Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Hostility, multiple prior infractions for similar behaviour
This seems excessive.

If you're trying to get me banned for calling Jez Corden, of all people, a piece of shit... I'll take it. Where as some in here can call and accuse Lina Khan all kinds of things, for doing her job.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If you're trying to get me banned for calling Jez Corden, of all people, a piece of shit... I'll take it. Where as some in here can call and accuse Lina Khan all kinds of things, for doing her job.
I don't have much a clue who he is, but I just kind of assumed his job was to say obnoxious things on Internet spaces such as Twitter. He's definitely not wrong about Khan being fueled by ideology, although that seems to be her job. So I guess everyone's just working.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean, her primary goal is to stop MS, but by defining a market where Sony is MS' only competition, the FTC complaint never rose beyond defending Sony from MS' making advances in cloud & multi-game services. Even suggested that the acquisition might lead to some horrible things like convince some gamers to buy Xboxes instead of PlayStations.
I don't think that was her necessarily defending Sony. That's her trying to bullshit an argument that doesn't hold water as it is. She's trying to construct a situation where this deal is anticompetitive when it doesn't actually exist.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If by "doing her job" you mean "making decisions based on an ideological premise that large companies shouldn't acquire others despite what the law says," then sure. She's doing that.

May 14, 2021
She actually isn't doing the job as constructed. And that's why the Supreme Court is going to act. But ultimately it's just another poorly run governmental agency. It'll be run poorly again by the next person appointed by the next president. We should expect more from Lina and everyone else who has or will run the FTC.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
fetchimage

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, all I can say is to the point of Lina Khan doing her job: she's clearly not doing that.

Her job is to follow the law with regards to mergers. She's instead acting as if the law she wants created is in place, and wasting money in trying to stall before her bogus way of things get destroyed in court.

She's not a good faith regulator.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Holy shit... People throwing around words like harassment and POS so loosely. People have the right to argue/protest against the state body in an open platform for discussion in nonviolent ways.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
With this level of hostility, you'd think that this was about some sort of nazi or something, but it's Jez lol.

I can't imagine a stupider hill to die on.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's going overboard but she absoluty is being blinded by ideology.

It's a terrible look and an improper way to run a regulatory agency IMO.

To be fair, Khan got the gig because of her outside the box thinking and willingness to challenge big tech at every step, even if it means losing (a lot). As others have said, she rose to fame off the back of her Amazon law review article while at Yale. See https://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/e.710.Khan.805_zuvfyyeh.pdf

If we (Democrats) didn't want a "bulldog" in that position then we shouldn't have appointed her. Khan is going to try and move the law to her vision kicking and screaming. She will likely fail but at least she will go out fighting.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
He also poisoned our water supply, burned our crops and delivered a plague unto our houses!
He also eats puppies when there is a full moon.
With this level of hostility, you'd think that this was about some sort of nazi or something, but it's Jez lol.

I can't imagine a stupider hill to die on.

Why are yall taking it to the extreme when it comes to Jez?

There are obviously various levels of POSs.

If we're trying to do right by this thread, bringing the personality of Jez Corden to this thread is not it imo... there are others to choose from. I just don't feel we should give him a platform here on Era... spread his tweets. I personally try to avoid social media because of people like Jez...and unfortunately the bad aspects of social media still find it's way into Era threads. Imagine if I shared someone of Jez's character (or online character if you want to call it) in this thread who's against the deal...even if they make points, in condescending ways... it would be a waste of space no? And a bunch of posts and quotes taking up space just for that character.

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
Jez is great at getting a rise from people for sure.
I don't really feel opinionated on the man but I await his next mom's gonna freak moment.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I never realized Jez lived rent free in so many people's heads. I've always though of him as just an average guy who reports on Xbox stuff and gets some inside info every now an then.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I never realized Jez lived rent free in so many people's heads. I've always though of him as just an average guy who reports on Xbox stuff and gets some inside info every now an then.

It's not really rent free if people only mention him when he posts :p to me rent free implies you think about someone outside any sort of interaction, and I don't know if that is the case here. For instance, Mega Crit the developers of Slay the Spire live rent free in my head, I don't need to see anything from them to think about them constantly.

Unless Jez posts on Twitter or mentions a rumour on his podcast, I barely see him get mentioned,

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Every time someone posts a Jez tweet, it's so they can try and derail the thread and get people to shit on him. I'm not even the biggest fan of Jez, but it's so clear that the people posting his tweets are not doing it in good faith. It's bizzare.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Holy shit... People throwing around words like harassment and POS so loosely. People have the right to argue/protest against the state body in an open platform for discussion in nonviolent ways.

It's nuts how crazy people are in here when it comes to Jez because he says things they don't like, it's actually kinda gross and a mob mentality, makes this thread a bit embarrassing to read to be honest. Sure he is agressive but he doesn't exactly take Twitter seriously, not only that but he is right and that's probably the main reason why people are set off. Imagine getting set off so much to hurle abuse towards someone because they said something on Twitter you don't like, he posted about video games.

I hope the thread moves on from the attacks, this keeps happening and I don't see why anything isn't done about it, this sort of shit always derails the thread by the exact same people.

If a merger would crush competition

Lol this is her words in the article, I do not see how in any metric this is possible with the ABK deal.

Our job is to prevent illegal mergers, not to make the world a better place.

Also what the fuck is this, both can be true, preventing illegal mergers would make the world a better place because of increased competition and benefits to consumers.

Last edited:

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
Every time someone posts a Jez tweet, it's so they can try and derail the thread and get people to shit on him. I'm not even the biggest fan of Jez, but it's so clear that the people posting his tweets are not doing it in good faith. It's bizzare.
You really don't think somebody might not post it because it's relevant to whatever's being talked about at hand? I mean, if you've got something pointing that he's only posted to troll because otherwise it's leaning into conspiracy theory territory.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
You really don't think somebody might not post it because it's relevant to whatever's being talked about at hand? I mean, if you've got something pointing that he's only posted to troll because otherwise it's leaning into conspiracy theory territory.

And post a comment like "Looks like Jez was just made aware of Lina's comments. Oh dear." no need to jump at the defence of the poster.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

He posted about this subject, so it went in the thread, I don't think it is anymore complicated then that. It's not like people are bringing him up without context. Numerous peoples Twitter posts have been mentioned in here, they aren't all being trolled :p

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Jez is outspoken but he is right here
Agreed. The FTC knows they'll loose badly in Federal Court. They're just delaying the inevitable.
I never realized Jez lived rent free in so many people's heads.
Yup. it's so weird.
Lol this is her words in the article, I do not see how in any metric this is possible with the ABK deal.

Also what the fuck is this, both can be true, preventing illegal mergers would make the world a better place because of increased competition and benefits to consumers.
I saw this a while ago. the part about not making the world a better place still makes me scratch my head...crazy

Last edited:

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
And post a comment like "Looks like Jez was just made aware of Lina's comments. Oh dear." no need to jump at the defence of the poster.
This isn't about jumping to the defence of the poster. It's being confused about a claim that somebody posted a tweet just because... reasons? It's not like they're a one post in the thread drop and pop. They've participated in this thread quite a bit thus far. So it's harder for me to believe that they'd just drop a tweet to troll rather than doing so because they thought it relevant.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Why are yall taking it to the extreme when it comes to Jez?

There are obviously various levels of POSs.

If we're trying to do right by this thread, bringing the personality of Jez Corden to this thread is not it imo... there are others to choose from. I just don't feel we should give him a platform here on Era... spread his tweets. I personally try to avoid social media because of people like Jez...and unfortunately the bad aspects of social media still find it's way into Era threads. Imagine if I shared someone of Jez's character (or online character if you want to call it) in this thread who's against the deal...even if they make points, in condescending ways... it would be a waste of space no? And a bunch of posts and quotes taking up space just for that character.
You're calling someone a POS based on... what? His twitter posts? Has he harassed someone, or harmed someone you know or something?

I thought this forum was supposed to be better than this wanton aggression.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
the hate for Jez is not something i expected to discover when doing my occasional read up on this thread lmao

he is right, and if you dont like him thats fine and the fastest way to move on from him in this thread is to *drum roll* just move on instead of going on about him being a piece of shit cuz reasons
just my two cents.

the holidays and the new year gettin in the way of my corporate drama, but at least the FTC is consistent, consistent brain-dead but alas

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
To be fair, Khan got the gig because of her outside the box thinking and willingness to challenge big tech at every step, even if it means losing (a lot). As others have said, she rose to fame off the back of her Amazon law review article while at Yale. See https://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/e.710.Khan.805_zuvfyyeh.pdf

If we (Democrats) didn't want a "bulldog" in that position then we shouldn't have appointed her. Khan is going to try and move the law to her vision kicking and screaming. She will likely fail but at least she will go out fighting.
Yea, like I said earlier. She's doing what she said she was going to do when she was hired. It should come as no shock that her actions are largely according to plan, essentially. [Though, again, let's not understate how incompetent(?) the MS filing was. That can't be strategy.. Or it really shouldn't be, at least.]

What should come as a disappointment is that for all her fury and intensity, she's only gotten modest wins at about the level of any other actually-trying FTC (if not a bit behind) AND she's poised to get the FTC's major administrative tactic (that DOJ doesn't even have) clipped in the wings too. It's one thing being a bulldog that keeps the family safe. It's another entirely to be the bulldog that keeps harassing the neighbors so much that it makes life harder for the family and they have to.. iono put the cone on (ultimately ineffectual, unlike say a muzzle, but demonstratively shameful).

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
I think the main thing I took from Khan's tweet is her calling it an illegal deal. Is that something that could come back and bite her or was that the basis of the FTC's filing?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think the main thing I took from Khan's tweet is her calling it an illegal deal. Is that something that could come back and bite her or was that the basis of the FTC's filing?
No. She's not calling MS/ABK an illegal deal (here). She's not even talking about it at all. It's possible that the matter has some small overlap with MS/ABK, but it's really a different matter. MS does not lean on its ESG efforts to make a case for why this case should pass regulatory scrutiny. So.. no. She's talking in generalities here about a general legal question (about whether companies that do good things should be allowed to do bad things elsewhere) broadly. Not about specific cases per se.

But that all said, also yes, the FTC suing to block the MS/ABK deal is indeed based on them saying that it is illegal. lol

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
Jez is a borderline fanboy and kinda cringe, but he does have some points in this case.

Even more cringe is people here who treat him like he is the worst part of the intetnet (piece of shit, harrasment of goverment etc.)

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
The Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) announced today a new global M&A division for effective merger control of foreign deals to review local and international acquisitions involving foreign companies.

They said that the MS/ABK deal is one of those acquisitions, recently requiring in-depth economic analysis and legal review.

The agency's M&A division is formed by only 8 officials 😬 (the FTC had more than 10 people only for the MS/ABK case).

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
The Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) announced today a new global M&A division for effective merger control of foreign deals to review local and international acquisitions involving foreign companies.

They said that the MS/ABK deal is one of those acquisitions, recently requiring in-depth economic analysis and legal review.

The agency's M&A division is formed by only 8 officials 😬 (the FTC had more than 10 people only for the MS/ABK case).
Same standards as the rest of the world or different levels for their markets ?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone ever listened to Jez on a podcast you would realise he sounds very different to his twitter persona.