• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Alien on the big screen today. I've seen it countless times before. I love it. It's gorgeous.

We all know the classic and iconic design of the alien was 100% H. R. Giger's bio-mechanical "that's a penis" style applied to a very tall thin man in a suit. And lube. Lots of lube.

alien1-790x528.jpg

But it occurred to me today, for the first time, that the "mechanical" part of that design fits the setting of this film perfectly--perhaps moreso than intended, from a canon perspective. (I mean, Giger had already drew the thing well before there was any movie). On more than one occasion it is shown that the alien blends into the spaceship environment quite well. Ash also comments how it has adapted perfectly to the environment.

km-ThgLF6vuwEhFkzulgQAemKOmsHiB7vd6YsTQYOJA.jpg

To me, (and this is my new thought today) it makes sense that it would blend so well given that it grew up so fast in that environment. In a couple hours, it goes from a tiny thing to a hulking man-sized monstrosity. That mass had to come from somewhere. And it was surrounded by excess space-mission detritus on the ship. So if it somehow consumed mass from its surroundings to grow to that size, then of course it could blend in with the mechanical appearance of the ship!

Yeah, Cameron painted his to look like giant cockroaches and then Giger designed a full-lipped "that's a penis" space sex panther for the sequels. I'm talking about the original.

From a striclty canon perspective, to this movie only--if this movie had taken place in, say, a spanish villa instead, would it look like a bio-spanish-stucco-and-red-tile "that's a penis" man-sized monstrosity?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I remember thinking the Alien was part robot after seeing this ad in a magazine when I was a kid

BFpCj5u.jpeg

cant find a bigger version, but you can still see how mechanical the artist made the Xenomorph arm on the right side. Made quite the impression on a little kid.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. Like they are what they eat? Or are you saying they're predatory chameleons?

I would say it blends in well because Giger always had that weird fusion of humanoid and technology such that the look of the alien fits into the industrial/tech environment like a grim cyborg.

c61c2a0259e0c380ce33c6e235d3ddd3.jpg
Alien+1979+corridor_opt.jpg

edit: and thinking more about it, you've got the "Engineers" who've created new biological technology in the Xenomorph. It's a corruption of the flesh, industrialization taking an animal shape. It is a rather dystopian scifi universe so it makes sense the supreme predator looks like it's full of pipes and shit to mirror the predatory nature of this industrialized, capitalist future.

alien-2.jpg

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I'm not sure I follow. Like they are what they eat? Or are you saying they're predatory chameleons?

I would say it blends in well because Giger always had that weird fusion of humanoid and technology such that the look of the alien fits into the industrial/tech environment like a grim cyborg.

I guess for the first movie, before everyone tried to give an explanation to every single thing surrounding the life cycle of the Alien in comics, books and subsequent movies, you were supposed to wonder if it was absorbing metal or silicon around it, growing up influenced by it's environment. Everything was a mystery, how it evolved, what was it's goal/purpose, origin etc.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was always weirded out by the idea that they have eyes in a human-like skull behind the shiny front part of their head
fyi-xenomorphs-have-eyes-hardly-visible-in-their-normal-v0-d3dl9pheh4ib1.jpg

OP
OP
THErest

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
q6NQIyl.jpg

Damn, this is actually a pretty great idea.

Stfu, is that real???

I'm saying Giger's gonna Giger, but this could have been a coincidental in-universe thing. It adapted to (and must have consumed some of, if we care about mass) that environment. Like, instead of just being an incredible artistic design, it actually matches the shit Ash was saying about it.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Stfu, is that real???
Nah, it's DALL-E -- prompt it used: "A Xenomorph, traditionally sleek and terrifying, reimagined using Spanish architectural materials. The creature is constructed entirely out of stucco, featuring a textured white surface, and detailed with vibrant red roofing tiles that mimic the alien's skeletal structure. It stands inside a minimalist villa, also made from white stucco and accented with red roofing tiles. The villa has large glass windows and simple, clean lines, creating a striking contrast with the intricate design of the Xenomorph. The setting is sunlit, emphasizing the unique textures and colors.")

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that is a good way of seeing it. Like it's definitely at least artistically deliberate but an actual in canon biological reason does add to the creature as well. Don't know if it makes any sense for what would come after but still neat!

alien-fortnite.gif

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I'm saying Giger's gonna Giger, but this could have been a coincidental in-universe thing. It adapted to (and must have consumed some of, if we care about mass) that environment. Like, instead of just being an incredible artistic design, it actually matches the shit Ash was saying about it.
I'm having a hard time thinking about it digesting metals and such. But I suppose it is possible because of it's incredible acid blood lol, it's stomach could be some negative pH chemical and with some mega enzymes.

I'm not sure consuming the environment would contribute to it's mass. It would need like...some kind of fat, protein, carb equivalent from the plastics and metals.

edit: so it starts as the worm thing. We could say it consumes enough of its host as a parasite and maybe stores enough material to keep growing until it reaches that 2nd form which eats the cat. And it does eat a few of the personnel before it gets to the woman right?

OP
OP
THErest

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time thinking about it digesting metals and such. But I suppose it is possible because of it's incredible acid blood lol, it's stomach could be some negative pH chemical and with some mega enzymes.

I'm not sure consuming the environment would contribute to it's mass. It would need like...some kind of fat, protein, carb equivalent from the plastics and metals.

edit: so it starts as the worm thing. We could say it consumes enough of its host as a parasite and maybe stores enough material to keep growing until it reaches that 2nd form which eats the cat. And it does eat a few of the personnel before it gets to the woman right?

It does not eat the cat. It worms its way off the dinner table and the next time you see it it's huge.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
I always took the xenomorph's biomechanic design as representing its cold efficiency as a killing, reproducing organism, machine-like. Ash's true identity as an android parallels the xenomorph, a human looking machine with unsettling innards that resembles organic material with sexual undertones, and his admiration of it makes sense because as a robot, he best understands what drives the xenomorph.

Putting it that way, I can see why Ridley Scott decided to focus on David so much in "Prometheus" and "Alien: Covenant."

OP
OP
THErest

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I thought it did for sure but it's been a while since I actually watched it
Ripley is not the only survivor.

Edit: Actually, she's more a threat to the cat than the alien is with the way she bashes that space cat carrier on every solid surface she can find at the end.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Well Giger did also a lot of the sets, I'm not sure he did the spaceship itself though, but he certainly influenced it.

(I mean, Giger had already drew the thing well before there was any movie)

Not exactly. Ridley Scott saw his work in his Necronomicon series and knew that the monster had to be made by him. They hired him and he started to design the xenomorph along with production.

They claim the main inspiration was Necronom IV:

190516115427-h-r-giger-3.jpg

And that Scott suggested that without eyes it would be more unnerving.

But! I honestly think that Scott was influenced by Necronom V as well:

image_Necronomicon_V.jpg

which has a lot of the characteristics of the xenomorph, specially the no eyes thing.

Giger did a completely original design though, exclusively for the movie.

Last edited:

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

edit: and thinking more about it, you've got the "Engineers" who've created new biological technology in the Xenomorph. It's a corruption of the flesh, industrialization taking an animal shape. It is a rather dystopian scifi universe so it makes sense the supreme predator looks like it's full of pipes and shit to mirror the predatory nature of this industrialized, capitalist future.

alien-2.jpg
Yeah I think its a mixture of both Giger's art style where figures/beings blend with the backdrop-----being translated into physical set environments (so, you have aliens he has created, moving about sets/environments which he created. So, of course they will look like they are intertwined, due to the style of the artist).

But also, the pilot of the spaceship is literally a part of the ship. The ship Giger designed over a few revisions.
Ultimately, he is physically realizing the already heavily bio-mechanical ideas in his previous works, and finding new ideas, in making it a sort of reality.

Further, a lot of stuff in the movie looks like it all goes together because----a lot of props and assets were re-used/re-purposed for later shots and sets. Much of it, is literally a part of itself. They didn't have enough time for Giger to freshly design every aspect. Let alone even finish many of the things he did get to design.

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I don't think there's any real thread you can link together from a Watsonian (in-universe) perspective, as the nerds say. It really is just that famous biomechanical Giger aesthetic. Sometimes the architecture and general construction look like they're almost alive too. I imagine it went on to influence the actual living bioships in various stories and shows like Babylon 5 and Farscape.

However I'd be cool with and it would be interesting if the xenomorphs had some inherent camouflaging capability (they already have some of that through thermal imaging iirc). Feels like they should anyway from an evolutionary standpoint, at least soon after they're "birthed" if not necessarily as adults, so they don't just have to scamper away like imbeciles as soon as they pop out. Though I guess that's proven to be effective enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Bio-mechanical may be the inspiration, but I see it as an alien-exoskeleton not unlike an insect's (have you seen fleas and ants etc magnified?) and with unique circulatory systems which explains the hose-like features, especially for the acid.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I like to think that there is an early 20 something reading this thread right now who ends up being a director and some decades from now they give Alien the Halloween treatment where they ignore everything and make a new direct sequel to Alien that elaborates on this idea. So in a way OP wills the Spanish Villalien into Canon.

Oct 25, 2017
I like that reading and it makes a lot of sense given we already know it can adapt its entire physiology to the species it infects and is intended to be a perfect survivor.

Just imagine what we might have gotten if Cameron hadn't made the aliens significantly more boring.

Oct 26, 2017
I find it wise not to read too much into the intended lore behind the creature based on the initial concept. For the most part they just wanted a great alien creature for a single movie and they succeeded spectacularly, but how much they actually thought about it beyond that? Not very much, I think. I do know that the initial plan was for the landing party to encounter a temple of some sort and inside they'd see a relief/mural depiction of the creatures life cycle. It was cut for budgetary reasons.
I also know that the creature was very deliberately given a rather feminine profile as it plays into the reverse male forced penetration/impregnation body horror theme they were going for.

But beyond that I really don't think they gave it much though and subsequent movies just made it up as they went along.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they took that concept when they made the more human-looking xenomorph hybrid from Resurrection
alien-resurrection-mother-clone-queen.png

Basically just removed the top of the carapace and made him all fleshy
This fucker scared the hell out of me as a kid. But it is my favorite design if any creature in the Alien franchise. Sorry not sorry.

Oct 29, 2017
It is a good idea, that said the alien does resemble the space ship of the space jockey a lot more than the interior of the Nostromo.