How excited are you right now?

• I have never been this excited in my life for a new console!

Votes: 227 10.8%
  • I am very excited.

Votes: 723 34.5%
  • I am pretty excited.

Votes: 409 19.5%
  • I am looking forward to next-gen, but I'm not excited.

Votes: 421 20.1%
  • I am indifferent.

Votes: 313 15.0%

• Total voters

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
Super-excited to be joining the next-generation revolution (in 2.5 weeks, because that's when the PS5 launches in Europe).

I've got Miles Morales preordered, which weirdly is on track to arrive a full week before the console, but I'm probably most looking forward to playing backwards-compatible titles at higher framerates, since I'll be upgrading from the base PS4.

I'll join the Nextbox revolution sometime next year, when the exclusives are looking a bit healthier.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is only the second console I've bought at launch (not including model revisions), and I'd say I'm at a 7.5/10 level of excitement? I was definitely more pumped for the Switch because of the novelty of it being a fairly impressive handheld for the time, on top of Breath of the Wild just looking to be amazing.

Tbh I'm mostly just relieved that I've avoided the shitfight it would be trying to get one for the next ~6 months. Even if all of the 2021 games end up getting delayed into 2022 or even turn out bad, I'm happy to have a PS5 now just to play my PS4 library with better performance. Plus I've started getting some 4K UHD Blu-Ray movies recently too, so I'm pretty keen for all of that.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
not excited. we'll see how i feel about it post election.

spiderman should be fun, but other than that, there aren't any launch games im terribly excited about. due to the pandemic, i imagine the first year line up of games is going to be anemic. I'm assuming after spiderman, i wont be playing any ps5 games for a good while.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling election anxiety, and my TV also broke and I hope it can be repaired before the launch, so it's like in third place in my brain right now, but still pretty excited.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I'll be excited once Sony charges my card completely without a fraud alert warning. Once I actually have my ps5 paid off then I'll be happy and ready.

Other than that idk, I'm sure once it's in my hand I'll be super excited but for now it's just whatever.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
My excitement has been tempered by anxiety about whether or not the thing will actually arrive on time

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I have never cared less for a new generation, there just aren't any games at launch.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I have never cared less for a new generation, there just aren't any games at launch.

I only recently started thinking about getting Valhalla because I unexpectedly loved Odyssey (best 9 bucks I ever invested on the EGS), but if it wasn't for that, this month could have been just as bad as any other month of 2020. I will probably wait for it to go on sale even. I was not even gonna play Cyberpunk but my girlfriend already has it so might as well.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more excited for KH MoM's release than next gen. Actually kind of happy I'm not letting myself be caught up on the hype like I did for PS4 release.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Cross Gen is the main reason why I'm no excited.

My Pro can deal with Horizon and Spiderman.. Godfall is on PC so I'm only missing Demon Souls but I'm not into Dark Soul games so all good for me for this year and the next.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Thanks to Demons Souls, Miles Morales, the Dualsense, the SSD, and Destiny 2 on console in 60 FPS, I am very excited.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Would be more excided if there was consoles available to buy. Called the online shop i usually buy games from, they say they dont have any information when more PS5 will arrive.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've ordered mine but I suppose I ought to get on the accessories and any games I want physical copies of.

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Shame there isn't a full length launch day AAA title. That's what's lessened the hype.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I get mildly excited about this upcoming gen I look up stores to see how much games are gonna cost and I instantly lose any hype I had.

ChillWinston

Oct 27, 2017
Excited isn't the right word for me. I'm looking forward to it, looking forward to unboxing my Series X and getting it all set up but in the short term I'm pretty much just gonna be playing the same games I'm currently playing on my One S. If anything, I might even buy Miles Morales on PS4 and play that instead of anything new on my Series X. It's a weird console transition, I can't imagine how anyone who has been around for a few of these could say it's as exciting as previous cycles.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have either pre-ordered. No excitement. Will wait and see how it goes, I have enough backlog to play through at the moment.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Very, very excited. Finally we can enjoy 60 fps gaming on a more regular basis, its been over 8 years being chained to those awful CPUs in the last gen machines. Not to mention the SSDs!

Hoping for some really interesting games in the coming years.

Sep 24, 2020
I am very excited, but it's also dropping on my GF's birthday so I will be playing it for a few hours on Thursday and then not getting back to it until the weekend.

I still think I was slightly more excited for PS4 since it was the first big console I had purchased all on my own and I missed the whole week of school after it released due to whopping cough. I felt like absolute shit but it sure was fun not being able to leave my house with a shiny new PS4 sitting under my TV.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
not at all. getting both day one respectively, but i'm completely focused on the election... probably helps that there's no real big killer next gen launch game i'm itching to play. maybe 2k? but meh.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Would be more excited if the target app would update the shipping info. I wanna know when I'm getting it!

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
It's been a long year for everyone on the planet. The next gen console releases are a nice thing to celebrate together (please, no more tribalism -- we have enough of that in "real life"). I think both Sony and Microsoft are bringing some really special machines to the table, and that has me most excited of all.

And, as someone who's mostly been playing on Playstation (and before that, Nintendo and Sega), the X-Box Series X is the most excited I've been for a Microsoft console. I plan on getting one a little later in the new gen cycle.

I think there's just a ton of great stuff to be stoked about, and given how dismal this year has been, I'd say being hyped for a new console release is a little bit like chicken soup -- good for the soul.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I'm excited to hear what's coming in the future due to the new gen, but I'm not at all hyped right now.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped playing my PS4 since we're so close so I'm very excited.

We also get a lot of games next week, so a lot to look forward too.

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for looking forward to it but not excited because I couldn't secure a PS5 pre order and im salty AF :D

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I actually forgot about them last week. I might take a look in a couple years when there are more "from the ground up titles" in the wild but otherwise I don't care.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not really excited. I play mainly on PC. Therefore, I will be able to play what the Xbox crowd will get. I don't really care for the typical Sony game that much. Sure, I would love to play the Demon's Souls remake but that is not enough reason to buy a PS5 at launch. Maybe later when the first hardware revision has arrived and many games are available well below that excessive "next-gen" rate.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Full on train hype, unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to get one at launch. I don't even have the will to turn my PS4 on that much anymore

Oct 28, 2017
I will most likely get a PS5 somewhere down the line, but right now there are no games I'm interested in. Also, part of me knows it's probably wiser to wait for a slim/pro version.

In general it feels like the law of diminishing returns is also kicking in for the hardware so the "next gen sensation" is pretty muted tbh. Well, higher frame rate and quick load times is nice, but the rest feels more like window dressing to me.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As someone who started gaming when I got my NES for Christmas in 1986, I have never been less excited about a new generation of consoles.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not getting either at launch so not excited at all really. Excited for what comes to PC Gamepass during launch window plus Valhalla though.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I'm not excited because I am rocking a 32 inch 1080 TV from like PS3 times, so I doubt I'll be able to tell any difference besides faster load times.

Maybe next year there will be TVs that have hdmi 2.1 that aren't broken and/or over $1k.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say minor excitement to upgrade right now, pretty weak launch lineup, really nothing taking advantage of the system. Also the fact that it's going to be damn near impossible to get a PlayStation five also makes me not that excited to get one right now

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in the games we'll have in a few years, when the platforms are established. Right now I'm not at all excited. Give me the PSVR 2 and we'll talk.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am looking forward to next gen, but not excited. Some disappointments (i.e would have loved PS3 backwards compatibility, as I have tons of games would like to play on a better controller, faster machine, but now I'll have to go back to PS3)... game prices have made me a bit meh... and of course what with covid etc... just not feeling it.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
my series x arrives next week, but i've been around this day one block so many times it loses its appeal

i'm at work all day, and if i have to pick it up from the depot the next day because i've missed delivery, so what...

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I'm a little excited, but the US election results and the coronavirus response are things that are top of mind right now. I do still appreciate the break entertainment can provide from some of the anxiety-inducing stuff going on in the world right now.

My extra PS5 controller was just delivered a little while ago, but it's kind of surreal that launch is next week.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
this year has been shit and I need this so yeah I'm pumped for next gen as it will bring some sanity to this fucken dumpster fire of a year

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is what reminded me they are lauching soon, so I'm pretty indiferent towards this new hardware yet.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I'm excited, but I would have been even more excited, almost over the moon, if Sony had a more robust VR plan going forward since Day 1.