• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-crop-1-e1663130098191.png

The bottom line: After an hour with a game that will last far longer, Tears of the Kingdom appears to exemplify the inevitable Zelda franchise ebb to more complex experiences.

• 1998's streamlined classic The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time led to 2000's time-looping head-spinner Majora's Mask. The elegant 2002 Wind Waker eventually led to 2011's creative but cumbersome Skyward Sword.
  • With Tears of the Kingdom, Zelda is getting complicated again.
Axios

It's difficult to gauge a game as sprawling as Tears of the Kingdom after playing for only an hour, but the potential combination of Breath of the Wild's wonder with Minecraft's creativity makes this seem like another potentially big winner for Nintendo.
Bloomberg

I wasn't ready to leave the demo station and I L-O-V-E-D my experience with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In addition, I really found it exciting to see that they showed us the new powers in Link's arsenal before leaving us to our own devices. I felt a lot less rushed as I was able to think outside of the box without worrying about constraints normally left in by developers.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom also looks incredible and it's colourful, feeling like you're often bathed in light. Everything around you comes alive with the wind, sunlight, and life itself, whether you are in Hyrule or Skyrule. The music is always so soothing and relaxing when you walk around and the tension goes up a notch the moment you are seen by enemies or directly during fights.

The puzzles are both simple and complex. In fact, as I said earlier: everything will depend only on you and your ability to analyze and solve these.
To wrap it all up, unfortunately, I can't tell you about the lore that surrounds the game since everything was thought out only to show us the gameplay and how to get started with the game, but I can tell you one thing: if the story is as pleasant as what the adventure reveals to us through these gratifying puzzles and its action that is both intense and fun, you will have in front of you a game which, clearly, is likely to be talked about even more than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Console Creatures

Leaving my hands-on demo, I'm equal parts excited and intimidated by what The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom brings to the table. On one hand, I cannot wait to see just how clever and nearly game-breaking we can get using these various mechanics; it's truly amazing to see Nintendo react to the community's creativity in Breath of the Wild with a sequel that leans into how players used the mechanics in ways they probably never thought of. In giving players even more tools (and just as many new problems to solve), Nintendo is showing it's not afraid of letting players loose in a massive open world with perhaps the most open-ended mechanics it has ever implemented.
Game Informer

While the demo showed off the massive scope and versatility in just a few small areas, it feels like I've barely scratched the surface. My demo included absolutely no story content, I didn't explore any shrines, and I'm no closer to answering the question of whether Tears of the Kingdom will include more traditional Zelda dungeons. There's a lot of mystery left to uncover, even after receiving a much better sense of the new building tools.

That mystery, like the brain-bending amount of customization and creativity that will surely extend from these tools, will be something players will have to explore together when the game launches on May 12. Starting then, just like the first game and perhaps even more so, the community of Zelda fans will get to plumb its depths together. Tears of the Kingdom looks to be Nintendo inspired by its own fans' creativity, and next month, that cycle will start all over again.
Gamespot

All in all, from Ultrahand to Fuse and dozens of sky islands, these are just some of the things that make this game - the rare direct sequel to a previous Zelda game - feel the most fresh so far. That's because lots of animations, objects, outfits, sounds, and more feel very similar to Breath of the Wild, which is admittedly a slight letdown based on how much of that game hinged around surprise and discovery. But Tears of the Kingdom is layered (or, uh, tiered) and the way you interact with nearly everything has evolved in creative and dramatic ways, so I have little doubt that there won't be a million new things to do and see in the full game. For now, I'm giddy to not only experience it all myself but to also see how the surely massive player base will make and break this game in brilliant and silly ways. With every puzzle and conflict having such a ridiculous array of solutions, the results will likely be endlessly astonishing and entertaining, especially if you look at what hardcore Breath of the Wild players have already been doing for years in a game where it often feels like you weren't supposed to do those things. Nintendo has taken that ideology and legalized it in Tears of the Kingdom and that's immensely exciting, even if it means there will be lots of hilarious fumbling and falling along the way.
IGN

As I write this, thinking back on my brief time with Tears of the Kingdom, my mind is racing with the things I didn't try. Few games have met my goblin tendencies with their own goblin tendencies so confidently. My looming concern is whether the bounty of tools Tears of the Kingdom provides might be overwhelming in the long run. Furthermore, just how much sustained prodding can it take? At what point might I peer behind the curtain to see something Nintendo didn't intend on me discovering? Tears of the Kingdom seems intent on allowing chaos to thrive, and that's a dangerous game to play.
Polygon

So during my relatively brief preview, while I didn't get to see if the world of Tears of the Kingdom had the same sense of incredible density as Breath of the Wild – and it's always tempting to fall into the trap of assuming everything you haven't seen is as great as what you have – it did give me the same daunting feeling of vastness and almost endless exploration.

It would be hyperbolic to say if you were late to the party and played 100 hours of Breath of the Wild recently, rather than in 2017, you're still going to find Tears of the Kingdom completely different. However, the new additions to the core loop make do make this feel like a full sequel, not just an update. The Fuse power steals the show, letting you take an experimental approach to almost everything you encounter.
VG247

I played 70 minutes of the game during a highly curated, in-person preview event held by Nintendo in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Journalists in attendance were the first outside of Nintendo's inner sanctum to have hands-on experience with the year's most anticipated title, which releases May 12. Those minutes washed away any fear that this is a mere update to 2017′s critical and commercial hit "Breath of the Wild," which has sold more than 29 million copies and was often bought along with the Nintendo Switch console. "Tears" will bring many features never seen before in the series.
Washington Post

I wasn't even able to see any of the story reveals, major characters, cutscenes, any of the dungeons, or any of the more elaborate locations. It was just the sandbox for now. But that sandbox is so dense and so promising that when you fuse that with your knowledge of this series and the exceptionally high bar it always maintains, it's difficult to not get very, very excited. Unsurprisingly, Tears of the Kingdom looks to be another classic in the making, and I cannot wait to get lost in Hyrule all over again.
WellPlayed

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We are sooooooooooo back. Seeing Link soar into the South Hyrule Sky Archipelago in that IGN vid with zero frame dips is a genuinely impressive technical feat.

vLLhtXX.png

www.ign.com

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Hands-On Preview: It Lets You Test Out Your Craziest Ideas - IGN

We played The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for hours, and we want to tell you all about our hands-on impressions of Link's latest adventure.
On a technical level, everything I played ran at a consistent framerate - so far, at least. Breath of the Wild was a launch game for the Nintendo Switch and ran into occasional dips in framerate in dense outdoor areas like the Korok Forest. For years Nintendo fans have speculated that Tears of the Kingdom would launch alongside a more powerful Nintendo Switch Pro model so bigger, more resource intensive games wouldn't run into framerate issues but unless Nintendo has been secretly hiding a next gen console for the Tears of the Kingdom launch day (spoilers: they're not) then the six year old Nintendo Switch hardware will have to do. Most of the sections I've played of Tears of the Kingdom took place in the sky and ran fairly smoothly, so we'll have to see how things fare once Link starts fighting a bunch of enemies in a thick forest in the vast Hyrule down below the clouds. Either way, if you didn't personally have an issue with those things in Breath of the Wild, you'll probably be fine here too.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I should not be in this thread I should not be in this thread I should not be in this thread I should not be in this thread I should not be in this thread I-

Oct 27, 2017

The player wants to make sure the boat is there for him the next time he comes through this particular Sky Island, so he uses the new Recall ability. Activating Recall slows time to a halt and lets you target any moving inanimate object within a fairly large radius. In this instance, he targets the boat and rewinds time on it to send it back to the other shore of the river.
I don't know why this excited me so much, but it does

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
g9i6qQd.png

Noticed this in Zeltik's video. New ability wheel instead of the left/right scrolling from BOTW.
The new ability in the bottom right he mentioned he cannot talk about but you don't get it at the beginning of the game and the ability "streamlines ultrahand".

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a written review and want it on the OP, please @ me and I'll add it as soon as I can.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Any preview mention if there's a story recap? Do we need one? I have no memories of what happened in BOTW anymore.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Too much emphase on the fusion stuff, I just want to know if there are more interesting areas to explore.. :(

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Seeing people build these flying thingamajigs to get around and not one being the same as the other... Into my veins.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Too much emphase on the fusion stuff, I just want to know if there are more interesting areas to explore.. :(

Some previews allude to the exploration but Nintendo have things pretty locked down so press can only really focus on the mechanics since the preview area was pretty focused.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo gonna fuck around and make two game of the generations in the same generation.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Our preview:

"It was just the sandbox for now. But that sandbox is so dense and so promising that when you fuse that with your knowledge of this series and the exceptionally high bar it always maintains, it's difficult to not get very, very excited."
www.well-played.com.au

The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Preview – Another Classic In The Making

Take a deep breath, it's about to get even wilder
--R

Added both of you to the OP. Let me know if the blurb chosen is good or you'd like any other stuff.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
We are sooooooooooo back. Seeing Link soar into the South Hyrule Sky Archipelago in that IGN vid with zero frame dips is a genuinely impressive technical feat.

vLLhtXX.png

www.ign.com

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Hands-On Preview: It Lets You Test Out Your Craziest Ideas - IGN

We played The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for hours, and we want to tell you all about our hands-on impressions of Link's latest adventure.

The key is "what they played". It's a Switch game, and a big game at that. I already saw frame drops but that is to be expected. I am still excited!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want more of botw. I'm not a big fan of gimmicks. I want a grounded epic link journey. Hopefully we can play it like this as well

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds super overwhelming to me. They went hard in the experimental direction, and I hope that works for me, but I don't know.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Sounds like all the new ways to interact with the world will make moment to moment gameplay far more packed than in BOTW. We haven't even truly seen the exploration aspect yet.