• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Hahahahahhaha, absolute mad lads these boys and girls. 😆
This stuff is incredible to me lmao. Microsoft is offering to continuing COD on PlayStation and expand it to other platforms, like they did with Minecraft, as well as adding it to subscription services to make it cheaper for consumers and have an objective third party arbitrator and the counter argument is "they might add bugs."

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's remedy

Microsoft's proposed content licensing remedy
3.3 To resolve the Console Gaming SLC, Microsoft will commit to continue licensing CoD to Sony – including all existing and future releases on the Xbox console – for a period of 10 years. The key elements of the proposed licensing remedy are set out below:
Strictly Confidential Contains Business Secrets

(a) Scope: The remedy will apply to CoD titles for consoles and associated content ("CoD Games"). CoD Games includes all past and current CoD titles available on PlayStation. In addition, all future CoD titles available on the Xbox console will also be available on PlayStation. CoD Games account for more than []% of Activision's publishing revenue on console.62

(b) Term: The remedy will apply for a period of 10 years.

(c) Console platforms: The remedy will apply to all Sony consoles (including
PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 5) and any successor consoles.

(d) Parity: The remedy will provide Sony with parity on release date, content, features, upgrades, quality and playability with the Xbox platform. Microsoft is prepared to commit to have an Objective Third Party Assessor []. The Objective Third Party Assessor [].

(e) Economic terms: All purchases will be subject to a revenue sharing arrangement, with Sony retaining []% of the revenue from sales of CoD Games, and content related to any CoD Games. [], []. Taking account of all payments from Sony to Activision, Sony currently receives a []of []%. As such, the proposed remedy represents a [] in Sony's economic terms.

Wholesale pricing parity: The remedy will provide that the wholesale price of CoD Games offered to Sony ("Wholesale Price") is [] for the equivalent version of the game on the Xbox platform.

(g) Subscription and streaming rights: Any CoD Game in a Microsoft multi- game subscription is eligible for inclusion in Sony's multi-game subscription service, at the same time and for the same duration. []. [].

(h) Terms: [].63
3.4 Microsoft's remedy will include the following mechanisms for monitoring compliance
and dispute resolution:

(a) Monitoring Trustee: A monitoring trustee will be appointed to monitor Microsoft's compliance with the remedy and to report to the CMA on a periodic basis. The identity of the monitoring trustee will be agreed with the CMA. The monitoring trustee will be remunerated by Microsoft.

(b) Objective Third Party Assessor: An Objective Third Party Assessor will be appointed to []. The identity of the Objective Third Party Assessor will be agreed with the CMA. Microsoft is considering potential candidates and can propose a shortlist to the CMA in due course. The Objective Third Party Assessor will be [].

(c) Fast-track Dispute Resolution Mechanism: Microsoft and Sony would be required to seek to resolve any dispute through cooperation and consultation within a reasonable period of time. If []. The arbitrator will be required to take into account that the purpose of the remedy is to allay concerns relating to the Merger. The CMA will be entitled to participate in all stages of the procedure. In the event of disagreement between the parties regarding the interpretation of the remedies, the arbitrator may seek the CMA's interpretation of the commitments and will be bound by the interpretation.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sony said:
Microsoft might release a PlayStation version of Call of Duty where bugs and errors emerge only on the game's final level or after later updates. Even if such degradations could be swiftly detected, any remedy would likely come too late, by which time the gaming community would have lost confidence in PlayStation as a go-to venue to play Call of Duty. Indeed, as Modern Warfare II attests, Call of Duty is most often purchased in just the first few weeks of release. If it became known that the game's performance on PlayStation was worse than on Xbox, Call of Duty gamers could decide to switch to Xbox, for fear of playing their favourite game at a second-class or less competitive venue.
Absolutely delusional from Sony here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The idea that MS being legally beholden to technical parity would be meaningless as it could sabotage the game after release via an update doesn't even make sense, as if it did do so, it'd instantly be in breach of those terms.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahahhaha, absolute mad lads these boys and girls. 😆
this kinda cemented the merger in favor of MS for me really. Like are Sony just playing on the ignorance of the CMA? Yes let's sell people a product then make it bad at the end as a secret. It'll be a great prank and totally not turn people off our game that sells butt loads on PS.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
"Microsoft's past conduct of violating behavioural commitments and promises to the public further shows that its representations must be treated with caution"

From Sony's response. Is that about Bethesda?

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
Just to remind people sony will say anything to stop this deal no matter how outlandish it seems. And they will pray on the CMA not having a full grasp on the intricacies of game development to seed worry/dought that MS will pull a quick one on them.

That's what I would do anyway lol

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
Microsofts repsonses cover everything really well. They will pay a 3rd party to monitor the contracts. Also seems like Sony will get a better % cut from CoD sales then they currently get from Activision.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Sony suggesting that Microsoft could release Call of Duty with a load of bugs in the final level solely in the Playstation version is one of the most pathetic arguments I've ever heard.

Reckheim

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to remind people sony will say anything to stop this deal. And they will pray on the CMA not having a full grasp on the intricacies of game development to seed worry/dought that MS will pull a quick one on them.

That's what I would do anyway lol
exactly, they are lawyers, swing for the fences and hope some of the shit sticks.

Them being unreasonable has gotten them a lot more then they would of had if they didn't say anything.

But yes, the whole intentional bugs and sabotage thing is pretty ridiculous.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
"Microsoft's past conduct of violating behavioural commitments and promises to the public further shows that its representations must be treated with caution"

They mention instances from 2004 and 2009, then include Bethesda as a 'not technically an agreed on thing, but goes against their messaging beforehand' aside at the end.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

While not a violation of a behavioural commitment, Microsoft's conduct in relation to the ZeniMax acquisition provides additional evidence of why a behavioural commitment should be approached with caution When Microsoft proposed acquiring ZeniMax, it told the EC that "it would not have the incentive to cease or limit making ZeniMax games available for purchase on rival consoles."29 Microsoft also publicly stated to investors that "we highly encourage cross-platform play [because] if it's good for the gaming ecosystem, it's good for us…[w]e don't have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of [competitor platforms]."30 But soon after the acquisition closed, Xbox's head Phil Spencer revealed that, all along, the deal was about "delivering great exclusive games" for Xbox.31 Mr. Spencer later confirmed that the upcoming releases of two of Bethesda's most popular titles, Starfield and Elder Scrolls, would be Xbox exclusives.32 In response to the news, Pete Hines, Bethesda's marketing boss, said "Sorry, all I can really say is, 'I apologize,' because I'm certain that's frustrating to folks, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it."33
The best part for me is:
While not a violation of a behavioural commitment,

so the remedy from MS is basically the same thing they offered before CMA responded
The CMA never considered MS' remedies in their PF.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit 41% of Sony's total user base played COD for at least more then 2 hours? That is an insane number of people

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This stuff is incredible to me lmao. Microsoft is offering to continuing COD on PlayStation and expand it to other platforms, like they did with Minecraft, as well as adding it to subscription services to make it cheaper for consumers and have an objective third party arbitrator and the counter argument is "they might add bugs."

Well, no, their counter argument to 'adding it to subscription services' is that the (redacted) terms offered for that are economically unviable for anyone but MS with gamepass, who can account away the cost internally in a way competitors can't - which would make these games defacto Gamepass exclusives, something they say MS's own words indicate as a goal of the acquisition.

Sony's arguments about bugs might be reaching for a circumvention risk re. a behavioural remedy, but it's not the extent of their argument at all. Their argument is mostly just elaborating and adding colour to issues and risks the CMA already provisionally warns about, which you'd expect from Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
From Sony on Bethesda and communications with MS.

IMG_7289.png
IMG_6661.jpg
IMG_6660.jpg

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Sony what's wrong with you?
It's funny because they contradict themselves. They admit that Call of Duty is a game often purchased in first few weeks of release but then suggest that Microsoft could severely hurt the PlayStation versions in "later updates."
Indeed, as Modern Warfare II attests, Call of Duty is most often purchased in just the first few weeks of release.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the concept of MS intentionally making the PS version of the game buggier is weird. However that they might stop using the PS specific controller features isn't that strange and would be a degradation for Sony that wouldn't actually be prevented with the parity agreement.

I means it's cod? How many people do you think play minecraft.
I was just thrown off a bit. I knew COD was important but I didn't realize how much. I can see why they are fighting it so heavily now.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The best part for me is:

The CMA never considered MS' remedies in their PF.
I don't understand, if it's not a behavioural commitment, why does it matter if they said one thing and did another? I know the intuitive reason, "they aren't to be trusted" but if that was a behavioural commitment they wouldn't have went back on their word either.

Kline

AVALANCHE
Sep 15, 2022
"Microsoft might release a PlayStation version of Call of Duty where bugs and errors emerge only on the game's final level or after later updates."

Fucking hell that's shameless from Sony, they have literally no good arguments left at all.

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
The most interesting argument is the cod not being on ps plus because of the money that Sony makes off it.

So what do you do? tell sony to kick rocks and lean into the fact that cod on subscriptions will give consumers more choice at a better value.

Or block because Sony's bottom line is more important and could cause disruption to one of the top dogs in the video game market.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sabotage 😂

Maybe a quick blink and you will miss it blue screen, ghost of bill gates before it freezes.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't understand, if it's not a behavioural commitment, why does it matter if they said one thing and did another? I know the intuitive reason, "they aren't to be trusted" but if that was a behavioural commitment they wouldn't have went back on their word either.
It's also twisting words. Microsoft was obviously talking about that they won't remove existing ZeniMax games from rival stores, they never committed to not making games exclusive. Even the EC pushed back against this when the FTC said it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony is suggesting that if it's not in the behavioral commitment then it is a free for all. That is in the section talking about how difficult it will be to enforce the key parts of the behavioral remedies. So more pointing out that MS can talk the talk but won't necessarily walk it if they find a loophole in the agreement they will exploit it. Mostly trying to show that they don't really have an issue saying one thing and then behaving differently after the fact.

Where are you seeing that? That seems disproportionately higher than all other metrics mentioned so far
Sony's reply on the bottom of page 9. It goes with the part about how much licensing COD for PS+ would cost and them and how it would be way to expensive for them to run the service at it's current cost.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
At the very least, if the CMA blocks this, there is going to be a ton of scrutiny on the CMA going forward. The FTC is already there.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud remedy

To resolve the Cloud Gaming SLC, Microsoft will commit to license Activision games, including CoD and WoW, [] to cloud gaming providers with a B2P or BYOG offering for a period of 10 years.

A summary of the key elements of the proposed licensing remedy is provided below:

(a) Scope: The remedy will apply to the Activision titles for PC and associated content listed in the Appendix below, including all past, current and future releases of such titles available on PC (the "PC Games").

(b) Term: The remedy will apply for a period of 10 years.

(c) Consumer License: Microsoft will unilaterally grant a license to any consumer who has purchased or obtained a free license to play a PC Game from an authorized third-party PC digital storefront ("Eligible Game") to stream the game using a generally-recognised PC consumer cloud gaming provider to a device they own (the "Consumer License"). Microsoft will grant the Consumer License by publishing it on Microsoft's website. The Consumer License will be granted for the Term.

(d) Eligible Provider License: Microsoft will grant a license to stream Eligible Games to PC cloud gaming providers with a B2P or BYOG business model (the "Eligible Provider License"). To qualify as an eligible provider, a PC cloud gaming provider must be a generally-recognised consumer PC cloud gaming provider that meets the following criteria ("Eligible Provider"): (i) [];76 and (ii) it must comply with applicable data protection legislation and commonly used security standards aimed at protecting gamers and games to ensure necessary and sufficient protection of all consumers accounts used to stream Eligible Games.

(e) Pricing: The Consumer License and the Eligible Provider License will be [].

(f) Release date parity: The remedy will provide Eligible Providers release date parity with buy-to-play on PC. The Licenses will be granted for Eligible Games [].

(g) Authorized PC Digital Storefront. An Authorized PC Digital Storefront is any third-party PC digital storefront to which Microsoft decides to distribute Eligible Games post-Transaction. Microsoft commits to distribute Eligible Games post-Transaction to at least one third-party PC digital storefront for the Term.

(h) Licenses will be subject to the following limitations with regard to Eligible

Games:

• The Provider will be responsible to adjust its service, to the extent necessary, to allow for consumers to stream Eligible Games. Microsoft does not expect that any technical adaptations will be needed to be made to Eligible Games to enable streaming on the Providers' service.

• It will be the Provider's sole responsibility to secure potential third-party IP rights necessary to stream Eligible Games (e.g., music, voice talent). This is in line with market practice, as cloud game streaming providers currently need to separately obtain a license for third-party IP rights to stream games. [].

4.6 Microsoft's remedy will include the following mechanisms for monitoring compliance and dispute resolution:

(a) Monitoring Trustee: A monitoring trustee will be appointed to monitor Microsoft's compliance with the remedy and to report to the CMA on a periodic basis. The identity of the monitoring trustee will be agreed with the CMA. The monitoring trustee will be remunerated by Microsoft.

(b) Dispute Resolution Mechanism: A fast-track dispute resolution to an independent adjudicator. The identity of the adjudicator will be agreed with the CMA. The adjudicator will be remunerated by Microsoft.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Third, swiftly detecting any diversions from, and ensuring compliance with, a commitment as to technical or graphical quality would be challenging. For example, Microsoft might release a PlayStation version of Call of Duty where bugs and errors emerge only on the game's final level or after later updates.

Now this is a truly pathetic argument from Sony. Just embarrassing.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Just imagine a CoD match where every PS5 player has squeaky boots? Or a PS5 player camping in a corner with a nose whistle? This is just the tip of the iceberg. These are the end of days.

/s

MS is certainly going all in on this deal. It will not be for lack of trying if the aquisition is denied.