Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
share-fb.jpg

Metacritic (96)
Opencritic (97)
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom OT

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLlZBwN_-C4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJjwn4FykE

Breath of the Wild is my favourite game of all time; Tears of the Kingdom is, at worst, its equal. However, I cannot say it is a better game yet. I won't know that answer until I stop delving into dark caverns, ascending to soaring heights, and interacting with the refreshing, wonderful world Nintendo has crafted. Except I don't want my journey to stop. I don't want to let go.

I want this adventure never to end. Because every mountain I climb, every object I craft, and every person I meet on the road combine to bring forth wonder and joy that few games have ever matched. Tears of the Kingdom is an unforgettable experience that stands as one of the greatest games Nintendo has ever made.
CGMagazine (10/10)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most unique and creative games I have ever played. There is a lot to do and the world design is a perfect symbiosis between using Link's abilities and your own smarts to reach your goals. One of the best games ever on Nintendo Switch and a must-buy.
COGconnected (10/10)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthwhile follow-up to Breath of the Wild because it builds on the world in several exciting ways. You're encouraged to engage and tackle quests in a way that fits your playstyle while never feeling overburdened by the systems put in place. Without a doubt, Tears of the Kingdom stands among the greats like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker as being some of the best chapters in one of the most celebrated series.
Console Creatures (Editor's Choice)

Depending on your perspective, some of the features present in Tears of the Kingdom are either a comfy return home or caveats. It's very similar to Breath of the Wild not only in structure, but in terms of core mechanics. Although "Zelda games are the same" is a criticism that's been levied at the series since its "teenage years" so to speak, some fans see that as a boon, not a burden.

Me? I loved nearly every minute of Tears of the Kingdom. From zooming up into the sky to spelunking in the depths, there's way more to explore here, and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface outside of the main story and some key sidequests. But the real kicker that helps separate Tears from Breath of the Wild is its big swing power set. I felt like I was in control at all times, and had the ability to create my own path. For a series known for sequence-breaking that's not just a perk; it's a strong argument for why Tears of the Kingdom will be talked about for years on end, and may even top some favorite Zelda lists.
Destructoid (10/10)

So long as you're willing to meticulously survey Hyrule like an archaeologist digging for fossils, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an engrossing sequel full of mysteries to solve and experiments to conduct. It's a digital laboratory that I imagine will still be producing unbelievable discoveries 10 years from now.
Digital Trends (4.5/5)

Still, Tears of the Kingdom is a resounding success. The sheer scale and scope of it ought to be a reminder to the games industry that creativity doesn't need the most powerful hardware, and the playful approach to gameplay makes this a rare open world game that's a pleasure to explore and rewarding to immerse yourself within. I hope Nintendo understands that this can't be the Zelda formula forevermore, and the next one will be an all-new and transformative experience again, but I also don't begrudge the company the desire to take a second crack at what made Breath of the Wild so special to so many people.
Digitally Downloaded (4.5/5)

Tears of the Kingdom is a direct sequel, for all its changes, and Zelda tends not to go in for those: it used to wipe the slate clean each time, casting the last game's baggage aside like so much surplus equipment, and setting out for the horizon. I'd like the next Zelda to do that again. But that's a problem for tomorrow. All told, Tears of the Kingdom is an astonishing, quite literally top-to-bottom sequel, adding complexity and splendor to the Breath of the Wild formula without sacrificing its enchantment.
Eurogamer (4/5)

Video game sequels are often iterative on what came before them. It looks a little better, plays a little smoother, retains important mechanics while introducing new ones, and continues the story. Tears of the Kingdom checks most of these boxes, but getting rid of the Runes from the first game and giving players new ones to use in exploring a familiar but undeniably new world is ingenious. Nearly every encounter, whether puzzle, traversal, or combat, must be reconsidered. It makes you think in new ways. I didn't get the same goosebumps exploring Hyrule as I did in the past, but I did experience new emotions both on a granular level from solving individual puzzles and on a larger scale by going back to one of my favorite video game locations. They say you can never go home again, but I adored returning to Hyrule with all new tools.
Game Informer (9.75/10)

If, as the rumours suggest, the end of the Switch era is being heralded by The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, then what an ending this is. Tears of the Kingdom not only manages to match the quality of its predecessor, but at times it can stand head-and-shoulders above it. In its open world, narrative, combat, and traversal, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom proves itself to be a triumph, a game that will be remembered not only as a phenomenal sandbox experience but an outstanding achievement as a game.
Gamereactor UK (10/10)

When I think of the Legend of Zelda series, I've always thought about transcendent, mythic moments: pulling the Master Sword from the pedestal in A Link to the Past, waking the Wind Fish in Link's Awakening, the three major characters representing aspects of the Triforce in Ocarina of Time. Tears of the Kingdom has a moment that matches each of those, and I felt the scope and power of it so strongly that I shed my own tears. As much as I loved each of those pieces in Zelda's past, I'm not sure if it's ever evoked that level of emotion from me before.

And then, of course, there is the story you write yourself through gameplay--when you built a clever machine to cross a chasm, explored a dark cavern with only your wits and a handful of arrows, raced through a thunderstorm on horseback to find shelter. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a canvas for your own creativity, a book to write your own stories, a world to create your own legends. It gives you back as much as you put into it, and beckons you to soar, burrow, engineer, solve, adventure, and explore.
Gamespot (10/10)

You make the vehicles you want, fight with the weapons you choose, and explore whatever section of the world appeals to you. Sometimes your tinkering is a success, and sometimes you fail spectacularly, but it never stops being fun. Tears of the Kingdom sets a standard for immersive gameplay that most major games don't even try to achieve, let alone match. So yes, though almost intimidatingly big at times, Tears of the Kingdom manages to keep focus and provide a rich, robust experience that builds on what came before. I've basically done nothing but play the game for two weeks, and even now I have no intention of stopping any time soon. What better recommendation could a person give?
Gamesradar (4.5/5)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an unfathomable follow-up to one of the greatest games ever made, somehow improving upon it in nearly every way – be that with simple quality-of-life improvements, a genuinely exciting story, or wildly creative new building mechanics that make you rethink what is possible. It both revamps old ground and introduces vast new areas so immense it somehow makes me wonder if Breath of the Wild was actually all that big, with an almost alarming number of tasks to complete, mysteries to discover, and delightful distractions to keep you from ever reaching that place you naively thought you were headed. Nintendo has followed up a triumph with a triumph, expanding and evolving a world that already felt full beyond expectation and raising the bar ever higher into the clouds.
IGN (10/10)

At a superficial glance, this game doesn't appear all that different from Zelda circa 2017, but everywhere you look are possibilities to explore and interact that simply don't exist in Breath of the Wild. Tears of the Kingdom is so much more than a sequel — it's a total reimagining of what Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild in 2017. Sure, there are still some minor quibbles, like tedious cooking and clumsy horse controls. But all of that pales in the face of the many, things this game does right.

Everything about Tears of the Kingdom improves upon the core vision of Breath of the Wild. It is a staggering achievement of game design, and the best open-world experience ever created.
Inverse (10/10)

An excellent sequel and one of the best Zelda games ever made. A follow-up that builds upon and refines the achievements of the original, while adding many new and equally innovative ideas of its own.
Metro GameCentral (10/10)

It's impossible to talk about everything that makes The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom so incredible, and making many of those discoveries yourselves is part of the magic. It's also impossible to overstate just how much there is to do in Hyrule this time around. Much like its predecessor, this is your playground for the next however many years to come, with a little sprinkling of that older Zelda fairy dust mixed into Breath of the Wild's formula. It's a glorious, triumphant sequel to one of the best video games of all time; absolute unfiltered bliss to lose yourself in for hundreds of hours. We can't wait to see what the world will do with the game.
NintendoLife (10/10)

Nintendo created this world, and I inhabit it. Weeks, months, or years from now, I may affect it in ways its creators didn't intend, but still — I will be using the tools they provided. The brilliance of Tears of the Kingdom lies in how well it imparts the fantasy of player freedom. Sure, Nintendo shakes me out of the daydream every now and then, and in those moments, I see flashes of its old rigid self. But no matter: At some point, I'll fully escape its watchful gaze.
Polygon (Unscored)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom builds upon Breath of the Wild's robust systems to offer an experience that eclipses the original in practically every way. Not only that, but it works incredibly hard to restore some of the things lapsed players might've missed from the traditional Zelda experience, and it pays off in droves. While the novelty of its design will never be as impactful as Breath of the Wild's debut, Tears of the Kingdom is one of the best Zelda experiences you'll ever have.
Press-Start.com.au (10/10)

The mad lads actually did it. Tears of the Kingdom is actually better than its predecessor - something that seemed inexplicable to me even as I played it until, about six hours in, the weight of its quality became insurmountable. It's one of the best games in years - and a masterclass in how to build a smart sequel.
RPGSite (10/10)

If it's time to move on from the Tears of the Kingdom Hyrule that's now spanned two games, it hasn't overstayed its welcome. The memories this game is capable of creating just because of its ambitious systems mean that no two players will ever have the same experience - except that of joy, and the excitement that comes with unknown possibilities. Anyone worried that there would be some fatal flaw that came to ruin what seemed to be a can't-miss Switch launch can now rest easy. Tears of the Kingdom is a monumental achievement, and it's going to be talked about relentlessly for years to come.
Screenrant (5/5)

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most creative, satisfying and rewarding games I've ever played, all within a familiar and greatly expanded Hyrule. How you approach combat, exploration and puzzle-solving is only limited by your imagination, and it avoids the common sandbox blunder of becoming aimless. Everything feels meaningful and rewarding, capped by the iconic Zelda jingle to validate even the most ridiculous successful ideas. Tears of the Kingdom is the closest a Zelda sequel has looked and felt to its predecessor, but it's another revolution in its approach gameplay. For the second time this year, Nintendo has improved upon a masterpiece.
Stevivor (10/10)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a masterpiece that not only equals what came before, it does everything in its power to surpass it. Even as it presents endless possibilities for me to indulge in and push my creative potential, it all comes back to the intimate gravestones or superfluous conversations that bring its world to life. Fading memorials and lone flowers cement the loss this vision of Hyrule has felt, and my unpredictable path is determined to piece it all back together.
The Gamer (5/5)

I feel as if I will never finish this game. Every time I think I've got a handle on it, it reveals a new expanse. I haven't even mentioned the depths, the particularly dangerous pitch-black underground world that exists below Hyrule. (Man, I do not like it down there.) I am walking around looking at all the clutter in my house and imagining ways that I could fuse it together. I invite my kids on to the sofa with me to watch Link's adventures, and we all scream as I'm pursued by a terrifyingly fast gloop-monster made of grasping hands. In an airport recently, surrounded by bored people staring at their phones, I was so absorbed in a labyrinth I'd found at the edge of the map that I nearly missed my boarding call.

It is easy to forget how to find the fun in adult life. Games such as Zelda help to remind you that if you look at things the right way, it's everywhere.
The Guardian (5/5)

As if it was really in doubt, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is another sublime entry in this series. It's not as thoroughly refreshing as Breath of the Wild was six years ago, but as a direct sequel, it takes the same world and manages to transform it with a new over and under world, while Link's powerful new abilities foster ever-more creative play, and a new epic tragedy unfolds before you. As we head into the Nintendo Switch's twilight years, this is practically essential.
TheSixthAxis (9/10)

Is Tears Of The Kingdom more of the same? Yes, in some ways. Like Breath Of The Wild it is a journey about journeys, where wandering across a field or into the sky or down a dark hole is as much of a quest as defeating the king of evil. But like the construction materials which litter Hyrule, Tears Of The Kingdom reminds us that the same inventiveness doesn't always yield the same invention, that each person who steps off a ledge will fall differently, that each person's story is their own legend.

Like I said: phenomenal.
The Telegraph (5/5)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom doesn't stray too far away from the hugely successful template of Breath of the Wild. But by reinforcing its predecessor's strength for experimentation with the new building mechanics, while also telling an engaging story and opening up new locations to explore, this is a perfect sequel to the greatest game to ever grace the Nintendo Switch.
Trusted Reviews (5/5)

Although it takes place on the same map as Breath of the Wild (with a few key changes owing to the time-skip and Upheaval, of course), Tears of the Kingdom feels different enough from its predecessor thanks to the new powers and mechanics to stand all on its own. It's a massive open world that feels dense and exciting without getting clogged up with icon fatigue, since so much of the play is based around physics interactions with the core mechanics, rather than rigid systems.
VG247 (5/5)

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom reinterprets Breath of the Wild for the better. Instead of removing all the aches and pains of that game, it completes the circle by adding gameplay-based solutions to annoyances and encourages you to let your imagination run free. Easily one of the very best games on Nintendo Switch.
VGC (5/5)

There's so much love in every corner of the map; everything has been touched since Breath of the Wild. The game's UI has also been refreshed, and the radial menu to select abilities is most welcome. The sound design for the game remains the same as Breath of the Wild; no big grand sweeping tunes in the overworld, and subtle sounds and music help tell you what's going on. I can leave the game with Link standing there out in the wild and it's just calming to have this environment rotate through the weather and to hear everything going on. There's also more voice acting this time, and even though only some things are voiced once again, what's there helps tell the story.
Vooks (5/5)

Ultimately, the lore isn't the main attraction, and isn't the reason the Zelda series has endured for almost half a century. What's more compelling is the game's nod to the collective story of how human imagination pushes us through our toughest challenges, and sometimes sends us soaring to heights unseen.
Washington Post (4/4 stars)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sticks closely to the blueprint established by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it's a richer, more rewarding game in most ways that count, offering a more intricate world, versatile suite of abilities, epic story, and satisfying dungeons. The familiarity of this Hyrule and a handful of frustrating sections keep Tears of the Kingdom from feeling quite as surprising and magical as its predecessor, but make no mistake, the wait has been worth it. While it probably behooves Nintendo to carve out an entirely new Legend next, Link's latest should fill most fans' heart meters nicely in the meantime.
Wccftech (9/10)

Tears of the Kingdom will overawe you with its scale and its imagination. It will demand your creativity and ingenuity in a way that few games would dare demand. It pays tribute to the things that have made this series so timeless, while also innovating so relentlessly that it will be the better part of a decade before any game is able to follow in its wake. Nearly four decades after The Legend of Zelda series made its debut, its latest instalment is a breathtaking high-point for the Zelda franchise, for Nintendo and for video games.
WellPlayed (10/10)

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
10/10 - GameSpot
Tears of the Kingdom is a triumph of open-ended game design that pays homage to the best parts of the Zelda franchise's own storied history--and sometimes exceeds them.
www.gamespot.com

The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Review

Tears of the Kingdom is a triumph of open-ended game design that pays homage to the best parts of the Zelda franchise's own storied history--and sometimes exceeds them.
10/10 - IGN
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an unfathomable follow-up, expanding a world that already felt full beyond expectation and raising the bar ever higher into the clouds.
www.ign.com

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Review - IGN

A remarkable sequel that somehow makes Breath of the Wild feel like a first draft.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious if it really is as good as people say and no one is annoyed at the nuts and bolts style gameplay, which worries me the most currently.