• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (Xbox Series X|S) (71)
Metacritic (PC) (75)
OpenCritic (75)

Eurogamer (recommended):
The Medium is the studio's most successful, accessible offering yet, and a sign that Bloober continues to improve, mature, and innovate. I cannot wait for its next terrifying adventure.

Polygon (no score):
Eventually, The Medium abandons its surprisingly empathetic take on the afterlife altogether to become a thriller, which, while honing in on a single thread, ends up being shallow and disappointing. The twists aren't predictable but aren't shocking, either, and while the latter half of the game sets itself up as an intricate web of interconnected relationships and secrets, it teases out hidden identities and other twists for way longer than it took for me to figure them out, leaving me waiting for the story to catch up. By the time I'd rolled credits and began processing what had just happened, I realized I didn't have many plot points or striking moments to chew on.

Kotaku (no score):
In a different reality, I could see this game being something special. And it might, like so many other horror games and movies, go on to become a cult classic. But in this realm, for me, it just doesn't come together.

The Verge (no score):
The Medium lasts around 10 hours, which is just the right length for the story to wrap up nicely. It even ends on an Inception-style cliffhanger, where what actually happens is fairly ambiguous. (I can't wait to have people to talk about it with.) But in terms of gameplay ideas, it does end rather abruptly: just as the game starts finding really interesting ways to play with the dual-world structure, it's over. The last few hours are far and away the most interesting, and I wish the rest of the game was as inventive. The multiworld premise isn't quite a game-changer, but it adds just enough to make this psychological thriller worth checking out.spe

Mashable (no score):
The story's emotional beats are written and executed well enough that I was nonetheless happy to go along for the ride even if some of the pieces didn't make much sense in hindsight. I'd still recommend waiting for a few patches to hit before you jump in, especially if you're planning to play on PC. But despite all the issues, I was invested the whole way through and came away with the feeling that The Medium is a journey worth taking.

TheGamer (5/5):
The Medium never hits a flat note. I beat the game in two long sittings, and there was never a point during either that I felt like the game dragged, or could've used a little more polish, or left too many loose ends hanging. It's a lean, compelling experience that says what it has to say, then leaves you to grapple with the specifics afterwards. There are images, lines, and ideas from The Medium that I'll likely take to my grave thanks to this approach, as it puts the onus on the player to piece everything together. You have to wrap your brain around the spirit world's twisted logic so much that it becomes a part of you, as you live through Marianne's pain with her and help to navigate her trauma. Much like Marianne's past, don't expect The Medium to leave your head any time soon.

PowerUp! (9.7/10):
Not for the faint of heart, nor those susceptible to trauma, The Medium is an intensely disturbing masterclass in storytelling, dripping with atmosphere and loaded with enough dread to make you question the very nature of your existence when you're finished with it.

Gamers Heroes (95/100):
Bloober Team has long established itself as a purveyor of innovative and frightening horror experiences, but it will be tough to outdo this one. The Medium is a terrifying and disturbing look into the darkest recesses of human behavior, wrapped in an immersive, atmospheric, and beautiful looking game world.

SomosXbox (9.3/10, review in Spanish):
The Medium is Bloober Team's next big step. With its marvelous design and accurate portrait of History, Bloober Team surprises us with a new take on psychological horror and familiar drama. By far, its one of the darkest and most beautifully written stories you can find on Xbox.

PC Gamer (92/100):
A third-person horror game that's elevated by some of the sharpest writing and acting in the genre.

Generación Xbox (9.1/10, review in Spanish):
The Medium is an incredible journey, a necessary game that stands as one of the exponents of the genre. A dramatic story that you won't want to miss.

GameSpot (9/10):
And to that end, The Medium's conclusion sticks with you; it's one last horrifying reminder that trauma may not define a person, but it can have consequences we can't even begin to foresee if it's not adequately dealt with and simply left to fester over time. I can't say I enjoyed the ending to The Medium, but I am deeply satisfied with how it sets up the inescapable nature of its horrifying conclusion.

The Digital Fix (9/10):
While The Medium does not look truly next-gen, the excellent dual-reality mechanics and storytelling prowess of Bloober Team ensure it is one of the most technically and narratively sophisticated horror games to come out in years, recalling the best of games like Silent Hill.

TheXboxHub (4.5/5):
All in all, The Medium on Xbox is the game fans have been waiting for. A dark, mature, scary, visually appetizing next-gen delight with a gripping story, it is one to not miss if you are a fan of psychological horror. Above all, this feels like an experience that really shows the chops of the Series X, and will likely serve as a benchmark title going forward, especially if the few remaining technical issues are patched. All of this being said, the gameplay may not be for everyone and some of the subject material may bring high levels of discomfort (and not in the fun horror style), so it may be wise to look before you leap. For my part, I absolutely adored this game, and I cannot wait to see what Bloober Team does next.

GameWatcher (8.5/10):
Despite its linearity, I'd argue that The Medium is a genuinely chilling ghost story that's sure to leave a lasting impression. The splitscreen effects make for quite a few memorable moments, and there's no denying the growing sense of accomplishment as you solve difficult puzzles and make your way through the cursed resort. It may not be on the same level as some of its inspirations, but I'd definitely recommend The Medium to any fan of classic survival horror.

God is a Geek (8.5/10):
The Medium is without a doubt Bloober Team's biggest game to date, and it is easily one of its best. The story is captivating as are its characters, and the uneasy journey you take through it feels much like if Stranger Things was set in the Alan Wake universe.

Critical Hit (8.5/10):
Literally straddling the line between supernatural and real-world horror, The Medium is satisfying, sleek, and sophisticated in every department. While it makes only limited use of its signature simultaneous reality mechanic, and features some of the same gameplay frustrations as earlier Bloober Team games, it's easy to overlook such stumbles. The Medium sidesteps scare gimmicks to deliver a masterclass in mature horror, one rooted in atmosphere, all-round restraint and an enthralling region-specific story.

EGM (4/5):
The Medium builds upon a lot of gameplay gimmicks and ideas that aren't always used to their full potential, but when they do work, they work incredibly well. Controlling main character Marianne as she jumps between worlds is both engrossing and exciting in practice, and the game's main location serves its job as a setting for horror masterfully most of the time. This is a game that definitely could have been better—but which is also better than a lot of other horror games that don't take such daring risks.

Hardcore Gamer (4/5):
One could argue that outside of its creative double-world approach, The Medium isn't the sort of revolutionary horror game that one might hope for from the start of a new generation in gaming.

IGN (8/10):
Brilliantly paced and palpably tense, The Medium is a psychological horror adventure that's all thriller and no filler.

Twinfinite (4/5):
The dual-reality mechanic goes just about far enough to keep its slowest gameplay moments interesting, and paired with a fantastic narrative and exceptionally eerie atmosphere, it's an easy recommendation for fans of Bloober Team's work in the past and the horror genre in general.

Noisy Pixel (8/10):
The Medium provides the best classic survival horror experience through modern gameplay systems that I have played in quite some time. It does this all without relying on action and gore but instead builds its excellence through atmosphere, environments, and narrative. There's some refinement that could help the overall experience, but this is a gripping adventure whether you're in reality or the spiritual plane.

Game Rant (4/5):
The Medium is a short game that does not offer much in terms of replay value. Normally this would be a serious problem, but The Medium is available through Xbox Game Pass, and so its short length isn't nearly as pressing of an issue. It's short but mostly sweet, and will definitely appeal to fans of classic survival-horror games. It's easily Bloober Team's best game yet and something Xbox Series X owners should check out as soon as they can.

Xbox Achievements (80%):
Layers of Fear showed early promise, Blair Witch demonstrated that Bloober could resurrect a dormant movie license to great effect, and Observer saw the studio successfully turn its hand to cyberpunk horror. The Medium is a similarly excellent game, serving as further proof of the developer's horror expertise and its credentials as an exciting creative outfit.

Windows Central (4/5):
The Medium is one of the most gorgeous horror games I've ever played. Its detailed environments, compelling characters, and unique setting make it a must-play for psychological horror fans.

Stevivor (7.5/10):
Because of its macabre nature, The Medium won't be for everyone — and certainly isn't a killer Xbox app — but it's definitely worth a try if you're an Xbox Game Pass subscriber.

Wccftech (7.3/10):
Marianne might be able to jump between two realities, but The Medium is trapped somewhere between being a worthy Silent Hill successor and another mediocre hide and seek horror game.

GamingBolt (7/10):
The Medium is a decent horror game that has some really good ideas, but ultimately fails to live up to its potential.

Screen Rant (3.5/5):
The Medium is well-worth checking out for fans of old-school survival horror, and it's coming to Game Pass on day one, but despite being entertaining, it will inevitably leave players wanting more from a promising but ultimately uneven experience.

The Escapist (7/10):
While The Medium's design stumbles are disappointing, its human characters and gorgeous world are ultimately the things that stuck with me. Once I finally made it to the end of the road, I immediately restarted the campaign to experience all of the narrative breadcrumbs with the newfound clarity of the ending in mind, which is the sign of an effective story. And the game's day one availability on Xbox Game Pass is just another in a long line of reasons why the service is a must-have. It might not reach the unforgettable highs of James Sutherland's time in the town of Silent Hill, but The Medium carves out its own corner of the genre that's worth losing a bit of sleep over.

Game Informer (6.8/10):
This is a horror game with more tedium than tension

Press Start Australia (6.5/10):
The Medium is, without a doubt, Bloober Team's most ambitious game in terms of scope and scale. It successfully leverages fixed camera angles and strong sound design to inspire a horror experience that's unashamedly nostalgic. Despite its successes, it never really capitalises on its unique dual reality mechanic and ultimately feels the same as the team's previous games.

AusGamers (6.2/10):
For a title devoid of action, outside of a couple of stealth sequences and a 'run towards the screen from the giant monster bit', The Medium might commune with the spirit world... but it fails to communicate all that well with the player.

Rocket Chainsaw (3/5):
The Medium is obviously the biggest and most ambitious project from Bloober Team yet, but it doesn't quite hit the mark I'd hoped for. Its aggressive linearity and simplistic mechanics/gameplay pull down what is otherwise an eerie and engaging narrative adventure. I still thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game, but it isn't quite the experience I had hoped for. If you're after a new linear narrative adventure game set in a creepy world to play, you'll likely enjoy The Medium, but if you're hoping for a more involved experience, I'd suggest skipping it.

Slant Magazine (3/5):
There's certainly technical wizardry at work making the game's big hook possible, and the realm of the dead is a well-imagined bit of dark artistry, but we've also seen smarter and more compelling iterations of the same idea in recent years.

WellPlayed (6/10):
Much like Bloober Team's previous horror efforts, The Medium features an interesting story in a compelling and creepy world but is let down by often boring and dragged-out gameplay sequences

Destructoid (6/10):
My favorite part of The Medium ended up being its "semi-fixed cameras," which blend old and new design philosophies in a way that seems genuinely palatable in 2021. That's the real achievement here. I can easily picture a more well-rounded sequel happening, and for what it's worth, I hope it does.

Shacknews (6/10):
Despite some missteps, there is good in The Medium. If you want a decent horror story to wade through, which offers telltale signs of the classics we've come to know and love, then Bloober Team's latest is just that.

GameSpew (6/10):
The Medium isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination – it's just nothing special. The dual world mechanic doesn't offer much that's genuinely new or interesting, the next-gen visuals are let down by poor animation, and the controls are a bit clunky. It's also simply not scary. The saving grace is that the world that's been created here is interesting, allowing for a story that keeps you wondering what the next revelation will be throughout its eight-or-so hour running time. Still, there's good groundwork here if Bloober Team does ever deliver a sequel – hopefully with better facial animation, more grotesque enemies roaming its environments, and an actual combat system.

VGC (3/5):
The Medium won't give you any sleepless nights, but treat it as a paranormal thriller rather than an all-out horror game and you'll find an interesting story (albeit a disturbing one at times) that will encourage you to push through its slightly repetitive split-screen gimmick to find out how it all ends. A short but intriguing tale.

Trusted Reviews (3/5):
The Medium is an enjoyable survival horror that's held back by a lacklustre narrative and a signature mechanic that never reaches its full potential…Even with Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka's score ringing across its twisted soviet world, Bloober Team's latest project pales in comparison to the legends that came before it.

Pure Xbox (6/10):
As a narrative focused experience, The Medium generally impresses. In terms of gameplay, it often just feels too easy and lacking in depth. But even with criticisms towards the latter, if you're looking to embrace a horror game for one dark night or two, The Medium is a worthy choice. It's clearly the vision of a team who loved the concept and wanted to take players on a narrative driven adventure, filled with dark themes and systems such as the dual-reality mechanic that feel integral to the story. If you can accept The Medium for the experience that it is, you're in for a good time that will continuously surprise you with its story beats and absolutely incredible visuals on the Xbox Series X.

VG247 (3/5):
If you're after action and full-on horror, The Medium will likely leave you wanting, and considerably so. This is more of a slow burn, the twisted plot unravelling over six to eight hours. I found the pacing to be ideal, with the game throwing just enough moments of high intensity into the mix to keep things interesting. There is a big bad of sorts, but don't expect traditional boss fights, with encounters being designed to be intimidating and scary rather than difficult. Bloober clearly wanted everyone to be able to see this story through to its conclusion.

Comicbook.com (3/5):
The Medium certainly has a story worth telling, but the stop-and-go nature of the vehicle for the narrative may prevent some from fully exploring it. The Xbox Game Pass release seems like a smart route for the game because of that, and while I'm normally hesitant to experience games in this way, I feel like I would have enjoyed The Medium much more if I'd watched someone else play it.

Digital Trends (3/5):
The Medium is a chilling tone piece that's bogged down by retro influence and a protagonist that can't stop oversharing.

DualShockers (5.5/10):
Despite its technical prowess and stunning visuals, The Medium is a drag. From slow, uninteresting gameplay to a confusing and poorly executed story, Bloober Team's latest makes for a good tech demo, but not much else.

Explosion Network (5.5/10):
I found myself rather bored a lot of the time, and straight-up hating several sections for being tedious or repetitive.

GamesRadar (2.5/5):
The Medium tries to do a lot but never really seems to stop and see if any of it's working.

Attack of the Fanboy (2.5/5):
The Medium will scratch the horror itch for some for a while but fails to live up to its potential in a number of significant ways.

Paste Magazine (5/10):
A good horror game can make rifling through old postcards and personal letters a compelling experience. But The Medium seems entitled, in that it expects me to be titillated by its character design and atmosphere but won't give me enough context to actually care about them. Between that and its tired puzzle-based progression barriers and dull character powers, The Medium fails to justify its existence.

CGMagazine (4.5/10):
The Medium is a poor game that is rife with bugs, bad ideas, and some nice things to look at.

The Guardian (2/5): [SPOILER WARNING: review contains spoilers]
This certainly is a game of two worlds: one very beautiful and one very empty, unfortunately leaving us with a game that is all skin and no spirit.

GAMINGbible (3/10):
Buried underneath the messy narrative and the mundane gameplay, there's a good game in here, somewhere. But for the most part, The Medium is a game that I'm very happy to put behind me and never think about again. For any fans of horror, I would firmly recommend you give this game a miss.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
giphy.gif

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting a 76-80 score overall.
I think the split-screen world gives something unique which may make it score higher compared to other horror games

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
76 is my bet!

But I do appreciate the innovation and new approach Bloober is doing here. They are a small team and constantly improving. I like them. Curious if reviewers are convinced of the new dual screen mechanic and the story that is being told.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I feel it will be more gimmicky then real gameplay value. I have a weird feeling, would say 65-70 rating .

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope its good. It's been a looooong long time since I played one of these types of fixed camera games, and if its at least half decent i'll give it a go.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
75-80 is my guess, but regardless of score since it's a Fixed Camera Horror game I'm playing it as soon as I can

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bloober is doing a lot of cool and unique things with this game, so I hope it does well.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
It's a Bloober Team game. They have some neat ideas and art is usually quite OK, but they often run short for the rest, expecting 6's and 7's at most.

Will try it on Gamepass though, I like the concept, and have visited Krakow enough to be willing to see a bit what a game does with it.