• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MV5BMjIwMjE1Nzc4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg4OTA1NzM@._V1_.jpg

Let's do this Era. Share your favorite and least favorite moments of the greatest Disney movie of all time.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Wait

I don't know if you're joking or not haha
I'm not. The difference in length has to do with the scenes being paced slower. So a scene that took a minute in the original, will take two minutes here, which means that in the grand scheme of things the movie will be longer, but no new content was added.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm not. The difference in length has to do with the scenes being paced slower. So a scene that took a minute in the original, will take two minutes here, which means that in the grand scheme of things the movie will be longer, but no new content was added.

That is remarkable

But there's also a new song, right?

How does that fit in

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
No the scene with Nala running away is new. Also the scenes with Simba, Timon and Pumbaa discussing the circle of life. There are some new bits here and there.

I liked that the other animals were more included during I can't wait to be king and the Timon and Pumbaa scenes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
and 3 of those 30 minutes is just following a piece of Simbas hair.
The Simba Hair scene redeems it for me because it serves a complete metaphor for the circle of life and his role within it as the King of Pride Rock. This scene deserves all the praise it can gwt and I honestly loved it.
As a whole, I am never going to read a movie review again. Was it superior to the original? No. Was it faithful enough and should it exist? Hell yes. Scar was absolutely ruthless in this new rendition, treating Simba even more as a child dangling ridiculous excuses in front of him for the Elephant Graveyard and the Gorge which elevated his treatment of the cub, we got an amazing Nala escape showing how she left pride rock, and the new Timon and Pumba dialogue was great. Even as a die hard fan, I just loved the new distraction scene with everyone dead pan staring at Pumba until he realizes what's going on, and Timon starting to sing Be My Guest had me in stiches. If the original is a 9/10, this remake is a solid 7, kf not 7.5. Easily the best Disney remake by far.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
EbFJ0wG.gif

I almost went out to watch this one today. Maybe next week on a cheap day.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I was about to say that this will be the worst movie I watch this year, but then I saw the CATS trailer and that looks too insane to not watch.

But I hated this.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
No the scene with Nala running away is new. Also the scenes with Simba, Timon and Pumbaa discussing the circle of life. There are some new bits here and there.

I liked that the other animals were more included during I can't wait to be king and the Timon and Pumbaa scenes.
So basically they added the Shadowlands part without putting the song in which makes the entire scene.

So dumb.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
So basically they added the Shadowlands part without putting the song in which makes the entire scene.

So dumb.
It would have been a good place for it, allthough they would have to change it. What happens is basically that the hyenas and Scar wont let anyone leave, so she has to sneak out.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been a good place for it, allthough they would have to change it. What happens is basically that the hyenas and Scar wont let anyone leave, so she has to sneak out.
I've been expecting it since the soundtrack released but I'm still so disappointed. Shadowlands is a great solo song for Nala and for it to be ignored and instead have that boring Spirit song added in is a weird choice especially since Beyonce could have done great with Shadowlands.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce doing the BARE minimum for this movie

Disney should be grateful she even recorded her lines on Voice Memo

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowland is what Beyonce should've sung. Instead of that awful Spirit thing. I guess it was in her contract to muck up the movie with some new garbo song of her own.

Not watching this out of respect for JTT, but I'm blown away by there being so little new content.

220px-Jon_Favreau_2016.jpeg

It'S NoT A SHot FoR ShoT ReMAkE

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. The story and music prove itself again to be incredibly powerful. It has a different artistic style that influences some choices. It's less cartoony and tries to constrain itself to a more BBC Earth version. It's a bit different, but not necessarily better or worse in my opinion. It's not as atrocious as the short side by side scene comparisons made it look. And I definitely don't get the bad reviews. It remains a stellar film, which some stylistic differences to how you might remember it.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
I've been expecting it since the soundtrack released but I'm still so disappointed. Shadowlands is a great solo song for Nala and for it to be ignored and instead have that boring Spirit song added in is a weird choice especially since Beyonce could have done great with Shadowlands.

Oh yeah I would have loved it if they had included Shadowlands, or even Lea Halalela which I find even better, allthough the lyrics have different meaning than Shadowlands, so not sure where it would go. Spirit sucked though : (

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I liked it more than the original. I have no nostalgic connection with the original, so it's only a 3/5 movie for me.

I really liked how they fixed the jumpiness of the original with some new scenes that filled the empty spots in the story. I'm also a sucker for details and the overall look of the movies, new version delivers that while the original is quite lifeless and dull in the backgrounds. It was also funnier than the og. Also Nala was a real character. Seth Rogen stole the show though. I really didn't like Chiwetel Ejiofor's Scar, Jeremy Irons is miles ahead.

So: 3,5/5 for the new one.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this and boy it is not good. They took the original and sucked all the life, energy, and emotion out of it. Half the cast sounds like they couldn't care less to be there, the songs are presented as dull and lifeless as you already think they will be, and yes the facial expressions are awful. They make the same looks regardless of what emotion they're portraying and most of the time are just staring dead-eyed at each other.

What a completely pointless movie motivated only by greed and nothing else.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
220px-Jon_Favreau_2016.jpeg

It'S NoT A SHot FoR ShoT ReMAkE
I mean, it isn't. A shot for shot remake would be more exciting since that would include actual cool visuals during the songs instead of 'characters run through a water pool, characters run through the savannah, characters run through the jungle'.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
You know what was really funny? That awful clip of Mufasa's death and Simba's reaction with the terrible looking zoom is played twice in the movie. Once on Mufasa's death and the second time as a flashback when Scar reveals he killed Mufasa. I was laughing so hard.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know what was really funny? That awful clip of Mufasa's death and Simba's reaction with the terrible looking zoom is played twice in the movie. Once on Mufasa's death and the second time as a flashback when Scar reveals he killed Mufasa. I was laughing so hard.
Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best I can say is that it was a fine movie. Without the color, character, and expressiveness of the original it was always going to be inferior, so I checked myself going into the movie. The first half REALLY dragged on, but to the movie's credit the Adult Simba portion didn't feel rushed as it kinda did in the original. The focus on Simba as an adult is like the one thing I can say the movie did slightly better, but pretty much everything else was below par or worse. Even looking at the two as their own distinct pieces, the remake just felt very lacking a lot of times. I found myself chuckling at parts in which I cried during my original viewing because the realism angle makes it hard to take seriously.

I'll need to see it again to get more concrete thoughts, but personally from first impression I'd give it about a 6.5. A lot in part due to the basic skeleton being the same and it's hard to fudge up one of the best movies ever (imo). About what I expected it to be.

I feel like thoughts will be similar to the BatB remake.

Is this the movie's interpretation of the 'fuck me' eyes from the original?

617.gif
Nah. They have a little scene before that.