Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Chapek will take the brunt of all the blame from everyone.

Whether he deserves it, on the other hand...
This on him but also Feige who said yes and got high on the supply and Iger for basically...setting this all up from the jump, and of course, not accepting the deals from SAG earlier and not delaying it a few months more.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
A producer who made billions of dollars in a staggeringly short period of time will be fine. Feige could l have a Quibi level flop and have many chances left.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020

oh-my-god-kamala-khan.gif

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Chapek will take the brunt of all the blame from everyone.

Whether he deserves it, on the other hand...

Iger is to blame too, increasing the studio's output and propping up Disney Plus with Star Wars and Marvel was his plan too.

I put most of the blame on Feige, he shat the bed

He shares the blame de facto but I don't think he is the main reason for Marvel's woes. He was very hands-on during previous phases and the new breackneck release pace clearly overwhelmed him. We had multiple reports of Feige having to delegate a lot of stuff and not being present anymore in film shoots. I am aware that film fans dislike this producer-led model but it is a fact that Feige is effectively the MCU's showrunner.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Actually, it was very likely this was on Chapek who bumrushed Feige to do all the Marvel things. This was the last movie under his watch.

Do you think Chapek said to Feige: "I don't want you to make any more Avengers movies, you hear me? Not a single one for at least five years. I don't like making too much money, let the logo die in public consciousness. Also, don't bother making a sequel to Shang-chi. You taking notes Feige? I got more ideas because unlike you I'm such an avid reader of comics: Eternals. That's right baby, make an Eternals movie. It'll be lit. As for post credit stuff, I want you to keep introducing new characters but do nothing with them, it'll drive everyone crazy haha. Just remember, I don't like money or keeping brands alive, no more Avengers movies, I forbid you to make one in phase 4. Finally I've decided Kang is gonna be the big bad, let's debut him on the big screen in an Ant-Man flick."

Or maybe Feige can take some responsibility too.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think Chapek said to Feige: "I don't want you to make any more Avengers movies, you hear me? Not a single one for at least five years. I don't like making too much money, let the logo die in public consciousness. Also, don't bother making a sequel to Shang-chi. You taking notes Feige? I got more ideas because unlike you I'm such an avid reader of comics: Eternals. That's right baby, make an Eternals movie. It'll be lit. As for post credit stuff, I want you to keep introducing new characters but do nothing with them, it'll drive everyone crazy haha. Just remember, I don't like money or keeping brands alive, no more Avengers movies, I forbid you to make one in phase 4. Finally I've decided Kang is gonna be the big bad, let's debut him on the big screen in an Ant-Man flick."

Or maybe Feige can take some responsibility too.

In my opinion, not making a new Avengers film, not making a sequel to Shang-Chi yet, introducing new characters or making Kang the next bad guy are not mistakes. These are all conclusions drawn after the fact and none of them are the actual issue. My perspective is that the main thing Marvel Studios messed up was the lack of a cohesive overarching story with forward momentum and the lack of crossovers in general, not Avengers specifically.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is not the lack of a cohesive over arching story. I'm really not sure why people are thinking that, given how previous phases worked out. Nick fury turning up and saying 'Avengers' was not an overarching story.

Making things *more* connected is exactly the opposite of what they should do. What they need to do is focus on making better films. Better plots, better writing, less shitty cgi and 'fix it in post'.

The MCU worked because the films were, on the whole, fun and decently written. You didn't need to do homework to watch them. The post credits scenes were a fun bonus, not 'must see for the next film'. They've lost their way.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
In my opinion, not making a new Avengers film, not making a sequel to Shang-Chi yet, introducing new characters or making Kang the next bad guy are not mistakes. These are all conclusions drawn after the fact and none of them are the actual issue. My perspective is that the main thing Marvel Studios messed up was the lack of a cohesive overarching story with forward momentum and the lack of crossovers in general, not Avengers specifically.

The much derided 'formula' is what audiences grew accustomed to. Avengers movies worked as a pay-off to character arcs or plotlines set-up earlier in a phase.

Characters also got sequels in a reasonable amount of time. Thor's hammer gets teased in Iron Man 2, we see him in his own movie immediately after. Ant-Man gets an origin movie, we see him again in Civil War soon after, etc. So Shang-chi not appearing on screen for so long is going to bite them in the butt, because franchise fatigue will dent any desire to see his next movie, as it has done to Captain Marvel. I'm sure if Marvels released after Black Widow for example it would have had decent box office. General audiences don't detest Carol and the gang, it's even worse, they just don't give a shit anymore thanks to an avalanche of mediocrity these last few years.

Guys like Chapek and Iger are not fools. They know striking while the iron is hot is fundamental in this line of work. All they wanted from Feige was an increase in productivity. What specifically got produced since Endgame was still in Feige's hands, as was the people hired to write and direct. I can understand him addressing past criticisms of the MCU by hiring people like Chloé Zhao and Nia DaCosta, but at the end of the day, there is still something in the mechanism of the MCU that's getting in the way of the filmmaking process and producing garbage scripts, with ridiculous budgets and bad CGI. The medium of TV has also been severely squandered, which as we now know is because their approach was unorthodox to say the least.

The MCU had a formula. They changed it. Now this is the result.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is not the lack of a cohesive over arching story. I'm really not sure why people are thinking that, given how precious phases worked out. Nick fury turning up and saying 'Avengers' was not an overarching story.

The post credit scenes back then weren't seen as throw away tidbits though. Thanks to Avengers coming soon after the initial movies, they were then seen as big reveal/set up for it, with the individual movies then all quickly leading to "Avengers". There used to be a lot of hype around them. The post credits scene also included stuff like Cap in the modern day or Thor's hammer falling to Earth, which had immediate pay off back then.

Without an Avengers, now the post-credit scenes suddenly become noise that lead nowhere, and the movies don't feel like they're connected in a big meaningful way, with characters also now disappearing for years. No Avengers basically broke the whole benefit of the MCU model, and if anything just left it as a dead weight (since people can be put off by the glut of material, but there's no real benefit to actually following it all).

Feige probably imagined the "Marvel" brand was now strong enough to carry audiences for years without an actual pay off with an Avengers movie (maybe to appease complaints of fatigue of the model? Or just because he thought it'd make the eventual Avengers movie an even bigger event?), and even the individual characters didn't matter either, and they could sell new characters on the strength of that brand. But obviously now we can tell he was wrong.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Even ignoring that it's just not a particularly good or interesting movie, man what a complete and utter rejection. Weirdly enough my sister, who never watches MCU movies theatrically, went to see it last night lmao.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is not the lack of a cohesive over arching story. I'm really not sure why people are thinking that, given how precious phases worked out. Nick fury turning up and saying 'Avengers' was not an overarching story.

Making things *more* connected is exactly the opposite of what they should do. What they need to do is focus on making better films. Better plots, better writing, less shitty cgi and 'fix it in post'.

The MCU worked because the films were, on the whole, fun and decently written. You didn't need to do homework to watch them. The post credits scenes were a fun bonus, not 'must see for the next film'. They've lost their way.
This. There never realy was a big overarching story. The Avengers films basically told a new villain of the week story. They weren't the third acts of a story told during a 'phase' (bullshit marketing term anyway).

One of the problems now ili is that now they actually try to build a big overarching story, in stead of just telling fun singular stories that cross over from time to time. The stories are actually hurt by it imo.

But also, even though fans try to downplay it, there is no denying fatigue is real. The MCU is filled with mediocre films that did gangbusters. People did show up for films that were just okay. No they don't anymore because after 30+ movies it has run its course. Some properties and good films will still be succesfull, but Marvel isn't the surefire box office hit it once was.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
It's highly likely that Black Adam will end up making more money than both Captain Marvel movies released this year COMBINED.
The Rock won.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I feel like it's all tea leaves divining anyway. In a way The Marvels is the most Avengers like movie in all of phase four, with properties from two different shows and previous movies coming together to fight a big bad, and it does the most poorly.

Maybe it was bad luck that the clear overarching storylines were introduced in Eternals and Quantumania, the two most panned MCU movies (though personally I found Eternals probably the only worthwhile movie in phase four), maybe it was arrogance that made them introduce these in lesser movies to sell more tickets for them. Either way I think it was misguided to think that people showed up for all these MCU movies because they were connected "somehow". Fans are salivating about the teased hero in the after after credits movie! Ultra nerds were, most people didn't care, what they did care for was a narrative arc that continued on into the next movie. That's something that's really lacking. Quantumania and The Marvels had this the most, but at the same time, Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel didn't really carry anything with them into this movie. There's no reason to watch this movie, outside of really liking the characters. Which I do, but not enough to buy a theater ticket.

Speaking of really liking the characters, the most criminal thing was not following up on Hawkeye+Yelena.

Anyway, it's probably also just superhero fatigue and too many weak movies.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The much derided 'formula' is what audiences grew accustomed to. Avengers movies worked as a pay-off to character arcs or plotlines set-up earlier in a phase.

Characters also got sequels in a reasonable amount of time. Thor's hammer gets teased in Iron Man 2, we see him in his own movie immediately after. Ant-Man gets an origin movie, we see him again in Civil War soon after, etc. So Shang-chi not appearing on screen for so long is going to bite them in the butt, because franchise fatigue will dent any desire to see his next movie, as it has done to Captain Marvel. I'm sure if Marvels released after Black Widow for example it would have had decent box office. General audiences don't detest Carol and the gang, it's even worse, they just don't give a shit anymore thanks to an avalanche of mediocrity these last few years.

Guys like Chapek and Iger are not fools. They know striking while the iron is hot is fundamental in this line of work. All they wanted from Feige was an increase in productivity. What specifically got produced since Endgame was still in Feige's hands, as was the people hired to write and direct. I can understand him addressing past criticisms of the MCU by hiring people like Chloé Zhao and Nia DaCosta, but at the end of the day, there is still something in the mechanism of the MCU that's getting in the way of the filmmaking process and producing garbage scripts, with ridiculous budgets and bad CGI. The medium of TV has also been severely squandered, which as we now know is because their approach was unorthodox to say the least.

The MCU had a formula. They changed it. Now this is the result.

The thing you are not taking into account is the effect of covid.

The formula changed because covid destroyed the original plan.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that changes anything to be honest, it just rearranged the timeline, not the content being produced. How about giving us Captain Marvel 2 instead of Black Widow?

it did change the content being produced. Many projects had extensive reshoots to change their story because of the new schedule and the way various projects followed each other was shuffled. If you see the original order, Falcon and Winter Soldier was meant as an Endgame epilogue, while Wandavision, Loki, Dr Strange 2 and Spider-man NWH formed a cohesive quadrilogy. The Black Widow film was sabotaged for years by Ike Perlmutter and it was something the fans wanted very much.

Marvel did mess up the execution of some of its projects but the schedule itself was something they had no control over for almost two years. More TV shows were shoehorned between the delayed films, further breaking apart narrative cohesion, because theaters were essentially off limits and streaming was Disney's main avenue for new content.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
it did change the content being produced. Many projects had extensive reshoots to change their story because of the new schedule and the way various projects followed each other was shuffled. If you see the original order, Falcon and Winter Soldier was meant as an Endgame epilogue, while Wandavision, Loki, Dr Strange 2 and Spider-man NWH formed a cohesive quadrilogy. The Black Widow film was sabotaged for years by Ike Perlmutter and it was something the fans wanted very much.

Marvel did mess up the execution of some of its projects but the schedule itself was something they had no control over for almost two years. More TV shows were shoehorned between the delayed films, further breaking apart narrative cohesion, because theaters were essentially off limits and streaming was Disney's main avenue for new content.
I agree with both you and cognizant - I think the issues lie in between? Post Endgame should probably have focused on building around Captain Marvel, with a sequel focused solely on fleshing out her character and her story. Let's be honest, CM1 did not do Carol enough justice and didn't let Brie really shine and establish herself as the one of the next anchors of the MCU.

But it's also true that Covid and subsequent reshuffling of the movies and shows impacted the stories themselves. There are clear signs in many of the p4/p5 content where certain scenes seemed out of place as if they were part of a completely different version of the story that ended up being delivered.

However, I think Marvel focused too much on forcing the movies and shows to conform to an overarching narrative as opposed to making good standalone movies and shows that loosely tie together, because that's all you really need to get to an Avengers movie. At the end of the day, if you make a few great movies and shows with characters that people like AND have draw power, then you can just connect them through post credit scenes alone.

Perhaps the original pre-Covid plan might have made more narrative sense but I'm not sure if that would have fixed the poor writing, stretching Feige's attention thin, the dysfunctional method of producing TV shows, etc.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
getyarn.io

It's the bomb!

Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994) clip with quote It's the bomb! Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That better not stand for Iron Man 3, a top tier Marvel movie. I'm starting to think some of y'all just don't like Shane Black films.

I don't have a problem with Shane Black's style. I'm sorry though I just don't think Iron Man 3 is good. And I even like the themes and stuff it attempts to dive into, but I don't think it was executed well.

Maybe it would have been a better movie on it's own right with original characters and what not, but especially within the context of the MCU I found it to be pretty wack all around.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This has to be the worst performing year for huge budget blockbuster Disney films ever. Like history has been made here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I agree with both you and cognizant - I think the issues lie in between? Post Endgame should probably have focused on building around Captain Marvel, with a sequel focused solely on fleshing out her character and her story. Let's be honest, CM1 did not do Carol enough justice and didn't let Brie really shine and establish herself as the one of the next anchors of the MCU.

But it's also true that Covid and subsequent reshuffling of the movies and shows impacted the stories themselves. There are clear signs in many of the p4/p5 content where certain scenes seemed out of place as if they were part of a completely different version of the story that ended up being delivered.

However, I think Marvel focused too much on forcing the movies and shows to conform to an overarching narrative as opposed to making good standalone movies and shows that loosely tie together, because that's all you really need to get to an Avengers movie. At the end of the day, if you make a few great movies and shows with characters that people like AND have draw power, then you can just connect them through post credit scenes alone.

Perhaps the original pre-Covid plan might have made more narrative sense but I'm not sure if that would have fixed the poor writing, stretching Feige's attention thin, the dysfunctional method of producing TV shows, etc.

I was reading this Inverse article this morning and agree with the sentiment:

It was only after the smash success of The Avengers in 2012 that the mainstream really began to think of the MCU as the MCU, but even then, during Phase 2, most people wondered when we were going to get another actual Avengers movie, rather than say, Thor: The Dark World. Yes, there are objectively good MCU movies that happen in between Avengers tentpoles, but let's get real. The reason why Marvel is floundering right now is simple: They're not making Avengers movies.

The possible truth nobody wants to admit, especially Marvel stans, is that the success of the MCU has little to do with the MCU itself. Instead, it's all about the Avengers. The siloed Avengers will never be as exciting to a mainstream audience as the legit Avengers are when they're all together. It doesn't really matter if it's the original line-up either. Getting new Avengers, and having old ones leave is part of the fun. The key is the team itself. Subconsciously, Marvel knows this, which is why most of the Disney+ shows deal with actual members of the Avengers, who are just kind of on vacation.

The problem with the recent approach is that if it's not an actual Avengers movie, it's hard to convince non-hardcore fans to care. Thor: Ragnarok proved to violate this rule, but try to imagine a version of that without the Hulk. Thor: Love and Thunder on the other hand feels inessential, almost like watching one of the Disney+ shows. WandaVision had moments of brilliant beauty and restraint, but then Wanda herself was mistreated as almost a side character in Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. The fact that a former Avenger was also turned into an irredeemable villain is also a baffling move for a media conglomerate supposedly obsessed with protecting their IP. Not to knock the artistic intentions of Sam Raimi, but wouldn't most people rather have seen Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange team up to defeat an evil force rather than the multiverse murder spree that we got?

While the upcoming film The Marvels offers us some of the superhero team-up content that should fuel the brand, the reality is this movie would stand a much better chance at the box office it was called Avengers: Rise of the Marvels. In the comics, Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau, and Kamala Khan all are members of the actual Avengers at some point or another. So, why not just go there right now? Again, this is an Avengers franchise, and seeing movies about heroes who team up and call themselves the Avengers should be the starting place for all these stories. The Marvels and Loki might be teasing a long game that leads to a new Avengers movie, but right now the road is simply too long. Nobody wants to wait anymore. We don't care if the villain is Kang or somebody else. We just want to see some version of the Avengers.

For the average person, the MCU ended in 2019 with the release of Endgame. It's now been four years since we've had an Avengers movie, and at this point, the effects of Thanos and "the blip" have been fully explored in the various movies and TV shows we've had since. It's time to move on. It's time to just give Marvel fans another actual, Avengers movie ASAP. If everyone is wondering why the MCU feels like it's fallen apart, maybe it's time to remember how it was assembled in the first place.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely go to movies these days because $$ but got free tickets and saw this. It was mid af. I thought captain marvel was slightly above average, I would put this at below average. Brie Larson was my fave part but that is more so because I like her in the role rather than anything that was written for her in this lol. I do not share the love affair with Iman as some others do. I feel like her acting is not good...she feels like she was transplanted from a daytime disney tv show into the MCU. That's the only way I can think of describing it. Love her personality and happy for her outside of the movie (shoutout to fellow Canadian) but just how I feel. And this movie relies on her quite a bit as a crutch or something. I also enjoy Monica but also at the same time couldn't possibly care less about her.

Ultimately bland and forgettable. Some cool action. Not much else. More relevant to this thread, the theatre was almost empty. Went evening time on a Saturday. Maybe too early? Not sure, haven't been to the movies in a minute.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
What is the Sony/Disney deal looking like right now? How many more joint films do they have?

Nothing is announced, so we are years away from the next one. So it fits perfectly with the rest of the MCU now with giant gaps between releases.

Sony is probably frothing at the mouth seeing these numbers. Disney gonna have to really open their wallet now to keep Spidey...

Really funny how the situation turned around. First it was, well Spiderman needs the MCU to remain relevant, now the position of power is reversed and the MCU absolutely needs Spiderman. He's it, they will not get bigger than him and they will not get bigger without him so Disney is going to have to pony the fuck up if they want that train to keep rolling.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
On their 100th Anniversary no less. WB is lucky Barbie was huge otherwise their 100th anniversary would've been like that too.

I mean, Disney lost nearly a billion dollars just with their summer films alone. Even if The Marvels magically ended up being their Barbie it would still have been a bad year all things considered. But the way it performed, and probably how Wish will too, puts this one in the history books.

It only shows that Disney film budgets are way too high and set the company up for colossal failure when they repeatedly misfire in a single year.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah. I'm in agreement with the sentiment that it's been an absolute mess post end-game. You can see what they were going for obviously, but sidelining the heroes everyone loves for so long to provide some exposition and introduce new characters is hubris, bad prognostication, or both. I also wish Sony hadn't fucked up the symbiote storyline but what are you gonna do. Could have been great having Captain Marvel, Spider-man, and Falcon Cap leading a new group and providing a foundation for future storylines rather than starting from scratch.

Like the SW sequels, Disney are really quite adept at making cataclysmic head-shaking decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.