• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022

It looks like MS will finally wait to see what the CMA says and won't offer early remedies to the EC until late January, with the Statement of Objections.

It makes sense, if the answer from the CMA is positive, then engage with the EC during the normal process with a good outcome more likely. If it isn't, they could pull out even before the first extension, if they don't want to wait until March.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
It looks like MS will finally wait to see what the CMA says and won't offer early remedies to the EC until late January, with the Statement of Objections.

It makes sense, if the answer from the CMA is positive, then engage with the EC during the normal process with a good outcome more likely. If it isn't, they could pull out even before the first extension, if they don't want to wait until March.

I dont know if this really means they pull out or just that if the findings are negative from the CMA, and similarly negative from the EC, they could combine the remedies offered. Just my guess; given US holidays, there wouldn't have been much activity from the two US headquartered companies regardless in early January

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if this really means they pull out or just that if the findings are negative from the CMA, and similarly negative from the EC, they could combine the remedies offered. Just my guess; given US holidays, there wouldn't have been much activity from the two US headquartered companies regardless in early January

no, it's just so they don't negotiate against themselves. you try to negotiate against a group instead of individually because you could set yourself up with too many concessions for no reason if you don't

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Sounds to me like the CMA talks are going so well that they don't want to fast track an EC decision anymore. That or EC suddenly did a U-turn on the deal after all the evidence that's in favor of passing it with remedies.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Sounds to me like the CMA talks are going so well that they don't want to fast track an EC decision anymore. That or EC suddenly did a U-turn on the deal after all the evidence that's in favor of passing it with remedies.

I think that what MLex said the other day was right: after the FTC challenge, the EC is not interested in early talks for remedies and prefers to wait for the provisional findings from the CMA

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 days and permanent thread ban): Console wars, prior infractions for similar behavior
lol at non-UK Xbox fanboys sending abusive emails to the CMA. Gamers smh.

sdsutton78

Dec 12, 2022
Looking at the replies they got on Twitter alone makes it obvious, including Jez Corden who was recently called out for throwing his abusive followers onto others (John Linneman) on Twitter.
Uhh, because John Linneman pretty much insulted him and his character? At least get your facts straight. He basically said "Judging from his background, he's to into this" with an insulting tone.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
so the EC wants to go the way of the FTC?

No, I think that they just want to let the review process progress normally.

By timing, the CMA has always been a little bit ahead. They should say something during the first two weeks of January.

The EC doesn't have to say anything until the end of January, with the Statement of Objections (SO).

Before the challenge from tbe FTC, engaging in early talks for remedies to avoid that SO and close things early made sense for MS.

For MS still makes sense, but after the FTC challenge maybe the EC prefers to let the original timeline progress and see what the CMA thinks.

It's just an issue of timing and procedure, nothing more.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017

By timing, the CMA has always been a little bit ahead. They should say something during the first two weeks of January.

The EC doesn't have to say anything until the end of January, with the Statement of Objections (SO).

Before the challenge from tbe FTC, engaging in early talks for remedies to avoid that SO and close things early made sense for MS.

For MS still makes sense, but after the FTC challenge maybe the EC prefers to let the original timeline progress and see what the CMA thinks.

Wouldn't/Couldn't it be that they don't want to seem weak against "Big-Tech" if they were to accept with minimal remedies, just to have the FTC and CMA push to block?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
What discords is this fantasy from?
😅

oh.. makes sense. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
If it did come down to divestiture (since behavioral is frowned upon), surely MS would take, let's say King, rather than nothing at all, right? ABK would have to be for that as well but yeah.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If it did come down to divestiture (since behavioral is frowned upon), surely MS would take, let's say King, rather than nothing at all, right? ABK would have to be for that as well but yeah.

I can't imagine MS taking anything other than the Activision portion, as that's the most valuable asset to them and the part that's holding this deal up, really. Call of Duty's a big deal to these platform holders.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I can't imagine MS taking anything other than the Activision portion, as that's the most valuable asset to them and the part that's holding this deal up, really. Call of Duty's a big deal to these platform holders.
King is the most valuable as mobile is the crowned jewel

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
King is the most valuable as mobile is the crowned jewel

MS would gain far more from Activision than they would from King, in terms of bolstering Game Pass, which is their bread and butter right now. There's no chance that they'd be happy with just King. Call of Duty is holding this deal up for a big reason.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think if they could walk away with King and Blizzard that might be enough.

I don't think Microsoft would pay 69 billion for King
No, they'd have to find a buyer for the divested portions of the company.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think if they could walk away with King and Blizzard that might be enough.

I strongly disagree. They're making these acquisitions for Game Pass right?

If we agree on that, then I think we can both agree that nothing strengthens Game Pass more than a top selling, annually released IP like Call of Duty.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I feel like a divestiture would just bring ABK and MS back to the negotiating table, at which points talks would fall apart. Can't see AB wanting to sell off just K if they're otherwise staying independent 🤷‍♂️
I strongly disagree. They're making these acquisitions for Game Pass right?

If we agree on that, then I think we can both agree that nothing strengthens Game Pass more than a top selling, annually released IP like Call of Duty.
Game Pass is part of it, but MS is also talking a big game about their mobile plans. They want to be a real player in that space, ABK is their way in

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Game Pass is part of it, but MS is also talking a big game about their mobile plans. They want to be a big player in that space, ABK is their way in
And a mobile push, I think they are pushing for both.

MS says this and that, but I don't really believe it. So far they've presented next to nothing in terms of being serious about the mobile market. Sure, owning King would help them with that but so would owning other big mobile IPs that they've made zero attempts at acquiring. They have however been very aggressive in bolstering Game Pass.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MS would gain far more from Activision than they would from King, in terms of bolstering Game Pass, which is their bread and butter right now. There's no chance that they'd be happy with just King. Call of Duty is holding this deal up for a big reason.
Isn't COD just a main topic because of the console space arguments opposing said COD buyouts from a key console holder?

As for MS's intent they said COD wasn't the main reason for this buyout but rather mobile and KING. They downplayed COD many times, early on.

Before this got centered around COD as well, MS was saying their real fear is Apple and Google, only emphasized by the mobile stores monopolies.

Maybe for Xbox, Activision is the primary desire but the one footing the bill is MS itself and Nadella may choose King if divestiture is in question.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MS also said Sony isn't their competitor but Google and Amazon are. It's nice to say things, I guess.
This was when they assumed it would've gone through and Sony didn't push for counter arguments, etc....

MS possibly wanted KING as the primary buy and got Acti/Blizz as the secondary for GamePass, etc... but if divestiture becomes an issue they may weigh their options and choose what they want as a priority.

It could become Xbox's desires versus MS's own and only one is footing the bill here.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
MS says this and that, but I don't really believe it. So far they've presented next to nothing in terms of being serious about the mobile market. Sure, owning King would help them with that but so would owning other big mobile IPs that they've made zero attempts at acquiring. They have however been very aggressive in bolstering Game Pass.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Microsoft plans to open new storefront, may rival Apple and Google

Microsoft's plans to build a new games store were made public last week in a regulatory filing shared by the Competitio…
www.videogameschronicle.com

Phil Spencer says the Xbox business will become ‘untenable’ if it remains ‘irrelevant’ on mobile | VGC

The Xbox boss claims the Activision Blizzard deal is primarily about Candy Crush…
I dunno, seems pretty clear to me. Sony is making similar advances too FWIW, mobile is where the money is and it's impossible for the console manufacturers to ignore that space anymore

I'm not saying they JUST care about King, obviously they want the whole package. But downplaying the mobile incentives feels like a misread

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
I feel like a divestiture would just bring ABK and MS back to the negotiating table, at which points talks would fall apart. Can't see AB wanting to sell off just K if they're otherwise staying independent 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. ABK will be facing the prospect of trying to increase their stock price and divestiture would cripple their ability, especially losing King which probably generates the most revenue for the least amount of dev time/resources.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
??

www.gamesindustry.biz

Microsoft plans to open new storefront, may rival Apple and Google

Microsoft's plans to build a new games store were made public last week in a regulatory filing shared by the Competitio…
www.videogameschronicle.com

Phil Spencer says the Xbox business will become ‘untenable’ if it remains ‘irrelevant’ on mobile | VGC

The Xbox boss claims the Activision Blizzard deal is primarily about Candy Crush…
I dunno, seems pretty clear to me. Sony is making similar advances too FWIW, mobile is where the money is and it's impossible for the console manufacturers to ignore that space anymore

I'm not saying they JUST care about King, obviously they want the whole package. But downplaying the mobile incentives feels like a misread
user has been thread banned you won't get a reply.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we talking about divesture? That's fantasy talk. Global combined, Microsoft and Activision is 10-11% of the gaming market. Toyota owns 15% percent of the automotive industry market share. The next time you hear about Toyota being forced to sell or retire the Lexus brand would be the first time. That is not in the cards. At all. The deal will consummate with all of ABK intact.