Has the show inspired you to read Tolkien's stories?

• Yes, I'm reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time

Votes: 32 4.2%
  • Yes, I'm reading The Silmarillion for the first time

Votes: 54 7.1%
  • Yes, I'm revisiting The Lord of the Rings

Votes: 63 8.3%
  • Yes, I'm revisiting The Silmarillion

Votes: 51 6.7%
  • Yes, I'm reading another of Tolkien's works

Votes: 13 1.7%
  • Yes, I'm revisiting another of Tolkien's works

Votes: 18 2.4%
  • No, I'm just watching the show

Votes: 528 69.6%

• Total voters

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't followed anything since S1 ended. Is there any reason for optimism on the writing end? S1 was lipstick on a pig to the highest degree, super impressive production value overlaying heaps of poor writing.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
The Lord of the Rings movies are my favorites ever but Season 1 was very disappointing. I hope S2 is much better like Wheel of Time.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't followed anything since S1 ended. Is there any reason for optimism on the writing end? S1 was lipstick on a pig to the highest degree, super impressive production value overlaying heaps of poor writing.
Yes, the biggest issue with S1 was it was basically a new prologue to the stuff actually in the books. Now we are getting in to the stuff Tolkien wrote about the Second Age more specifically.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. I just youtube'd "rings of power" looking for a recap and HOLY SHIT did people not like this show. Never seen that much hateful media about a show in my life. I missed the narrative about this (or I don't remember)

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, the biggest issue with S1 was it was basically a new prologue to the stuff actually in the books. Now we are getting in to the stuff Tolkien wrote about the Second Age more specifically.
Yup, why they decided to make Season 1 a complete set up introduction of characters instead of starting with what Tolkien actually wrote I don't know. But We're getting into the weeds now and I'm so excited!

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Damn. I just youtube'd "rings of power" looking for a recap and HOLY SHIT did people not like this show. Never seen that much hateful media about a show in my life. I missed the narrative about this (or I don't remember)
It was incredibly profitable to yell about this show. Having the show be a solid 6 or 7 out of 10 and staring a female let youtubers use crazy clickable thumbnails. And it was the first show/movie in a while that let them talk about a 1) popular show 2) That wasn't fantastic 3) That had "woke" (to them) moments throughout marketing and the show. So they could point to the "woke" items of the show to imply that that's why the show wasn't good.

It was a crazy time that's about to begin again lol.

Be prepared to see the Tolkien quote "Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt and ruin good forces have invented or made". Which isn't even a Tolkien quote lol.

Oct 28, 2017
People lost their minds with the non-white characters and it spiraled from there.

It was incredibly profitable to yell about this show. Having the show be a solid 6 or 7 out of 10 and staring a female let youtubers use crazy clickable thumbnails. And it was the first show/movie in a while that let them talk about a 1) popular show 2) That wasn't fantastic 3) That had "woke" (to them) moments throughout marketing and the show. So they could point to the "woke" items of the show to imply that that's why the show wasn't good.

It was a crazy time that's about to begin again lol.

Be prepared to see the Tolkien quote "Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt and ruin good forces have invented or made". Which isn't even a Tolkien quote lol.

Yeah I remember that a little bit but I didn't expect the results I got back. I also skimmed this thread and see it got wild in here too for a bit. That is crazy.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The show actually is good, the thing is that people are immature little whiny children about Tolkien stuff

It's wild to me that adults living on this earth for however long still consider it acceptable to be unaccommodating, disrespectful, and bordering on, if not outright malicious.

People be pouting with their arms crossed and think it's somehow a show of strength but they look like this:
Little%20boy%20pouting.jpg

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'm just glad we're not getting a repeat of fantasy wars 2022 where House of the Dragon, Rings of Power, Andor, and Sandman all released around the same time.

Although this June is gonna be pretty stacked with Acolyte, House of the Dragon s2, The Boys s4, and The Bear s3.

I thought the writing for season 1 was absolutely awful too but production values were fantastic and I am hopeful for season 2. Wonder what their drop schedule will be, they experimented with dropping ALL of Fallout at once and that was insanely successful so I wonder what they are thinking.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It will benefit this show greatly to not air anytime near house of dragons in the future. And to get better writers of course.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't the fake leak campaign happen with Game of Thrones S8 too?

That one backfired as some leaks were actually better than what we got.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Moria stuff might involve Nameless Things? Assuming that's what that tentacle mass and big sea monster are.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I liked the old Sauron actor...

Literally one of the only things that intrigued me about the series were his characteristics and sly behaviour, so I hope this dude can pull it off.

Got a lot to live up to, as I was watching S1 simultaneously with HotD and it absolutely SHAT on RoP

Soap

Oct 27, 2017

Literally one of the only things that intrigued me about the series were his characteristics and sly behaviour, so I hope this dude can pull it off.
Maybe I am wrong but rumour is that he is played by the old actor and this guy. Basically he shapeshifts when he needs to.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think that's still the old actor but they gave him a new wig

He looked better before :(

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the fall of Eregion is definitely happening this season which should be quite the spectacle, I also assume that was Barad Dur near the end.
Did they recast Sauron?
No he's just in his Annatar form

Got a lot to live up to, as I was watching S1 simultaneously with HotD and it absolutely SHAT on RoP
It's the same guy lol

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Do they have the rights to Annatar then? I thought they didn't and that's why they went the Halbrand route 🤔

Well, I hope he shapeshifts back into a man a few times at least >.>

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You guys were making me think I was crazy. I thought it was clear that was still Charlie Vickers lol

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
saurus casts makeover

it's super effective

If he managed to deceive people in this thread at least no one will be able to complain why the main cast in the show doesn't recognize him him.