tolls you have. Bosses are a massive improvement.

The only only thing I can think of is the shrines were kind of a disappointment in TOTK. They rarely went passed the first level of a puzzle and all felt like just a tutorial for something you can build.

I'd actually strongly disagree on "exploration is better". You're given so many options to get to the sky that the optimal travel solution is basically always teleport to a tower, shoot yourself miles in to the air and glide, completely ignoring the terrain. You hardly ever have to consider getting to vantage points to get a better look around you, or how you want to get to a place like in BOTW. And that's without even mentioning sticking 2 fans and a stick together.

The story also definitely isn't "not even close".

TOTKs dungeons are also less mechanically inspired than the three dimensional manipulation of the divine beasts; they're basically only conclusively superior in theming.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I enjoyed it just about as much as I enjoyed BotW. I liked the sky, but the depths were really samey and dragged on too much. Had to take a break and return to it a couple of months later, but I finished it at least. Still a lot of side-quests to do if I ever return to it, but the same could be said of BotW, so idk.

I hope they do something else next time.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I hope the next game is more about adventure than playing with toys. Vastly prefer BOTW for that reason

Jan 23, 2024

This is where I'm at. It's an absolute technical marvel that the extraordinarily versatile physics-based systems run so smoothly on such old hardware. Experimenting with puzzles and realizing the game accounts for, and mostly does not even care if you "break" the puzzles or solve them in ways that were not intended. Seeing these on top of the already winning formula of BotW really puts into perspective how technical a leap it is under the hood, even if it deceptively looks like the same game at a glance.

However, the tools and systems being there wasn't quite enough for me to spend as much time on it as I did BotW, which was like 60-70 hrs before finishing it. TotK I played for about 30, only did one dungeon, and didn't come back. I think it was mostly the fact that the sky islands were way too sparse and felt extraordinarily undercooked, and while the underground was at first impressive when you realize it spans the entire map, quickly becomes a bore when you later realize that the gameplay loop established in the first 30 or so minutes of the underground map is recycled for the entirety of the underground area.

It made the vast majority of the experience still revolve around the same landmass as the first game. Not that there weren't large changes between games in the map, because there certainly were, but all in all the sheen wore off quickly for me.

It's interesting for me because while BotW is a vastly simpler game on a technical level, it being the first was a much more fresh experience than TotK, which bafflingly felt marginally additive to an already fantastic experience despite the systems themselves being truly transformative. It's like I wouldn't consider TotK a disappointment but I just don't feel as strongly about it as I felt for BotW.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
GotY 2023.

It's true that it didn't amaze me like BotW, but that's normal since Breath came out first.

It was a close call between it and Alan Wake 2 for Game of the Year, even though I'm convinced of Zelda's superiority. But Alan Wake 2 offered one of the most beautiful atmospheres and scenarios I've ever seen. In the end, I settled on TotK as the better game.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'd actually strongly disagree on "exploration is better". You're given so many options to get to the sky that the optimal travel solution is basically always teleport to a tower, shoot yourself miles in to the air and glide, completely ignoring the terrain. You hardly ever have to consider getting to vantage points to get a better look around you, or how you want to get to a place like in BOTW. And that's without even mentioning sticking 2 fans and a stick together.

The story also definitely isn't "not even close".

TOTKs dungeons are also less mechanically inspired than the three dimensional manipulation of the divine beasts; they're basically only conclusively superior in theming.

You are going to be in the extreme minority if you think the story of BOTW is better than TOTK, just look at the worst 3D Zelda story thread, BOTW is in the lead.

I don't agree at all with the dungeons. The dungeons in TORK have actual new items and gameplay mechanics unlike BOTW which is always just find the thing that moves the beast around to open up sections. There are unique enemies, unique challenges, actual level design. Plus the lead up to the dungeons is far better than the things you do in BOTW. In Rito village you are bouncing in the sky across giant airships. In Zora domain navigating low gravity spaces that opens up all kinds of cool puzzles.

TOTK has the spirit of classic Zelda games, something missing from BOTW

Cebrudras

Oct 27, 2017
It's a weird game to evaluate for me. From an engineering perspective it's definitely a complete marvel, but the actual design so often feels kinda awkward and disjointed. The bits of BOTW that are poking out everywhere don't fit well with the new stuff. The best example are the controls and menus, but, like, the vibe of the actual world also feels unfitting for this new experience.
TOTK might well be the GOAT if you use amount of cool as your metric, but I just dislike that lack of coherence so much. And it's definitely more than a DLC, but they did imo fail to not make it less than a full new from-the-ground-up game. I had a lot of fun but expected more from the team that delivered BOTW.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

Would you? Because it doesn't sound like you're open to other interpretation.

I like BotW's story better.
I find the world to be more cohesive with less busy work for the sake of it.
I'm not wandering into cities wondering why people interacted with don't recognize me.
Armors are better by a mile and the unlocking the fairies is less of a chore.
Wasn't a fan of the menu for arrows compared to just having elemental arrows.
The champion abilities are worse and more difficult to control to a baffling degree.
I like the dungeons better. There's no multi hour climb to them. Boarding them was legitimately some of the most fun I ever had playing Zelda. And being able to control them from the inside is a solid mechanic.

In TotK's favor
I like the look of the shrines better.
I like single weapon type challenges.
Enemy raids were cool.
I like the central town.
Rewind was the coolest new ability.

A lot of its additions I just straight up didn't like. More isn't necessarily better, it's just more.

Took a Friday and Monday off work on release. Paid my $70, jumped in, wondered why it felt off, restarted again and tried and got through dozens of hours before accepting that I just like id moment to moment.

You are going to be in the extreme minority if you think the story of BOTW is better than TOTK, just look at the worst 3D Zelda story thread, BOTW is in the lead.

And? Do you shape your opinions on the thoughts of others? Also, you say this like TotK isn't in second place so "extreme minority" isn't even accurate.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BotW and TotK are in my top 3 games of the last 35 years lol They both go for something different and I just love it!

I'm still shocked how my brother didn't notice the connection between the normal map and the depth and how or just an easy mode for shrine hunting lol

Oct 25, 2017
I was typng oout my post in the Zelda game thread and although I don't have an opinion (having never played it) on it I wanted to search for Forspoken as an idea of how a Zelda game's plot or gameplay could be featured.

I didn't know the name of the game.

I sure as hell didn't google 'game that is new with cool idea featuring protagonist reacting spontaneously to surrounding world like a modern person would'.

I googled 'that game where the girl talked too much.' Because I speak Gamer.

My point is, it sounds like games that people enjoy like they enjoy TOTK seem to be (mostly) widely praised, for a variety of things.

If there's a narrower range of things (the game has Batman in it, let's say) well then people say it's good because Batman.

How come the Zelda game needs to be dragged down?

Why can't we just accept the Batman fan might be pre-disposed to enjoying a Batman game that - gasp - you didn't like. Your Batman-hating opinion isn't more valid than my their opinion.

Is it?

I don't know if a certain user has ESP but as I was trying to remember the name of the game I had to google, they actually went and stole my idea and said a Zelda game like Forspoken might be good.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
For everything I loved about TOTK, I also hated something about it:
  • Love the story, hate the fact that you'll probably get to see it completely out of order which invalidated some beats and twists completely.
  • Love the fact that you can sequence break, hate that the game treats it very matter of factly.
  • Love the added layers (Sky/Depths) conceptually, hate that they're mostly undercooked.
  • Love Ultrahand, hate that I managed to get by fine with a hoverbike and an angry roomba.