mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they were broad ideas stretched to make sequels I think at this point I consider them more interesting and better than a lot of films at the time (including some of the Wachowski's later work).

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm obsessed with Jessica Henwick's character in the trailer. Instantly iconic. Just like before, the Matrix is going to redefine what "cool" means for a whole generation.

Jessica-Henwick-Matrix-4-Header.jpg
matrix-resurrections-trailer-9.png

Yep. Though we'll also have to suffer through takes about how the Matrix is woke and ruined b/c she has blue hair.

Not sure how "cool Asian woman with colored hair" is considered "woke."

If anything, it's an old and tired trope.

www.teenvogue.com

Stop Calling Asian Women With Colorful Hair “Rebellious”

This trope needs to end.

www.glamour.com

It's Time for Hollywood to Stop Giving Asian Characters Bright Hair Streaks

There are more nuanced ways to show Asian women are bold or rebellious.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Not sure how "cool Asian woman with colored hair" is considered "woke."

If anything, it's an old and tired trope.

www.teenvogue.com

Stop Calling Asian Women With Colorful Hair “Rebellious”

This trope needs to end.

www.glamour.com

It's Time for Hollywood to Stop Giving Asian Characters Bright Hair Streaks

There are more nuanced ways to show Asian women are bold or rebellious.

I don't think it's really about this. When I saw the character in the trailer I just automatically thought of Blue is the Warmest Color.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Both are nonsense from a 'realistic' pov so not sure why it matters. Anyway plot will be the machines need neither and they're just protecting humans from themselves 🧠🧠🧠

I think there is a difference in degrees. Any reason for the machines to not just eradicate humankind is dumb, but some are dumber than others.

At this point, it is best to just not call attention to it, not even try to fix it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Just realised there's a guy wearing a face mask in the back. This iteration of the Matrix is designed in a post-Covid world?
The bit on the train's in Japan (you can see Mt Fuji in the background in one shot.) Wearing face masks in public is very common over there, I wouldn't think it's anything to do with Covid.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really about this. When I saw the character in the trailer I just automatically thought of Blue is the Warmest Color.
Ehh, I think both reasonings are not incompatible with each other. I don't think it's actively malicious, but the fact that one of the examples is from Sense8 could easily lead to a suggestion that Lana Wachowski engages with this even if it doesn't register to her.

EDIT: It's not like the previous movies are clean, the use of albinism to create otherworldly and dangerous vibes is a big sticking point.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm getting tired of the complaints about Keanu's looks. John Wick oozes confidence and proactive violence. Neo in this trailer displays none of that. He's a depressed confused guy who fights defensively. Keanu's not going to win an Oscar, but he doesn't get enough credit either.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What I don't understand about the point that the Matrix movies are movies inside this new movie is that when Neo and Trinity meet in the trailer, why is she saying "have we met?". Cause, uhm, yeah, how about on the set of the Matrix movies? 😅
I'm confused.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
What I don't understand about the point that the Matrix movies are movies inside this new movie is that when Neo and Trinity meet in the trailer, why is she saying "have we met?". Cause, uhm, yeah, how about on the set of the Matrix movies? 😅
I'm confused.

Imagine showing this screenshot to people in 2003 before Reloaded released:

maxresdefault.jpg

"Is...is that the director of The Matrix, and was Neo an actor all along!?"

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Just revisited the highway scene from Reloaded this weekend and yeah it is pretty hype as it was when i watched it in the theatre.

Can't wait for some more Matrix.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'm getting tired of the complaints about Keanu's looks. John Wick oozes confidence and proactive violence. Neo in this trailer displays none of that. He's a depressed confused guy who fights defensively. Keanu's not going to win an Oscar, but he doesn't get enough credit either.

Yeah, it's funny, I was watching a bunch of Matrix clips, and it struck me that while Keanu is obviously not the greatest at line reading, I was surprised and impressed by how convincing and effective the rest of his acting was, like his body language. When watching him act terrified or ashamed or triumphant or whatever, I felt the same way along with him, because he genuinely looked like someone who was terrified, ashamed, etc.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've always defended Keanu against people who say he's a bad actor. Is he fuck. I agree his line reading isn't great but how many actors have embodied as many iconic roles as Keanu? Not many and it's not a coincidence. He has a really particular kind or charisma and puts 100% into every role.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, it's funny, I was watching a bunch of Matrix clips, and it struck me that while Keanu is obviously not the greatest at line reading, I was surprised and impressed by how convincing and effective the rest of his acting was, like his body language. When watching him act terrified or ashamed or triumphant or whatever, I felt the same way along with him, because he genuinely looked like someone who was terrified, ashamed, etc.

I think he's a very 'internal' actor, who likes subtlety rather than wear his emotions on his sleeve, so if you concentrate on his facial tics, body language and vocal tone, you can see a better performance than if you just judge him on the surface level. In fact I think the more he displays conventional emoting when asked for by a director the worse his performances are.

He may look and sound the same as John Wick, but even in this short trailer I can see a completely different character, definitely more vulnerable than Wick. The way he says "You don't know" me is his peak Neo voice, I can't imagine Wick saying it the same way.

But hey, maybe I'm imagining all this!

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've always defended Keanu against people who say he's a bad actor. Is he fuck. I agree his line reading isn't great but how many actors have embodied as many iconic roles as Keanu? Not many and it's not a coincidence. He has a really particular kind or charisma and puts 100% into every role.

Amen

He's unique, has a real charm on and off screen, seems personable and has a varied, interesting filmography across five decades that's rare amongst his peers

Be absolutely first in line if he ever decided to write his memoirs

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yup, I think a lot of people just repeat that without watching his work purely because a lot of other people say the same thing.

Compare Ted Theodore Logan to Jack Traven to Neo to John Wick to John Constantine etc etc and they're all vastly different characters. Hell, compare Ted from the first film to the one in Face the Music and you can see the weariness of pressure just in his physicality. Is his range as broad as other, more renowned actors? No. It's hard to argue that he can't do everything but the stuff he can do he can do as well as anyone. Certainly in terms of physical emoting, rather than vocal, and commitment to a role I personally think he's second to none.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yup, I think a lot of people just repeat that without watching his work purely because a lot of other people say the same thing.

Compare Ted Theodore Logan to Jack Traven to Neo to John Wick to John Constantine etc etc and they're all vastly different characters. Hell, compare Ted from the first film to the one in Face the Music and you can see the weariness of pressure just in his physicality. Is his range as broad as other, more renowned actors? No. It's hard to argue that he can't do everything but the stuff he can do he can do as well as anyone. Certainly in terms of physical emoting, rather than vocal, and commitment to a role I personally think he's second to none.
Bang on. To me the effort Keanu puts into his John Wick role is just as impressive as what Daniel Day Lewis does for his, just in a very different kind of way.

I'm glad the world seems to have warmed to Keanu the last few years. I remember all the cardboard cutout jokes etc. from years gone.

I've loved the man since Ted and Johnny Utah ❤️

Oct 27, 2017
I'm obsessed with Jessica Henwick's character in the trailer. Instantly iconic. Just like before, the Matrix is going to redefine what "cool" means for a whole generation.

LOL, almost positive that definitely won't happen. It was more that the original movie came out at a time when the all black, leather look was cool. Hence why that look was also found in the Fox Xmen movies as well. This most certainly isn't going to be setting any modern day fashion trends

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Though we'll also have to suffer through takes about how the Matrix is woke and ruined b/c she has blue hair.

Luckily we won't be able to hear any of that over the tidal wave of this being everyone's Halloween/cosplay/night out/fashion runway inspiration for the next 2 years.

I like the optimism and I hope it's true, but if the movie bombs none of these things will come to pass. So let's see it become a hit first!

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Some more things I noticed during watch #1,239 of the trailer and related materials:

There was a promo released last week right after the trailer that included a brief conversation between a man and a woman like the one from the beginning of the first movie.

I think there are two new character names in there. The woman seems to call the man "Seek" and I think the guy calls her "Bugs." The woman's voice could very well be Jessica Henwick as well.

There are not a lot of sound effects in the trailer, but there's one for Trinity's bracelet, oddly enough.

The city in the trailer is pretty recognizably San Fransisco while the city in the previous films was a generic "Mega City," though with some nods to the Wachowski's hometown of Chicago. Other cities do exist in the Matrix, though, as Neo is researching Morpheus appearing at Heathrow Airport at the beginning of the first movie.

While many people have brought up the use of the colors blue and red in the trailer, there's also quite a bit of gold. There are several shots with golden lighting and at the end, there is even gold code streaming upwards:

sBMKlv1.jpg

Gold was used to represent the Source and the machine world in the sequels. Seraph was also gold, though it appears that no one is entirely sure why.

7ZNusAK.jpg

They had the idea for a trilogy from the very beginning according to the Matrix Revisited, they even wanted to release them the way they did years later.

On a kind of related note, there's a script floating around that claims to be for Reloaded, but from April 1999. I am dubious of its authenticity both because it seems too early for such a thing to exist and also because it is, from what I've read about it, quite different from the movie we got. I'm in such a Matrix mood right now that I might read it anyway though lol.

Last edited:

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Rewatching Matrix Reloaded and something stood out to me. Monica Belluci's line "how many people do you know carry silver bullets in their gun?" she then shoots one of merovingians goons. Clearly the two henchmen in that scene are implied to be a vampire and werewolf from a previous Matrix. But what's interesting is that a Vampire/werewolf movie is playing on the tv the whole time behind them. Reminded me of the Resurrections trailer and how there seems to be footage of Matrix playing in the background.

Matrix wiki has the two goons listed as "Cain" and "Abel" and they come from the previous "Nightmare" matrix. Interesting stuff.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching Matrix Reloaded and something stood out to me. Monica Belluci's line "how many people do you know carry silver bullets in their gun?" she then shoots one of merovingians goons. Clearly the two henchmen in that scene are implied to be a vampire and werewolf from a previous Matrix. But what's interesting is that a Vampire/werewolf movie is playing on the tv the whole time behind them. Reminded me of the Resurrections trailer and how there seems to be footage of Matrix playing in the background.

Matrix wiki has the two goons listed as "Cain" and "Abel" and they come from the previous "Nightmare" matrix. Interesting stuff.

The lore for the Matrix Universe has always been interesting to me.

Im enjoying everyone's new discoveries and revisiting of The Matrix Sequels post Mat:Res trailer.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

I wanna say in Enter the Matrix you fight other vampires and you have to put wooden stakes in them.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see the characters back, but could they please bring back Neo instead of John Wick?

Hard for me to take in that this is Matrix when he rocks the exact same look from John Wick. A bit ridiculous to me, I say.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

In Reloaded the Oracle specifies that when people see angels, werewolves, ghosts and vampires in the Matrix they're seeing glitchy programs. Hence all the Merovingian's henchmen are implied to be various of the above. They've sided with him rather than be deleted.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I read it as they were the inspiration for the myths, not the machines assuming the form of myths, because they were never intended to be there. A similar story of a "supernatural" occurrence was one of my favorite Animatrix shorts when I saw it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I read it as they were the inspiration for the myths, not the machines assuming the form of myths, because they were never intended to be there. A similar story of a "supernatural" occurrence was one of my favorite Animatrix shorts when I saw it.

So does that mean in the real world there were never any myths about vampires or ghosts? I find that hard to believe.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the idea is that they came from the second Matrix version. The first one was a idyllical one that people didn't believe, and in the second one (called "Nightmare") was one the machines overcompensated and created using human history and folklore as a base. They relied heavily on the folklore part, as they created werewolves, ghosts, vampires, etc, and made the world inhabitable.

The Merovingian was an important part of it, and when the machines deleted that version, the Merovingian exiled himself with a few of these monsters and they kept themselves in the newer versions.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
No, the idea is that they came from the second Matrix version. The first one was a idyllical one that people didn't believe, and in the second one (called "Nightmare") was one the machines overcompensated and created using human history and folklore as a base. They relied heavily on the folklore part, as they created werewolves, ghosts, vampires, etc, and made the world inhabitable.

The Merovingian was an important part of it, and when the machines deleted that version, the Merovingian exiled himself with a few of these monsters and they kept themselves in the newer versions.

Oh I see. But then the Oracle also mentioned these supernatural programs as "doing something they're not supposed to in" the current version and references ghosts, vampires, and otherwise when she's talking to Neo on the bench, like this is a process that's still underway (and appears to be so in the Animatrix). So maybe these are just bad, leftover code? Or new glitches?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see. But then the Oracle also mentioned these supernatural programs as "doing something they're not supposed to in" the current version and references ghosts, vampires, and otherwise. So maybe these are just bad, leftover code? Or new glitches?
They are "exiles". Basically programs from previous versions of Matrix that become rogue, stop working for the machines, and they try to continue "living" hidden within the Matrix.

Smith becomes an exile after Matrix 1 for example, he becomes rogue and tries to overcome the machines on its own, which is why Neo makes a pact with the machines to stop him and stop the war.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
They are "exiles". Basically programs from previous versions of Matrix that become rogue, stop working for the machines, and they try to continue "living" hidden within the Matrix.

Smith becomes an exile after Matrix 1 for example, he becomes rogue and tries to overcome the machines on its own, which is why Neo makes a pact with the machines to stop him and stop the war.
I see. But I think that this doesn't preclude exiles from being unnatural occurrences from this version of the matrix, as I mentioned before. The Matrix just overcomes them usually, unlike Smith.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. But I think that this doesn't preclude exiles from being unnatural occurrences from this version of the matrix, as I mentioned before. The Matrix just overcomes them usually, unlike Smith.
No, but the original version, as a said on this post, were indeed machine-created representations of myths. The machines created ghosts, angels, vampires, but when they tried to delete that version of the Matrix as it was a disaster, they went rogue within the protection of the Merovingian and survived in the modern Matrix. They are hunted by the machines through the agents, yes, but they're well hidden.

At any case, everything's better explained here: https://matrix.fandom.com/wiki/Exile
The Matrix lore is weird lol

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely allows for a lot of possibilities within the lore for many sorts of things to happen. You could tuck a whole urban fantasy series in there. Shame we're only getting this movie.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
The official trailer at Warner Bros Youtube account is up to over 28 million views now and the trailer has been trending ever since it had premiere i think.

Even if that is multiple views from the majority of people i think it´s truly impressive.

If you also put in the fact that the majority of people didn´t like Reloaded and Revolutions (i liked them) its kinda safe to say that the Matrix universe and the original trilogy made a huge impact to the film industry and people are really hyped to go back into that world.

Im debating for myself if i should call it a day with the first trailer and try to go into Resurrections not knowing anything more. Im trying really hard to keep my expectations in check but it´s damn hard now.

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they will run a trippy ad campaign. Would be fitting.

edit: might be bit of a cynical take, but I wonder if they will have Keanu doing all those force pushes because he is not able to do the moves anymore?

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
On a kind of related note, there's a script floating around that claims to be for Reloaded, but from April 1999. I am dubious of it's authenticity both because it seems too early for such a thing to exist and also because it is, from what I've read about it, quite different from the movie we got. I'm in such a Matrix mood right now that I might read it anyway though lol.

Could be real. I always figured they had elements of the trilogy planned out given that we see what looks like The Architect's room at the beginning of the first movie.

aG-cmMRwIU3pr3LfshKO3mKEG7HXtibG4C7rsAY4ChM.jpg

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they will run a trippy ad campaign. Would be fitting.

edit: might be bit of a cynical take, but I wonder if they will have Keanu doing all those force pushes because he is not able to do the moves anymore?
Don't know, it hasn't been that long since John Wick 3 and he had a pretty involved fight with the two guys from the Raid there.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I imagine when writing the story they'll certainly have taken into account that they were going to be working with a 56 year old not a 33 year old, albeit one who's kept in terrific shape. Don't think we'll be seeing lots of flips and wire-fu. Even in the world of the Matrix that would require a big suspension of disbelief!

TBF though, given that his training in the 1st film was all downloaded into him by Tank it wouldn't be particularly hard to write out a lot of the martial arts he learned if he's a new/rebooted version of Neo.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Don't know, it hasn't been that long since John Wick 3 and he had a pretty involved fight with the two guys from the Raid there.

I hadn't thought about it much until now, but while he's pretty physical in all the John Wick films, he's definitely getting a little bit rigid in his movements, which plays fine in John Wick, where he's meant to be a past-his-prime old man who's been given the beating of his life over the last couple weeks and relies on clever little cheap tricks to overcome his opponents. But not so much in The Matrix, where regardless of age, Neo's the One, and isn't bound by his physical limitations at all.

The choreography in Wick is meant to be rough, chaotic and desperate, which plays into Keanu's current physicality. The choreography in The Matrix is meant to be graceful, elegant and balletic, which I'm not sure Keanu's up for anymore. So I wouldn't be surprised if Lifejumper was close to the money: that he just won't be doing as much of the choreography in this film and stick to the telekinesis stuff.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I like to think it goes in hand with Neo's enlightened 'buddha' like aspect, someone who doesn't actually relish fighting, and is more about defending himself than seeking violence (like John Wick would or even M1 era Neo).

Almost every scene in the trailer is defensive, even in a location that evokes the iconic lobby of the first movie where he brutally murdered a bunch of clueless security guards (for the common good!!!), he's just deflecting bullets this time. Dude is being chased on a bike, diverting missiles, parrying Morpheus, etc.

There are few glimpses of him lashing out though, which are interesting, the end of the Morpheus fight, and hitting some dude in a shadowy interior location. But for the most part I think the lack of action for an older wiser messianic figure is fitting. Ironically, this is akin to what people complained about when Reloaded released. "Why is Neo still fighting agents when he's basically a god!?"

(I never got on board with that complaint. It's an action movie, let the man fight for crying out loud, martial arts is one of the biggest factors of The Matrix that's so enjoyable)