kxs

Jul 25, 2022
An excellent game. Personally, I am enjoying it more than BOTW.

I found BOTW sparse while TOTK seems like an open world with a lot of things going on at all times.

I put 90 hours in it still haven't finished it yet. It's one of those games that I feel works better when you don't binge it and slowly play it over a span of months.

My favourite part of the game is exploration. No game has done this better than TOTK.

I find the shrines can be a bit of a chore at times.

I like the side quests but I wish they were a bit more high stakes. It feels like there aren't many good rewards for doing these missions.

Still amazed how this game doesn't have many bugs, glitches etc. It's a very polished game. Technically impressive.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
The second half of last year was pretty much just me slowly playing through TotK and BG3 due to lack of time, so it's hard to believe it's already a year old when it still feels fairly recent to me.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
What Zelda game would you say is more impressive?

If I had to pick one, it would be a Link to the Past. At its time, the bredth and scope were amazing. If I had to pick a 3D Zelda, it would most likely be OOT. To be fair, I place BotW and TotK pretty low on my Zelda list. To me both of these games are great "sandboxes" to play in and have super interesting mechanics. I Just personally don't think they are great Zelda games although I admin I'm probably in the minority there.

Nov 5, 2017
Really enjoyed what I played. I was very much into it going into last summer, got to the Fire Temple (with all the mine carts), got very confused on what to do, and lost all interest in it. Same thing happened to me with BotW. Never finished that, either. One day, I guess.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to pick one, it would be a Link to the Past. At its time, the bredth and scope were amazing. If I had to pick a 3D Zelda, it would most likely be OOT. To be fair, I place BotW and TotK pretty low on my Zelda list. To me both of these games are great "sandboxes" to play in and have super interesting mechanics. I Just personally don't think they are great Zelda games although I admin I'm probably in the minority there.
I would agree, though I do think both games are very good overall. They're just lacking in some important areas other games in the series simply aren't. OoT, aLttP, LA, MM are all more complete and better-rounded games.

A marriage between the open-air Zelda's and the more structured ones of days past would be the ideal game imo. But then again, that's a very uncreative way of looking at it and I'd rather Nintendo surprise us all yet again with whatever they're cooking up for the future.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
I would agree, though I do think both games are very good overall. They're just lacking in some important areas other games in the series simply aren't. OoT, aLttP, LA, MM are all more complete and better-rounded games.

A marriage between the open-air Zelda's and the more structured ones of days past would be the ideal game imo. But then again, that's a very uncreative way of looking at it and I'd rather Nintendo surprise us all yet again with whatever they're cooking up for the future.

I really like A Link Between Worlds and I think that very much falls in line of more traditional Zelda game, but more open feel by letting you rent tools and attack the dungeons in any way possible. I really liked playing BotW, I just never felt like it was a Zelda game. It was more akin to a physics sandbox than a Zelda game. TotK is even worse in the sense that its not even a surprise in its structure vs BotW. Again, TotK is a ton of fun to play in, but I never felt the Zelda joy that I have in previous games.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love A Link to the Past. It's one of my top 3 games of all time probably. And Ocarina of Time was fantastic and game changing. But I'd argue that neither of those are particularly impressive by today's standards. Meanwhile, the amount of mechanics and things happening under the hood in Tears of the Kingdom is insane. I like A Link to the Past more than Tears of the Kingdom, but TotK is far more impressive.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
What an incredible game, the feeling of being able to do or see or make or experience anything, living and surviving off the land and your ingenuity as a player, going on a true adventure. After beating it earlier this year, I still think about it all the time...how is this game even possible on a Nintendo Switch?

Sometimes I think that I want them to go back to the smaller scale, more story-driven/lock and key Zelda games from the past, but I'm sure I'd feel restricted/constrained the second they did that, lol.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
I love A Link to the Past. It's one of my top 3 games of all time probably. And Ocarina of Time was fantastic and game changing. But I'd argue that neither of those are particularly impressive by today's standards. Meanwhile, the amount of mechanics and things happening under the hood in Tears of the Kingdom is insane. I like A Link to the Past more than Tears of the Kingdom, but TotK is far more impressive.
I think we may be dancing around the same thing. I do think both BotW and TotK are technically impressive in the systems that that have and the uniquie solutions you can sometimes make. I just don't feel like I'm playing a Zelda game while i'm doing it. Like, i had a ton of fun bouncing from shirine to shrine in either game, but I was propelled forward mostly just doing these "puzzle boxes" than by anything Zelda related.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Haven't finished it yet (did two temples so far, the wind temple and the lightning temple).

So far, despite all the work and love that went into this, it feels like two different halves of two different games and is missing the halves of those games that brings it all together.

We have the the sandboxy elements, without there really being a whole lot of content that was compelling me to embrace the sandboxy elements. The sidequests I've done so far that involved building felt a bit more tech-demo-y than puzzles.

The new layers added to the world (sky and underground) also aren't compelling to explore IMO. The sky is too "these islands are for one or two tasks", and the underground is this massive space without much interesting besides the fact that you can get some materials. I've already explored the land in the previous games, so I'm encouraged to just go straight to quests from my quest log instead of explore which is the opposite of how BOTW encouraged me to traverse.

Then the two temples I've been too so far have fallen really flat at making any of the powers interesting. The lightning temple in particular honestly seemed like a joke compared to the divine beasts from BOTW, which says a lot.

There's a big focus on story but so far I'm now doing the exact same repeated story with Sidon as the other two, complete with everything being paced the exact same and some cutscenes almost being word-for-word copies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
An excellent game. Personally, I am enjoying it more than BOTW.

I found BOTW sparse while TOTK seems like an open world with a lot of things going on at all times.

I put 90 hours in it still haven't finished it yet. It's one of those games that I feel works better when you don't binge it and slowly play it over a span of months.

My favourite part of the game is exploration. No game has done this better than TOTK.

I find the shrines can be a bit of a chore at times.

I like the side quests but I wish they were a bit more high stakes. It feels like there aren't many good rewards for doing these missions.

Still amazed how this game doesn't have many bugs, glitches etc. It's a very polished game. Technically impressive.
Agreed. BOTW was great but definitely felt a bit like a proof of concept. For me it was more like an 8/10 and TOTK is a 10/10 and my new favorite entry in the Zelda series. I put about 45 hours into BOTW and over 120 hours into TOTK. I pretty much never play open world games anywhere near this much so that's the highest praise I can give.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
It was alright. Def BOTW 1.5 but I understand it is not the devs fault (mainly Covid and a lack of direction). The reused open world is probably the biggest hype deflator of all time. Lack of enemy variety continues to be a problem. Even Oblivion nearly 20 years later had better variety. Wish it had a lot more towns and some sort of MP in it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Pound for pound the most impressive game of all time IMO.
So true. The shit you can pull off in this game was so impressive.

It had a lot of great and solid traditional video game content too. But if you were creative and wanted to try some bullshit, man this game's limit for what you can do is incredibly high.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I made this post in reply to someone else, but honestly I think it works better on its own. Less confrontational, too.

If there's one thing that I've dwelled on over this past year when it comes to TotK, it's how much I genuinely appreciated its story, and how little I always cared for the 'but nobody recognises Link!' style of complaints surrounding it.

Said complaints are somewhat weird to begin with. Whilst there are some noticeable exceptions (Hestu & Bolson most notably), numerous relevant NPCs do know who you are. But even before that, I don't see why every random NPC needs to reference that they know who Link, specifically, is. The dude's a near-mute, highly-stoic soldier who is - for the most part - just Zelda's body-guard. For the majority of Hyrule's population, Link will have been that guy who showed up years back to do some random shit just before the Divine Beast/Calamity Ganon issue was fixed. Whilst those he interacted with most will, and do, acknowledge that, it's not like every random shopkeeper or townsperson is going to go "oh my god! Link!" at every meeting.

Most importantly is how, on a gameplay front, Link is still, well, Link. The 'Link' between player and world. Having Link be a major celebrity akin to Iron Man or Spider-Man would inherently break that connection, and for little actual thematic benefit. Making those who are new to the franchise more confused than is really necessary. It's always worth remembering that Nintendo makes these games for everyone, and for Nintendo 'everyone' includes all the kids who grew up into 'playing their first Zelda game' ages in the 6 year period between the two titles.

Though, really, I often find that the "what about the Sheikah tech?!" or "why don't people recognise Link!?" questions ignore so many of the ways in which the game does connect to its predecessor, or how said connections relate more to the game's artistic themes than simple lore explanations ever could.

Zelda, arguably the real main character of these games' stories, is shown to have grown significantly between the two titles and, fittingly, is far more well-known than her rando bodyguard. Pre-existing settlements have changed in ways that make thematic sense with what came before. Again, every major NPC has taken a new and/or improved role befitting of what happened to them in BotW. Even some of the most minor 'random side quest' characters from the first game are given some unique role in the second that shows natural growth between games. Like the sisters who move from wild mushroom hunting, to caving for even rarer mushrooms, the random band of amateur adventurers in the Gerudo Desert going on to helm the anti-Monster crews, or the traveller you find in Hateno village having settled down with the girl who works at the Inn.

Yes, the nitty-gritty details aren't always there... but, to me, TotK represented one of a very, very small number of sequels where the world it takes place in feels like it's genuinely progressed. There's so much growth and change within the game's myriad of stories, and - even if they're simple stories - I find the near-constant positivity and optimism throughout them to be genuinely refreshing. Where BotW has a world simply trying to survive in the ruins of a major disaster, TotK has a world that's doing its utmost best to create, and do, new things with itself. One where the majority care more about learning, and enriching the land around them, than they do about murdering another faction or whatever. One that's so unique in a gameplay landscape where practically every world represents the worst of humanity far, far more often than the best of it.

Idk; I just find that people tend hyperfocus too much on the areas in which the game's story and world 'falters' in the context of a sequel, instead of placing any real attention on the way those things succeed, or even giving them a chance to succeed. I mean, it's not like said hyperfocus has ever been Nintendo's own 'thing' to begin with. So many of the questions about "why doesn't 'x' happen in TotK?" can really just boil down to how Nintendo always does sequels: they want to create 'legends' that are more focused on thematic and gameplay-oriented cores, than detailed lore and narratives that make 100% perfect sense. Storybooks and fabled told by the campfire, instead of a gameplay version of the Silmarillion. After all it's pretty much always been the fans who have pestered them to make 'more lore' for the franchise. With Nintendo's attempts to appease such pestering leading to clearly half-assed efforts like the 'official Zelda timeline', which tried to piece together a canon made up of Legends into some concrete things. A mistake on Nintendo's part, tbqh.

So to conclude with a particularly spicy point... I found TotK's world to be more interesting and impactful overall than The Lands Between. I'd elaborate but, tbh, I don't want to lol.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I made this post in reply to someone else, but honestly I think it works better on its own. Less confrontational, too.

If there's one thing that I've dwelled on over this past year when it comes to TotK, it's how much I genuinely appreciated its story, and how little I always cared for the 'but nobody recognises Link!' style of complaints surrounding it.

Said complaints are somewhat weird to begin with. Whilst there are some weird exceptions (Hestu & Bolson most notably), numerous relevant NPCs do know who you are, for one. But even before that, I don't see why every random NPC needs to reference that they know who Link, specifically, is. The dude's a near-mute, highly-stoic soldier who is - for the most part - just Zelda's body-guard. For the majority of Hyrule's population, Link will have been that guy who showed up years back to do some random shit just before the Divine Beast/Calamity Ganon issue was fixed. Whilst those he interacted with most will, and do, acknowledge that, it's not like every random shopkeeper or townsperson is going to go "oh my god! Link!" at every meeting.

Though, really, I often find that the "what about the Sheikah tech?!" or "why don't people recognise Link!?" questions ignore so many of the ways in which the game does connect to its predecessor, or how said connections relate more to the game's artistic themes than simple lore explanations ever could.

Zelda, arguably the real main character of these games' stories, is shown to have grown significantly between the two titles and, fittingly, is far more well-known than her rando bodyguard. Pre-existing settlements have changed in ways that make thematic sense with what came before. Again, every major NPC has taken a new and/or improved role befitting of what happened to them in BotW. Even some of the most minor 'random side quest' characters from the first game are given some unique role in the second that shows natural growth between games. Like the sisters who move from wild mushroom hunting, to caving for even rarer mushrooms, the random band of amateur adventurers in the Gerudo Desert going on to helm the anti-Monster crews, or the traveller you find in Hateno village having settled down

Yes, the nitty-gritty details aren't always there... but, to me, TotK represented one of a very, very small number of sequels where the world it takes place in feels like it's genuinely progressed. There's so much growth and change within the game, and - even if they're simple stories - I find the near-constant positivity and optimism throughout to be genuinely refreshing. Where BotW has a world simply trying to survive in the ruins of a major disaster, TotK has a world that's doing its utmost best to create, and do, new things with itself. One that's so unique in a gameplay landscape where practically every world represents the worst of humanity far, far more often than the best of it.

Idk; I just find that people tend hyperfocus too much on the areas in which the game's story and world 'falters' in the context of a sequel, instead of placing any real attention on the way those things succeed, or even giving them a chance to succeed. I mean, it's not like said hyperfocus has ever been Nintendo's own 'thing' to begin with. So many of the questions about "why doesn't 'x' happen in TotK?" can really just boil down to how Nintendo always does sequels: they want to create 'legends' that are more focused on thematic and gameplay-oriented cores, than detailed lore and narratives that make 100% perfect sense. Storybooks and fabled told by the campfire, instead of a gameplay version of the Silmarillion. After all it's pretty much always been the fans who have pestered them to make 'more lore' for the franchise. With Nintendo's attempts to appease such pestering leading to clearly half-assed efforts like the 'official Zelda timeline', which tried to piece together a canon made up of Legends into some concrete things. A mistake on Nintendo's part, tbqh.

So to conclude with a particularly spicy point... I found TotK's world to be more interesting and impactful overall than The Lands Between. I'd elaborate but, tbh, I don't want to lol.
Excellent post!

Zinogah

Feb 12, 2023
Maryland
Despite whatever (ultimately minor) issues I have with it, I'm still left thinking "yeah this is probably the best game ever made".

Zinogah

Feb 12, 2023
Maryland

Said complaints are somewhat weird to begin with. Whilst there are some weird exceptions (Hestu & Bolson most notably), numerous relevant NPCs do know who you are, for one. But even before that, I don't see why every random NPC needs to reference that they know who Link, specifically, is. The dude's a near-mute, highly-stoic soldier who is - for the most part - just Zelda's body-guard. For the majority of Hyrule's population, Link will have been that guy who showed up years back to do some random shit just before the Divine Beast/Calamity Ganon issue was fixed. Whilst those he interacted with most will, and do, acknowledge that, it's not like every random shopkeeper or townsperson is going to go "oh my god! Link!" at every meeting.

Zelda, arguably the real main character of these games' stories, is shown to have grown significantly between the two titles and, fittingly, is far more well-known than her rando bodyguard. Pre-existing settlements have changed in ways that make thematic sense with what came before. Again, every major NPC has taken a new and/or improved role befitting of what happened to them in BotW. Even some of the most minor 'random side quest' characters from the first game are given some unique role in the second that shows natural growth between games. Like the sisters who move from wild mushroom hunting, to caving for even rarer mushrooms, the random band of amateur adventurers in the Gerudo Desert going on to helm the anti-Monster crews, or the traveller you find in Hateno village having settled down

Yes, the nitty-gritty details aren't always there... but, to me, TotK represented one of a very, very small number of sequels where the world it takes place in feels like it's genuinely progressed. There's so much growth and change within the game's myriad of stories, and - even if they're simple stories - I find the near-constant positivity and optimism throughout them to be genuinely refreshing. Where BotW has a world simply trying to survive in the ruins of a major disaster, TotK has a world that's doing its utmost best to create, and do, new things with itself. One where the majority care more about learning, and enriching the land around them, than they do about murdering another faction or whatever. One that's so unique in a gameplay landscape where practically every world represents the worst of humanity far, far more often than the best of it.

This genuinely made me reevaluate how I felt about TotK's writing. Well done.

hunnies28

Sep 16, 2020
I really enjoyed this game. I didn't think they could repeat the sense of discovery that BOTW had. I only had a bit of a weird experience with the first temple. Early on in the game as I was exploring I somehow managed to make my way to the first temple ( I call it first but in reality it was the one in the sky) and at the time I was really excited as I somehow was making good enough progress with it. So after a while I come upon a switch the I just could not interact with even after trying everything I could think of. Turns out I need to progress enough in the story quest to reach this temple with the Rito hero just so I could interact with the switch, this put me off more than I expected and I was discouraged from straying to far from the expected quest path (for lack of a better term).

I feel that they could've done more with the underground area. It seems that it's only there to farm materials for the batteries.

Looking back I think that those are my only issues with the game.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Wow what an amazing ending, amazing final fights and cinematics, pure joy and bliss ❤️
One of the best from the Legend of Zelda

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i really do have good memories of the setpieces. alas i found the world a bit less interesting than BOTW probably because the depths and the sky were relatively empty with no (really good) sense of community or history there (well the depths has some but it's archeological in nature where you're like 'woah that's fucked up. anyway')

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
For some reason I barely made it out of the tutorial. Was super hyped for it and then it released and I just kinda never got around to it.

All the really cool creations you saw online (and the many experimentations that led to them) required you to use exploits that allowed you to get unlimited resources, dupe items, etc.

Making all the cool mechanical parts limited and expensive kinda stopped normies from taking part in the fun.

Also game just didn't hold my interest the way Breath of the Wild did. The sense of wonder was gone.
I loooved BotW which I had 270 hours in. I was excited for TotK, but even after 20 hours into the game I just didn't get it. I felt completely directionless and wasn't a fan of crafting. Plus seeing so few references to the previous game's characters was weird. It was like a weird alternate universe.

It's a shame because I know it's a good game, I can't deny the overwhelmingly positive response from everyone else. But it just wasn't my game. Maybe I'll try again some day.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I loooved BotW which I had 270 hours in. I was excited for TotK, but even after 20 hours into the game I just didn't get it. I felt completely directionless and wasn't a fan of crafting. Plus seeing so few references to the previous game's characters was weird. It was like a weird alternate universe.

It's a shame because I know it's a good game, I can't deny the overwhelmingly positive response from everyone else. But it just wasn't my game. Maybe I'll try again some day.

I really do suggest you keep going eventually, I didnt got into the building but for me the temples and the final fight were supreme. I still gotta do more sidequests.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Said complaints are somewhat weird to begin with. Whilst there are some noticeable exceptions (Hestu & Bolson most notably), numerous relevant NPCs do know who you are. But even before that, I don't see why every random NPC needs to reference that they know who Link, specifically, is. The dude's a near-mute, highly-stoic soldier who is - for the most part - just Zelda's body-guard. For the majority of Hyrule's population, Link will have been that guy who showed up years back to do some random shit just before the Divine Beast/Calamity Ganon issue was fixed. Whilst those he interacted with most will, and do, acknowledge that, it's not like every random shopkeeper or townsperson is going to go "oh my god! Link!" at every meeting.

Most importantly is how, on a gameplay front, Link is still, well, Link. The 'Link' between player and world. Having Link be a major celebrity akin to Iron Man or Spider-Man would inherently break that connection, and for little actual thematic benefit. Making those who are new to the franchise more confused than is really necessary. It's always worth remembering that Nintendo makes these games for everyone, and for Nintendo 'everyone' includes all the kids who grew up into 'playing their first Zelda game' ages in the 6 year period between the two titles.

Zelda, arguably the real main character of these games' stories, is shown to have grown significantly between the two titles and, fittingly, is far more well-known than her rando bodyguard. Pre-existing settlements have changed in ways that make thematic sense with what came before. Again, every major NPC has taken a new and/or improved role befitting of what happened to them in BotW. Even some of the most minor 'random side quest' characters from the first game are given some unique role in the second that shows natural growth between games. Like the sisters who move from wild mushroom hunting, to caving for even rarer mushrooms, the random band of amateur adventurers in the Gerudo Desert going on to helm the anti-Monster crews, or the traveller you find in Hateno village having settled down with the girl who works at the Inn.

I always loved your thoughts on this last year, and yeah, still love your take on it. Great post.

I get being weirded out at Hestu and Bolson but the game has a ton of continuity that people don't give it credit for and it's always been frustrating watching it be glossed over in favor of the more surface level cinema sins lore nitpicks. I definitely agree about the thematic core being very strong, especially with how the world had progressed compared to BotW.