• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
funny that ms is on the verge of purchasing a company that's 2/3rds the size of Sony by market cap in addition to recently buying Bethesda but the narrative is about what is Sony doing to harm MS lol It's so wacky and far from truth when MS have made so many mistakes over the years and they own way more studios than Sony. If you have a compelling product Japanese consumers will purchase your product. Just look at apple

Ah yes, the misaligned argument that company size and market cap somehow directly correlates with market position and market share within an industry. The biggest companies definitely can't feel the pressure of anti-competitive practices by entrenched market leaders.

Just do better Microsoft, you aren't swimming upriver fast enough.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
The basis would be Sony are the market leader and it would be unfair to the competition to let them buy such a big publisher.

Basically this, considering the "high end performance" market is gonna have legal precedent following this deal. Sony trying to buy the publisher of Madden/FIFA/Apex would naturally draw ire in Europe for example where they hold the 4/1 ratio lead based on this market definition
Makes sense, got it.

Though the ABK purchase will close this gap eventually.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Blaming your competitor for your failures is not a good excuse. Make a compelling product and the market will take care of itself or brute force your way. It might work. Just don't understand this notion that MS's position is Sonys fault which completely overlooks the failures and missteps of themselves. Sony has a better product it's really that simple. Ms can always improve and they will but the excuses made for them are tiring.

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
Blaming your competitor for your failures is not a good excuse. Make a compelling product and the market will take care of itself or brute force your way. It might work. Just don't understand this notion that MS's position is Sonys fault which completely overlooks the failures and missteps of themselves. Sony has a better product it's really that simple. Ms can always improve and they will but the excuses made for them are tiring.

Nor is it an excuse Microsoft solely makes, let's not make reductive points that aren't fully considerate of the actual business circumstances that make this a smart move for Microsoft's overall gaming strategy.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019

If Sonys product is better why do they need to pay to keep FF, Silent Hill and other products off or Xbox. Why the exclusives quest lines and exclusion of Game Pass clauses if people would buy the PlayStation version regardless? These games are sold world wide.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
It's capitalizing on Sony's mistake during this whole regulatory process. Sony tried so hard to block this deal they may have inadvertently made any future publisher acquisitions more difficult for themselves.

At the same time it's also opening them up to what would normally be a ridiculous notion (Japan/Congress thing)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

As I said in my previous post that you quoted, both things can be true at the same time. Sony can be deserving of its place in the market because they offer a great product AND Sony can possibly be blamed for anti-competitive practices because they may have made moves that hurt its competition. It isn't an excuse for the numerous documented mistakes and failures of Xbox after the 360 era but it shouldn't be brushed aside either just because Microsoft made mistakes.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
MS could 100% corner the market on JRPG's and the Xbox would still struggle mightily in Japan. They just don't want a high end home gaming console in large numbers there anymore. Especially an American one that focuses mostly on western games.

I don't think there's anything Xbox could do in Japan to make significant headway. "Just make something better" is laughably reductive. Xbox has a MASSIVE cultural barrier in Japan, not just a software barrier.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft wouldn't be able to do it either without scrutiny. And they'd be just fine with that. Sony most definitely would not.

In a sensible definition of the market that includes Nintendo, PC, mobile, etc. exclusivity agreements would definitely continue to skate by without much scrutiny. In the completely absurd market definition that Sony themselves advocated for that only includes them and MS, then those exclusivity agreements can be considered hugely anti-competitive in regions where Sony has a dominant marketshare, i.e. everywhere but the US and UK.

People can't act like this absurd market definition is some fanciful hypothetical. We're already long past that, the FTC's literal regulatory position is that Nintendo and others don't count. Only Sony and MS do. And unless I misunderstood, that's likely the precedent we're working from going forward because no other precedent actually existed prior to this.

Yeah I don't buy that shit at all because they still do to this day. There are a ton of games on Gamepass that were timed exclusives and there was no scrutiny. This is solely because people don't like that Sony is doing it and that's all. It has nothing to do with scrutiny. That is just so dishonest.

Just wanted to add here that I am not being hostile towards you so excuse my language lol.

Pretty sure no one in here is saying that Sony needs to stop doing timed exclusives so that MIcrosoft can pick up the slack lol. Huh?? I think some people are simply pointing out that it would be ironic (and also not in the least bit noble or laudable) if Sony attempting to influence this decision for over a year to prevent a competitor (that is far behind) from catching up via a fairly unambiguously perfectly legal mechanism then causes Sony to face increased scrutiny because the very same practices that it warns against are so similar to the ones it already employs.

Other people are just hoping that the timed exclusivity, third-party exclusivity, and maybe all exclusivity (depending on the person) is curtailed or improved in some ways that are consumer friendly. But I think people would want these to be consistent across all platforms, if possible. And again, it would be ironic if the only reason the opportunity to address these concerns has arisen is that Sony (who is far more reliant on these practices than Xbox) stuck its neck out to try to bite at Xbox.

Completely disagree. Sony is not more reliant on these practices. Microsoft did the exact same thing in the 360 era with Sony and the argument wasn't entirely that they relied on them. That was purely the nature of Sony's mishaps with the PS3 launch and Microsoft FAIRLY capitalizing on that mishap. Bad messaging, hard to program for, awful price, all lead to Sony being beat out the gate with the 360. Terrible online, no party system, getting hacked. All of that was on Sony. Microsoft won that.

Microsoft ends up doing the exact same mishap, Sony capitalized on that and now we have an issue? It's not adding up to me.

What is a consumer-friendly version of timed exclusives? There is no such thing IMO because who is this really satisfying? If a timed exclusive is something that prevents you from playing the game on the system of your choosing, it's not consumer friendly period and no one is going to convince me that taking away something regardless of how you personally feel about the game is somehow "friendly". Adding arbitrary language such as "needing to know the time" changes nothing because there are a lot of timed exclusives announced on both sides that had the times very much stated and people were still upset.

Again, this really comes down to Sony doing it, that the only story I see between these fake lines of people trying to sound neutral on the grounds that they don't want to sound as if they have some sort of bias to one thing or another. Lots of arguments about this have been disingenuous at best and clapping for Microsoft to now acquire full publishers that don't even adhere to a concept of a timed exclusive because they will flat-out be an exclusive is very wild to me.

The point is, timed exclusives have been a thing since the beginning of gaming and the purpose was always to beat the competition at being the first. Now squeezing the argument into something that determines whether or not it causes anti-competition when the entire thing has been a very strong competitive practice is so corny. What's the point of buying a studio? What's the point of renting studios to create games for your system? Aren't these all forms of competition?

Please don't take this comment at me arguing with you specifically. I don't mean it to come off that way and I'm actually being really chill. I'm just generally commenting on the idea that there is room for some sort of silver lining in all of this when I just don't buy that.

the point isn't that sony is doing these deals in general, it's that they're doing it in the japanese market

exclusive dealing and refusal to deal are things... and just because a company is competitive in other regions doesn't make those tactics legal in every region. Global application of exclusivity/blocking is very likely impacting that market. for example, Microsoft not being able to get games that are already available on Xbox on game pass in Japan due to a block is definitely grounds for an anti-trust violation. You have someone with a very strong market share in Japan, especially in the segment that they operate in and are getting an agreement with a supplier to not provide their game to another vendor's service who holds a small market share. Since Nintendo does not offer a multi-game subscription service with the same scope like Microsoft, that would make that globally applied deal harm Microsoft specifically, in a market where they hold a tiny marketshare and therefore makes it illegal. while there is definitely a bit of leeway with exclusives themselves, blocking rights are a whole other kettle of fish.

when a company is unable to make inroads because another company is putting up roadblocks specifically designed for them which prevent them from ever gaining a proper foot hold, that's definitely illegal.

Maybe I'm just a dunce but what exactly is this exclusivity that Sony is pushing that is blocking Microsoft from competing in Japan? From my limited knowledge, the only real studios that Sony has worked with (and has been for years even before an Xbox was a thing) are Capcom, Square, and Sega/Atlus (after transitioning to a publisher)

With the many studios that exist in Japan and over 90% of them working exclusively with Nintendo more than Sony, what hard example of this blocking do we have that Sony is doing to Microsoft? What specific titles are exclusive to Sony that Microsoft can't compete with? because the only example people continue to pull out their backs is Final Fantasy which again, has never been closely aligned with Xbox and Street FIghter which also was not. Same for Persona, and same for Resident Evil etc. Mass Effect wasn't closely aligned with Sony. Neither was the Elder Scrolls series. Neither was the DOOM. COD and Madden wasn't either shockingly.

Sony is not a JRPG machine in Japan nor America either and after all these talks about Sony not investing in Japan and leaving it to die, I am so thoroughly surprised that all of a sudden, the non-existing, non-competitive Sony Japan and now blocking things. Where is this coming from?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Both things can be true, in that it is MS's fault they got to this point but also Sony is being incredibly aggressive, and possibly anti-competetive with timed exclusives with don't allow them to compete as well.

The reverse was true in the 360/PS3 era funny enough, with MS in Sony's position and Sony in MS's position (except with no one buying publishers). Time repeats itself.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Yeah I don't buy that shit at all because they still do to this day. There are a ton of games on Gamepass that were timed exclusives and there was no scrutiny. This is solely because people don't like that Sony is doing it and that's all. It has nothing to do with scrutiny. That is just so dishonest.

Completely disagree. Sony is not more reliant on these practices. Microsoft did the exact same thing in the 360 era with Sony and the argument wasn't entirely that they relied on them. That was purely the nature of Sony's mishaps with the PS3 launch and Microsoft FAIRLY capitalizing on that mishap. Bad messaging, hard to program for, awful price, all lead to Sony being beat out the gate with the 360. Terrible online, no party system, getting hacked. All of that was on Sony. Microsoft won that.

Microsoft ends up doing the exact same mishap, Sony capitalized on that and now we have an issue? It's not adding up to me.

What is a consumer-friendly version of timed exclusives? There is no such thing IMO because who is this really satisfying? If a timed exclusive is something that prevents you from playing the game on the system of your choosing, it's not consumer friendly period and no one is going to convince me that taking away something regardless of how you personally feel about the game is somehow "friendly". Adding arbitrary language such as "needing to know the time" changes nothing because there are a lot of timed exclusives announced on both sides that had the times very much stated and people were still upset.

Again, this really comes down to Sony doing it, that the only story I see between these fake lines of people trying to sound neutral on the grounds that they don't want to sound as if they have some sort of bias to one thing or another. Lots of arguments about this have been disingenuous at best and clapping for Microsoft to now acquire full publishers that don't even adhere to a concept of a timed exclusive because they will flat-out be an exclusive is very wild to me.

The point is, timed exclusives have been a thing since the beginning of gaming and the purpose was always to beat the competition at being the first. Now squeezing the argument into something that determines whether or not it causes anti-competition when the entire thing has been a very strong competitive practice is so corny. What's the point of buying a studio? What's the point of renting studios to create games for your system? Aren't these all forms of competition?

Please don't take this comment at me arguing with you specifically. I don't mean it to come off that way and I'm actually being really chill. I'm just generally commenting on the idea that there is room for some sort of silver lining in all of this when I just don't buy that.

Maybe I'm just a dunce but what exactly is this exclusivity that Sony is pushing that is blocking Microsoft from competing in Japan? From my limited knowledge, the only real studios that Sony has worked with (and has been for years even before an Xbox was a thing) are Capcom, Square, and Sega/Atlus (after transitioning to a publisher)

With the many studios that exist in Japan and over 90% of them working exclusively with Nintendo more than Sony, what hard example of this blocking do we have that Sony is doing to Microsoft? What specific titles are exclusive to Sony that Microsoft can't compete with because the only example people continue to pull out their backs is Final Fantasy which again, has never been closely aligned with Xbox and Street FIghter which also was not. Same for Persona, and same for Resident Evil etc. Mass Effect wasn't closely aligned with Sony. Neither was the Elder Scrolls series. Neither was the DOOM. COD and Madden wasn't either shockingly.

Sony is not a JRPG machine in Japan nor America either and after all these talks about Sony not investing in Japan and leaving it to die, I am so thoroughly surprised that all of a sudden, the non-existing, non-competitive Sony Japan and now blocking things. Where is this coming from?
The exclusivity deals Microsoft does with gamepass are not year plus in length like Sony does. You're talking a couple of months vs 360+ days.

Oct 25, 2017
The exclusivity deals Microsoft does with gamepass are not year plus in length like Sony does. You're talking a couple of months vs 360+ days.

Sony has had deals for a couple of months too and Microsoft has had them for a year length as well that were not exclusive to Gamepass. Let's stop acting like 2020 is the first time Microsoft has done a timed exclusive.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Tinfoil hat time:

Obviously MS is using the full force of their lobbying efforts to invalidate any Sony/Capcom "No Gamepass" contract for when they acquire them.

All joking aside, I wonder what the pie in the sky endgame is here, no more marketing exclusives? What about co-development deals? Or situations where smaller devs just don't have the resources? Perhaps caps on term?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Tinfoil hat time:

Obviously MS is using the full force of their lobbying efforts to invalidate any Sony/Capcom "No Gamepass" contract for when they acquire them.

All joking aside, I wonder what the pie in the sky endgame is here, no more marketing exclusives? What about co-development deals? Or situations where smaller devs just don't have the resources? Perhaps caps on term?

I honestly think this is just because Microsoft wants to buy a Japanese publisher and is making the case easier. Of course they don't want to get rid of third-party exclusives or marketing deals, they still do it; maybe not as much as Sony, but they still have them.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That Japanese efficiency at work; getting it done in two weeks. Not hard to look at that jurisdiction's metrics and see it wouldn't hurt competition lmao

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has had deals for a couple of months too and Microsoft has had them for a year length as well that were not exclusive to Gamepass. Let's stop acting like 2020 is the first time Microsoft has done a timed exclusive.
Have MS made any 1 year or even permanent exclusives with third party's in recent years? Ones that they don't own now, that is. I cant actually remember so I'm curious.

Making a 3-6 month Game Pass deal is a bit different than what Sony does with FF.

Deleted member 133582

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 22, 2023
Battle.net under Microsoft Gaming would give them the perfect excuse: an app that already just works, with millions of players already. No need to use the Windows Store no more, no need to queue with the Windows Store anymore, no need to wait for the Windows update every two years in order to get the features they need. They just need to add Microsoft Accounts, just need to connect it to XboxLive achievement systems, just need to redirect the payment system from ABK accounts to Xbox's. That is a lot of work, probably years worth of dozens of full time devs. But being under Phil's umbrella, they won't have to wait for the Windows team, they can just do it themselves.

Battle.net has such prestige now as a solid and competent launcher. It would be silly for Microsoft not to make B.NET its primarily distribution for PC Game Pass going forward. So I agree. Wonder what they call it, "Battle.Net powered by Game Pass"?

Oct 25, 2017
Have MS made any 1 year or even permanent exclusives with third party's in recent years? Ones that they don't own now, that is. I cant actually remember so I'm curious.

Making a 3-6 month Game Pass deal is a bit different than what Sony does with FF.

This is being said as if for the life of FF, Sony has had year exclusives. FF7 Re is the ONLY game Sony has ever had an exclusive with. Why is this argument being brought up as some practice they've had for every single game?

Dead Rising was exclusive to Microsoft for Years before it finally hit PlayStation. Also Mass Effect.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
As I said in my previous post that you quoted, both things can be true at the same time. Sony can be deserving of its place in the market because they offer a great product AND Sony can possibly be blamed for anti-competitive practices because they may have made moves that hurt its competition. It isn't an excuse for the numerous documented mistakes and failures of Xbox after the 360 era but it shouldn't be brushed aside either just because Microsoft made mistakes.

I think the 360 era is pretty definitive for Xbox outsider status in the industry. Basically, Sony shot themselves in the foot with the PS3, the 360 was a better product and cheaper, Xbox even had the marketing deals that counted and in the end, the PS3 caught the 360 and surpassed it worldwide (while it was pretty close in the Anglophone countries, the Xbox traditional markets)

I am a bit more forgiving in hindsight for the Xbox One/Kinect debacle because the Kinect sold really well, the Wii had stormed out of the gate and it did seem that Xbox trying to compete with Sony in regular console terms always had a bit of inevitability to it; i am less forgiving of the TV TV TV stuff lol but I for one do not think that had the Xbox One just been like the PS4, that we would have seen any further marketshare increase for the Xbox

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
This is being said as if for the life of FF, Sony has had year exclusives. FF7 Re is the ONLY game Sony has ever had an exclusive with. Why is this argument being brought up as some practice they've had for every single game?

Dead Rising was exclusive to Microsoft for Years before it finally hit PlayStation. Also Mass Effect.

To be fair, Dead Rising and the first Mass Effect were published by Microsoft.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Yes, Japan has approved the deal:

Receiving notifications regarding the proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard, Inc. ("Activision Blizzard" headquartered in the U.S.) by Microsoft Corporation (JCN8700150090374) ("Microsoft" headquartered in the U.S.; and Activision Blizzard and Microsoft are hereinafter collectively referred to as the "Parties"), the Japan Fair Trade Commission (hereinafter referred to as the "JFTC") reviewed the transaction and reached the conclusion that the transaction is unlikely to result in substantially restraining competition in any particular fields of trade. Accordingly, the JFTC has notified the Parties that the JFTC will not issue a cease and desist order, resulting in the completion of its review.

- Press release (in English)
- Decision in Japanese (43 pages)
- Decision in English (automatic translation)
- Infographic of the case (in English)

👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that the FTC is irrelevant, I think that they are easier to handle than other regulators (in this acquisition).

In any case, if the FTC is in the mood for a fight, they can delay things quite a bit.

What I'm expecting:

- Decisions from the majority of smaller regulators in 3-5 weeks (almost all of them will be approvals without remedies).

- Decisions from the CMA, EC and SAMR in late April - early May. The CMA is still the main obstacle there, but things look easier now.

- If everyone approves it, I think that MS will offer the same remedies to the FTC to sign a consent decree and be done with this merger by late June. An interesting topic is what remedies MS would offer, because if the CMA and EC approve the deal, the issues about the console market are non existent. But the FTC had concerns about the console, subscription services and cloud gaming markets. So, does MS offer remedies to the FTC only about cloud gaming or the rest too?

- Then the big question mark: the FTC accepts the remedies or rejects them and goes to court? Yesterday, Lisa Khan said that bad precedent is better than non precedent at all. Was the bad precedent from the Meta case enough or they need more?

Important to remember that the FTC Staff didn't recommend to challenge the Meta case, but Khan overruled them and went ahead. Something similar could happen here, I guess.

The idea is that even if the FTC has potentially a weak case, if they are in the mood for more "bad precedent", we are going to be here until late 2023 - early 2024. Meanwhile, MS will need to change the merger agreement to close the deal without them (the approval from the FTC is a requirement to close the deal).

So, the FTC is not a huge obstacle in theory, but they are not irrelevant because they can delay the whole process 6-9 extra months. Of course, those extra months would provide more insights about the industry and the case.

We'll see what's happens.
Not that I really care about money if corporations and whatnot but it does seem like an expensive endeavor if every other country approved it and they make it drag on for that much longer.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Of course they have. Also not sure why you are saying the Gamepass deals are different they are still timed exclusive.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

Just wanted to add here that I am not being hostile towards you so excuse my language lol.

With the many studios that exist in Japan and over 90% of them working exclusively with Nintendo more than Sony, what hard example of this blocking do we have that Sony is doing to Microsoft? What specific titles are exclusive to Sony that Microsoft can't compete with? because the only example people continue to pull out their backs is Final Fantasy which again, has never been closely aligned with Xbox and Street FIghter which also was not. Same for Persona, and same for Resident Evil etc. Mass Effect wasn't closely aligned with Sony. Neither was the Elder Scrolls series. Neither was the DOOM. COD and Madden wasn't either shockingly.

In short, I think you need to learn to dispel the notion that because one competitor does something in a market, it's equivalent to another competitor doing the same. We have rules to protect against monopolies, because the simple fact is that once in a dominant position, actions that previously make sense to be competitive become anticompetitive when used to target smaller players in a market.

We can talk about all the mistakes MS' competitors made over the years in the OS market leading to Windows being dominant. Good job, well done Microsoft, you now have the overwhelmingly dominant product. However, now that means Microsoft simply is not allowed to do many things with Windows that a smaller player like say Valve is absolutely allowed to do with SteamOS. Because certain actions will make SteamOS more competitive, but the same actions by Windows would simply be to stamp SteamOS out of existence.

Hopefully this helps you understand why something like signing exclusivity deals can increase competition in the market for one player when they have a marginal market position, but can lessen competition when a dominant player is using them to target their smaller competition.

There is no "one size fits all" rule that works by removing the context of the disparity of marketshare and market power between competitors. At some point a dominant player has to be reeled in, because the nature of capitalism makes it easier to pull away the further ahead you are. Capitalism basically relies on a blue shell existing to protect consumers against there only being a single viable option.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
Wouldn't it be fair to say that Microsoft helped those games lift off the ground so by right those games should be exclusive?

That's what I'm getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong here, FF7 Remake is developed and published by Square Enix so PlayStation is paying for exclusivity. I don't think it's a direct comparison to Dead Rising and Mass Effect since they fall under first party (at the time) for Microsoft. Mass Effect finally made it to PlayStation after BioWare was bought by EA.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Of course they have. Also not sure why you are saying the Gamepass deals are different they are still timed exclusive.
You don't know the difference between a 3-6 month exclusive vs longer than a year exclusive?

It's not the same thing, one thing you can wait for, the other can pretty much be forgotten unless it one day goes to gamepass.

Oct 25, 2017
In short, I think you need to learn to dispel the notion that because one competitor does something in a market, it's equivalent to another competitor doing the same. We have rules to protect against monopolies, because the simple fact is that once in a dominant position, actions that previously make sense to be competitive become anticompetitive when used to target smaller players in a market.

We can talk about all the mistake MS' competitors made over the years in the OS market leading to Windows being dominant. Good job, well done Microsoft, you now have the overwhelmingly dominant product. However, now that means Microsoft simply is not allowed to do many things with Windows that a smaller player like say Valve is absolutely allowed to so with SteamOS. Because certain actions will make SteamOS more competitive, but the same actions by Windows would simply be to stamp SteamOS out of existence.

Hopefully this helps you understand why something like signing exclusivity deals can increase competition in the market for one player when they have a marginal market position, but can lessen competition when a dominant player is using them to target their smaller competition.

There is no "one size fits all" rule that works by removing the context of the disparity of marketshare and market power between competitors. At some point a dominant player has to be reeled in, because the nature of capitalism makes it easier to pull away the further ahead you are. Capitalism basically relies on a blue shell existing to protect consumers against the only being a single viable option.

I disagree.

ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING can change the landscape of market share that has nothing to do with someone's dominant position. See Google and the current rise of ChatGPT. Acting as if, regulating one competitor over the other because the other one feels like the other isn't being fair because they have personally lost their way is now bullshit IMO (non hostile language here).

Tencent and Embracer threaten everyone's position but it's not like Microsoft is pointing to them stopping them from competing. They use them as their argument to acquire. But use Sony as solely the reason they can't catch up because Sony is just too good at forging better relationships.

Microsoft isn't small and knows what it means to be dominant and they know that upping the anti to making sure they make the right investments to keep their position is actually the strategy that is needed. They've lost many times with Bing and made the investment to compete.

Them now making this petty argument with Sony is dishonest because they are trying to swing at them for a tactic that they know is fair given their own market position in another market, but hoping that gullible people will latch on to the absurdity of it all.

I can't believe people can't see this...

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020

It's always amusing to watch how badly people mis-interpret things. Like we actually live in some Utopia where "just make the best product and you will win" is a real thing and just ignores over 100 years in the US of larger players using their monopoly power to supress other players in the field. People make their entire career over debating and litigating this.......but now we know they should just make a better product.....
MS has made tons of mis-steps, and a lot of their struggles are their own fault. But to somehow pretend that "just making a better product" solves this issue is lunacy.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
You don't know the difference between a 3-6 month exclusive vs longer than a year exclusive?

It's not the same thing, one thing you can wait for, the other can pretty much be forgotten unless it one day goes to gamepass.
FF7 is the only game with such an uncertain exclusivity. The rest have all been clear cut like the ones yall are talking about. Also MS is sticking to 3-6 month because they are launching them in Gamepass which is way more expensive then just a marketing deal or exclusivity.

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong here, FF7 Remake is developed and published by Square Enix so PlayStation is paying for exclusivity. I don't think it's a direct comparison to Dead Rising and Mass Effect since they fall under first party (at the time) for Microsoft. Mass Effect finally made it to PlayStation after BioWare was bought by EA.

I have to do my research so I admit I may be talking out of text here, but I remember FF7 Remake being something that Square directly worked with Sony on, as in Sony put money into the project not to just make it an exclusive but to give them the tools to make it faster than they were originally scoped out to be. Of course, those tools were to make it better on PlayStation but considering they invested in the project, I don't see the issue here.

Sony was ready to invest in Starfield and Microsoft came in and instead took the whole pie. Now Sony is left gagged because they weren't expecting that. Microsoft isn't wrong for doing it, but the intention here is to completely remove period.

Sony not buying Square still leaves a game that Xbox users are still anticipating, to come to the Xbox....So I need to understand now.....What is the issue? Time is not a valid excuse to me.

And then we get on to the current subject....So fine, Sony has one single game with Square that had an ambiguous timed exclusitivty window and now we should look at how Sony uses it's dominant position in Japan to block Microsoft....Ok....

So...what's the end game here? That because of this, Microsoft should be able to waltz right into Japan and buy Square, Capcom, Sega etc etc because Sony was oh so aggressive in keeping FF that now they must feel! the consequences of their actions?

All these conversations do is expose that people don't want parity. They still underneath it all, and want the other competitor to have their way no matter how forceful because of "market position".

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think just making a better product is the solution, we've seen the 360 and PS3 gen where Microsoft had the more compelling product compared to Sony's $600 machine for many years and Sony's console was missing key titles yet Sony's console still outsold the 360 each year it was on the market. If simply making a better product actually worked the PS3 would have sold substantially less than the 360.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
funny that ms is on the verge of purchasing a company that's 2/3rds the size of Sony by market cap in addition to recently buying Bethesda but the narrative is about what is Sony doing to harm MS lol It's so wacky and far from truth when MS have made so many mistakes over the years and they own way more studios than Sony. If you have a compelling product Japanese consumers will purchase your product. Just look at apple
This reads like a genki tweet A

And B there's a difference in market forces on an acquisition deal and regulators and all that and what this is which is A TRADE DISPUTE. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here

This isn't about ABK at all it is about an interpretation of a trade agreement the USA and Japan signed in 2019 and some US politicians arguing companies in their home states are not being effectively protected by the terms of that trade deal

One hand isn't working with the other here, the government is walking and chewing gum

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Wouldn't it be fair to say that Microsoft helped those games lift off the ground so by right those games should be exclusive?

Those were both new IP and BioWare was independent at time. Also all these examples of Xbox being just as bad PS were 15+ years ago. Ghostwire Tokyo still isn't on Xbox. I'm positive if the acquisition didn't happen, those games may never have come to Xbox.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think just making a better product is the solution, we've seen the 360 and PS3 gen where Microsoft had the more compelling product compared to Sony's $600 machine for many years and Sony's console was missing key titles yet Sony's console still outsold the 360 each year it was on the market. If simply making a better product actually worked the PS3 would have sold substantially less than the 360.
People really do forget that a lot of PS3's sales came from regions Xbox was either not available in or wasn't a more compelling product due to lack of Xbox Live whereas PSN was available there.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
FF7 is the only game with such an uncertain exclusivity. The rest have all been clear cut like the ones yall are talking about. Also MS is sticking to 3-6 month because they are launching them in Gamepass which is way more expensive then just a marketing deal or exclusivity.
The new mainline final fantasy I'm sure will be the next uncertain one.

KOTOR, will probably be another. Forspoken? Another, I believe the exclusivity on that one is even longer.

These are big budget games compared to these exclusive indies gamepass gets.

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518

KOTOR, will probably be another. Forspoken? Another, I believe the exclusivity on that one is even longer.

TBF KOTOR is kinda in limbo considering they essentially had to hard restart iirc

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

The lead designer on KOTOR already publicly stated it is a timed exclusive. It is coming to Xbox. Forspoken was announced as a 2 year exclusive. The only reason it wouldn't come to Xbox is if it was a such a sales failure that SE doesn't want to pay for the port and MS doesn't care to either.

Not sure I would call Stalker 2, ARK2, and Darktide small indie exclusives since they will probably sale more then FFVII and FFXVI.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Better product?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING can change the landscape of market share that has nothing to do with someone's dominant position. See Google and the current rise of ChatGPT. Acting as if, regulating one competitor over the other because the other one feels like the other isn't being fair because they have personally lost their way is now bullshit IMO (non hostile language here).

Tencent and Embracer threaten everyone's position but it's not like Microsoft is pointing to them stopping them from competing. They use them as their argument to acquire. But use Sony as solely the reason they can't catch up because Sony is just too good at forging better relationships.

Microsoft isn't small and knows what it means to be dominant and they know that upping the anti to making sure they make the right investments to keep their position is actually the strategy that is needed. They've lost many times with Bing and made the investment to compete.

Them now making this petty argument with Sony is dishonest because they are trying to swing at them for a tactic that they know is fair given their own market position in another market, but hoping that gullible people will latch on to the absurdity of it all.

Aren't you the one arguing based on feeling?

Marketshare is a key component of market analysis and one of several key metrics regulators look at when taking enforcement actions.

Market leaders stamping out competition by entering into deals that deny other market participants from accessing the inputs needed to successfully operate is one of the main reason anti-trust laws exist.

So, as "disingenuous" as the argument is that Sony imposed lack of access is meaningfully contributing to Xbox' woes in Japan, the practice of paying companies to deny Xbox access is quite literally anti-competitive behavior- especially if one subscribes to the market definitions that Sony has pushed.

Oct 25, 2017

Forspoken Sony paid for. Rightfully they should be able to have exclusivity on that alone or are we now changing the rules on this?

KOTOR is an assumption.

Wait wait wait, people stated that they wanted better communication and transparency around timed exclusives so Square has already said and perfectly communicated why Xbox is going to get the game later....or is that not enough?

Stop changing the "type" of game because the argument is bad faith. If timed exclusives are BAD, then ALL GAMES regardless of budget, AAA down to indies, are BAD too.

A timed exclusive is a timed exclusive regardless of how you feel about said game. One does not make the other okay. Be consistent yall.

Let's stop making exceptions for things that we are 100% passionate about, that needs to stop on a whole, to keep things consumer friendly.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree.

I gave you an example regarding Windows. That was picked specifically because I do know that Microsoft has had and wielded an unassailable market advantage against smaller competitors in the past. And by smaller I specifically mean within their market segment, so Apple is still smaller for desktop OS, even if bigger than MS overall.

With the logic you're employing, it should be fair game for MS to consistently take actions to thwart the likes of SteamOS, or MacOS, or ChromeOS etc, because if MS was making deals that suppressed them, it would just be Valve etc being "in their feels" to complain, because they're not so good at at forging "better relationships".

Antitrust law doesn't give a shit quite frankly if you feel Sony now deserves to lead the console market until the end of time because they made good choices once upon a time. A dominant market player is not treated the same as a marginal one, in any competitive industry, ever. And they shouldn't be... because that sort of naive idealistic view of "fair" destroys competition and harms us as users. Martket dominance cascades. There's nothing "gullible" about realising and acknowledging that, even when it applies to your favored brand.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
If Sonys product is better why do they need to pay to keep FF, Silent Hill and other products off or Xbox. Why the exclusives quest lines and exclusion of Game Pass clauses if people would buy the PlayStation version regardless? These games are sold world wide.

Regarding the exclusion of Game Pass Clauses,
Its worth noting that those are part of the marketing deals (As it was with re8) i kinda think it makes sense to add a clause like that when you are already paying to promote a game on your plataform, otherwise you would be basically be promoting a competing service.

Whether console-holders should have marketing rights for big third-party games is a different matter, though

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I gave you an example regarding Windows. That was picked specifically because I do know that Microsoft has had and wielded an unassailable market advantage against smaller competitors in the past. And by smaller I specifically mean within their market segment, so Apple is still smaller for desktop OS, even if bigger than MS overall.

With the logic you're employing, it should be fair game for MS to consistently take actions to thwart the likes of SteamOS, or MacOS, or ChromeOS etc, because if MS was making deals that suppressed them, it would just be Valve etc being "in their feels" to complain, because they're not so good at at forging "better relationships".

Antitrust law doesn't give a shit quite frankly if you feel Sony now deserves to lead the console market until the end of time because they made good choices once upon a time. A dominant market player is not treated the same as a marginal one, in any competitive industry, ever. And they shouldn't be... because that sort of naive idealistic view of "fair" destroys competition and harms us as users. Martket dominance cascades. There's nothing "gullible" about realising and acknowledging that, even when it applies to your favored brand.
Are we really going to argue that Sony is the sole market leader. I thought everyone in here has spent months laughing at the FTC trying to cut out Nintendo. Nintendo is probably the leading console at the moment and actually gets more Japanese exclusives the Sony.