EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Haven't really been following the news. So let's say MS wins the FTC trial, will that change anything or are they still fucked because of the CMA ruling in Europe?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Isn't that a second-party game?

Second-party doesn't exist really.

Woah, lots of info.

Is this implying Activision wouldn't put COD on sale on the Xbox store due to Game Pass? I don't think this is a thing. Or is it because Game Pass already gives a discount to the games price?

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying, and I think all console exclusives are relatively anti consumers and hope one day soon all games are on all platforms like movies/music (for the most part) but this is a case to review a 2T American company's acquisition of one of the biggest publishers in the world (also American) so while yes, it's hypocritical to critique Microsoft and NOT Sony/Nintendo/Apple at the same time, this case is about Microsoft and the potential actions they could do as a result of this $69b investment.

Just because they're all wrong to have console exclusives and are all keeping their exclusive software away from consumers who don't have the means to more than one platform purchase, doesn't mean that all these cancel each other out because "everybody does it" imo

I never doubt Microsoft will find a way to pull this off, this is America and the rich (Kotick and co.) always get what they want

I wasn't highlighting the actual issues, I was explaining what I expect the testimony to sound like. What I expect to hear. The fact that Sony does this and worse is not really relevant, but I do think it's funny or noteworthy that someone from the outside the issues might think that's what it's about. Because that's gonna get a lot of attention, and it had yesterday.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Second-party doesn't exist really.

Woah, lots of info.

Is this implying Activision wouldn't put COD on sale on the Xbox store due to Game Pass? I don't think this is a thing. Or is it because Game Pass already gives a discount to the games price?
No, I believe it implies people will buy less of Activision games on XBox because they would be available on gamepass

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

This second one is the most interesting to me. I'm trying to think of what Microsoft has been referring to, but all I can really think of is:

Windows Phone (and Zune) - Microsoft made a massive push into Mobile Phones (and MP3 Players) by using Xbox to try and force their way in. This is the last time I can rememeber Microsoft actually going all out by:
  • Demanding all of their in-house studios make Mobile Games (Halo Spartan Assault, Spartan Strike, ilomilo, Crackdown, Age of Empires, ect)
  • Funding/Publishing new Mobile Games and Ports from XBLA from third party and independent developers
  • In some small cases, publishing or investing heavily into some smaller developers for projects
The other thing I can think of, is they might be talking about Cloud Streaming. With them being blocked by Apple and Google every step of the way

Last edited:

Corrik

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2022
This second one is the most interesting to me. I'm trying to think of what Microsoft has been referring to, but all I can really think of is:

Windows Phone (and Zune) - Microsoft made a massive push into mobile Mobile Phones and Mobile MP3 Players by using Xbox to try and force their way in. This is the last time I can rememeber Microsoft actually going all out by:
  • Demanding all of their in-house studios make Mobile Games (Halo Spartan Assault, Spartan Strike, ilomilo, Crackdown, Age of Empires, ect)
  • Funding/Publishing new Mobile Games and Ports from XBLA from third party and independent developers
  • In some small cases, publishing or investing heavily into some smaller developers for projects
The other thing I can think of, is they might be talking about Cloud Streaming. With them being blocked by Apple and Google every step of the way
They tried Gears Pop!

Jun 25, 2022
It is fascinating to me how much focus there is here on mobile. At this point, you are literally better off going to the nearby gambling den, and flipping a coin 50-50 on that exact amount of money you would spend to make a mobile game. It is faster to do that and fail than to see a team build a game only to get lost among the 89097458769821387498123749801231298317443292435 games that release on the same day and end up dismissing the team two months later.
I feel like the exact same could be said about live-service games.

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil
Hey, Idas! Could you make a quick links section at the top of the OT post reserved for the things that are happening now? Providing the link for the audio hearing and the Court Listener, for example. I think you said you have put the audio link in there, but there is so much text that I didn't find it (I got it on browser history).

wo1f-cola

May 3, 2023
It is fascinating to me how much focus there is here on mobile. At this point, you are literally better off going to the nearby gambling den, and flipping a coin 50-50 on that exact amount of money you would spend to make a mobile game. It is faster to do that and fail than to see a team build a game only to get lost among the 89097458769821387498123749801231298317443292435 games that release on the same day and end up dismissing the team two months later.
I think that's part of why the mobile angle in this deal is so appealing to MSFT. The mobile gaming market is huge, and the EU is now forcing mobile providers to allow side loading and bypassing the 30% revenue share to Android and Apple for native App Store sales, so it's about to be even more lucrative. Especially if other regulators follow the EU's lead on side loading.

I think the big picture idea is that if MSFT can snag some of the biggest mobile titles and put them in an Xbox storefront on mobile, then people are searching their Xbox App Store for new games, and there you're not competing with a gazillion other titles whenever users are looking for a new game. Sarah mentioned during her testimony yesterday that Xbox is striving for Ubiquity across all platforms, so I could see MSFT eventually offering a Gamepass Mobile or something for a cheap cloud gaming subscription from mobile devices. It's going to be a shit experience for a lot of games, but there are plenty of titles that play just fine on XCloud. Any turn based RPG or strategy game I think makes a ton of sense to stream on a mobile device. I'd rather play Civ 6 via the cloud than natively on mobile where it's going to tank my battery.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Dipping back into this thread after being away for a bit.

Idk about that but it puts CMA on an island.

Has anyone expanded upon what the effect of the CMA being along in their decision is? Do people think it's more likely they change their decision at review if they're the only ones blocking? Or if there some kind of pressure people are expecting them to be under.

As a UK citizen I've been under the impression that the CMA is pretty untouchable, what about this case would weaken their power to stick by their decision?

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a seat at the table, you should open the zoom now. It has not started yet, but it just did the thing where you sorta login.

edit: link in threadmark, or a few posts below

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Has anyone expanded upon what the effect of the CMA being along in their decision is? Do people think it's more likely they change their decision at review if they're the only ones blocking? Or if there some kind of pressure people are expecting them to be under.

As a UK citizen I've been under the impression that the CMA is pretty untouchable, what about this case would weaken their power to stick by their decision?
AFAIK, most of the internet lawyers I'm following have confirmed that it is very likely the CMA will agree to remedies with Xbox if FTC doesn't block.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

It can really go either way. If Microsoft can prove the UK truly is an island here, then it does help them. But only to the extent of comnity with other nations. That said if the CMA didn't care, they could still block it by tweaking the decision a little more to make it sound more UK Centric.

If you want a seat at the table, you should open the zoom now. It has not started yet, but it just did the thing where you sorta login.

Assuming it hasn't changed, here is yesterdays link: Zoom

Corrik

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2022

Comity is a grounds to say their block was irrational. They are supposed to understand their place in the international community in regards to international mergers with their findings and remedies.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
they're about to do the demo they did with the CMA or whatever of busting out what a Switch looks like and how a PS5 works lolol

Phil Spencer will be playing FFXVI in the court room

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
That was just a small game made by one MS dev if I recall (and not a MGS dev). He eventually left his role to focus on Wordament full time as well, and possibly built a team around it.

It's still around as well and I play it occasionally. Outside of the ads that are unfortunately part of the current mobile landscape and MS Casual Games platform, it still plays well.