• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The future is a mix of perplexity LLM input and source prioritirizing like neeva (rip) and kagi.
I'm afraid only the current giants can deliver such service

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Google is the embodiment of Enshittification bullshit. And the 2 guys mentioned are the head Enshittifiers. Man, I love that word. It perfectly encapsulates what's happening in tech.
As Cory Doctorow notes, our era is the Enshittocene, and we're waist deep in The Great Enshittening, in which all the tech companies are enshittifying at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
As Cory Doctorow notes, our era is the Enshittocene, and we're waist deep in The Great Enshittening, in which all the tech companies are enshittifying at the same time.
Yeah, his most recent article in the Financial Times was great. I wish it kept going because it was so entertaining and yet so spot on in terms of analysis.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Half of this article is good analysis, the rest is unhinged conjecture, unsupported bombastic claims, and irrelevance.

This is Ed all over. Sometimes he is so clear on his point, with absolute clarity and evidence, and then goes on a huge rant that dilutes his point. I'd love for him to be more direct and stick to the message.

His recent podcast about growth is so, so illuminating on breaking down the issues with the tech sector today - including Google chasing growth above all. But I had to laugh when the last 10 mins of the podcast is a huge Ed rant while the guest says nothing. The guest maybe speaks for 25% of the runtime of the whole podcast.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
I read this thread and try to sincerely grasp what is so bad about Google - just to realize three things.

1. I rarely use google except for very specific things - which is mostly "safe"
2. I'm swedish and searching in swedish narrows the results down to a massive degree
3. I instinctively scroll down past the sponsored links and such - a thing i find most people don't.

Also - if shopping online i visit specific stores, i don't use google

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao no, not as long as I can't trust or source the answers
Does Jeeves look like the kinda guy who would just tell lies???
No wonder I've started using Bing...

Just beware, Bing isn't immune to shitty things, either. I damn near got scammed after searching for the manufacturer's website for a workbench I wanted to buy. First result was an ad or promoted result or whatever, but the website name and everything looked totally legit. Wasn't until right as I was about to checkout that I realized something looked fishy, went back and yeah, the official manufacturer's website is a different name and the one I was on had been linked to multiple scams that either didn't fulfill orders at all, or sent the wrong items. But, it was (and still is!) promoted by Bing when you search that particular manufacturer's name.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This is Ed all over. Sometimes he is so clear on his point, with absolute clarity and evidence, and then goes on a huge rant that dilutes his point. I'd love for him to be more direct and stick to the message.

His recent podcast about growth is so, so illuminating on breaking down the issues with the tech sector today - including Google chasing growth above all. But I had to laugh when the last 10 mins of the podcast is a huge Ed rant while the guest says nothing. The guest maybe speaks for 25% of the runtime of the whole podcast.

I tried to listen to his podcast and it was unlistenable. He's a hot take machine and argues with his guests if they disagree with him, but not in a good way.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even though Google isn't great, I've said it before but even Bing isn't without its major faults. It has been replacing my own descriptions or excerpts of my page with AI nonsense

Here's a recent example

bing-has-trouble-interpreting-serebiis-info-and-the-results-v0-66xrutgt7gvc1.png
bing-has-trouble-interpreting-serebiis-info-and-the-results-v0-hvrcjejx7gvc1.png

This stuff is going to kill websites. I have reported it where I can but eesh

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Even though Google isn't great, I've said it before but even Bing isn't without its major faults. It has been replacing my own descriptions or excerpts of my page with AI nonsense

Here's a recent example

bing-has-trouble-interpreting-serebiis-info-and-the-results-v0-66xrutgt7gvc1.png
bing-has-trouble-interpreting-serebiis-info-and-the-results-v0-hvrcjejx7gvc1.png

This stuff is going to kill websites. I have reported it where I can but eesh
holy shit

whenever I use it now it takes a second to load a generated "answer" instead of just showing the results lol

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would literally explain everything if the people at Google weren't using the same internet as the rest of us.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I've switched most search to Perplexity nowadays, it's actually really effective at surfacing results.

Perplexity genuinely has a shot to disrupt Google search. Best use case of gen ai I've seen outside of coding.

I just tested it with 2 searches i knew the answers and I am pleasantly surprised. It's basically a google search + a LLM analysis on-top of that and a summary. Google tries to do the same but the result is not as good IMHO.

I asked what the best value french door refrigerator was and it gave me the same answer I got after 30 minutes of research. (GE)
I asked if the 4080 was a good value and it said no, which is also correct (it's the worst value of all the 40X0 cards).

It appears that if you register you can use a more powerful model than the regular in-house 70B parameter model which I used in the above searches.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I just tested it with 2 searches i knew the answers and I am pleasantly surprised. It's basically a google search + a LLM analysis on-top of that and a summary. Google tries to do the same but the result is not as good IMHO.

I asked what the best value french door refrigerator was and it gave me the same answer I got after 30 minutes of research. (GE)
I asked if the 4080 was a good value and it said no, which is also correct (it's the worst value of all the 40X0 cards).

It appears that if you register you can use a more powerful model than the regular in-house 70B parameter model which I used in the above searches.
Yeah, it's generally better, but still has major kinks. I asked it something similar - to help me find an office chair that would look good in a dining room (which is where I work). It gave me a couple recommendations that were solid, but then it also recommended I go to a local restaurant because they have a nice dining room. So yeah, context is still iffy, but it'll get there. It is much better than Gemini, as you mentioned.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I started using Kiga (only found out about it because someone mentioned it on here a while ago) and occasionally copilot and im currently pretty happy with my search experience

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"Thank you for allowing me to interview for the position of ship captian. On my previous charter, i drilled holes in the hull of the ship, lit the deck on fire, and then rammed it into an iceberg. I would like to bring my expertise to your company."

"You're hired"

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Used perplexity for the first time. Perplexity is super salty about getting banned from here. Loool

zypyh5K.png

Last edited:

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Just like Boeing merging with MD and keeping the execs that flew that company into the ground, businesses seem to have no issue seeing a competitor implode and think we should give the people who did that a prominent place in our midst.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Used perplexity for the first time. Perplexity is super salty about getting banner from here. Loool

zypyh5K.png
Wtf, this AI shit is crazy, feels like one of those hate sites wrote all of this lmao. Shows how easy it is to sway AI, and is in no way unbias or neutral. Sigh.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
All searches seem like garbage now. Ebay being the most recent one to be added to the trash pile.

Search for a very specific printer model to directly replace the one you already have? Great, here are 50 printers none of which match your request or model number.

Search for Samsung chrome book? Here's any chromebook we have completely unfiltered.

Always have to use "advanced search" for it to just do what I asked it to

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Google Search got so bad last year I switched to DuckDuckGo and have been mostly happy with it since then

i use duckduckgo for last few years and it's excellent because i can actually find shit with it and google not.

so switch to duckduckgo or kagi or similar. literally zero point in using google search anymore
I've been very happy with DuckDuckGo for a few years now. It's simple and usable.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested article in both content and editorialism there towards the end.

Someone is really out to get that Gomes guy. Check out his Wikipedia entry.......

beat

Oct 28, 2017
These bits are not directly relevant to a story about how Google Search declined, but they're relevant to Zitron's larger project about the "rot economy", which has been his theme for quite a while now.
and now in today's letter:

This is the direct result of Silicon Valley's corruption by the managerial sect. While Prabhakar Raghavan may be a decorated computer scientist and academic, he arguably oversaw the destruction of Yahoo, formerly one of the web's most dominant search engines, and failed upwards into a managerial role that allowed him to take over — and now arguably ruin — Google's search product, chasing away Ben Gomes, a man responsible for actually building things. [Head of Instagram] Adam Mosseri was and always will be a manager making calls about products he has had no hand in building, and has architected the outright destruction of a social network used by billions of people.

And Sam Altman, a career failure famous for making himself rich and popular and upsetting those he works with, is on course to become the most toxic manager of them all. If left unchecked, OpenAI will perpetuate one of the largest thefts in history, looting the internet and using it to train models that have yet to prove their necessity other than as a symbol that Silicon Valley can still innovate.
Like I said, the bits about McKinsey and Purdue Pharma from last week were about his larger theme. It's worthwhile to think about why Google search has been wrecked and why IG has been made much worse and why Humane built an AI pin that sucks and why Altman's all hype and no substance. And also , Purdue basically creating the opioid crisis for profit.

But it's arguably more worthwhile to see all these things as facets of the same problem. If you buy that they are all part of the same problem, anyways.
Someone is really out to get that Gomes guy. Check out his Wikipedia entry.......
I honestly don't know what you're referring to. There is no entry for Ben Gomes at Wikipedia right now. The entry for Prabhakar Raghavan has been the site of a low level edit war since Zitron's post though.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know what you're referring to. There is no entry for Ben Gomes at Wikipedia right now. The entry for Prabhakar Raghavan has been the site of a low level edit war since Zitron's post though.

Searching for his name on Wikipedia brings up as the first result the article for "Toilet meal." Seems like malicious SEO, but I could be wrong.