• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The negativity of Keita Takahashi
The developer behind Wattam and Katamari Damacy has spent his career trying to show the potential of games, but doesn't think he's been successful
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-05-the-negativity-of-keita-takahashi

Takahashi said his goal with Katamari was to show players and publishers alike that games could be different, that they could evoke different feelings and moods compared to the hits of the day. While Katamari wound up a critical and commercial success, Takahashi was unwilling to declare it a personal one.

"I don't know if it was a success," he said. "I know Katamari made some people happy, but maybe just a small amount of people, not like a AAA title with a million billion people. Not like a Fortnite or a GTA, blah blah blah. I don't think I made change [in the industry], or just not enough."

With Wattam, Takahashi is still trying to change the way people think about games, but that's a tall order, and the creator seems almost resigned to falling short of that goal.

"I'm not optimistic," he said. "For me, it's still not changing. It's still the same."

"It's never changing," he said. "It's always like that. Because I'm trying to go against the current trend of game we have right now. You know, shooters or fighting games. They never change, but almost all people love that kind of game, which I understand. Shooting or fighting is kind of fun. But as a game designer, that's kind of sad, because we couldn't provide a different perspective for the player. I understand fighting is fun, but this is a different perspective of fun. I still believe games are a very unique media, which is interactive, has music and vision, can provide you with a more emotional story. But we still provide the player a very tiny, small perspective of life experience."

More at the link.

d61iZ24.png

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe nobi nobi boy wasn't the most fun experience, but me and the girlfriend still pop in Katamari to this day. That game has given us literally decades of happiness. I don't think this guy has anything to be ashamed of.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Katamari Damacy is one of my favorite games of all time, it sucks that he doesn't seem to think it was a success.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Katamari Damacy was a game I championed, even while getting confused looks from my friends.

I've played and re-played Damacy and We Love Katamari so much

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can see where he's coming from. Especially looking at the market for games aimed at children, there is almost no games that allows for children to set their minds ablaze, to experiment on things. They are almost immediately thrown into the blender of GTA and the likes, of shooters or whatever comes up that is the hot new fad.

Keita's Wattam is a game that is trying to bring joy, but joy isn't a selling point.

Oct 25, 2017
If reaching GTA or Fornite is the metric for success and being accepted by the public, then it's not even about shooting or fighting anymore, it's about being GTA or Fornite. Nothing else comes close to them, no matter how much shooting and fighting you can do in the game.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Katamari Damacy is timeless. I wish he wasn't down on himself. He created one of the greatest games in the history of the hobby. One that deserves to be ported every generation.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can see where he's coming from. Especially looking at the market for games aimed at children, there is almost no games that allows for children to set their minds ablaze, to experiment on things. They are almost immediately thrown into the blender of GTA and the likes, of shooters or whatever comes up that is the hot new fad.

Keita's Wattam is a game that is trying to bring joy, but joy isn't a selling point.

Some of the most popular if not the most popular games among kids as far as I can tell are Minecraft and Roblox, which are very much games designed to do just that.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember snagging the only copy of Katamari Damacy my EB Games had ordered. Honestly one of the best games I've ever, ever played. It's pure fun. I admire this guy's work so much. I guess it's true that artists are usually their harshest critics.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the most popular if not the most popular games among kids as far as I can tell are Minecraft and Roblox, which are very much games designed to do just that.

It's true I should have mentioned that, but it's not enough and it's not indicative of a wider market that allows for experiment. More of a breakout success than anything

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Katamari is one of the few games of the 21st century where I can't really discern what the inspiration for it was. He should take more pride in it; you're very unlikely to ever reach huge numbers with a weird ass game like that anyway.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Thing is... for the people that are looking for unique, fun, different perspective and life experiences Katamari is a shiny idol atop a sunny hill.

For everybody else... most people are not looking for any form of introspective experiences in gaming, what they desire is "Whatever man i just wanna shoot/punch some dudes in the face" .

Same thing with movies, a lot of the people that talk, think, discuss movies will tell you that Transformers as a franchise is a huge trashfire. but the much larger general audience will tell you "whatever man i just wanna see cool car robots blowing shit up".

So... yeah, his perspective there is not one of "i want to show that unique fun experiences in gaming can be profitable and enjoyable to a larger extent" it sounds more like "I want to change how humankind views fun" which... yeah... not gonna happen.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I remember reading that back when he created Katamari, he did so, because his boss tell him to create something that excited him as he was pretty un-excited about games in general. And yeah, Kieta has kept that idea so far. If it's something Keita, Katamari Damacy was something incredible and even my brother wanted to play with me in the sequel.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading that back when he created Katamari, he did so, because his boss tell him to create something that excited him as he was pretty un-excited about games in general. And yeah, Kieta has kept that idea so far. If it's something Keita, Katamari Damacy was something incredible and even my brother wanted to play with me in the sequel.

He's retired from game making a few times after Katamari, too. He has a complex relationship with his craft.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that story is in that article too:
"Before I joined Namco, I didn't have any computer or game console," Takahashi said. "At art college, I studied sculpture. Then somehow I joined the game industry. I was an artist, not a game designer, when I joined Namco. But I was thinking I should make a video game, because this is a video game company. Also, the boss who hired me believed I had a good talent to make a video game. My boss told me, 'Hey Keita, you should think about your idea for a new game, because the [existing] games are so boring.' And I agreed."

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish this game got an HD remaster. Was a HUGE influence on me back in the day.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
If he'd make a new Katamari I'd buy it in a heartbeat. They were my jam.
he didnt even want to make the second one, iirc
Yeah, lol:
GC: So what did you think when Katamari Damacy became a hit and they wanted all these sequels? And you became a corporate stooge?
KT: [laughs] The biggest reason why I made Katamari was because all games are very similar and boring. So many sequels, sequels, sequels. So I wanted to make something new and then after I finished Katamari, Namco wanted me to make a sequel. But that's… you know… [laughs]

Source.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Yeah, that story is in that article too:

Yeah, I started reading that part exactly after I posted lol The last line of the interview is quite interesting and tells a lot about Keita

Partway through the interview, we ask Takahashi if he thinks his personal frustration, pessimism, and other less-than-joyful sentiments are clearly represented in his games.

"It's hard to describe," Takahashi answered. "You know comedians? Do you think they're always being funny? I don't think so."

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I read the thread title I opened a tab with the ost, damn catchy tunes. It sucks that Katamari didn't get the recognition it deserves since its a pretty fun game and hopefully Wattam comes out soon.

I remember the first being a cult hit that got a lot of good word, which made the sequel actually a pretty big hit when it launched. Obviously not like GTA or anything, but I was always the impression that, considering the game it was, Katamari 2 did great numbers and had a wide mindshare. I feel like way more people played Katamari 2 than Katamari 1.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I think it was a situation where he was approached and promised a brand new game of whatever he wanted (which turned into Noby Noby) if he made just one more Katamari.

I'm glad he decided to do We Love Katamari, there's a lot of really good ideas and levels in that game.

And music, almost as good as the first games music

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man listening to the Katamari soundtrack takes me back to college

I remember listening to this soundtrack riding the bus around campus at UT

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What games has he been playing? There are so many games with wild concepts that sell well. Of course if you look at the top of the charts for anything you'll see the same sort of stuff. If you compare anything to the sales of GTA or the Fortnite phenomena obviously everything is gonna look like a failure.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's an incredibly interesting individual. I would say he's definitely accomplished a lot as an artist through the medium of video games; after all, Katamari Damacy is one of the few video games on display at MoMA.

Wattam is exciting, if only because we dont get a lot of quirky, off-the-wall games like we used to see during that era.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I do feel for his grief a little bit. Players are largely closed off into "what games should be" and a strange concept like Katamari is probably often rejected at first glance because why would this jank be fun to play right? But it's well made games.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
ive only ever imported two things from japan (neither things games), and one of them was the Katamari Damacy OST

my favorite track has to be Cherry Blossom Color Season

the perfect accompaniment to a long level

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you know, given the nature of the type of game Katamari is, I would love to see a version of it made explicitly for the steam controller. Since the main feature of the controller is, basically, trackball emulation, it would work sooooo well with Katamari Damacy.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
There are few songs that make me smile as much as Lonely rolling star.

For me is Katamari on the Rocks. It's impossible for me to hear that song and not have a huge grin on my face

Naaaaaaaaaananananananana ♫

Is the Katamari Damacy soundtrack on Spotify by any chance?

I think it is: https://open.spotify.com/user/1268178255/playlist/14btFoELlvFWnBrQEIK9xR

Edit. Tho, this seems to be an user playlist?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I get where he's coming from, but he sounds like me. He's way too hard on himself. :(

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol if you totally conveniently forget about Minecraft and the thousand other games of similar design

Dude needs to gain some perspective

Oct 28, 2017
Katamari was a very important and big game, he shound't understimate it.
noby noby boy was a bit of a miss, but it's nice he tries always something new. any info on his last project? i feel it's getting into development hell..

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Katamari made me happy from the original game's box art alone. Finally playing the game was even better.

Not happy that it's currently a mobile series and has no representation on current gen game consoles.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Didn't know the guy had such a low opinion about himself. Katamari Damacy and its sequel hold a very special place in my heart and helped me go through some tough years in my teens.