TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Link is his BotW character.

You may not see it that way, but I'd guess Sakurai does.
Who fits the bill to join smash in BOTW? Seriously, there are almost no characters and the ones that appear are completely underdeveloped and useless. At least if you want more TLoZ reps try some from before.

I agree with y'all. Just saying it was Sakurai who had the final decision, Nintendo was never one to force his hand.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem main lords are like those jokes about all of the Final Fantasy protagonists being spiky-haired guys with buster swords except it's totally true.

The lack of visual variety is astounding sometimes.
Didn't know Alm, Celica, Lyn, Roy, Eliwood, Robin, Corrin, Micaiah, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude were all blue haired guys, thanks for the tip

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
How would king boo or waddle dee be received compared to byleth?
The reaction would been better: King Boo is a villian, a fan favorite and as for Waddle Dee the guy has a fanbase and having any content from recent kirby games would be nice for a change

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know Alm, Celica, Lyn, Roy, Eliwood, Robin, Corrin, Micaiah, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude were all blue haired guys, thanks for the tip

I mean they're not all blue haired, but they are generally pasty pale, pretty, pristine realistically proportioned lords with dyed looking hair colour like some kind of factory produced toy line. A lot of people like that and that's fine, but FE character designs started getting a bit boring and were blending together a bit despite having really enjoying the older games.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
So on point Dunkey. Nobody gives a shit about Fire Emblem. I cant stand fighting 14 anime characters online that all have blue hair but completely different movesets.

I'd rather see the main character from Star Tropics, a game I never played.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're not all blue haired, but they are generally pasty pale, pretty, pristine realistically proportioned lords with dyed looking hair colour like some kind of factory produced toy line. A lot of people like that and that's fine, but FE character designs started getting a bit boring and were blending together a bit despite having really enjoying the older games.
Bullshit. The old games are more guilty of this than the newer ones. Claude would never happen in older Fire Emblem games

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are actually more blonde swordsman (5, 6 counting default Mii Sword Fighter) on the Roster then blue Haired ones (4 including Byleth)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem main lords are like those jokes about all of the Final Fantasy protagonists being spiky-haired guys with buster swords except it's totally true.

Yep

It really makes me appreciate the visual departures ff makes on the reg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WjsScgW.png

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Joke is so tired, I cant help but roll my eyes. Aside from the Goku part, that was whack.

I think I'll rewatch the Byleth trailer again.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
They really used to. FF has been on that realistic vibe since VIII
Every FF protagonist looks mad different than the others.
You telling Me cloud, zidane, tidus , and noctis look the same? No, that proves my point. I wouldn't claim these characters are in the exact same art style ( espically if you saw the art for games like ff7 or 9 ) , but you can be in a simular art style and be visual different enough to make distinct looking different characters. And to be fair to fire emblem, they do achieve this with the other characters in their respective games. However, when you line a lot of their protagonsist up, besides the one that's a literal dragon things start to look a little simular. There are visual ques that you see throughout all of them or at least a lot of em. Its like if after the success of ff7 , every protag after him kinda looked like cloud.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? I'd totally buy and play tens of hours of a Arc System Works made Fire Emblem fighting game. Soul Calibur devs would have done better job at swordfighting but overall ArcSys fighters are more fun.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Most of these characters are either

- Average height/weight light skinned young male with shoulder length hair and little to no facial features
Or
- Average height/weight light skinned young female with long hair large eyes and little to no facial features

With some very rare exceptions in between.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of your opinion on Byleth, Dunkey is still a piece of garbage.

Dec 2, 2017
I mean he may not be everyone's favorite character but Byleth with the relics that represent each of the house leaders' primary weapon is a pretty well-encapsulating representation of three houses character wise. The monastery was clearly the best stage choice, and you can see like 15 characters from the game in the background.

Three Houses is a MASSIVE game, and many characters who are some people's favorites can go entire playthroughs with only a few lines for others.

Yeah, he basically said that in the video, that there were so many routes many players just wouldn't have much interaction with the other characters. Edelgard might be the one you could pick, but she would be hard to implement without spoiling the heck out of the game.

Not that Sakurai didn't in that video already :/

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
People would be more pressed by Goku or Geno than another Fire Emblem character.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who fits the bill to join smash in BOTW? Seriously, there are almost no characters and the ones that appear are completely underdeveloped and useless. At least if you want more TLoZ reps try some from before.
Who could ever join Smash from BOTW....?
UnripeGlitteringCony-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_oogtsl2Foe1tmhrbco1_400.gifv

And it's not like we don't have tons of great Zelda contenders in prior titles that are either ignored or wasted as assists.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

CreativeAnxiousDotterel-size_restricted.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

And it's not like we don't have tons of great Zelda contenders in prior titles that are either ignored or wasted as assists.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

History has shown that if you're not the main character or a super important part of the recurring cast, then you're nothing to Smash.

Sakurai evidently does not like one-offs, which is basically all Zelda has to offer at this point.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

One big difference between all these characters and the FE chars in the game: None of these are the main characters of their respective games. Unless you want these characters to be echoes like Chrom and Lucina, who also fall into this category.

The only Zelda character I think has a real chance is Impa because she's a recurring character across many games.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
History has shown that if you're not the main character or a super important part of the recurring cast, then you're nothing to Smash.

Sakurai evidently does not like one-offs, which is basically all Zelda has to offer at this point.
One big difference between all these characters and the FE chars in the game: None of these are the main characters of their respective games. Unless you want these characters to be echoes like Chrom and Lucina, who also fall into this category.

The only Zelda character I think has a real chance is Impa because she's a recurring character across many games.
There's only one repeat Zelda protagonist that's sorely missing in Ultimate

220px-Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland_Coverart.png
300px-Tingle%27s_Balloon_Fight.jpg
Tingle%27s_Love_Balloon_Trip_JP_boxart.jpg

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Hmmmm... how about more boring fire emblem characters instead? Yea, i think thats a better choice tbh. Who doesn't want more fire emblem after all?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Why do people keep trying to create rules for Smash that aren't locked in stone?

And, yeah, characters like Lucina and Crom aren't the main characters and they're one-offs, but they got in, even if they are echoes.

But a character like Midna is technically the main character of Twilight Princess (she IS the Twilight Princess) and has popped up in other games and spin-offs. Impa, as stated, has been around since the NES days in various incarnations and would make a phenomenal echo for Sheik. Sheik (Zelda's alt form) only appeared once in the main games as a support character, but it's proven popular enough that that form has endured in Smash Bros and spin-offs as well.

But, hell, if friggin' Piranha Plant can be in a fighter, how many countless classic Zelda enemies could as well? Vaati has been a reoccurring boss for over THREE Zelda games. Zelda villains like Girahim, Zant, and Demise were all over the marketing and covers of their respective games and popped up in other games.

I don't think Smash has any hard-set rules that they can't be one-offs (we have those) or that they have to be the main hero (we have many that aren't) or that they have to be from current games (they don't).

And even if that was a rule... break it. Adding more variety to the games with beloved characters that better represent their games is only a benefit to doing so.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Why do people keep trying to create rules for Smash that aren't locked in stone?

And, yeah, characters like Lucina and Crom aren't the main characters and they're one-offs, but they got in, even if they are echoes.

But a character like Midna is technically the main character of Twilight Princess (she IS the Twilight Princess) and has popped up in other games and spin-offs. Impa, as stated, has been around since the NES days in various incarnations and would make a phenomenal echo for Sheik. Sheik (Zelda's alt form) only appeared once in the main games as a support character, but it's proven popular enough that that form has endured in Smash Bros and spin-offs as well.

But, hell, if friggin' Piranha Plant can be in a fighter, how many countless classic Zelda enemies could as well? Vaati has been a reoccurring boss for over THREE Zelda games. Zelda villains like Girahim, Zant, and Demise were all over the marketing and covers of their respective games and popped up in other games.

I don't think Smash has any hard-set rules that they can't be one-offs (we have those) or that they have to be the main hero (we have many that aren't) or that they have to be from current games (they don't).

And even if that was a rule... break it. Adding more variety to the games with beloved characters that better represent their games is only a benefit to doing so.
1. Lucina is an echo and was originally planned to be an alt costume for Marth. Chrom is also an echo, and is tied with Robin as being the main character of Awakening, even if he is a one-off.

2. This "rule" is just an obvious trend in the way that Sakurai runs thing. Take it up with him.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sheik wouldn't be in the game if she hadn't originated as part of Zelda's moveset

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

Ironically Roy who's in SSBU and is red haired doesn't seem to be all that popular among FE characters, but I think it might have to do with his own game.

The reaction would been better: King Boo is a villian, a fan favorite and as for Waddle Dee the guy has a fanbase and having any content from recent kirby games would be nice for a change

No, it really wouldn't there would be a lot of people complaining too. People will complain one way or another. What I don't get is considering there's a fresh FE release and more characters being added after the fighter pass ended, how people didn't see another FE character coming? Honestly it would be weird if one of the upcoming 6 characters isn't a Pokémon too.

Dec 2, 2017
So on point Dunkey. Nobody gives a shit about Fire Emblem.

Three Houses won GOTY in fan voting at The 2019 Game Awards (as well as best strategy game from the judges), so people definitely do care. This is by far the biggest and best* game in one of Nintendo's longest running series, it does deserve to be celebrated.

*I will accept alternate nominations for games like FE 7 which have more of a focus on hardcore strategy. Three Houses definitely places the emphasis on the rpg part of srpg.

I'd rather see the main character from Star Tropics, a game I never played.

You totally should, it's the best 8-bit Zelda Nintendo ever made.

Oh man, she would be such a kickass addition...although everyone would complain about her being another sword character.

Midna would be awesome too, they could make her a troll character.

Ironically Roy who's in SSBU and is red haired doesn't seem to be all that popular among FE characters

In part it's because nobody's ever played the game he's from. The inclusion of he & Marth in Smash stimulated interest in the West in Fire Emblem...so for whatever reason they started with the game after the one he was in, and left it as the only GBA Fire Emblem they didn't bring over. Which is bizarre, because the game they started with is a prequel to Roy's, with a bunch of nods in it for fans that nobody outside Japan will ever get. Marth was from the original Fire Emblem, which got a remake as Shadow Dragon on DS, which became the only DS FE Nintendo brought over so at least there's some connection for Western fans there.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
In part it's because nobody's ever played the game he's from. The inclusion of he & Marth in Smash stimulated interest in the West in Fire Emblem...so for whatever reason they started with the game after the one he was in, and left it as the only GBA Fire Emblem they didn't bring over. Which is bizarre, because the game they started with is a prequel to Roy's, with a bunch of nods in it for fans that nobody outside Japan will ever get. Marth was from the original Fire Emblem, which got a remake as Shadow Dragon on DS, which became the only DS FE Nintendo brought over so at least there's some connection for Western fans there.

Right, however it seems not even in Japan Roy's game that popular either.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

I'd actually love Skull Kid, Impa or Midna. Iconic characters, tons of fun gameplay possibilities, great designs.

BOTW characters are nothing like those 3.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Urbosa seems to be a fan favorite. She's a really cool, charismatic character, and would be pretty great for representation. I

Also, what's your metric for "underdeveloped and useless", exactly?

Oct 28, 2017
I bet Tingle would've had a better reception than Byleth.

Nobody wants to admit it but he's one of the few recurring characters in the Zelda series outside of the triforce trio and has starred in a couple games of his own.