• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017

- PS5 does not use Ray-Tracing of any kind. In Series X they implemented Ray-Tracing (partially) in ambient occlusion and reflections, but in PS5 they have removed all this (Series S did not have RT either)
- The lighting and ambient occlusion on PS5 has been modified a bit (in places giving good results and in others not so good). In the area of the beginning, for example, they have changed the direction of the light by completely changing the lighting of the rooms.
- By sacrificing RT, they have had scope to increase resolution on PS5. It runs at dynamic 4K like Series X, but does not have peaks as low as those reached by Microsoft's console. In areas where Series X fell below 1080p, PS5 remains above 1260p.
- In terms of performance, PS5 suffers more stuttering than Xbox (especially in cinematics) at 30FPS
- Shadows on PS5 have also undergone changes. In some areas, shadows appear harsher than other platforms (especially outdoors).
- Anisotropic filtering is slightly improved on PS5 over Series X.
- The textures are of the same quality in all versions.
- On PC, certain settings such as DOF, parallax occlusion, ray-tracing or the drawing distance are still higher than the rest of the versions.
- Loading times are twice as fast on Xbox Series compared to PS5. However, PS5 loads textures faster on startup.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the PC version.. The PS5 version doesn't sound very appealing at all.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a reasonably good game?

Flew under my radar but saw that it had many next gen features for the Series X. I looked at reviews and they were not kind.

I guess I'm wondering if the game is generally regarded as a bit better than the critics rated it.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The game was a technical mess on PC so I'm not shocked that the PS5 port ain't great either.

Flew under my radar but saw that it had many next gen features for the Series X. I looked at reviews and they were not kind.

I guess I'm wondering if the game is generally regarded as a bit better than the critics rated it.
No it's mediocrity in its purest form.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Nope. Felt painfully average to me. If you have Gamepass, you can give it a try and it'll only cost you precious time. Which I suppose is still better than paying actual money for the game. I dont really recommend playing it. The bit in the hotel was... ok, but after that it goes further downhill.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question here but what exactly is 'Anisotropic filtering', and why would it be crazy that this better on PS5 compared to Series X?

3267843-20170208154726_1.jpg

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question here but what exactly is 'Anisotropic filtering', and why would it be crazy that this better on PS5 compared to Series X?
Anisotropic filtering is a method use to sharpen textures as they get way from the camera, to keep image quality high. An example:

9M5Fn.jpg

PS5 having a better AF than Xbox is interesting, because during the PS4 days it was very common for games to not have any AF solution in place on Sony consoles, but the Xbox versions had it. In fact, Xbox One X forced it many times even if the game didn't have it out of the box.

I think now with PS5 it's more common to at least be on par, but it's still somewhat interesting to see improvements over the Xbox version after years of Sony machines missing it.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018

Maybe take a look here first:
www.resetera.com

EmmaSkies: "The Medium & Its Incredibly Insulting Story of Trauma" (Spoiler and Trigger Warning)

I came across this tweet by Twitch streamer EmmaSkies earlier today. Before reading any further though, a trigger warning is in order (sharing the one that she herself wrote): You can find a brief summary of the problematic content in The Medium in the replies: She also posted a...

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
From the sounds of the initial reception on Xbox it is probably sensible of the devs to not invest too much in to the port.

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
Anisotropic filtering is a method use to sharpen textures as they get way from the camera, to keep image quality high. An example:

9M5Fn.jpg

PS5 having a better AF than Xbox is interesting, because during the PS4 days it was very common for games to not have any AF solution in place on Sony consoles, but the Xbox versions had it. In fact, Xbox One X forced it many times even if the game didn't have it out of the box.

I think now with PS5 it's more common to at least be on par, but it's still somewhat interesting to see improvements over the Xbox version after years of Sony machines missing it.
Thanks for helping me understand.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Bummer. I actually preordered and have this already downloaded on my PS5. I enjoyed it enough on Series X that I wanted to play through this again when the Fall came around. I saw the trailer about Dual Sense implementation in the upcoming PS5 version and wanted to try it out…but from what was posted here it doesn't even work lol. Oh well, no one to blame but myself for preordering this for no reason. I'll still play through it for the trophies.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Better res on PS5 but thats all .... ? Xbox Series X has faster loadings, better lightning , better reflexions with RT

I was expecting more 1 year later...

anyway , its a great game :)

Last edited:

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017

No it's not. You can probably find enjoyment playing it, perhaps if you are nostalgic towards this kind of games but it's not good. I'd say that the reviews often are to kind.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The stuttering is due to frame-pacing isses on PS5. there doesn't seem to have any kind of ambient occlusion in some areas. They removed RT. longer loading times. What a mess on PS5.

The AF seems identical. The difference is likely due to higher resolution on PS5.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
I saw a review this morning that suggests DualSense support is broken on PS5 despite them having a whole trailer about it.

Sounds like a minimum effort port.

I played it to test out the DualSense, and the DualSense features were definitely working but what implementation there was was pretty much what you'd expect. The Adaptive Triggers use for running was meh, the charging of the shockwave was nice, touchpad is used to rotate items, and the gyroscope when first person looking was pretty wonky

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Bargain bin it is then. No way I'm buying this for $50, will wait for price drop, as usual with Bloober Team games.

Nov 12, 2017
I enjoyed my time with this on pc w/3080 looks like the ps5 version needs some more time in the oven

Better res on PS5 but thats all .... ? Xbox Series X has faster loadings, better lightning , better reflexions with RT

I was expecting more 1 year later...

anyway , its a great game :)
1 year? it only came out in January...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A game that I forced myself to like, but I just gave up after a couple hours.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So they managed to make it worse… lol at twice the loading time, I don't even know how that happens.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
everyone seems to hate this game, why? some on the other hand say its great.. why?

i'm curious. it seems like something i might enjoy, but im hesitant.. i've enjoyed Bloober's other stuff, so..

Bloober sucks. I couldn't believe how lame Blair Witch was.

what?? i thought it was one of the best horror games ever, absolutely loved it. certainly the best dark forest environment ever, looked and sounded really convincing. genuinely spooky atmosphere, compared to lame stuff like Outlast etc.

and it had Bullet! how could you not want to explore with Bullet?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's a super divisive game. There are issues with the story, especially towards the ending and in one moment in the middle. Its use of some tropes is really not good. It still has interesting ideas, it builds tension well, and the dual-reality stuff makes for great moments.

If you want to play it, give it a shot. But there's no way to know if you'll like it or not.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn

Its OKAY at best . I got a month of Game Pass specifically to play this on stream and I didnt even finish it because of how bored I got . The gimmick patent (dual world thing) they like to remind people they own is nice it's first/second time but ultimately pointless .
It's like holding a patent on a ketchup sandwich. Like yay. Good for you .

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
First Observer had no RT on Series X, now PS5 hasn't got any for The Medium.