RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
2024-mazdacx5-overview-desktop-static-hero.jpg

With 153,808 units sold last year, the CX-5 was Mazda's best-selling model in North America by far. That's despite the fact the compact crossover is getting old, having been around since 2017. A new generation has now been officially confirmed. The announcement was quietly made in a document related to the company's financial results for the fiscal year ending on March 31, 2024.

The only other piece of information shared by Mazda is that the third-generation model will employ a hybrid powertrain developed in-house. The Japanese brand refrained from mentioning whether it'll be a traditional hybrid or one with plug-in capabilities. It's worth noting the company has been using Toyota's hybrid know-how for some models. In China, there's a CX-50 with the Toyota RAV4's electrified bits. In the same document, Mazda says a hybrid CX-50 is planned for other markets in the second half of 2024.

When the CX-50 came out in 2022, some wondered whether the CX-5 would be retired. But as it turns out, the two models will peacefully coexist. That makes sense considering the CX-5 was nearly three and a half times more popular in North America than the CX-50 last year.

That said, we can't help but notice how the company's SUV range is getting crowded. The CX-70 and CX-90 have joined the portfolio on the new rear-wheel-drive platform with bigger inline-six engines. Although the attractive electric Mazda6 is also mentioned in the document, it'll be sold only in China where a plug-in hybrid will be available as well.

What comes next? Mazda promises its first EV on a dedicated platform will be released in 2027, followed by a "full scale launch of EVs" from 2028 until 2030.
www.motor1.com

The Next-Generation Mazda CX-5 Will Be Hybrid

In an official document about the recently ended fiscal year in Japan, Mazda revealed plans for a new CX-5 crossover with a hybrid powertrain created in-house.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Soccer moms the world over will be jazzed to hear

(I kid, the CX-5 is great and the CX-50 rules)

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I can't believe how far behind Mazda is on this. I know that they're kind of small potatoes compared to the other Japanese car makers, but come on.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I'll be in the market for a new car in a year or so, and I've had two Mazdas in a row that have been fantastic.

Not sure about the whole "plug-in" thing with hybrids, though.

I'm also curious how it'll effect the more performance-oriented trims, that currently have a turbocharger.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've had kind of a hit or miss relationship with my 2017 CX5. Decent car but had a catastrophic failure of the differential, blanking on what it's called, but it cost me $5500 to fix it, not covered by warranty, and it was "because the under carriage of the car must have gotten wet" which just happened with normal New England driving. So that sucked. And of course it was right after I finished paying the car off.

I'm confused about the lineup. CX5, CX9, CX90, cx 60 (?), Cx3, Mazda 3… the 90, 60, 30 line plus the 9 6 3… and some are hybrid some aren't.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I've had kind of a hit or miss relationship with my 2017 CX5. Decent car but had a catastrophic failure of the differential, blanking on what it's called, but it cost me $5500 to fix it, not covered by warranty, and it was "because the under carriage of the car must have gotten wet" which just happened with normal New England driving. So that sucked. And of course it was right after I finished paying the car off.

I'm confused about the lineup. CX5, CX9, CX90, cx 60 (?), Cx3, Mazda 3… the 90, 60, 30 line plus the 9 6 3… and some are hybrid some aren't.

Our CX-9 engine basically imploded recently and the car wasn't that old.

Luckily it was a known issue and they covered most of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

2017 CX5 owner here. Love the car but transmission blew at 33k miles. Thankfully covered under powertrain (and I'm actually on third one) but has held up so far (at almost 70k miles now)

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Our CX-9 engine basically imploded recently and the car wasn't that old.

Luckily it was a known issue and they covered most of it.
Uh yikes. I've got a 2020 CX9. What year was yours? Also have a 2012 Mazda 3 with no issues other than regular maintenance, so feeling pretty good about Mazda otherwise.

EpicDrop

Oct 28, 2017
Mines is a 2021 select. Heard the turbo engines arent as good on gas mileage. or are they?

I've got a 2020 turbo premium plus and I get about 26mph with a mix of city and freeway driving. Most of the time I'm driving very conservatively, but I'm get in a spirited acceleration here and there a couple times a month.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
We just got my son a 2023 CX-30 to replace his 2013 Ford Escape that got totaled. It's a really nice space to be in. I was impressed with the car. It only had 4000 mi on it and had been originally sold in October last year. It was certified too so it gets a 7 year 100000mi warranty. Couldn't leave that there for that price.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Read the title as mx-5 and got excited about a e-ray style hybrid miata.
The next Miata is expected to have some electrification, but I don't think an E-Ray style electric-assisted AWD would suit the Miata's character of being an affordable lightweight RWD convertible.

It would make a lot of sense for their rumored RX-7 successor, though
mazda-iconic-sp-concept.jpg

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever release that MX-30R variant with the Rotary Engine range extender?
That thing seemed like it could be neat depending on how much range the Rotary adds
They did in Europe. Wasn't really much better than the straight battery version. Just didn't have big enough, or power-dense enough batteries. The extender basically took what would be battery weight and converted it to engine/fuel weight. Not really worth it for this platform. The idea isn't without it's upsides, but in this sorry excuse for a compliance vehicle, it's a non-starter.

In regular hybrid news, excited to see what Mazda does with the Hybrid CX-5, but still salty we never got the CX-60 in the US. I want a bigger SUV that isn't a boat Mazda!