• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm planning to watch them all soon and I have only seen the first and second films. I hated 2 at the time and I think that put me off the entire series for years but after hearing good things about everything after the second film I'm willing to give them a go.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Sad I didn't see this thread as it happened, as I just rewatched them all (with my wife, who had never seen any).

Mission Impossible is a mess in certain respects (the cut content really hurts it) but probably the most beautiful visually of the entire series. De Palma was really putting in work. The Langley scene is obviously a masterpiece.

Mission Impossible 2 is maligned for no reason. IMO it's late Hollywood mania is perfect for the series. John Woo was trying to destroy the series and rebuild it from the ground up. I get why people didn't like it, but you can watch the latest Fast and Furious movies and they totally owe a lot to this. The Chimera plot isn't perfect (though I assume the rumored 3 hour cut would expand a lot on it) but it's one of the only coherent villain plots in the entire series. I mean, we all love Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but his motivations are a lot less clear at the end of the day.

Mission Impossible 3 is the first time the series feels truly "dark". I do like the setpieces (the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel sequence in particular) but the constant turns and twists don't really work, and the ending feels very flat. As much as I love PSH as Owen Davian, he really doesn't get as much screentime as he should. He's a great villain and all but I think maybe this movie is a tad overrated because of the fact that he's one of the only good villains in the franchise.

Oct 30, 2017
i'd only ever watched 1 and 2 before. recently saw 3 and thought it was fantastic, but just watched ghost protocol and was kind of eh on it. it was mostly good but there is some extremely bad CGI, which i didn't expect from a 2011 tom cruise movie, and the action felt a lot more contrived than in 3. also it really could've used a PSH-tier bad guy.

looking forward to rogue nation next, though, which by all accounts is awesome.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I still hate the first movie for what it did to Jim Phelps' character.

Oct 26, 2017
Rogue Nation was a lot better for me with a second viewing. I've now seen them all again and I'm ready for MI6 tomorrow. I find all the movies still very enjoyable. Philip Seymour Hoffman is still awesome in 3 and the baddy in 5 is still a creep. Well done villain.

Does Tom really do most of those stunts? Except of course hang on that tower in Dubai and a few other things, haha.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched them all last and this week. Outside of Mission Impossible II, I like them all a lot. It's funny to see how much Mission Impossible changed over the years and only really found it's own thing with Ghost Protocol.

Mission Impossible II is funny as hell. The late 90's/early 00's aesthetics, the silly one liners ("This is not Mission: Difficult, Mr. Hunt, it's Mission: Impossible"), the ridiculous slow-motion and the awkward attempt to change Ethan Hunt into some sort of James Bond-esque lady killer are all hilarious *insert Limp Bizkit song and slow-mo shot of doves flying away*

Does Tom really do most of those stunts? Except of course hang on that tower in Dubai and a few other things, haha.
Tom Cruise did the Dubai tower

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from Fallout. Fantastic, loved it!! So just like you guys I recently watched them all and at this moment I would say Fallout is the best one yet. I'm impressed that after five movies and it still so damn good, this good! Not many long lasting franchises, well except of course for 007. Speaking of which, I want to see a new 007 movie this good. During the re-watch of all the MI movies I realized how similar it really is to Bond.

But Bond needs to get back on track.

Oct 28, 2017
I watched MI3 last night. Honestly, this movie is awful. Relentless, non-stop action. Movie jumps from locale to locale and set piece to set piece without any real connective tissue. Cringey dialog close-ups of Cruise crying and crying ... I mean, the dude even started tearing up in his first interrogation with Davian. It's like JJ only has one speed and that's always go go go! The romance angle felt overly saccharine. His wife turns into an action hero and expert marksman in a matter of minutes in the final shootout. I really, really didn't like this movie. Hollywood pablum.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember which one was our Mission Impossible rewatch thread, but this one has the most pages and had the latest post entry.

---

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Just finished Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation for the first time. Lackluster villain. The Syndicate and their plan was alright, and so was IMF's and CIA's. I liked the opera scene, when they all had a shot at the chancellor. There was a lack of truly incredible set pieces, and the airplane stunt was kind of disappointing. It came instantly instead of being built up like the main stunt in Ghost Protocol was. And nothing after that came close. To me, Rebecca Ferguson really carried this film. She got so much to do, got some great fights in there, and was awesome on the bike. It was a fun chase scene. Rogue Nation was a decent action flick. Below Ghost Protocol and Mission Impossible 3 for me. Above the rest. It just wasn't that interesting.

I might check out Fallout now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can't remember which one was our Mission Impossible rewatch thread, but this one has the most pages and had the latest post entry.

---

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Just finished Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation for the first time. Lackluster villain. The Syndicate and their plan was alright, and so was IMF's and CIA's. I liked the opera scene, when they all had a shot at the chancellor. There was a lack of truly incredible set pieces, and the airplane stunt was kind of disappointing. It came instantly instead of being built up like the main stunt in Ghost Protocol was. And nothing after that came close. To me, Rebecca Ferguson really carried this film. She got so much to do, got some great fights in there, and was awesome on the bike. It was a fun chase scene. Rogue Nation was a decent action flick. Below Ghost Protocol and Mission Impossible 3 for me. Above the rest. It just wasn't that interesting.

I might check out Fallout now.

You should! Ferguson's dopeness extends further.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On rewatch MI2 is just as silly and entertaining as always. From the moment Ethan tosses the sunglasses at the beginning, you know it's going to be nothing like the prior film.

P.S. I liked how the movie begins with a cliffhanger (sly smile)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
You should! Ferguson's dopeness extends further.
Yeah, so I actually just finished Mission Impossible: Fallout. I didn't expect to like it as much as I ended up doing.

Just the first 30 minutes were better than the entirety of Rogue Nation. I loved the intro, and the extraction of plutonium going bad in the tunnel. It was good to get a look into Julia this movie. I also loved Ilsa Faust's role in all of this. Solomon Lane was better than in RN and more threatening. The whole plot was with how IMF needed to execute their plan. So much good action sprinkled across the entire film. Hard hitting punches and fights. Henry Cavill was a great addition, and I thought the plot worked for what it was. Some stunning scenes too. Just having Tom Cruise lying on a bed with a red flare light in the first ten minutes looked amazing. The airplane jump. The motorcycle chase in Paris. The helicopter part. The fight in the bathroom. So much of this was amazing.

1. Mission Impossible: Fallout
2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
3. Mission Impossible III
4. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
5. Mission Impossible
6. Mission Impossible II