• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
But if they already know that the CMA will block, why do this? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Yeah I don't think they know either, they are trying to pressure the CMA to block it is my view on this move. So the CMA is still a big unknown although it's most likely that they will also try to block it since they bring up the same of the same arguments that the FTC makes and appear to be ideologically driven as well.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the FTC is trying to embolden the CMA to block. But if the FTC gets into hot water with the EC, and the EC does a speedy approval, then the CMA is pressured again.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Well this is certainly a dumb claim:

70. Other video gaming devices available today are not commercially reasonable alternatives to High-Performance Consoles and are therefore not included in the Relevant Market. These include gaming PCs, and mobile devices

Revenue from consoles in 2021 for Activision Blizzard was 30%, PC at 26% and revenue from mobile had the largest share at 36%.

Really impressive, over 60% of revenue from devices that aren't commercially reasonable alternatives...

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think there's way too much weight being given into separate governments co-conspirating rather than being cooperative, but IANAL.

Stoppabl3

May 26, 2022
Yeah I don't think they know either, they are trying to pressure the CMA to block it is my view on this move. So the CMA is still a big unknown although it's most likely that they will also try to block it since they bring up the same of the same arguments that the FTC makes and appear to be ideologically driven as well.
Exactly. If the CMA blocks there's very little MS can do about it. So why make yourself look foolish for no reason? There has to be something more to this.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Microsoft can appeal to the CAT in the UK. But yeah I am with you here and this is just a sideshow. The CMA are blocking this and the FTC already knows.

It's dead Jim
In a situation like this, how Microsoft would generally get out of this is to try and pit the regulators against eachother. Continue pushing hard for the EU to approve it. Then target the FTC in court and proove their arguments are lies. Then go to Court against the CMA to force them to look at the deal again. Now with the EU on their side, and the arguments the CMA shared with the FTC proved as lies in a court of law.

Then, the CMA could still absolutely just block it again. But they would have lost all their political cover, would be the odd ones out, and would have to explain why its okay in the EU and not the UK.

Usual caveat of "If Micosoft doesn't just drop the case instead"

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Exactly. If the CMA blocks there's very little MS can do about it. So why make yourself look foolish for no reason? There has to be something more to this.

They bring weak arguments to their internal judge so the judge will send it back for amendments. If they bring a strong case at the start, the judge will approve it and they would have to go to federal court.

Jun 15, 2020
If the FTC gives cover to the CMA to block based on a straight-up lie, everybody should be furious. The process matters. But I know they won't be....

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
FTC knows they likely can't block it on their own. CMA preliminary phase 2 findings are due in a couple weeks, so they surely have an initial draft they're working on that they may have shared with the FTC. I'd assume these regulatory bodies communicate with each other during these cases, unless there are laws against that that I don't know of. The FTC statement reads very similarly to the CMA phase 1 stuff.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FTC knows they likely can't block it on their own. CMA preliminary phase 2 findings are due in a couple weeks, so they surely have an initial draft they're working on that they may have shared with the FTC. I'd assume these regulatory bodies communicate with each other during these cases, unless there are laws against that that I don't know of. The FTC statement reads very similarly to the CMA phase 1 stuff.
I would ask Idas.

View: https://twitter.com/charlieintel/status/1601267069386899456?s=46&t=-lxq7MHqL92s3H34uzBBzA

Was this shared?

Kind of seems counter to what the ftc and CMA are using in the foreclosure arguments

We've been discussing it for a couple pages now.

Vince Death

Jun 15, 2022
If the FTC knows, then MS would know too and they would probably just abandon the deal at this point.

I doubt that Microsoft are privy to the private conversations.

In a situation like this, how Microsoft would generally get out of this is to try and pit the regulators against eachother. Continue pushing hard for the EU to approve it. Then target the FTC in court and proove their arguments are lies. Then go to Court against the CMA to force them to look at the deal again. Now with the EU on their side, and the arguments the CMA shared with the FTC proved as lies in a court of law.

Then, the CMA could still absolutely just block it again. But they would have lost all their political cover, would be the odd ones out, and would have to explain why its okay in the EU and not the UK.

Usual caveat of "If Micosoft doesn't just drop the case instead"

The CMA won't feel pressured by the EC. Brexit happened and they will want to appear independent no matter what. They will announce their decision long before this will go before a judge in the states

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They have control over timelines so they can drag this out until the deal is abandoned.

Eh, that control only really extends to June. If the Supreme Court rules in favour of companies, and they probably will given public statement, then Microsoft can drag this out in front of a real court room

The CMA won't feel pressured by the EC. Brexit happened and they will want to appear independent no matter what. They will announce their decision long before this will go before a judge in the states

Brexit doesn't nullify the fact that their makets are near-identical. They may want to appear independent, but they also have weigh in extra variables that didn't exist in the initial judgement. Variables which would have been shown to be false in courts of law. And There is nothing saying that Microsoft has to go to court immediately either so they very much could play the board if they so chose.

Thats not to say the CMA can't just come up with another excuse to deny it. But they would have to put in the work to do that, and Microsoft can make UK specific deals to flatter them without having to worry about those deals expanding to be global.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
CMA's phase 1 was released to the public, so it's not like the FTC doesn't know about their initial findings.

Vince Death

Jun 15, 2022
Eh, that control only really extends to June. If the Supreme Court rules in favour of companies, and they probably will given public statement, then Microsoft can drag this out in front of a real court room

Brexit doesn't nullify the fact that their makets are near-identical. They may want to appear independent, but they also have weigh in extra variables that didn't exist in the initial judgement. Variables which would have been shown to be false in courts of law. And There is nothing saying that Microsoft has to go to court immediately either so they very much could play the board if they so chose.

Thats not to say the CMA can't just come up with another excuse to deny it. But they would have to put in the work to do that, and Microsoft can make UK specific deals to flatter them without having to worry about those deals expanding to be global.

We'll see. Perhaps I am just being cynical. But I would put money on the CMA blocking this now.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
just brought up on hoeg...

trying to exclude nintendo from high performance gaming makes nintendo a monopoly in it's own market XD

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
MLex emailed the European Commission about the FTC accusation and they provided a very interesting answer:

As I mentioned yesterday, so much focus on the Zenimax case and the exclusivity issues didn't make any sense.

And the EC is almost accusing the FTC of lying, things could get serious.
this is pretty misleading. EC is not making a judgment call about Microsoft's good-will assurances, just they weren't a factor of consideration in approving the purchase. which is another way of saying, "They could go back on their gestures to us and it doesn't matter, it still wouldn't be anticompetitive"

this speaks exclusively to the Zenimax purchase. it also does not suggest that EC won't find Microsoft's language in the Zenimax purchase to be problematic for their new purchase, as the FTC does.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The FTC used Microsoft's statements to the EU and actions post-close to illustrate potential risks with this transaction. Disagree with their perspective or understanding, but it is a factual account of what transpired.

Accusing the FTC of lying is just bizarre.
So you acuse the EU of lying? That's just bizarre.

Oct 27, 2017
The responses to the FTC's ill-advised and politically driven decision from Sanders and Warren, are sadly, but predictably expected.

The desire for regulatory oversight is an optics game for them and tangible benefits to the consumer seem to be taking a backseat in favor of making a statement.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'm not sure they are really. IMO the FTC commentary technically wasn't necessarily an accusation that MS misled the EC - but 'just' that assurances that MS is making now about not having financial incentive to foreclose re. ABK content can't be taken as any sort of guarantee given how meaningless they were in the Zenimax case. Lots of people took the implication of 'misleading' the EC, but I thought that was jumping the gun a bit. What MS might take more issue with is the idea that this therefore means 'any' assurances are meaningless, but it's a slightly different point.
Microsoft never gave any assurances. They always said case by case basis.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Feel free to read my write up in cyrribraes post above yours. The FTC does not just "illustrate potential risks". They said that Microsoft made games exclusive (like Starfield) "despite assurances it had given to the EU antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles". They use it as a point that Microsoft essentially lied and deceived the EU in how they would behave (re: exclusive new games) because they had "no incentive", which they didn't and the EC agreed with that sentiment after considering the facts. What you are saying is not what happened at all.
The FTC's entire crux with this is that Microsoft cannot necessarily be trusted to follow through with non-binding agreements if their past behavior with Zenimax is an indicator of how they will operate with Activision under their control. Microsoft purposely highlighted that they were not incentivized to pursue exclusivity with Zenimax content, however, as the EU responded this morning, they never guaranteed that they wouldn't.

The FTC is doubting the validity of Microsoft's current assurances based on their actual statements to the EU with regards to Zenimax. Again, you can disagree with that, hell, even disagree with their interpretation of Microsoft's statements to the EU (although, I still think it's a bit generous to interpret it as you chose to), but accusing the FTC of lying is ignoring what's actually stated in the complaint.
So you acuse the EU of lying? That's just bizarre.
FTC: " Microsoft assured the European Commission ("EC") during its antitrust review of the ZeniMax purchase that Microsoft would not have the incentive to withhold ZeniMax titles from rival consoles. But, shortly after the EC cleared the transaction, Microsoft made public its decision to make several of the newly acquired ZeniMax titles, including Starfield, Redfall, and Elder Scrolls VI, Microsoft exclusives."

EU: "Microsoft didn't make any commitments to EU regulators not to release Xbox-exclusive content following its takeover of ZeniMax Media."

Neither party is lying?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love that ResetEra is now probably going to be mentioned in a legal textbook.
TenseSmoggyAlaskanmalamute-max-1mb.gif

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
The FTC's entire crux with this is that Microsoft cannot necessarily be trusted to follow through with non-binding agreements if their past behavior with Zenimax is an indicator of how they will operate with Activision under their control. Microsoft purposely highlighted that they were not incentivized to pursue exclusivity with Zenimax content, however, as the EU responded this morning, they never guaranteed that they wouldn't.
Great, then make one legally binding.