• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if broken is the right term, but the game let you do a lot, like A LOT. There were times I felt like I did more damage during the CPU's turn than during my own.

Mario and Luigi had the super sight ability that you got to use MULTIPLE times so if an enemy was in both their field of view, they would just take turns shooting and the camera would be turning back and forth. Not to mention the sight of Luigi holding a sniper rifle.

Rabbid Luigi sucked health running into multiple enemies in a single turn and THEN I got to shoot them.

Rabbid Mario causes AOE explosions on contact and could run into multiple enemies. So imagine a bunch of sponges standing in a group and RM runs around three of them causing an AOE explosion EACH TIME hitting everyone and then when you're done, you can just shotgun them to death, not to mention he's really fucking strong so that was just overkill.

That is by far the most FUN I've ever had in a tactical RPG. But then despite all that, the game was still challenging with the occasional spike.

I always liked Fire Emblem more for story and characters than gameplay, but like compared to this, looking at the Three Houses which I'll probably buy, I'm kind of like "well, what do you do that's special?"

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Not sure if broken is the right term, but the game let you do a lot, like A LOT. There were times I felt like I did more damage during the CPU's turn than during my own.

Mario and Luigi had the super sight ability that you got to use MULTIPLE times so if an enemy was in both their field of view, they would just take turns shooting and the camera would be turning back and forth. Not to mention the sight of Luigi holding a sniper rifle.

Rabbid Luigi sucked health running into multiple enemies in a single turn and THEN I got to shoot them.

Rabbid Mario causes AOE explosions on contact and could run into multiple enemies. So imagine a bunch of sponges standing in a group and RM runs around three of them causing an AOE explosion EACH TIME hitting everyone and then when you're done, you can just shotgun them to death, not to mention he's really fucking strong so that was just overkill.

That is by far the most FUN I've ever had in a tactical RPG. But then despite all that, the game was still challenging with the occasional spike.

I always liked Fire Emblem more for story and characters than gameplay, but like compared to this, looking at the Three Houses which I'll probably buy, I'm kind of like "well, what do you do that's special?"

It's without a doubt the best Xcom game on consoles. It doesn't run like utter dogshit, it's funny, the graphics are charming and colorful, the characters have personality, the combat is fun without ever feel cheap, no 99% missing 5 times in a row, etc.

It's a terrific game and everyone who owns a switch should grab the gold edition because the Donkey Kong dlc is also great somehow.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been meaning to start the DLC, but I keep getting distracted by other things. I think I did the first two maps, gotta get used to DK and Cranky.

ThatRebel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I should give the game another go. I played it awhile back and really liked the idea, but then it felt like I hit a wall. Somewhere around the piranha boss. Can't remember if I ever beat him or not.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Mario + Rabbids is the surprise game of the year for me. Got it on sale not expecting much, but it's SO MUCH FUN. Not only that, the visual design work on all of the levels is outstanding. Dare I say that Nintendo themselves couldn't design a prettier looking Mushroom Kingdom.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it actually made me like tactical RPGs. Such a fun game. Wish we'd get a sequel that doubles down on the Mario-ness and backs off on the Rabbid-ness.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
You summed up why it was do addictive to me in the first place. I really need to get the Donkey Kong DLC at some point.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its the best strategy game ever made! funny, pretty graphics, Mario and Luigi kill enemies on their turn, Peach Rabbid heals like mad,good variety of bosses and enemies

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Rabbid Luigi was a beast

The game had some really fun/crazy stuff. I know people like the genre to be tough but it was great to play an entry that leaned a little more into the fun.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for a sequel next year. I never play those kind of games, but I gave this one a try and loved it. The Ubisoft put their hearts into in and Grant Kirkhope was great.

Oct 25, 2017
The character build options that you had would let you feel like you broke the game if you built out right, which is what I think you're talking about, and I agree with you that it was really satisfying to be able to play offensively even while on defense.

Also, just the sheer amount of movement that you could complete in one turn was a source of satisfaction. Using strategic jumps off of allies and enemies to make your way across the map and complete whatever objective that looked impossible to get to at first was also one of the more deeply satisfying aspects of the game.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
The only bummer is when you were faced with enemies that you couldn't use your broken strategies with. Not that it's a bad thing per se; it forced me to play and change things. But man, did it feel great just steamrolling through some scenarios in one or two turns.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I remember on one map, I had to kill a certain amount of enemies. I lost everyone except Mario and I just needed to kill one more enemy. I ended up surrounded and got killed, but another enemy was standing next to me got killed also and I won the map.

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a pretty hardcore fan of tactical games, it's by far my favorite genre
My top 5 games of all time might have JA2 and the first Xcom in it

But after so many years, I was baffled by how Mario x Rabbids succeeded to bring his own twist to the genre
I love the focus on movement and how the main mechanics feel like a puzzle/chess game.

Bobo Dakes
Reading what you loved in the game, I think you definitely should take a look at "Into the Breach"

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the movement options was what made it so fun. It wanted you to move alot and move aggressively.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's a really great game, but I just missed some more depth to the game outside of the battles themselves. I didn't really like the map exploration aspect and it made me miss the strategic layer in XCOM.

Oct 27, 2017
Wrapped up the campaign last night, never extra health, perfects on all challenges, haven't done ultra yet. Nothing broken about it, I was able to do all the first two worlds and their challenges, and almost all of the third world without buying a weapon. The skill tree is just fantastic. Have to buy weapons if you want the "perfect" ratings, though, in late game.

Near the end I was rolling with an "all-damage" trio of Mario, Rabbid Mario, and Rabbid Yoshi. One-turn smackdowns were a joy to set up. I was even able to do those "reach areas" challenges with them. Never touched Luigi or Yoshi, so there's like another brand-new half-game run waiting for me should I want to do another run.

Will get the DLC at some point, game is just too good.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Rabbid Luigi is kinda broken, but that's why he's the homie. Even then, some of the stuff they throw at you is so tough that it almost cancels out the absurd power that some of these characters have.

This game made me like tactical RPGs, so I have it to thank for that, five XCOM campaigns later.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
What i liked about this game is the ability to use any character whenever you wanted and however you wanted you could pick any set of skills for any character to fit your neeeds for every specific battle with no penalty,in a way it completetly invalidates the replay value compared to other Startegy games but since this one more focused on adventure and puzzles it fits better like that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I really loved the game. You just reminded me I need the dlc... well when I have the budget xd

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. The rabbids are terribly unfunny but the game remains 10/10 charming and captures the mario game magic.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What you say is true. It's really awesome that you are actually extremely powerful, but full utilization of your power requires a lot of careful thought.

Positioning everyone and using the right powerups to get Rabbid Luigi to slide into everyone and steal their health, strategically making a powerful enemy fly in the air so that it triggers Mario and Luigi's "overwatch" ability multiple times on it, using Rabbid Mario's extremely powerful shotgun or hammer on a row of enemies...

It takes strategy to set up these powerful plays, but once you do, it feels so good.

Apr 21, 2018
I should really pick this up again. I really enjoyed the first 3 worlds, I just got busy with other things and new games came out and it kind of fell to the wayside - but it really is excellent.

I will get around to it and the DLC one of these days...

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Odd seeing "Best Strategy Ever" posts when the OP states why it's broken. lol

edit: broken is a bad word choice. just a few exploits

It is really fun though as XCOM lite. If you loved this and haven't tried XCOM get the heck on it.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
It's an amazing game. I really hope they are working on a new one. I don't care if it's with another Nintendo IP, but I need more of this strategy on Switch.

Love the graphics and the music. The UI, though, felt kind of cheap. But the rest of the presentation was really good.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Wrapped up the campaign last night, never extra health, perfects on all challenges, haven't done ultra yet. Nothing broken about it, I was able to do all the first two worlds and their challenges, and almost all of the third world without buying a weapon. The skill tree is just fantastic. Have to buy weapons if you want the "perfect" ratings, though, in late game.

Near the end I was rolling with an "all-damage" trio of Mario, Rabbid Mario, and Rabbid Yoshi. One-turn smackdowns were a joy to set up. I was even able to do those "reach areas" challenges with them. Never touched Luigi or Yoshi, so there's like another brand-new half-game run waiting for me should I want to do another run.

You didn't get any new weapons? The starting weapons you get are atrocious even going into World 2. None of them even come equipped with statuses they can inflict!

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
Sounds like you would love the dlc, Rabbid Cranky feels kinda "broken" in that good way too, and DK is awesome to control, there is a mission where you can do like two full laps of the map in one turn.

Also, you should all try the community challenges, Summer Season just started.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

That's really incredible to me or I suck at this game tremendously because I'm trying to upgrade aad much as I can and still can't beat the opera boss

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I should give the game another go. I played it awhile back and really liked the idea, but then it felt like I hit a wall. Somewhere around the piranha boss. Can't remember if I ever beat him or not.

Same here, I think I stopped just after that cause Mario Odyessey came out and I decided 100% BotW instead

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
OP i think you just sold me on this game. I had a pretty bad and rough time with XCOM when it was free for ps plus users. So i may give this a shot.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
There's some really satisfying maneuvers you can pull off towards the end of the game.

So good. I really need to nab the DLC someday. Wish it went on sale.

Easily my favorite Switch game to date and I dunno if it will ever be dethroned. Anxious to see a sequel or whatever the team at Ubisoft is working on next.

Last edited:

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Love this game. Am desperately hoping a second one is not only in dev, but coming out soonish

Oct 27, 2017
That's really incredible to me or I suck at this game tremendously because I'm trying to upgrade aad much as I can and still can't beat the opera boss
I had to buy weapons for Mario at that point. I though I was going to really need go hoard coins, but by the time I finished the campaign and most of the challenges I had 70k in surplus coins, far more than enough to buy the best weapons for everyone.