Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The most interesting piece of that nasdaq index is that they've been on it since 2005. That would be on hell of a coincidence if they just left it now of all times in all those years
Inside me there are two wolves:
The one who thinks they're getting removed because they're about to be delisted after closing the deal and
the one who thinks they're getting removed so the plunge in $ATVI stock after the deal fails doesn't effect affect the overall index.
giphy.gif

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
when is the FTC appeal hearing? Can we listen to it?

Nobody knows. The 9th Circuit had a huge case load, being both geographically large and containing California, where there's a lot of cases. It will be literal months before the Court would hear this.

The more immediate thing is "will the Court rule on a TRO extension?"--IE: will the court decide to put a hold on the merger until they decide the case. At this point, given how things generally go, they just won't have time. The current TRO expires Friday. The FTC needs to ask for an extension and MS needs to ve given the opportunity to write a response. There's no guarantee that the 9th Circuit will rush to deal with the request (or that they will grant it). Assuming MS and ATVI have things lined up, they likely can merge before the Court decides the point.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The more immediate thing is "will the Court rule on a TRO extension?"--IE: will the court decide to put a hold on the merger until they decide the case. At this point, given how things generally go, they just won't have time.
Agreed, provided they manage to work something out with the CMA. Which I'm still very skeptical about.

Also wanted to say thanks for your insight on stock markets today. I know about law but nothing about the markets, so I've appreciated learning from your posts.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody knows. The 9th Circuit had a huge case load, being both geographically large and containing California, where there's a lot of cases. It will be literal months before the Court would hear this.

The more immediate thing is "will the Court rule on a TRO extension?"--IE: will the court decide to put a hold on the merger until they decide the case. At this point, given how things generally go, they just won't have time. The current TRO expires Friday. The FTC needs to ask for an extension and MS needs to ve given the opportunity to write a response. There's no guarantee that the 9th Circuit will rush to deal with the request (or that they will grant it). Assuming MS and ATVI have things lined up, they likely can merge before the Court decides the point.
And if the merger does happen, the appeal will be dismissed since it was just about stopping the merger, not stopping the FTC from moving with an anti-trust investigation. So now the FTC has to decide if they want to do this ALJ pony show or not, which 100% would be a waste of time as the only way to unwind this post-merger will be a new case in Federal Court (and unwinding this is extremely unlikely to be frank...)

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
They just look over the arguments that were presented in think.

Essentially yes. An Appeal is generally never a place for new evidence. The FTC as appellant will write a memorandum of law, arguing that Corley either misinterpreted the law or her read of the facts was literally irrational (on appeal, the appellate Court reviews the law independently of the lower court, but gives deference to their interpretation of fact). Microsoft will write a response memo. The FTC might get its reply to MS's response, et cetera.

Most appellate cases, especially a case this big will have an oral argument. This is NOT a hearing or trial. No witnesses will be called. The judges (appeals are heard by 3-judge panels) will listen to the attorneys and ask questions of them, sorta like how Corley opened up on the FTC during closing.

Then they take a matter of weeks or months to write up their decision.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
You think they are gonna wait for the UK?
I can't see them closing over CMA. It would be unlawful, and they'd face a huge fine and reputational damage. Regulators wouldn't trust them in future.

The only way I see it closing in the next few days is with CMA consent. They've clearly been in talks for a while now.

What we don't know is how far they've got in reaching a solution. I don't see CMA saying "OK go ahead and close and then we'll work it out later." They've blocked the deal, they aren't letting it through without structural changes.

We can say with some degree of certainty that MS wouldn't have agreed to pause CAT proceedings if they didn't think there was a viable way forward with CMA.

CMA of course loses nothing by agreeing to pause, because they wanted a delay anyway. It's also highly unusual for CMA to take this step.

So both sides can likely see some sort of way forward. But I'm skeptical they can sort it all out by Tuesday.

ABK delisted from Nasdaq? FAQs and more

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Idas Threadmark please.

Wrt "Nasdaq delisting".

The stock is not being delisted (yet?). On Monday, ATVI leaves the Nasdaq 100, to be replaced with Trade Desk.

What does the delisting from the Nasdaq 100 mean?

Funds, pensions, individuals, all commonly buy into ETF's, and all the boats in that fund benefit from that liquidity and buying pressure. Note that Trade Desk has been +5% to +6% all day so far, for that reason. If this merger weren't happening, ATVI would likely be down a similar amount.

Was this instigated by the exchange or by ATVI?

It doesn't make sense that it's the exchange choosing this. ATVI is far from the lowest market cap in the 100. It's double the market cap of EA for example. The exchange already has a scheduled rebalance in a week, and this is separate from that. The leaving date is also before the deal deadline date. Anything could theoretically happen next week, including the deal collapsing, ABK walking away any time after the 18th, etc. There is no reason I can think of for the exchange to jump the gun.

-----------

EDIT hours later:

Barron's writer speculates it's Nasdaq deciding the merger is "highly probable" and therefore removing ATVI.

-----------

I also cannot think of why Kotick would choose this... unless the deal is being closed. See the first point above about liquidity.

What is significant about the 17th?

It's the first day after the FTC's TRO expires.

Are they closing over the CMA?

Maybe, but I doubt it. That would likely mean a fine of billions. I suspect they've come to an agreement with the CMA to close the deal, perhaps excluding the UK.

Last night, LuLu said "the 39 countries where the merger can close."

View: https://twitter.com/lulumeservey/status/1679279055613448195

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, provided they manage to work something out with the CMA. Which I'm still very skeptical about.

Also wanted to say thanks for your insight on stock markets today. I know about law but nothing about the markets, so I've appreciated learning from your posts.

Maybe they do a midnight close on Saturday and do a lot of work to disrupt Activision structure before the CMA fine and order comes down on monday

The judge really gave Microsoft a near best case scenario if they wanted to protect their acquisition from the CMA

So while closing over is technically unlawful, the changes they would have made would not be because Microsoft can legally own Activision in the USA so they have a little buffer time

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Idas Threadmark please.

Wrt "Nasdaq delisting".

The stock is not being delisted (yet?). On Monday, ATVI leaves the Nasdaq 100, to be replaced with Trade Desk.

Funds, pensions, individuals, all commonly buy into ETF's, and all the boats in that fund benefit from that liquidity and buying pressure. Note that Trade Desk has been +5% to +6% all day so far, for that reason. If this merger weren't happening, ATVI would likely be down a similar amount.

It doesn't make sense that it's the exchange choosing this. ATVI is far from the lowest market cap in the 100. It's double the market cap of EA for example. The exchange already has a scheduled rebalance in a week, and this is separate from that. The leaving date is also before the deal deadline date. Anything could theoretically happen next week, including the deal collapsing, ABK walking away any time after the 18th, etc. There is no reason I can think of for the exchange to jump the gun.

Maybe, but I doubt it. That would likely mean a fine of billions. I suspect they've come to an agreement with the CMA to close the deal, perhaps excluding the UK.

Also thank you too for your posts on listings and the markets. Really insightful and informative.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see them closing over CMA. It would be unlawful, and they'd face a huge fine and reputational damage. Regulators wouldn't trust them in future.

The only way I see it closing in the next few days is with CMA consent. They've clearly been in talks for a while now.

What we don't know is how far they've got in reaching a solution. I don't see CMA saying "OK go ahead and close and then we'll work it out later." They've blocked the deal, they aren't letting it through without structural changes.

We can say with some degree of certainty that MS wouldn't have agreed to pause CAT proceedings if they didn't think there was a viable way forward with CMA.

CMA of course loses nothing by agreeing to pause, because they wanted a delay anyway. It's also highly unusual for CMA to take this step.

So both sides can likely see some sort of way forward. But I'm skeptical they can sort it all out by Tuesday.
I personally think something has been worked out due to the silence and the smoke from the delisting, but even if there wasn't a deal, if Microsoft on their own closed everywhere BUT the UK by some setup, which is in defiance of the "global order", it would require the CMA to go to court to make the case they can execute fines on business dealings outside the UK which would be an interesting Court case I'm sure.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Maybe they do a midnight close on Saturday and do a lot of work to disrupt Activision structure before the CMA fine and order comes down on monday

The judge really gave Microsoft a near best case scenario if they wanted to protect their acquisition from the CMA
The fine wouldn't come on Monday even if they did close on Saturday. I could be wrong, because this merger saga has had more twists than Shyamalan's entire oeuvre. But having agreed a truce with CMA, MS isn't going to close unless CMA gives them the nod.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
If someone wants to read about the Amazon/iRobot case, the new CMA - EC divergence and the connections to the MS/ABK case, a good article:

theplatformlaw.blog

Amazon/iRobot: Does Amazon have an incentive to preference its own products? - The Platform Law Blog

Amazon’s acquisition of the iRobot for $1.7 billion has now been cleared by the UK Competition and Markets Authority at Phase 1, and referred for an in-depth investigation by the European Commission. We therefore have another case of diverging outcomes between London and Brussels. So what’s...

So much of the commentary recently has been about the CMA having appointed itself at the world's merger control policeman by blocking foreign-to-foreign (normally US-to-US) mergers such as Microsoft/Activision, Meta/Giphy and Illumina/PacBio. The Amazon/iRobot case paints a different picture as it is the Commission who is acting more aggressively towards the deal (and note that the Commission also issued a huge fine to Illumina this week). It also suggests that it is the Commission who is more interested in analysing Amazon's flywheel business model, despite it being the CMA which updated its merger assessment guidelines to focus on such ecosystem theories of harm.

In Microsoft/Activision, the two agencies eventually agreed on the competition issues arising from the merger. They disagreed on whether a complex behavioural remedy was an effective solution to those issues. We can argue about who was right, but it is at least a valid and logical policy difference, based in part on the differing legal frameworks. The Amazon/iRobot case is different. In this case, the two authorities disagree on whether there is a plausible vertical theory of harm that rests on whether Amazon has the incentive to disadvantage rival companies' products. This is not a policy difference, but a difference in the substantive assessment. They should have been applying an identical analytical framework to an identical set of facts.

I have heard conspiracy theories that the CMA is reacting to the political heat after blocking Microsoft/Activision by performatively clearing Amazon's deal at Phase 1. After all, the CMA didn't need to call in the merger at all if it didn't believe the partial foreclosure story, after spending the best part of a year in pre-notification. More likely, they simply decided that the small RVC market was not important enough for an expensive Phase 2 investigation. Unfortunately, we are left with a superficial analysis of Amazon's incentives as a result, which seems to ignore the CMA's previous stance towards digital ecosystems and which will be unhelpful when the Digital Markets Unit considers Amazon's designation under the new Digital Markets, Competition and Consumers Bill. We also have an endorsement of Amazon's approach to acquisitions – unlike Microsoft, Amazon continues to buy smaller companies and reduces the merger control scrutiny it receives as a result.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I personally think something has been worked out due to the silence and the smoke from the delisting, but even if there wasn't a deal, if Microsoft on their own closed everywhere BUT the UK by some setup, which is in defiance of the "global order", it would require the CMA to go to court to make the case they can execute fines on business dealings outside the UK which would be an interesting Court case I'm sure.
How would they close "everywhere BUT the UK"? I'm open to ideas but I don't see how that's realistically possible. ABK has operations in UK. They can't feasibly or practicably acquire every other part of ABK but leave the UK part for later. Outside of some kind of wildly impractical and complex ringfencing.

Jun 8, 2018

Thank you both for your analyses! This is very stimulating because I was heavy into debate in college. This stuff is taking me back 😅

MuricaBob

Jun 28, 2023
I agree w/ Sheepinator. Lulu's wording on "the 39 countries where the merger can close" hints that they've worked something out with the CMA regarding countries beyond the UK.

Is there a way to know if the Interim Order blocking MS from acquiring any part of ABK has been amended? The CMA stated yesterday that they may need a new merger case and that the prior Final report still applies until then. However, the final report wasn't stopping the merger in other countries, the interim order was (i believe).

Also, if the UK starts a new merger case then wouldn't the CMA be able to consider remedies and events that happened after April 26? Like the EU approval, FTC denial, FTC trial information, other global approvals, and 10 year agreements? it's seems that this new evidence would be the new baseline if they get to reset the clock for a 2nd investigation.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
How would they close "everywhere BUT the UK"? I'm open to ideas but I don't see how that's even vaguely possible. ABK has operations on UK. They can't feasibly or practicably acquire every other part of ABK but leave the UK part for later.
Who knows and it may be novel. Could be that Activision still exists, but is HQed in London for example with Kotick as CEO. Microsoft just suddenly owns all of their overseas assets and IPs, with Activision "UK" having full license to all old IPs within the UK.

I mean even with the CMA's blessing they have to do something like this...

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I actually don't think Lulu's wording is that surprising. The FTC hasn't "approved" the deal but they cannot block it (right now) so the right terminology would be "countries where the deal can go through" not "countries where it's been approved".

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Idas Threadmark please.

Wrt "Nasdaq delisting".

I also cannot think of why Kotick would choose this... unless the deal is being closed. See the first point above about liquidity.

One of the very best posts in this entire thread. Thanks for this.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people changed their votes lol.

I don't remember what it was early yesterday but there were certainly more people in the Aug/Sept/Oct camp :P

OG team 18th here.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The performativeness is enough to drive you insane. Republicans being allowed to control the narrative to the degree they're able to and benefitting from right-wing grievance politics and hyperbolic fearmongering is so overwhelming it's ruined how the government actually should function and despite the Democrats best efforts to stay above the fray, it's something that's too easily drowned out by all the noise.

I feel like my original post was a little aggressive and that was directed more towards those in this thread that are treating the hearing like a sports event and cheering about the FTC getting grilled so sorry if it came off that way.

No worries! We both agree 😄

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Who knows and it may be novel. Could be that Activision still exists, but is HQed in London for example with Kotick as CEO. Microsoft just suddenly owns all of their overseas assets and IPs, with Activision "UK" having full license to all old IPs within the UK.

I mean even with the CMA's blessing they have to do something like this...
Well yes, it would certainly be a novel solution at this stage in the game :)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If the FTC doesn't keep challenging these mergers and hoping for miracle victories the law will never turn in their favor. It's a calculated risk. I don't personally like it in this situation but if I were in her shoes I would appeal it as well. The FTC is the equivalent of being a bottom tier EPL team starting the match against City a man down. You don't stand a chance but a point bring you closer to safety so you try anyhow.

This isn't really true at all. The FTC has an enormous amount of power. It just so happens that no matter who is in control of the administration- that power is never used productively.

They don't even really need the law to change- they need to pursue cases where there's a probability of significant lessening of competition, penalize companies that use anti-competitive practices, and negotiate with companies that are willing to work within the spirit of competition. That's all they need to do, and they simply won't do it

Last edited:

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Idas Threadmark please.

Wrt "Nasdaq delisting".

Great post.

I guess my next question would be, what would closing everywhere except for the UK mean for UK and what would it mean for everywhere else?

For example: Diablo IV on Gamepass in the US but not in the UK?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
How would they close "everywhere BUT the UK"? I'm open to ideas but I don't see how that's even vaguely possible.

Gonna guess Microsoft will acquire Activision, Blizzard and King from the holding company and the Holding company remains with the UK parts

Though not sure if that can be done or not

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is there a way to know if the Interim Order blocking MS from acquiring any part of ABK has been amended? The CMA stated yesterday that they may need a new merger case and that the prior Final report still applies until then. However, the final report wasn't stopping the merger in other countries, the interim order was (i believe).
The interim order is a public document available, with all other such things, on the CMA website. If it were amended, the new version would also be published.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't really true at all. The FTC has an enormous amount of power. It just so happens that no matter who is in control of the administration- that power is never used productively.

They don't even really need the law to change- they need to pursue cases where there's a probability of significant lessening of competition penalize companies that use anti-competitive practices, and negotiate with companies that are willing to work within the spirit of competition. That's all they need to do, and they simply won't do it
I'll say it again: The FTC should be for pre-merger analysis with remedy discussions, recommendations of anti-trust to DoJ if need be, current marketplace rule enforcement, and post-merger market analysis with possible actions (like LiveNation!).

FTC should not be blocking with these ALJs (at least pre-merger)...leave that to the DoJ since they are also titled to do anti-trust enforcement.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
When do we find out the grounds for FTC's appeal?

Is that a slow process, anyone know?

If they want to beat the clock, probably last night. Alternatively this morning. Otherwise the opposing party won't have time to respond.

They don't even really need the law to change- they need to pursue cases where there's a probability of significant lessening of competition penalize companies that use anti-competitive practices, and negotiate with companies that are willing to work within the spirit of competition. That's all they need to do, and they simply won't do it

The law is not in their favor and hasn't been for decades. Any legal expert worth their salt agrees. (https://som.yale.edu/centers/thurman-arnold-project-at-yale/modern-antitrust-enforcement)

Yes, it is true that the FTC should focus on the easy cases, they can absolutely crush those but the ones they want to stop whether due to consolidation, potential reduction of competition or political desire to prevent consolidation they have struggled with.

Additionally their current strategy is not all bad.
www.skadden.com

Are the FTC and DOJ Losing Antitrust Battles but Gaining Ground? | Insights | Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP

While the FTC and the DOJ Antitrust Division have lost a number of recent cases, they have developed government-friendly case law they can rely on to expand their enforcement reach in future cases.

As someone who practices in this area, it's an uphill battle for the other side.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
america strikes back

meanwhile I'm still kinda expecting an update from the UK, before the 18th. With NASDAQGate being a thing I have to imagine they've come to some sort of agreement?

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Ok gamers how about this concession to the CMA for you.

The CMA will pass the deal. But gamers can no longer travel to New Zealand for every game launch

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
The CMA can't control countries outside their jurisdiction anyway, so not sure why people think they made a deal with the CMA to not operate in the UK? They can close regardless

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
america strikes back

meanwhile I'm still kinda expecting an update from the UK, before the 18th. With NASDAQGate being a thing I have to imagine they've come to some sort of agreement?
If closing on Monday or Tuesday is actually a possibility, I would expect some kind of notice from the CMA and MS about some agreement tomorrow or Monday morning. The interim order needs to be removed for MS to be able to close without being subject to fines and other penalties.

The CMA can't control countries outside their jurisdiction anyway, so not sure why people think they made a deal with the CMA? They can close regardless
Closing over the interim order from the CMA would invite fines and other penalties for MS. The pause request for the litigation through the CAT shows they're trying to work something out ahead of next week.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
america strikes back

I wonder if it'd be something like rescinding their final report and interim order while they do another investigation into the deal under a different agreement. This would allow them to close while the CMA can potentially order them to break up later. Microsoft argued in the FTC vs Microsoft-ABK case that they usually keep businesses separate so if the FTC wanted to break them up later, they could. Wonder if there's something similar here.