Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
header.png

Platform: PC/Nintendo Switch
Price: 19.99$
Release Date (Global): August 30, 2018
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Developer: Sabotage

As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan's survival.

Leveraging player expectations as a core design ingredient, The Messenger is first presented as an 8-bit action platformer with a simple story only to turn into an epic time travelling tale, eventually revealing itself as a 16-bit Metroidvania packed with replay value and deadpan humor.​

a_the_messenger_new_world.gif

a_the_messenger_bit_transition.gif

a_the_messenger_laser_danger.gif

Anyone else excited? Personally, this is a day one!

Jdevil99

Oct 27, 2017
All the praise this game is getting has me even more excited for it to unlock on my Switch Thursday. The old school look, nail-biting tough platforming and some of the game mechanics they've shown off, plus the crazy stuff I'm sure that remains to be seen, this is going to be a must own indie for fans of the genre. Hyped!

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I'll get it on Steam, may double dip if physical release on Swith in the near future.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Preloaded this last night after watching the creators of Ninja Gaiden play it. Sold me on it. I'm glad the reviews reinforce my choice.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to try this out, but between Hollow Knight and Dead Cells this will have to wait a bit.

$25 CAD is a bit much too, wish it was $19.99 CAD as well.

It looks very good though! I'm hoping it's not too hard (I suck at games).

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on taking some time off from buying new games, but the reviews for this are so good that I might just go for it.

On the other hand, I got burned earlier this year when I picked up Celeste based on rave reviews and it failed to click.

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
I don't have time to play anything nowadays but I'll get it day one just to show support. The art, the level design, audio design all seem top notch, previews seem overwhelmingly positive, The Sabotage Studio totally seem like my kinda dudes, I gotta do my part.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Planning to pick this one up once I finish Guacamelee 2. So many good platformer games this year.

Bobsworth

Jan 22, 2018
I'm not liking this as much as other reviewers it would seem. Really enjoyed it at the beginning, but the more I play the more it frustrates me. And the soundtrack really isn't all that great.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered the second I could on Switch and will play wearing my official Sabotage t-shirt. Heck yes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I don't have time to play anything nowadays but I'll get it day one just to show support. The art, the level design, audio design all seem top notch, previews seem overwhelmingly positive, The Sabotage Studio totally seem like my kinda dudes, I gotta do my part.

great avatar dude, that was my favourite Game Gear game back in the days!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i preordered the game on Switch, it is midnight here and i can´t play this game? sheesh, how backwards is that, even if you preorder you have to wait till the next day? ridiculous..

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
great avatar dude, that was my favourite Game Gear game back in the days!
thanks dude GG was actually the first console and Shinobi GG was the first console game I ever owned (C64 was my first gaming rig before than that) I love it when ppl remember the game fondly (like recently in the Streets of Rage 4 thread) & hate it when they downplay it; It's still one of the best 8-Bit action platformers of all time, here's hoping The messenger can get its place among the greatest also.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to pick this up after I finish up Shovel Knight

Anyone have any insights on quality of soundtrack and difficulty?

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. First time hearing about this game. Devolver never does wrong to me with what they choose to publish, so think I need to check it out since it is on the Switch.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Damn. First time hearing about this game. Devolver never does wrong to me with what they choose to publish, so think I need to check it out since it is on the Switch.

well at the moment "it should be" on Switch... because here it is after midnight, August 30th and nothing can be played, even if you preordered the game...does Nintendo even have a clue why people pre order? mostly to play at midnight but at Nintendo you have to wait till the next noon it seems...

first and last time i ever preordered something on the eshop, that is for sure .-)

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
well at the moment "it should be" on Switch... because here it is after midnight, August 30th and nothing can be played, even if you preordered the game...does Nintendo even have a clue why people pre order? mostly to play at midnight but at Nintendo you have to wait till the next noon it seems...

first and last time i ever preordered something on the eshop, that is for sure .-)

It also has a nice $3 discount for pre-ordering. But ya, if there's no discount and the game size isn't that big then I dont see the point in pre-ordering.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks hella-cool. "The Messenger" is unfortunately a boring, non-descriptive name for it tho.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's weird, because a lot of pre-orders do unlock at midnight, but some don't (like this one). Sucks.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
It also has a nice $3 discount for pre-ordering. But ya, if there's no discount and the game size isn't that big then I dont see the point in pre-ordering.
So $19.99 is the discounted price? If so I will grab it now. I held off as I thought it was released today and did not think it mattered since I saw I will not get it tonight. But if that is the discount I will grab it now. Or did I miss the discount?

EDIT - Nevermind, just saw in the OP it says $19.99 is the regular price. Guess I missed the discount. Would have been nice but oh well. Grabbing it now.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Saw Mark Brown (GMTK) on stream today playing and he was not impressed. Maybe because the early levels are not very demanding, but nevertheless I'll give the game a shot

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It's weird, because a lot of pre-orders do unlock at midnight, but some don't (like this one). Sucks.

yeah, i didn´t even know this is a thing on the eshop...i mean, which year is it?

on every other console store you can play your pre ordered game at midnight and if not they explicitly state it...i was really looking forward to get a few hours into the game this night, when it said "you can´t play yet" i was like "C´mon, lemme play!" .-) many people exactly pre order for that reason, to play at midnight and get a few hours in before they go to sleep...

and after checking online i learned that some eshops update at afternoon, so you can play your pre ordered game at afternoon on release day in the worst case. that is really ridiculous...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I played so much Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. I liked them even more than Shinobi.

This is like a dream come true.

I don't feel anyone else ever tried to expand on that formula. The 8 to 16 big switch looks amazing. I have never seen that idea before.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Do we know anything about how difficult the gam is? I struggled with Celeste but played through Shovel Knight (even though it was quite hard). Is this a game for me or no?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting enough, my Micro SD decided to die. Had all of my games on it. So was not able to download until I removed it. Formatting the card did not work either. It appears to be dead. I have an older one from my 3DS, just time to pick up a new one finally it looks like. Had plenty of room on my System Storage though so got it downloaded there. Looking forward to playing this tomorrow.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Preloaded this game. First time I've done that. I'll have to take the switch to work, though to play it before tomorrow night. Looks amazing. So many games on my Switch now. To get the discount, you have to have another game from the developers. I bought Enter the Gungeon just now and the 15% discount showed up on The Messenger. Used my gold coins for another $5 off.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
So $19.99 is the discounted price? If so I will grab it now. I held off as I thought it was released today and did not think it mattered since I saw I will not get it tonight. But if that is the discount I will grab it now. Or did I miss the discount?

EDIT - Nevermind, just saw in the OP it says $19.99 is the regular price. Guess I missed the discount. Would have been nice but oh well. Grabbing it now.

hmm...it may be that deal where if you already own one Devolver game (Enter the Gungeon and Minit in my case) then you get a discount on other Devolver games.