• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
maybe they can fix the green tint in fellowship if they do

unlike the matrix, that one is 1000% unintentional and i refuse to believe otherwise
the other 2 movies dont have it, and it looks BAD

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I may be going a bit off topic here but does anyone know if a Lord of The Rings 4K release is ever going to happen?

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't happen, just might take a bit of time.

unlike the matrix, that one is 1000% unintentional and i refuse to believe otherwise

The main thing I want is for the theatricals to not be a hack job like the Blu-Ray releases were. Their picture quality is significantly worse than the EEs (green tint not included). Like this is a fucking farce of epic proportions and unfortunately because the EEs are so overwhelmingly preferred, there's not a great deal of fuss kicked up. Not quite the crime those non-anamorphic theatrical Star Wars DVDs were, but it's the same general idea.

The theatricals are better, and I want a pristine transfer of them.

Pilgore

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a fan of the EE's as well I'd say the theatrical versions are a little better paced and cut out some of the- not really crucial -scenes the EE's add to an already admittedly long set of films (also as a fan of the one scene in ROTK where the Witch-King mops the floor with Gandalf, it made no sense). And no matter what people say, the theatrical versions *are* the Director's Cut's. But man, I can't remember the last time I saw the theatrical cuts. It's just been EE for years now.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's intentional. PJ simply turned into a hack that doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome!

Unlike The Matrix which they could do a real 4k master if you wanted since it was done on film, Speed Racer was shot digitally @ ~2k so a 2k master is all you really are going to get out of it. I guess doing an HDR 2k upscale could work.
Meaning in 10 years Speed Racer will look like a turd and Matrix easily mastered in 64k. Analog>digital.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome!

Unlike The Matrix which they could do a real 4k master if you wanted since it was done on film, Speed Racer was shot digitally @ ~2k so a 2k master is all you really are going to get out of it. I guess doing an HDR 2k upscale could work.

The real benefit of a 4K UHD Speed Racer would undoubtedly be the HDR.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
exactly what we needed to hear

Man, this reminds me I haven't seen Reloaded or Revolutions yet. I should get around to it.
What are these other movies you speak of? (don't do it, life will be better, pls)

It's intentional. Side note, Matrix Revisited is one of the greatest making-ofs of all time [edit] or are you talking about LotR?

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Imo Fellowship Theatrical is the best movie of them all. ROTK and TTT i prefer in EE since they feel incomplete in the theatrical cuts
Yea, if I was to drop one EE it would be FotR. I like all of the additions, but the movie works just as well without them. There's a few moments in it that really help Gimli and Legolas' friendship arc which I would hate to lose.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You might be the first person I have seen in 15 years that has said this. To me the theatrical versions just feel incomplete, especially RotK.

Getting a little off topic, but there are at least a dozen of us, and honestly, although I've come to accept it, I find it truly baffling that the EEs are so widely adored. I'd say a majority of the added scenes are either redundant or actively work against the rest of the film. The only scenes off the top of my head that I felt were actually beneficial are those involving Boromir, although I'm sure there are a few more.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Meaning in 10 years Speed Racer will look like a turd and Matrix easily mastered in 64k. Analog>digital.
35mm film doesn't have infinite resolution.
New scans of older films for UHD releases are showing that it has >2K resolution, but a lot of them sure are noisy.
I generally don't mind it, but at a certain point - and we may have reached that point - more resolution is only revealing the texture of the film itself, rather than providing more picture detail.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bumping for no reason besides me wanting to because I just re-watched the Second Renaissance.

4K when.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Revisionist history of this past decade or so will often try to discredit this movie's innovations and influence, but if you lived the era you could see how many books, movies, music videos, videogames this movie inspired. A new era was truly born with this movie, and to this day it's a brilliantly crafted movie with fantastic imagery, a great message and extremely iconic scenes and characters. I don't hate the sequels as much as most, but it's undeniable they are far less inspired and interesting than the first movie. I'll probably pick this up.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1st one is a classic, and I for one enjoyed the other two as well. They might not have been as groundbreaking or memorable but they had some really great action and cinematography in the whole series.

The motorcycle chase scene with the twins is still amazing imo.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is the city scene background in the scene where Trinity runs on the rooftop supposed to look like a fake billboard?

Go to 2:34 and 2:55. Looks like trash how did I never notice this lol.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Getting a little off topic, but there are at least a dozen of us, and honestly, although I've come to accept it, I find it truly baffling that the EEs are so widely adored. I'd say a majority of the added scenes are either redundant or actively work against the rest of the film. The only scenes off the top of my head that I felt were actually beneficial are those involving Boromir, although I'm sure there are a few more.

Wow, I didn't know anyone else who feels this way. I absolutely agree. I keep my EE's for the amazing special features, but I only watch my theatrical blu-ray set, wouldn't want to view the films any other way.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
How good will this actually be in 4k with the special effects?
The film was shot on film and could be rescanned for a crisper/cleaner image. The effects are what they were for the time. Sony's Jumanji is an example where they redid the film scans seperately and put the effects shots in afterwards. So something like that is what I expect from WB with the UHD release.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The other two movies don't look green because they weren't new scans.
If they revisited the EEs then they'd be more likely to make the other two green than get rid of the green.
I heard somewhere that Jackson wanted to make them look more like the Hobbit movies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only movie shot with the camera used for Speed Racer that's been released on UHD was Cloverfield. I guess you could compare that to the regular Cloverfield BD if you want to see how much improvement there could be.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Was watching the second renaissance and noticed the machine started using humans as power in a more crude way before the war was over. kool.

NMzopl1.jpg

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while.

How do you even do 4k for movies that were made in lower resolution than that? Is it just an issue of merely up-ressing it?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sweet. I use m Xbox one S to play 4K blu-rays so will be picking this up day one. I was toying with the idea of going digital for films, but 4K movies are massive in size, so I'd be better just to buy the disc. Also looking forward to the UHD relase of Jurassic Park next month!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not asking if it is real or fake since it's obviously not, it's just SO obvious that I couldn't tell if the viewer was meant to think it was an actual city background or if it's some city-themed advertising billboard on top of a building or something.

Clearly the former but man it's obvious.

Those opening rooftop shots are some of the only bits that feel their budget. They're reused sets from Dark City, ironically enough.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
35mm isn't equivalent to 8K. That's more like IMAX territory.
People tend to cite 4k, but even that I don't believe, because if that were the case, you wouldn't see much (or any) improvement on a bluray between 35mm and 65mm, and yet, we do, a huge difference. The Master looks substantially better than any 35mm film on bluray, and even The Master has a few 35mm scenes, and the difference is noticeable immediately.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while.

How do you even do 4k for movies that were made in lower resolution than that? Is it just an issue of merely up-ressing it?

They re-scan the film at 4K. Post-production is almost always done at 2K (especially anything with a lot of CGI) so the film is essentially locked at 2K resolution, but they'll likely regrain it at 4K to give it more detail.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not asking if it is real or fake since it's obviously not, it's just SO obvious that I couldn't tell if the viewer was meant to think it was an actual city background or if it's some city-themed advertising billboard on top of a building or something.

Clearly the former but man it's obvious.
It looks good enough, especially for 1999 when CGI was not yet avaiable for every type of situation. In those scenes I was more happy about the rooftop sets themselves (which were taken from the movie The Dark City) than the backgrounds.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It looks good enough, especially for 1999 when CGI was not yet avaiable for every type of situation. In those scenes I was more happy about the rooftop sets themselves (which were taken from the movie The Dark City) than the backgrounds.
I think you're underestimating how jarring it can look it you really notice it. Especially the 2:34 part. I don't think it has anything to do with CGI since no other scene in the film looks like that. It looks as though they forgot to add any post processing to it or something. Anyway it's not a big deal at all. I literally just noticed it and have seen the film maybe a dozen times so it's clearly not an issue, was just commenting on how out of place it seems.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People tend to cite 4k, but even that I don't believe, because if that were the case, you wouldn't see much (or any) improvement on a bluray between 35mm and 65mm, and yet, we do, a huge difference. The Master looks substantially better than any 35mm film on bluray, and even The Master has a few 35mm scenes, and the difference is noticeable immediately.
I tend to agree, just on the basis that the 4K projections I've seen in theaters of digital 4K movies look substantially better than any 35mm movie I've seen.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I tend to agree, just on the basis that the 4K projections I've seen in theaters of digital 4K movies look substantially better than any 35mm movie I've seen.
It'll be interesting to see some 65mm on UHD, as far as I know, 2001 will be the first. The Master and The Hateful Eight aren't on there yet.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I didn't know anyone else who feels this way. I absolutely agree. I keep my EE's for the amazing special features, but I only watch my theatrical blu-ray set, wouldn't want to view the films any other way.

There's probably about 10 minutes across all 3 EEs that is actually worth keeping and most of that is Saruman in ROTK. There are a few little bits with Boromir and a literal few seconds in FOTR when Gandalf discusses Gollum with Frodo (in Moria) and the rest is all fluff. I honestly find the EE of ROTK excruciating to watch, it's way too indulgent.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

But in all seriousness, it doesn't need to be chunky or large in physical size like a vinyl or laserdisc, but yeah it's the right direction. Criterion has the right idea. Same dimensions as a regular blu-ray, but just by making it in a clear case that jettisons the obnoxiously ugly "Blu-Ray" plastic branding at the top, you've got something immediately palatable.

Well, according to the press release, "The 4K UHD remaster was supervised by the film's director of photography, Bill Pope," which is actually really great news because he'll know what the intent was. See, the problem with everyone saying "Ugh, they added the green tint. The Matrix was never supposed to be that green. Look at the original '99 DVD release" - the 99 release isn't necessarily accurate either, and looks a little bit brown considering Pope has supposedly said in the past that the 'green in the Matrix/blue in the real world' is a very deliberate design decision and it didn't really make it into that original DVD release.

Here's hoping Pope can find a happy medium and we get the closest colours to the original cinema release.

Indeed the dvd is not exactly correct either.

Link to a scan of a theatrical print: https://m.imgur.com/a/LcuQo

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
God, it looks so...old now. Leather trenchcoats and sunglasses as far as the eye could see.
Dated as hell.
Bruh, sunglasses day or night. How the he'll would you be able to see at night a pair of shades on but that ridiculousness is what made the movie great. We need more bold ideas like this. I hope someone gives the wachowskis unlimited cash to create more movies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh, sunglasses day or night. How the he'll would you be able to see at night a pair of shades on but that ridiculousness is what made the movie great. We need more bold ideas like this. I hope someone gives the wachowskis unlimited cash to create more movies.
The best is the intro to Reloaded where they are having that meeting before the Neo vs. Agents fight. Sunglasses at night AND indoors.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

A lot of this depends on a multitude of things. Mainly, how good is the source print they are scanning from, how are they scanning the print (not all scanners are the same quality), who's overseeing the scan, how much time are they devoting to fixing it up, etc.

A well kept 35mm print that was shot on a good lens will get you around 20 good megapixels before it's too noisy. 1080p resolution is 2 megapixels, 4k is around 9 megapixels, 6k is 19 megapixels.......so yes, 35mm film can potentially give you an amazing image on 4k, let alone on blu ray.

You can have a 35mm film that was scanned from a bad/damaged print that looks like shit, then you can have one that was scanned from a well kept print that looks great, but both can turn out bad if the company doing the scan don't take the time to do it properly, cleaning it up, resorting it, color correcting, fixing damage spots, etc.

I mean look at Suspiria for instance, watch the new Synapse blu ray, it looks jaw droppingly breathtaking, even stacked up against brand-new movies that were shot digitally. They scanned the print at 4k and it took them over FOUR YEARS worth of work to do this, frame by frame, that's how much time/care they put into it, as well as getting help from the films cinematographer.
http://synapse-films.com/news/suspiria-comparison-pictures/

Many movies simply don't get that kind of care behind their releases, either neglect when the source print was stored which leads to damage of the source print, or they just scan the film "as is" without taking the time to do it properly and carefully when it comes to cleaning and restoring it the best they can with the source they are scanning from.

Hell look at the 4k release of Terminator 2, it was a disaster, one of the WORST 4k releases, even the blu ray looks better because they dnr'd the hell out the 4k release and people look like wax with all the detail scrubbed away.

Now look at the 4k release of Blade Runner, simply amazing to watch at 4k.

This is a good short video showing the process of film restoration and what they go through (from Criterion)
https://vimeo.com/84135659

Last edited: