Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My understanding was that the FTC and CMA were coordinating and it's in the best interest of the CMA and their case that the FTC stall. The FTC doesn't stand a chance in court so they were stalling and the CMA was happy to not be the only one that didn't approve the deal. By the FTC filing the injunction they sped up the situation where the CMA is left as the only regulator blocking the deal.

I don't think it was ever proven they're co-ordinating.

Deleted member 133522

Mar 20, 2023
My understanding was that the FTC and CMA were coordinating and it's in the best interest of the CMA and their case that the FTC stall. The FTC doesn't stand a chance in court so they were stalling and the CMA was happy to not be the only one that didn't approve the deal. By the FTC filing the injunction they sped up the situation where the CMA is left as the only regulator blocking the deal.
if they fail to get the preliminary injunction and FTC drops

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
To play the ball for a moment, Microsoft's route to closure may not be the same as Microsoft's route to successful appeal. We know they've asked lawyers to look into how to close without successful appeal. So maybe they're very confident they'll win on appeals and not have to deal with that stuff - or an unwind if it failed - or maybe they're not very confident about the appeals but want to try to close anyway and deal with side stepping the need to successful appeal via these other routes.

But my point is, merely, none of that is any more incredible than the idea that the FTC has thrown themselves into this situation because they weren't happy with the CMA's case hearings. IMO it's way too premature for anyone to be doing any such drastic moves based on how the CMA process is going, when it's barely gotten going, so I was addressing the idea of this being a read on the CMA process with some counter questions. Again though, I don't actually think any of this has anything to do with the CMA process specifically or how it's played out so far.

Events have rather taken over - the FTC is filing an injunction to block the deal.
I don't think the injunction affects the CMA case either, but if by chance it does since, we've already heard the judge's opinion on the matter, I'd almost think it as a negative. If the FTC was trying to influence the CAT, this is definitely not the way.

FTC going with the desperate option because they think MS is going with the nuclear option
Fixed.

Deleted member 133522

Mar 20, 2023
As much as I personally don't wish for it to happen, it's important to remember there's always the chance the FTC does get the preliminary injunction. It isn't a sure thing for it to fail.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
I've just seen the news about the injunction on Twitter.

What in the hell happened in the last 24 hours for the FTC to trigger what is basically the last resort move? Bruh this ride is never ending.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
so apparently the FTC is trying to get an injunction that lasts only to their in house trial

would any judge ever go for that? that seems like an abuse of process.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the injunction effects the CMA case either, but if by chance it does since, we've already heard the judge's opinion on the matter, I'd almost think it as a negative. If the FTC was trying to influence the CAT, this is definitely not the way.

To the extent the CAT was interested in the status of the case in the US, it's no longer relevant - i.e. to the question of the UK case trying for a compressed timeline or not, which the CAT's already decided on. So yeah I don't think they'll care about it.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This season's twists and turns are better than ever. Those script writers should get a raise.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
so apparently the FTC is trying to get an injunction that lasts only to their in house trial

would any judge ever go for that? that seems like an abuse of process.
I mean even liberal SCOTUS judges are getting wary of these type of moves. There is regulating and then there is just playing games but with power behind it.

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
So their doing this tomorrow morning? Wonder how many days it takes for the judge to make a verdict.

cowboi

Dec 31, 2021
Has there been any statement from Microsoft yet? I'm assuming we'll get "we welcome this move by FTC" kinda press release.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any statement from Microsoft yet? I'm assuming we'll get "we welcome this move by FTC" kinda press release.

"We welcome the opportunity to present our case in federal court," Microsoft President Brad Smith said. "We believe accelerating the legal process in the U.S will ultimately bring more choice and competition to the market."

www.cnbc.com

FTC will try to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard

The FTC had already sued to block the $68.7 billion acquisition, choosing to bring the case before its internal administrative law judge.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What the big question is, is why the hell would the FTC play this card when everything was currently going according to plan. Microsoft was forced into a decision of extend it or drop it, everything was scheduled to go through their Administrative Court, which rules in favour of them most of the time, and who they can override if they dont like their decision, and they had all the time in the world to delay delay delay.

So why would they play this card now and now not say closer to the completion of the UK's CAT? Or hell, even after CAT since it would be unlikely that CAT completely overturns everything instead of just sending it back to the CMA?

Why would the FTC pick this fight earlier than they had to? If it happens, Its incredibly suspect.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

There's a comment in the CNBC article, and yeah, it's basically that:

"Microsoft told CNBC it would welcome the injunction as it would bring the case before a federal judge faster."

edit - And DopeyFish has a better comment above ^

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Man, this saga has been some of the juiciest stuff in Gaming in a long while. Just crazy the twists and turns it's gone through.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
www.bloomberg.com

FTC Will Seek to Keep Microsoft From Closing Activision Deal

The Federal Trade Commission plans to sue Microsoft Corp. in federal court Monday to block the company from closing its $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard Inc, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The Federal Trade Commission plans to sue Microsoft Corp. in federal court Monday to block the company from closing its $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard Inc, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The FTC plans to seek a court order blocking the transaction until the agency's in-house court has a chance to rule on the deal, according to the person, who asked not to be named discussing the agency's plans. A trial before the agency's court is scheduled to begin in August.

It also feels like ABK could be putting some pressure on MS to close suddenly in the US.

Daramir

Jan 20, 2022
Germany
"We welcome the opportunity to present our case in federal court," Microsoft President Brad Smith said. "We believe accelerating the legal process in the U.S will ultimately bring more choice and competition to the market."

www.cnbc.com

The FTC had already sued to block the $68.7 billion acquisition, choosing to bring the case before its internal administrative law judge.
Lol, Smith giggling silently

cowboi

Dec 31, 2021
There's a comment in the CNBC article, and yeah, it's basically that:

"Microsoft told CNBC it would welcome the injunction as it would bring the case before a federal judge faster."

edit - And DopeyFish has a better comment above ^

www.cnbc.com

Expected it, but cool to get confirmation.

I hope the injunction gets obliterated lol. Then would only be the CMA alone, and I have no doubt if they remain the sole jurisdiction blocking the deal, $MSFT will close over and be prepared to battle it for the next 10 years. xD

Theonlytman2

Jan 16, 2023
What the big question is, is why the hell would the FTC play this card when everything was currently going according to plan. Microsoft was forced into a decision of extend it or drop it, everything was scheduled to go through their Administrative Court, which rules in favour of them most of the time, and who they can override if they dont like their decision, and they had all the time in the world to delay delay delay.

So why would they play this card now and now not say closer to the completion of the UK's CAT? Or hell, even after CAT since it would be unlikely that CAT completely overturns everything instead of just sending it back to the CMA?

Why would the FTC pick this fight earlier than they had to? If it happens, Its incredibly suspect.
This looks like the FTC is panicked over MLex reports, and as a result, they want to file injunction as a delay tactic to prevent Microsoft from closing the deal in their current expiration date. It's also possible that they are not impressed by the CMA potentially not being able to stop the deal completely, so they'll take matters in their own hands to try to give points and moral victories for Lina Khan by "standing up to big tech". Overall, their operations are just very paranoid and I don't think they are acting professional. Even if they get their requested injunction, the court rulings are favorable to Microsoft's end.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It also feels like ABK could be putting some pressure on MS to close suddenly in the US.
What does that materially mean though?

Like...ABK saying, if you don't at least try to close, and the deal terminates, we'll use that as a 'at fault' thing to get money out of you? But don't they get their termination fee regardless of how the deal terminates in this case?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
So the CMA might not be able to use "we're not the only regulator, even the parties home country, the US, is blocking it!"

Daramir

Jan 20, 2022
Germany

Deleted member 133522

Mar 20, 2023
That's not accurate. They're doing it because it feels like they have to. History shows you why they're doing this, and how it goes for them when they do. They're a mere annoyance.

You're making assumptions without us yet knowing why they're taking this action when they are.

If Microsoft has actually signalled to them they're attempting to close, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

In any case, I don't think there's grounds to state this is 100% going to fail. Highly likely to fail, sure. And this is what I've seen most experts state. But saying it's a 100% certainty is not what I've seen most experts express.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
You're making assumptions without us yet knowing why they're taking this action when they are.

If Microsoft has actually signalled to them they're attempting to close, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

In any case, I don't think there's grounds to state this is 100% going to fail. Highly likely to fail, sure. And this is what I've seen most experts state. But saying it's a 100% certainty is not what I've seen most experts express.
Nothing's ever 100% certainty in court.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The FTC traditionally does rather poorly in blocking any form of consolidation/mergers, so I'm wondering what they are doing this time that'll make them feel like they'll succeed.