• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I also think the idea of including the races that described as 'dark skinned' on the south of Mordor that sided with Sauron out of disagreement with Gondor as a way of representation would not work and you would get criticism from it like have the only form of representation in the show being the badguys

lotr.fandom.com

Easterlings

Easterlings, known in early times as Swarthy Men, were a race of Men who eventually populated the vast, uncharted lands of Rhûn, east of Mordor and the Sea of Rhûn. Often opposed to the Free Peoples, many of them were originally in league with Morgoth and went on to serve his successor, Sauron...

Last edited:

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
...because its a teaser.

like why are you so obsessed with this? You're comparing the biggest parts of the GOT budget which are complete and have ample shots to cherry pick from to 30 a second teaser in which we see basically nothing.

And also if you really want to compare go show the battle of kings landing when Tywin shows up, its laughably low budget. But beyond that in the episodes you show, there are still low budget things that happen and not to mention the lighting and how that one episode was basically black?

also im loving the "grounded" complaints that it doesnt match LOTR that had *checks notes* cgi balrog, flying eagle big enough to carry Gandalf, walking talking trees, cave trolls, Nazgul Wyvern/dragon things, and a 100% CGI character in gollum, which by the way still looks amazing to this day.
Just like I said re: folks interpretation of the "clean" shorthand, "grounded" refers not to the literal idea of being mundane and like our world in all respects, but rather refers to how it's lit and shot instead.

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to block channels on YouTube so that their videos don't show up in search? There's a crazy amount of anti-woke videos showing up when you search for "Rings of Power."

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to block channels on YouTube so that their videos don't show up in search? There's a crazy amount of anti-woke videos showing up when you search for "Rings of Power."
Yeah there is. Just select the three dots on the right side of the video to bring up options to block channels.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Are people really comparing a one minute teaser for a show that's half a year away (meaning they are still in post production) to the finished product of GoT when it was at it's technical peak?
Not to mention GoT season 8 was 100 million for 6 episodes and already had a lot of stuff setup. A lot of the money spent on ROP season 1 was just setting up studios and what not (and acquiring the rights.)

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Just like I said re: folks interpretation of the "clean" shorthand, "grounded" refers not to the literal idea of being mundane and like our world in all respects, but rather refers to how it's lit and shot instead.
except that throughout this thread there's numerous mentions of LOTR being "grounded" because of not having CGI shots.

to the point that i believe someone even said people are forgetting how much CGI was in LOTR in the first place.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
One thing that is kind of funny in hindsight is that people were fearing this show would be too much like GOT, but in the end GOT nails the "grounded and dirty" aesthetic that the LOTR trilogy had far better than either the Hobbit or what we saw in this teaser. In fact GOT is one of the few modern media products that was able to replicate that kind of authentic feel, with everything feeling like it belongs. And it managed to do it from the very beginning of its first season!
Dude LOTR is very much high fantasy, the books, particularly the silmarillion, alkabeth etc.. Aren't supposed to be like GOT. I wonder if many of the people longing for thay aesthetic have read the source material. Tolkiens universe is much more Epic Myth than piss and shit down and dirty GOT. Jacksons movies, while great, didn't actually capture the feel of the novels all that well. That isn't to say this will, but Jacksons Trilogy isn't the end alll be all when it comes to authentically delivering on Tolkiens vision.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
except that throughout this thread there's numerous mentions of LOTR being "grounded" because of not having CGI shots.

to the point that i believe someone even said people are forgetting how much CGI was in LOTR in the first place.
I dunno about all that, if that's where the discussion's gone in the interim, it's just as useless a tangent as when folks were arguing about the "clean" look by talking about how literally dirty or not the actors were.

Barking mad.

The clean/dirty, floaty/grounded feelings are waaay more about lighting and cinematography than literal use of cg or literal dirt in the actors faces.

I agree with the poster you were responding to earlier who was talking about that stuff. They went a bit overboard with the specifics, but still.

Dude LOTR is very much high fantasy, the books, particularly the silmarillion, alkabeth etc.. Aren't supposed to be like GOT. I wonder if many of the people longing for thay aesthetic have read the source material. Tolkiens universe is much more Epic Myth than piss and shit down and dirty GOT. Jacksons movies, while great, didn't actually capture the feel of the novels all that well. That isn't to say this will, but Jacksons Trilogy isn't the end alll be all when it comes to authentically delivering on Tolkiens vision.
Lol if the show runners for this have a more captivating visual interpretation than Jackson, I'm here for it, but it's not on display here yet in comparison.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure Martin understands the difference between h\Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry

Martin will just have the entire final book be guys digging ditch after ditch

I remember this great video, opened my eyes on the racist depictions of many cultures in cinema (Braveheart, Alexander).

And yeah, I bought a shovel after that.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
I dunno about all that, if that's where the discussion's gone in the interim, it's just as useless a tangent as when folks were arguing about the "clean" look by talking about how literally dirty or not the actors were.

Barking mad.

The clean/dirty, floaty/grounded feelings are waaay more about lighting and cinematography than literal use of cg or literal dirt in the actors faces.

I agree with the poster you were responding to earlier who was talking about that stuff. They went a bit overboard with the specifics, but still.

Lol if the show runners for this have a more captivating visual interpretation than Jackson, I'm here for it, but it's not on display here yet in comparison.
It isn't to say better or worse than Jackson, it's that Jacksons LOTR isn't what they are going for, and that Jackson's LOTR isn't some definitive interpretation of LOTR, if actual fidelity to source material is what one is looking for in terms of tone.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't to say better or worse than Jackson, it's that Jacksons LOTR isn't what they are going for, and that Jackson's LOTR isn't some definitive interpretation of LOTR, if actual fidelity to source material is what one is looking for in terms of tone.
What do you think they are going for if they're not trying to emulate the best received of interpretations?

Edit: Visually, I should say, not his approach to the themes and the story

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there is. Just select the three dots on the right side of the video to bring up options to block channels.

Hm, I did that, but the videos still show up in search for me. Of the first 12 videos I get when I search for "Rings of Power", 9 of them seem to be of the anti-woke variety (and the videos from The Quartering and Nerdrotic, which I've blocked, still show up).

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I did that, but the videos still show up in search for me. Of the first 12 videos I get when I search for "Rings of Power", 9 of them seem to be of the anti-woke variety (and the videos from The Quartering and Nerdrotic, which I've blocked, still show up).
Maybe it only blocks them from your recommendations not searches? That's odd.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Dude LOTR is very much high fantasy, the books, particularly the silmarillion, alkabeth etc.. Aren't supposed to be like GOT.
You know that GOT is also high fantasy, right? The term just refers to whether the media takes place in an entirely imagined location. If anything, Middle Earth is less high fantasy than GOT, because Middle Earth is supposed to be an ancient version of our own planet

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The visuals argument is interesting. Not a GoT watcher, but I guess it has a more chiaroscuro style of lighting vs the flatter (but still very rich looking) look of the trailer? Still thought this had a distinct look that I can appreciate, definitely not as indistinct as a lot are claiming.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Last edited:

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
What do you think they are going for if they're not trying to emulate the best received of interpretations?
Their own thing? They are essentially adopting a series of appendixes describing at a very meta level things that were happening over a very long period of time. They aren't remaking Jacksons movies. As great as they are (and I like them very much), they weren't all that true to Tolkiens themes and tone, which, is a criticism that has existed since they came out. This may go in a similar direction (they certainly are taking some Liberties, which is fine). I'm just saying it isn't sacrilege to deviate in style from Jacksons work, the world, after all is very different in this period in History, it isn't about the grim pride of the Dunedain, or the fading elves, it's possible a different style will reflect that realitybetter than what Jackson did. It could be worse, but it isn't bad just because it isn't cribbing Game of Thrones or Jacksons interpretation.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
You know that GOT is also high fantasy, right? The term just refers to whether the media takes place in an entirely imagined location. If anything, Middle Earth is less high fantasy than GOT, because Middle Earth is supposed to be an ancient version of our own planet
That's actually true, you're correct, what I meant to say is the style is much more romantic (particularly his writings on this era), and the characters very much fall into the high memetic form, as opposed to low mimetic where most of GOTs heroes reside. Most of the characters in the legendarium weren't written to be super relatable and grounded to most people.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Their own thing? They are essentially adopting a series of appendixes describing at a very meta level things that were happening over a very long period of time. They aren't remaking Jacksons movies. As great as they are (and I like them very much), they weren't all that true to Tolkiens themes and tone, which, is a criticism that has existed since they came out. This may go in a similar direction (they certainly are taking some Liberties, which is fine). I'm just saying it isn't sacrilege to deviate in style from Jacksons work, the world, after all is very different in this period in History, it isn't about the grim pride of the Dunedain, or the fading elves, it's possible a different style will reflect that realitybetter than what Jackson did. It could be worse, but it isn't bad just because it isn't cribbing Game of Thrones or Jacksons interpretation.
So do you have a take that relates this "they're doing their own thing" to what motifs and through lines you see see visually and whatnot here?

Because I genuinely do not see a coherent vision. I see a TV show passing visuals between teams and directors without much care for the meshing of it under a single set of eyes.

But like I've said, I'm real curious to see how that assumption plays out as more footage is released.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't see what's supposed to be so offensive about the trailer. Maaaaybe the hobbit shot looks like it was shot in a studio, but the rest could easily be spliced in with footage from the Jackson films and the average person wouldn't notice. It's also difficult to tell what it truly looks like with youtube compression mangling the footage as it does. Freeze frame anywhere and the screen is just a blocky blur.

There was a promo pic released a while back that's said to be a frame straight from the first episode that looks very nice and is hugely detailed. It's detailed well beyond what can even be seen in the publicly available 1080p version, as a fansite got their hands on a 4k version that they were examining, revealing a lot more. I believe the budget will be evident, and well beyond other tv shows, even if some might object to how some scenes are lit or whatever the contention is.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
So do you have a take that relates this "they're doing their own thing" to what motifs and through lines you see see visually and whatnot here?

Because I genuinely do not see a coherent vision. I see a TV show passing visuals between teams and directors without much care for the meshing of it under a single set of eyes.

But like I've said, I'm real curious to see how that assumption plays out as more footage is released.
Admittedly I haven't seen enough to know that yet, it's a pretty uneven short teaser. My point is simply that criticism of it simply because it doesn't look like a clone of the new line movies or GOT is unwarranted, as such a vision arguably wouldn't be appropriate for what's being adapted. It could fail and suck and be ugly, we'll see.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
so you're definitely one of the expert Scorsese's i mentioned earlier. There's literally no way for you to get that from this teaser.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't see what's supposed to be so offensive about the trailer. Maaaaybe the hobbit shot looks like it was shot in a studio, but the rest could easily be spliced in with footage from the Jackson films and the average person wouldn't notice. It's also difficult to tell what it truly looks like with youtube compression mangling the footage as it does. Freeze frame anywhere and the screen is just a blocky blur.

There was a promo pic released a while back that's said to be a frame straight from the first episode that looks very nice and is hugely detailed. It's detailed well beyond what can even be seen in the publicly available 1080p version, as a fansite got their hands on a 4k version that they were examining, revealing a lot more. I believe the budget will be evident, and well beyond other tv shows, even if some might object to how some scenes are lit or whatever the contention is.
There's no contention. What are you on about? You talking like folks trynna burn a witch or something. Kicking ideas around about a teaser trailers look and feel, not talking about something assassinating a childhood.

Sheesh.
Admittedly I haven't seen enough to know that yet, it's a pretty uneven short teaser. My point is simply that criticism of it simply because it doesn't look like a clone of the new line movies or GOT is unwarranted, as such a vision arguably wouldn't be appropriate for what's being adapted. It could fail and suck and be ugly, we'll see.
I dunno, it really feels like they're trying to emulate LoTR in a whoooole bunch of ways, so I think I disagree with the idea they have a fully unique and integrated take separate from Jackson's here.

Genuinely curious to see more and still there day one lol

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
so you're definitely one of the expert Scorsese's i mentioned earlier. There's literally no way for you to get that from this teaser.
We were just comparing the of GoT teasers to the late stage stuff and it looks and feels much more similar than RoP teasers to LoTR.

Don't gotta be Scorcese lol

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
There's no contention. What are you on about? You talking like folks trynna burn a witch or something. Kicking ideas around about a teaser trailers look and feel, not talking about something assassinating a childhood.

Sheesh.

I dunno, it really feels like they're trying to emulate LoTR in a whoooole bunch of ways, so I think I disagree with the idea they have a fully unique and integrated take separate from Jackson's here.

Genuinely curious to see more and still there day one lol
You may be right, it would suck if they end up a pale imitation of Jackson. I'm projecting a bit, as I personally hope they go in a different direction when it comes to bringing the legends of the second age to life.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
LOTR "grounded" when Legolas surfs down staircases on a shield while 360 no scoping orcs...

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
You may be right, it would suck if they end up a pale imitation of Jackson. I'm projecting a bit, as I personally hope they go in a different direction when it comes to bringing the legends of the second age to life.
I mean, honestly I would love nothing more than that! A wholly unique and integrated new vision of the material would be amazing!

LOTR "grounded" when Legolas surfs down staircases on a shield while 360 no scoping orcs...
... And this strawman makes another appearance lol!

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I mean, honestly I would love nothing more than that! A wholly unique and integrated new vision of the material would be amazing!

... And this strawman makes another appearance lol!
Strawman? Jesus people taking LOTR to some real serious business extremes lol.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually true, you're correct, what I meant to say is the style is much more romantic (particularly his writings on this era), and the characters very much fall into the high memetic form, as opposed to low mimetic where most of GOTs heroes reside. Most of the characters in the legendarium weren't written to be super relatable and grounded to most people.
I just finished listening to the LOTR in audiobook form... one thing that struck me this time vs. the other 4-5 times I read the books is the writing style. I almost felt like it was Scripture, as in a religious book that had been passed down. I know the whole conceit of the book is that it's a translated copy of the Red Book, but it had never hit me until this listen.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
I just finished listening to the LOTR in audiobook form... one thing that struck me this time vs. the other 4-5 times I read the books is the writing style. I almost felt like it was Scripture, as in a religious book that had been passed down. I know the whole conceit of the book is that it's a translated copy of the Red Book, but it had never hit me until this listen.

Yeah the actual books are extremely hard to adapt, that's what I'm getting at when I say Jacksons movies are very different in tone than the impression one gets from the novels, and not the end all authoritative interpretation. Only the Hobbit is written in plainer english in the style of a fairy tale.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
My dude, just upthread we were talking about how grounded dunnit mean a lack of fantastical bullshit
I see that's your take, but I also see a lot of people meaning other things. If you want to interpret your statements that way, great. But plenty of people are taking it other directions and the term "grounded" hardly only means lighting and visuals.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I see that's your take, but I also see a lot of people meaning other things. If you want to interpret your statements that way, great. But plenty of people are taking it other directions and the term "grounded" hardly only means lighting and visuals.
And they are quite wrong, just as the folks who argued about it being "clean" by comparing dirt on G girls face were

Just look at Freezers take a few posts up, same deal, just different words for it

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Wheel of Time was pretty generic and meh, serviceable at best, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this show. Just because this series has money being thrown at it doesn't make mean it will be good.

spool

Oct 27, 2017

Sheesh.

Yes, clearly there's no contention in this thread where people argue about how they feel that the show is going to look bad. I always join debates that allow me to argue passionately, over many posts, against that which I have no objection.

Not sure what you mean by the rest. What do you suppose I'm a fan of? The Jackson LotR trilogy? The Jackson Hobbit trilogy? Tolkien? Jeff Bezos?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
There was a promo pic released a while back that's said to be a frame straight from the first episode that looks very nice and is hugely detailed.

Yeahh I believe it's this one. The two trees of Valinor. According to VF only the first episode will contain flashbacks.

lord-of-the-rings-amazon-studios.png

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
And they are quite wrong, just as the folks who argued about it being "clean" by comparing dirt on G girls face were

Just look at Freezers take a few posts up, same deal, just different words for it
This is such a weird thing to argue.

www.stage32.com

Now Trending! Stage 32 Screenwriting Lounge: What do we meand by "Grounded" as in Sci fi?

Join over 100,000 discussions trending NOW in our Stage 32 Lounge! Stage 32 is the largest online platform connecting & educating the global entertainment industry.

The term "grounded" quite often refers to something that is more realistic and less showy/unrealistic. It's fine if that's what "YOU" mean or even a group of people mean. But the term doesn't just get to be defined by saying "that's not what this means, STRAWMAN!"

TBH though it's not even worth arguing about. It's silly to parse terms. And it's silly to get into big discussions about it. Just talk about lighting and clean shots and use that so everyone knows what you're talking about. And others can say it's too flashy and has too many unrealistic feeling action sequences.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, clearly there's no contention in this thread where people argue about how they feel that the show is going to look bad. I always join debates that allow me to argue passionately, over many posts, against that which I have no objection.

Not sure what you mean by the rest. What do you suppose I'm a fan of? The Jackson LotR trilogy? The Jackson Hobbit trilogy? Tolkien? Jeff Bezos?
This is such a weird thing to argue.

www.stage32.com

Now Trending! Stage 32 Screenwriting Lounge: What do we meand by "Grounded" as in Sci fi?

Join over 100,000 discussions trending NOW in our Stage 32 Lounge! Stage 32 is the largest online platform connecting & educating the global entertainment industry.

The term "grounded" quite often refers to something that is more realistic and less showy/unrealistic. It's fine if that's what "YOU" mean or even a group of people mean. But the term doesn't just get to be defined by saying "that's not what this means, STRAWMAN!"

TBH though it's not even worth arguing about. It's silly to parse terms. And it's silly to get into big discussions about it. Just talk about lighting and clean shots and use that so everyone knows what you're talking about. And others can say it's too flashy and has too many unrealistic feeling action sequences.
I'll just reply to both at once here, apologies.

If there's any "contention" for me it's just about trying to be accurate about what folks are responding to.

I don't think folks mean "dirt on faces" when they say it looks "clean and smooth"

I don't think folks mean it needs a lack of fantastical bullshit when they say it doesn't feel "grounded" to them

At least that's not what I mean. And enough other folks have come in to talk about the lighting specifics and otherwise that I hoped the discussion had moved passed those talking points.

But folks keep understandably using shorthand to explain their reactions and folks keep interpreting them in the most literal, simple, way possible.

And that's a shame is all. Cause there's interesting nuances in all this and I'm genuinely curious to see how it evolves.

No one is hoping for a train wreck y'all.

Edit: re: the below, have folks really been clamoring for this to be GoT? I haven't seen that anywhere

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway

Arachîr Galudirithon does a nice breakdown of the trailer and gives his initialized thoughts on it. I enjoyed his analysis cause he is very much a Tolkien expert, but it goes into book spoiler territory so avoid it if you wan't to go into the show with no book knowledge.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
I've read way too much of this thread. I'll just say it looks great to me and I can't wait to watch it!

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
...because its a teaser.

like why are you so obsessed with this? You're comparing the biggest parts of the GOT budget which are complete and have ample shots to cherry pick from to 30 a second teaser in which we see basically nothing.

And also if you really want to compare go show the battle of kings landing when Tywin shows up, its laughably low budget. But beyond that in the episodes you show, there are still low budget things that happen and not to mention the lighting and how that one episode was basically black?

also im loving the "grounded" complaints that it doesnt match LOTR that had *checks notes* cgi balrog, flying eagle big enough to carry Gandalf, walking talking trees, cave trolls, Nazgul Wyvern/dragon things, and a 100% CGI character in gollum, which by the way still looks amazing to this day.
Obsessed? Are you serious or are you just being intentionally obtuse and avoiding what im responding to? Do you even know how this line of discussion started?

Because someone said that this teaser looks better and more expensive than anything in Game of Thrones and makes it look small scale. Which, judging by the change of tune on this page since I posted those shots is clearly not the case. So yes, obviously I would compare the biggest parts of Game of Thrones as a reminder of what the show actually looked like at its peak, why the hell would I not. That's literally what's being discussed.

Its not a matter of "high or low budget" things happening, its correcting revisionist history.

And I don't know why its surprising that an episode called "The Long Night" in which there is a huge climactic battle fought at night, where many of our characters die and the home of many of our perspective characters is destroyed is dark.

But even beyond all that. Its a better representation of what House of the Dragon will look like given that the director of those episodes is directing episodes of House of the Dragon and is also its showrunner. Meaning that its likely he'll carry over his stylistic tendencies from Game of Thrones over to House of the Dragon and showcasing what he's capable of doing is better than showing off a few random shots of characters from a show that had barely even entered pre-production and going "this looks so low budget compared to RoP!".

And judging by your response to people's concerns about RoP in comparison to LOTR on a stylistic level it seems like you don't even understand what's actually being discussed in other parts of this thread. Nobody is talking about the contents of LOTR as a franchise being "grounded". Its a matter of its technical aspects of filmmaking that make one look grounded in reality and the other not.

If you want to be excited for the show, go ahead, nobody is stopping you. But this is a thread for discussion in which people are free to share their own thoughts, opinions and concerns and discuss with others. If all you can offer is snarky posts that basically amount to you standing in a corner with your arms crossed and scoffing at anyone rather than genuinely engaging with a dissenting opinion why are you even posting.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
jett said it before me and you jumped to GoT's defense, then i replied to you... i was third on this discussion loool
The line of discussion in the sense of me outlining that no, Rings of Power literally does not look far beyond everything that's done been done in Game of Thrones begins there. I would not have bothered to go search out for examples to prove my point and outline what I feel Game of Thrones did well in comparison to what's on display here otherwise.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeahh I believe it's this one. The two trees of Valinor. According to VF only the first episode will contain flashbacks.

lord-of-the-rings-amazon-studios.png

Maybe it opens with Galadriel narrating a big flashback, just as how the LOTR movies started. It would be kinda neat if they got Blanchett for that, with the voiceover slowly turning into Morfydd Clarke's. Its super cheesy but it instantly connects the older and younger incarnations of her character.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Vanity Fair has a new article up with some interesting deets:

Shore is back.

Practical orcs

5 stories they want to tell throughout multiple seasons:

A lot more here:

www.vanityfair.com

10 Burning Questions About Amazon’s ‘The Rings of Power’

Showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay dive deeper into the details of the lavish “Lord of the Rings” TV series.

They removed the part about Howard Shore.. Weird. Either it's not happening or they spoke too soon and they're waiting for a bigger reveal.