• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm no purist. I don't need my video games to be games alone. I don't need my reaction times or problem solving abilities pushed to their limits to have my interactive fill. I cherish the emotional labyrinth of Gone Home. Despite all of their jank, I still enjoy the moral pop-quizzes of Telltale's episodic adventures. And whenever Naughty Dog has a new release, I'm down to pop in and out of cover, and pop in and out of cutscenes. I value the storytelling capacity of the medium as much as I value the storytelling capacity of novels or film.

Street Fighter provides some of my favorite narrative experiences in gaming. I'm dead ass serious. It's given me the same kind of chills I felt in Journey when realizing my robed companion was not the CPU. Though the premise of Street Fighter is basic, and the player interactions aren't much different from what you'd find in other fighting games, that basic premise and the player base have been in a decades long dialogue that is—at times—transcendent. At times, because there's an imbalance in the narrative experienced by the characters versus the narrative experienced by the players. It's like a 7-3 matchup. It should be 5-5, but Street Fighter has too much damn story.

ZHmXxxM.jpg

Image from www.capcom-unity.com

THE EXPERIENCE OF STREET FIGHTER

The convenience store next to my elementary school didn't sell milk or bread. It sold sour candy and comics with hologram covers. This trap house for kids also had enough room for a few arcade machines. At first it was games like Caveman Ninja, Sega's Spider-Man joint, and The Simpsons (I mained Marge), but one afternoon I walked in and heard sonic booms and yoga flames. I honestly don't remember what came to the shop after.

This is how my Street Fighter relationships begin. I first saw the Warriors' Dreams and New Generation marquees at a pool hall that would kick me and my cousin out when the grownups started to order drinks. My girlfriend and I waited for hours to get into the SFIV launch party in Little Tokyo. EventHubs hooked me up with a community pass for E3 2015 and I spent the entire time in the SFV booth getting blown up by the likes of Alex Valle and Justin Wong. I tend to meet these games in public. That first glance is always between shoulders at an upright cabinet. In these settings, Street Fighter is a mirror. I watch players control fighters who are watched by NPCs, sitting on their crates and standing on their yachts. The NPCs watch fighters controlled by players who are watched by me.

I'm not one of those OGs who can tell stories about getting shanked for using throws in Hyper Fighting. I'm not a tournament player. I would attend a local if there was one between my workplace and home, but I ain't finna go way out to Orange County or Azusa. I'm just a filthy casual with 27 years to wash off. I'm fine with being an online warrior. But even though I don't belong to the competitive crowd, that scene enhances my experience of Street Fighter. There's a social network that accompanies these games, installed by grassroots competition. The pros and the pro-ams play the same game as the straight up amateurs. Thanks to netplay and the open-bracket tradition of fighting game contests, they often play in the same place too. In Street Fighter, Kevin Durant goes to Rucker Park all year long. Because of this, every rando is included in the community, involved in the history, and influences the continuity.

Some of you may be familiar with Low Tier God. Despite his handle, he didn't make his name being godlike with characters considered weak in the meta. He made it by being a troll. He was recently banned from Twitter for sexually harassing a cosplayer, and he's probably most infamous for losing a grudge match to Jay Viscant back in 2014 (a grudge he started by antagonizing his opponent on YouTube). When I encountered him online a few days ago and took the first match free, I'll admit to feeling proud for shutting down a real life Street Fighter villain. When he downloaded my style and beat me the next two games straight, the loss I held to my chest felt heavier than normal. I have no personal history with the man. Nobody saw this battle but me, him, and his Twitch followers. The added drama didn't make me gain more League Points when I won, and I didn't lose more when I lost, but the stakes felt higher somehow.

We hear about the emergent stories of Minecraft or Fortnite, but what is the emergent story of Street Fighter? Of course, there are stories that emerge from matches. The classic "Evo Moment #37" is a minute-long thriller that shows our hero, Daigo, being an impatient aggressor who discovers focus at the very brink of defeat. But more broadly, there's an emergent saga that has followed the series throughout the years. In the early days, you had people grinding away laundry money to become the champion of their bowling alley or pizza parlor. When the arcades began to vanish, coin-op refugees took to Usenet newsgroups to theory fight and argue about who was the best. They traveled across states, countries, and even oceans to prove they were as good as they typed. A few went on to organize tournaments that grew from dozens to thousands of participants. The Evolution Championship Series shares this arc. The Street Fighter V tourney at Evo 2018 had nearly 2,500 entrants competing for an $85,000 prize pool. The Top 8 had representatives from the United Kingdom, Japan, France, the United States, and the Dominican Republic. Evo is perhaps the most prestigious event on the Street Fighter calendar, but every month sees majors all around the world. We now live in a time when taking jet planes to challenge citizens of the Earth in Street Fighter can be a person's career. In 1991, there were only eight World Warriors. How many are there now?

dragon-fortress-1993-gi-joe-street-fighter-2-vega-chun-li.jpg

Image from thedragonfortress.wordpress.com

THE NARRATIVE OF STREET FIGHTER

Street Fighter lore is a convoluted soap opera of karate mysticism, paramilitary organizations, and transhumanist secret societies. It didn't begin this way. Early installments stuck to tropes established by exploitation flicks like Enter the Dragon. In the original Street Fighter, the King of Muay Thai presented a gauntlet with pairs of combatants repping five nations for...reasons. In Street Fighter II, a mysterious crime lord invited eight hopefuls to take him and his three henchmen on for...reasons. Sure, some of the endings in SFII hinted at motivations beyond prizefighting, but it was generally assumed that the characters fought for the same purpose as Evander Holyfield or Bret "The Hitman" Hart. It was their occupation. Or avocation. It's just what they did.

Street Fighter the video game series didn't need much story to justify the action. Street Fighter the multimedia franchise provided it anyway. 1993 brought two volumes of manga. 1994 brought two feature films. 1995 brought two TV shows. Much of this material would not make it into game canon, but the influence of the "Street Fighter Expanded Universe" is seen in the animefication that crescendos with the Street Fighter Alpha sub-series. The retconning that happens during the Alpha games suggests Capcom regretted leaving most of Street Fighter's world to the imagination. You could hardly blame the company. Street Fighter characters were already iconic by the mid '90s. They even held their own when paired up with the massively popular X-Men (X-Men vs. Street Fighter hit arcades in 1996). Few pop-culture properties featured the diversity and bold design to match Marvel's flagship superhero team (only '90s kids will remember nobody caring about the Avengers). Street Fighter had it, but what it didn't have was over thirty years of backstory like the X-Men.

The plot holes were patched with increasingly contrived combat scenarios. Street Fighter kept running out of excuses to have fighters in these streets. What once required no more set up than, "It's a guerrilla martial arts tournament," mutated into G.I. Joe team-ups to stop the dictator, or the cyborg CEO, or the ghost of the dictator, or the Emperor of the Illuminati. This type of constant escalation is very difficult to sustain. It can exhaust fans of even the most beloved franchises. Like the X-Men. As allegory for marginalized struggle and teenage disillusion, the X-Men were—at times—transcendent. But now, X-Men lore is a convoluted soap opera of romantic entanglements, cosmic entity possessions, alternate futures, alternate pasts, and alternate Days of Future Past.

I'm not lobbying for Street Fighter to go full Playdead and eschew dialogue for environmental storytelling (unless you gon do it). And I'm not here to be militant and take away anyone's arcade mode. We saw how that turned out for SFV's launch. Street Fighter needs some story, but it could do with a lot less of it. Or at least, it could do with a lot less of the kind that makes comic book crossovers look restrained. Take less cues from DC and Marvel. Take more cues from Rocky and Hajime no Ippo. Save the spectacle for when we hear, "Fight!" and let it end with, "K.O." Fill the interstices between matches with a glimpse at the lives and relationships of Street Fighter characters, and let that glimpse reflect the lives and relationships of Street Fighter players.

THE METANARRATION OF STREET FIGHTER

When G and Sagat were released for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, I was eager to check out their trials and mess around with them in training mode. I was less eager to play through their prologues. The Character Story mode in SFV could have featured portraits unburdened by the weight of other storylines, but this mode still struggled to give the fighters compelling reasons to fight. Ibuki confronts Abigail over fart noises. Birdie tries to bounce Ken from Karin's dinner party. Blanka attacks Laura for stepping on his Blanka-chan merchandise. Riveting stuff.

Sagat's gets dark. His PTSD almost makes him Tiger Rampage his servant. But G's story, somehow, is arguably the most biting political satire in games this year. Longtime fans are busy speculating about his connection to Q from Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, but all the story portrays him as is a New Yorker using social media to spout pseudo-populist, totalitarian nonsense. Oh, and gold. He got lots of gold. Capcom lighting up Donald Trump isn't even what interests me the most about G's prologue, however. That honor goes to Rashid. Rashid watches G's video and decides to take a jet plane to challenge this citizen of the Earth to a street fight. But why? There was no tournament going on. Rashid wasn't avenging the death of his friend. G didn't pose immediate danger to anyone. Was it (in the immortal words of Guru from Gang Starr) just to get a rep? Or was it because…

y2xt4hn.jpg

Image captured from Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition on PS4 Pro

...he seemed like a new kind of Street Fighter? A "Street Fighter!" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the only time that has been used as a proper noun in these games. G is a Street Fighter. Rashid is a Street Fighter. Ryu and Chun-Li are Street Fighters. I mean, of course they are, and always were, but the narrative of the series rarely acknowledges that this is their occupation. Or avocation. This is just what they do.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines "metanarration" as, "any narrative text, or part of a text, which deals with the nature of storytelling and narrative structure." A common way for a story to explore the nature of storytelling is through self-reference. This can be achieved when the events of a story reflect the ways in which we experience the story. Street Fighter is this kind of ouroboros. The Street Fighters fight each other because it is their profession, passion, or pastime. We live that story when we play Street Fighter against one other, be it our profession, passion, or pastime.

siWnKzo.jpg

Image captured from Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection on PS4 Pro

Street Fighter shouldn't bring the character narratives closer to the player narratives just to satisfy my idea of elegant storytelling. Street Fighter should do it because this stuff writes itself. Nobody had reason to be surprised when Sako took TWFighter Major 2018. He's one of the Five Gods of Japanese Street Fighter. He won the inaugural Capcom Cup in 2013. He's been playing SF for longer than his winners finals opponent, 21-year-old Caba, has been alive. But we were surprised, because he's a husband and father who told Caba's Guile to go home and be a family man. Because he's pushing 40 in a sport where 25 is considered up in age. Because he won his first SFV major with a 21-0 record. He didn't lose a single game. That might not be as interesting as watching Ryu struggle with the Satsui no Hado for the fourth or fifth time, but it's pretty damn close.

GG if you read all of this. GG if you're salty that I wrote all of this.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/metanarration

Last edited:
OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This topic is probably better suited for a YouTube essay, but I don't know how to edit video so you're just gonna have to hold dat. NihongoGamer recently put out a vlog touching on some of the same ideas, however.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
Some of you may be familiar with Low Tier God. Despite his handle, he didn't make his name being godlike with characters considered weak in the meta. He made it by being a troll. He was recently banned from Twitter for sexually harassing a cosplayer, and he's probably most infamous for losing a grudge match to Jay Viscant back in 2014 (a grudge he started by antagonizing his opponent on YouTube). When I encountered him online a few days ago and took the first match free, I'll admit to feeling proud for shutting down a real life Street Fighter villain. When he downloaded my style and beat me the next two games straight, the loss I held to my chest felt heavier than normal. I have no personal history with the man. Nobody saw this battle but me, him, and his Twitch followers. The added drama didn't make me gain more League Points when I won, and I didn't lose more when I lost, but the stakes felt higher somehow.

Don't bury the lead, I NEED to see LTG get salty after you beat him down. It gives me the warm fuzzies. What's your CFN ID and was it recent?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly agree that less is more for fighting game stories. It also doesn't help that cinematic story modes are a time sink for development.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Don't bury the lead, I NEED to see LTG get salty after you beat him down. It gives me the warm fuzzies. What's your CFN ID and was it recent?

My CFN ID is JusDoIt. It was sometime last week I believe. He was using a smurf account named TiersG, because he was ranking his G up through platinum at the time (where I'm at). I only won the first game, he bopped me the next two.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Oh, fantastic writing, OP!

I loved the part of how you discovered and how's been your experience with this series. And yes, I read it all. And yes, I rather read than watching a video.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
GG.

I hear you. SFV is a big transition and it has more "story" than ever. I hope they can reign it in a bit in the future. The story modes mean so little to the players and it doesn't bring the mortal kombat sales anyhow.

Aug 9, 2018
I loved the arcade mode and that rpg type mode in SF Alpha 3 on PlayStation. WantWa cg animated cutscenes, but we still got cut scenes. Certain characters had different openings in they were matched up with certain characters, eg: ryu and Ken would bump fists before the match started.

So much story and lore in that game.

As far as online .sfV pisses me off. I tried playing with s group on here, but voice chat isn't supported at all. Any PlayStation game I've played I can talk to ppl I'm playing with, or at least my voice will come over the speakers. Not SFV. Then try to send a party invite, nope, when you click on a name it gives a you the Capcom fighter ID. The PC crowd does not understand this clusterfuck. If I wanted to fight ppl in silence I could just play the CPU.

Hmmmm rant over... Guess I'm still a bit heated

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the arcade mode and that rpg type mode in SF Alpha 3 on PlayStation. WantWa cg animated cutscenes, but we still got cut scenes. Certain characters had different openings in they were matched up with certain characters, eg: ryu and Ken would bump fists before the match started.

So much story and lore in that game.

As far as online .sfV pisses me off. I tried playing with s group on here, but voice chat isn't supported at all. Any PlayStation game I've played I can talk to ppl I'm playing with, or at least my voice will come over the speakers. Not SFV. Then try to send a party invite, nope, when you click on a name it gives a you the Capcom fighter ID. The PC crowd does not understand this clusterfuck. If I wanted to fight ppl in silence I could just play the CPU.

Hmmmm rant over... Guess I'm still a bit heated
You could have just used the same Discord we were in to get around that though. Obviously it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Loved reading this. Street Fighter definitely has a lot of interesting stories to tell

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
excellent thread. i have a weird relationship with Street Fighter as i never really liked fighting games (still dont) but something about the characters, the world, the (at least current) aesthetic, and the real life subcultural narrative that surrounds it (and other fighting games to an extent) is so fascinating and awesome.

(also pls give me an action-adventure semi open world beat-em-up starring Ryu ala Shaolin Monks already godamm)

Aug 9, 2018
You could have just used the same Discord we were in to get around that though. Obviously it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

In that situation I couldn't .I have a baby. So playing with a headset on. Assuming I can use discord voice through a cell phone (ive never tried), I wouldn't be and to hear the game. It's an incredibly dumb oversight.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this thread sure beats the fuck out of my "This is bison" street fighter lore summarization.

Yo, I loved "This is bison." It actually helped me wrap my head around the whole Bison Clone Club. I would not be surprised if the creators of Orphan Black turned out to be Bison mains.

The pre and post match interactions seen during Alpha 3's arcade mode are something I would love to see return. They were a brilliant way to communicate character and relationship without interrupting the flow of the game. I also think the World Tour mode was super fun. Pair that idea with the intentionally broken "Omega Mode" characters from USFIV, and you could give players lots of incentive to grind and new toys to play casual matches with.

While the Alpha games are where I believe the Street Fighter story really goes off rails, the presentation and fun factor of Alpha 3's single player was off the charts.

(also pls give me an action-adventure semi open world beat-em-up starring Ryu ala Shaolin Monks already godamm)

The Street Fighter universe includes a seminal beat'em up series in Final Fight, but Capcom refuses to give us Street Fighter beat'em ups. It's so obvious (though I fear the premises they would come up with to justify Street Fighter characters beating up anonymous baddies).

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Great read. I concur with the narrative and story of Street Fighter to be gripping. I played the fuck out of Alpha 3 on Dreamcast as a kid, trying to understand all of the SF lore and wonder where the story would go. I was disappointed that 5 didn't take place after 3, and I was still holding out hope for a time skip of sorts after one of the seasons.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible post, OP. Street Fighter - and fighting games in general - seem to carry this metanarrative too. And those stories of how you started playing are just like mine.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible post, OP. Street Fighter - and fighting games in general - seem to carry this metanarrative too. And those stories of how you started playing are just like mine.

Every fighting game has the potential to be as self-referential as Street Fighter, because we interact with them in the same way. The FGC at large is practically a community of 'World Warriors.' Too many fighting games throw away metanarration in favor of high-concept scenarios, however.

Not all of them do. The King of Fighters and Tekken achieve metanarration nearly as well as SF does, since they're based around titular tournaments. But like, I don't even think there are actual tournaments going on in the story of games like Mortal Kombat X or Guilty Gear Xrd. It's a plot device that many contemporary fighting games have abandoned, probably because it seems safe or played out. But in doing that, they also fail to mirror their player communities.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned in the OP that I take G's story at face value. Yeah, he has magical Earth powers (what Street Fighter doesn't have magical powers?), but he's basically a street performer and internets celebrity with a wacky president persona. In my mind, when the president bit gets worn out, he adopts another persona: Robot Detective Q.

So that's my read on it. Other people have gone full Da Vinci Code, tho. Like the anonymous creator of this image circulating on the FGC web...

bj687jbelqf11.jpg

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great read, JusDoIt . It is kinda funny that basic tournament setups for fighting game stories are 'quaint' in comparison to the wild shit we get now.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The funniest part to me is how much the Street Fighter team clearly loved all the adaptations from the 90's and pulled stuff from them constantly. Karin and Evil Ryu both originated in manga, and Gouken's design and Hadouken variant were taken from an April Fool's joke. Half of Alpha's style is taken from the anime movie, with Alpha 1 even having a Ryu and Ken vs. M. Bison secret battle to reenact the climax (complete with the movie's theme music in the Japanese version) and Alpha 2 having the grassy field from the movie's opening as a special stage. They even referencd the whole "Blanka is Charlie" thing that the cartoon used in a background easter egg in X-Men vs Street Fighter.

Oct 27, 2017
Great post, OP. I'm still occasionally up at night browsing Street Fighter wikis for lore, and it's fun how the lore intersects everyday lives of real life players.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Nice post.

Yes I don't know why the story isn't just 'Tournament held again by another evil rich guy' - essentially all these things are Enter The Dragon ripoffs. Each fighter can have demons to overcome each game which can have a snippet of dialogue, and an ending. It started getting iffy with Zero 2 retconning Zero 1, why, who would care? Just say it's another tournament.

But IMO like with everything, it all fell apart with Street Fighter IV and V. Setting it before III to cash in on nostalgia for II, cheap move, just like using 3D and being 'more accessible than III.

To be honest I always had the impression that Capcom's staff writers back in the day were, well, wannabe mangakas. (I say this with love.) They put in tons of references to manga and anime including straight lifting characters. But the weren't necessarily very good at storytelling. Capcom game stories were always kind of crackpot nonsense. Street Fighter's universe really exemplifies this.

I do wish actually that Street Fighter had stuck with the concept of "guerrilla martial arts tournament". It's cool in a grindhouse cinema way. It's vague enough for people to imagine all sorts of narratives happening within that context. It also would have complimented the SF cast so frequently having magic powers, mutations, or being total freaks of nature - these were people who stuck to the shadows and didn't want attention.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great read, JusDoIt . It is kinda funny that basic tournament setups for fighting game stories are 'quaint' in comparison to the wild shit we get now.

I think fighting games move away from the tournament setup because it's quaint, but it's so unnecessary. It's like if Nintendo started throwing Fast and the Furious type storylines into Mario Kart. Yeah, it would be hilarious, but the writers would have to jump through more hoops than the kart racers to keep it afloat.

This is astonishing. That's a legit textbook.

The funniest part to me is how much the Street Fighter team clearly loved all the adaptations from the 90's and pulled stuff from them constantly. Karin and Evil Ryu both originated in manga, and Gouken's design and Hadouken variant were taken from an April Fool's joke. Half of Alpha's style is taken from the anime movie, with Alpha 1 even having a Ryu and Ken vs. M. Bison secret battle to reenact the climax (complete with the movie's theme music in the Japanese version) and Alpha 2 having the grassy field from the movie's opening as a special stage. They even referencd the whole "Blanka is Charlie" thing that the cartoon used in a background easter egg in X-Men vs Street Fighter.

On one hand, I can't blame them. The anime was so stylish and hype when it came out, so it makes sense that the SF team would try to capture that intensity in game. I can blame them for not know their weaknesses as writers or the limitations of the fighting game medium for telling story, though. Take that anime style, by all means, but leave the plots alone.

Each fighter can have demons to overcome each game which can have a snippet of dialogue, and an ending.

This is what makes sports so compelling. We come to know the personal histories and struggles of athletes, so their triumphs and failures mean something to us. It's also why the triumphs and failures of pros in the FGC are often so gripping. This is all Street Fighter needs.

I do wish actually that Street Fighter had stuck with the concept of "guerrilla martial arts tournament". It's cool in a grindhouse cinema way. It's vague enough for people to imagine all sorts of narratives happening within that context. It also would have complimented the SF cast so frequently having magic powers, mutations, or being total freaks of nature - these were people who stuck to the shadows and didn't want attention.

Yo!! I wasn't thinking of it in exactly these terms, but Street Fighters remaining underground because they're outcasts and outlaws is so X-Men and so perfect AND would heighten the grassroots, "poverty" FGC metanarrative.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This was a great read, thanks OP.

This reminds me when you talked about G and Rashid for a bit, the criticism for SFs original character designs were always that they were all exaggerations of typical racial and cultural stereotypes.

However Rashid is a stereotype....but not the one you expect.

To me Rashid represents the typical millennial stereotype, always busy on his phone trolling social media or YT comments, very spunky and active....He's millennial man the fighter.

And it's nice to see how other charcters in the series have evolved with the passage of time instead of staying the same character for the next iterations.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But IMO like with everything, it all fell apart with Street Fighter IV and V. Setting it before III to cash in on nostalgia for II, cheap move, just like using 3D and being 'more accessible than III.

Agreed. Starting with IV I just can't care about the story anymore since half of it is just jokes or repeats of the same events to barely change the status quo. For example Guile used to have a simple but nice character arc ending with him retiring from fighting, but now he just returns to fighting after retiring (and worse, Charlie literally comes back from the death...). Bison just won't die, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I think you aptly explained how story telling works best in this medium.Breath of the Wild has a great story, but none of it is in the cutscenes. It's everything else.

I feel the same around SFV matches

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great read, thanks OP.

This reminds me when you talked about G and Rashid for a bit, the criticism for SFs original character designs were always that they were all exaggerations of typical racial and cultural stereotypes.

However Rashid is a stereotype....but not the one you expect.

To me Rashid represents the typical millennial stereotype, always busy on his phone trolling social media or YT comments, very spunky and active....He's millennial man the fighter.

And it's nice to see how other charcters in the series have evolved with the passage of time instead of staying the same character for the next iterations.

In terms of character development, I tend to like where Street Fighter is going. Rashid the millennial superhero, Balrog's fatherly turn, Zeku being reimagined as a ladies man and ninja hustler, Cody trying to turn his life around and take on responsibilities, Juri revealing herself as a more chaotic neutral antihero. All great stuff.

Where SF struggles is in trying to find motivations for this cast to interact, when the answer is right there in the title. They're Street Fighters.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The 1999 Street Fighter Alpha OVA is the absolute best piece of SF-related narrative media.

I get why you say that. It's very entertaining. It's well written and animated. It's epic. But should the scale of Street Fighter be epic? I'm not so sure. Look at the trailer for the OVA. It's basically Star Wars in tone and theme:

That bears no resemblance to the player's relationship with the game, and I think that presents a missed opportunity.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The mobile game Clash Royale has professional sports aspirations. You can see the narrative they imagine in the Clash Royale League launch trailer:

In reverse chronological order we (the player) install the game, beat friends in local matches, get salty losing online, rack up a series of wins, tryout for a pro team, sign a contract, move into a gaming house, fly to tournaments, make it to grand finals, give out autographs, and become the champion. Clash Royale doesn't offer a story—nobody knows why Red King and Blue King are having their contest and nobody cares—but it knows its longevity depends on players providing their stories.

The Verge recently covered Clash Royale League:

Patrick "Chief Pat" Carney, who founded the mobile-focused e-sports team Tribe Gaming which is part of the North American league, says that he's "extremely optimistic" about the potential for the Clash Royale League to be a breakout hit, particularly for Western audiences. "The recipe is in place," he explains. "The game is phenomenal and born to be an e-sports title; the player base is massive; the developers, teams, and players are fully committed; and the storylines and narratives are epic."

For Supercell, the league is just one part of an ambitious plan. CEO Paananen says that he wants the studio to create experiences that last for many years — and he believes e-sports are an integral component to that longevity. "We want to create games that people play for decades, and games that will be remembered forever," he says. "And for a competitive game like Clash Royale, it feels obvious that e-sports must play a role in that."
https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/17/17699106/clash-royale-league-supercell-esports

I think this approach is safe, even if it's artificial and only meant to cash in on the burgeoning e-sports industry. You can't go wrong keeping the in-game narrative minimal and letting the competition tell the story.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you have Overwatch. OW already has iconic characters, thanks to Disney-worthy designs, well-received animated shorts, and digital comics. The foundation for an Overwatch Cinematic Universe is laid if they want to go there. The Overwatch League is a big success too. But the narrative experience of Overwatch and the competitive experience of Overwatch do not seem to correspond to each other at all. Not that this is a problem. Mr. Blizzard can take Scrooge McDuck baths in Overwatch money, even if he can't explain why Tracer and Widowmaker would be on a team against Moira and Winston.

Street Fighter doesn't really sit between these extremes in narration. It has the chump-to-champ player arcs Clash Royale is thirsty for and the cosplayable cast like Overwatch. But the synergy between the diegetic and non-diegetic experiences of Street Fighter is what sets it apart.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no manga/anime aficionado, but this essay on Grappler Baki is very relevant:

The series is as over the top and wacky as Street Fighter gets (if not more), and it's as old as Street Fighter II (it started in 1991), but it stays contained by focusing on fighting as a pursuit and allowing all characters to be sympathetic and layered. Simple plot, complicated characters. It's a perfect role model for Street Fighter's story. Street Fighter can maintain its high octane spectacle and still reflect the player narratives without necessarily resorting to minimalist storytelling.

Dec 6, 2017
US
This is a sick OP, kudos to that research.

Sadly, despite playing Street Fighter since the SNES days my knowledge of it seems so fucking poor that I got last halfway through reading it. I need to touch up on this.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I work in the video field. If you'd like some pointers feel free to hit me up via PM.

Thanks, yo. If I get bit by the essay bug again, I might just do that. I still think this would have been better as a video.

This is a sick OP, kudos to that research.

Sadly, despite playing Street Fighter since the SNES days my knowledge of it seems so fucking poor that I got last halfway through reading it. I need to touch up on this.

That's my fault. I was trying to walk the fine line assuming people were familiar with SF and the scene while giving enough background to fill in casual fans.

I think I erred on the side of inside baseball.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you can get beyond the Buzzfeedy style, this compares the action figured up live action flick to the more faithful animated movie. I believe both contributed to Street Fighter's narrative getting convoluted, but agree that the live action version's campy James Bond approach was the bigger mistake.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
JusDoIt this is an amazing thread! Like hot damn man I hope you can get together with Doof angle and turn this into a video essay as well. More people need to read the fire you put into this thread.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
JusDoIt this is an amazing thread! Like hot damn man I hope you can get together with Doof angle and turn this into a video essay as well. More people need to read the fire you put into this thread.

Thanks! I didn't think I had much more to say for a video essay on the topic, but I keep coming across new material so it's something I'll give more thought.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
*Vigorous applause*

Fantastic read, OP. Agree with a lot of what you said.

One of my best memories is binging on Street Fighter lore with my little bro when we were both still in school. I just bought all the games, all the movies, and then we topped it all off with Assassin's Fist, which is one of the best game to live action adaptations I've ever seen.

I was really disappointed with SFV's goofy ass story that used its characters super poorly. Nash barely did a damn thing despite being the highlight of the game's marketing, and a long-awaited tease. I love SFV as a game, but the story left me salty.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of my best memories is binging on Street Fighter lore with my little bro when we were both still in school. I just bought all the games, all the movies, and then we topped it all off with Assassin's Fist, which is one of the best game to live action adaptations I've ever seen.

I didn't touch on Assassin's Fist, but I agree that it's one of the best examples of Street Fighter fiction. It succeeds because it tells a contained story, focusing entirely on the ansatsuken saga and the characters involved. It also stays true to our relationship with the games because it's mainly concerned with their lives as fighters. They kept it simple.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

The video analyzes how B.B. Hood's animations in Darkstalkers convey her character and tell a story in each match. It's worth watching in general, but I include it here because it highlights a strength of fighting games that is taken for granted in this age of cinematic story modes.

I've argued in this thread that the story of Street Fighter should stick close to the player experience of Street Fighter, but this breakdown supports a more radical argument that I didn't really dare to make: the story of Street Fighter should be contained in the matches themselves. Let the animations and mechanics reveal who these characters are and let us fill in the blanks with our imaginations.