Votes: 195 26.5%
  • Leave me alone

Votes: 149 20.2%

• Total voters

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
We know Microsoft has a lot invested in AI and that probably means they will add AI to their future consoles. Of course, this likely means some basic visual enhancements to their games but I'm betting since they're Microsoft they wont stop there. Copilot will likely be active when you boot up your console, maybe you'll be able to chat with it, but I can imagine some cool scenarios where the AI in the next Xbox can actually enhance the experience. For example, if it can suggest a tip to get past a difficult part of a game or even take control to beat a boss for you. Those might be kind of cool. I think it'll definitely be able to suggest games you may want to play or remind us when a certain game you're playing is coming off Game Pass or even let you know when a game on your Wishlist is on sale. Now, of course, some of these suggestions have been done before (like game suggestions or sales of Wishlist) but we also know Microsoft loves to push features out regardless of their redundancy. Anyway, that's just spitballing, but what do you think what AI features would you like to see on the Xbox?

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing I want is an AI listening to every sound in the house to send back to MS on the off chance I want to ask it the solution in a game, which to me kinda defeats the point of playing it anyway. As for having an AI take over and beat stuff for me, I dunno why I'd even be buying games at that point

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
The last thing I want is an AI listening to every sound in the house to send back to MS on the off chance I want to ask it the solution in a game, which to me kinda defeats the point of playing it anyway. As for having an AI take over and beat stuff for me, I dunno why I'd even be buying games at that point
Then this feature wouldn't be for you, but just like Mario games have their assist modes and whatnot, there are plenty of people that would take the help if they're stuck on a boss for some game they want to beat.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Then this feature wouldn't be for you, but just like Mario game have their assist modes and whatnot, there are plenty of people that would take the help if they're stuck on a boss for some game they want to beat.
Knowing Microsoft whether I want it or not will likely not be a factor they have any interest in. The data harvesting value would be too great to have a toggle. It will very likely be enabled by default, and unlike Windows I won't have the luxury of regedit to forcibly remove it.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
For example, if it can suggest a tip to get past a difficult part of a game or even take control to beat a boss for you.
How is gonna do this? It best it can do is steal a human written answer from a guide and reword it.

I think it'll definitely be able to suggest games you may want to play or remind us when a certain game you're playing is coming off Game Pass or even let you know when a game on your Wishlist is on sale.
This exists pretty much already exists on Xbox

This isn't AI

Stoppabl3

May 26, 2022
I have no idea what AI even means anymore. It seems like a catch all tech phrase these days..

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
"For example, if it can suggest a tip to get past a difficult part of a game or even take control to beat a boss for you."

Didn't Sony just patent this

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
All of your next consoles will have AI, we've been using "AI" for a long time in industries all over.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I mean DLSS and FSR2+ are AI - so I would hope so.

If they put out a console that delivers 120fps 4k for every game through frame generation for example I'd be thrilled.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I have no idea what AI even means anymore. It seems like a catch all tech phrase these days..
AI is a lot of things, the predictive chat you use on your phone is a version of AI, chatting with your Xbox about what to add to a wishlist or what games to download would also be AI. It's not a "tech phrase" so much as its a tech phenomenon.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft about to have their second Kinect moment, although their HW sales are already on the decline, so maybe it ultimately doesn't matter

The only "AI" that should be in consoles are upscalers

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Supoosedly it's gonna behave like Fi in Skyward Sword and hold your hand 24/7, always present, always talking.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
OP literally said AI is telling you a game on your Wishlist is on sale is AI...

It means nothing it seems. Just marketing language
It's not that difficult to imagine a digital assistant on your console that can let you know when a game on your wishlist is on sale, no? I mean, we do that with our apps, this would be MS cramming redundant functionality into a console.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think the next consoles will have dedicated AI buttons on the controllers? *shudder*

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The rebirth of Cortana.

You will be able to circumvent it because it's an accessibility issue otherwise.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe someone will make a game you play entirely through prompt engineering! Bonus points if it has NFTs.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I mean, as long as it's complementary to the experience and they aren't shoving it in my face everywhere that's fine.

I'm mostly interested to see how they can use AI to make games look or play better. I know MS had been looking at AI-assisted texture upsampling and stuff in the past.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
An assistant that you could call up instantly to help you figure out a part of a game you're stuck on could be cool. Fumbling through Youtube videos or random online guides is a horrible experience today. I do hope it's optional though.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Ehh I'm fine with it. Just mentioning "AI" at this place has become radioactive, doesn't matter what the context is, it's instant hate. It's like the new GAAS (which I'm also fine with).

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Almost nothing in the OP requires "AI" particularly of the LLM sort.

I don't really think it will be that big of a deal in the next Xbox, tbh. MS probably wants it to be, and higher ups may well imagine it will be, but there really isn't a strong match between "what LLMs can actually do" and "what would actually be useful", and the hype cycle may well have died down by then anyways.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
An assistant that you could call up instantly to help you figure out a part of a game you're stuck on could be cool. Fumbling through Youtube videos or random online guides is a horrible experience today. I do hope it's optional though.

You're gonna kill IGN Guides and half a dozen other sites doing the same lol

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
FSR has no AI at all. DLSS and XeSS are machine learning enhanced.
My mistake. I thought FSR2 and 3 both used frame generation from machine learning also.

One area I'd also be fine with AI is if it allowed it to smartly recommend me games, and especially if they are sale. Like if I got an email that said, hey this RPG probably would be a good fit for you and it's 75% off.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
remember when msft spread themselves too thin with xbox one and advertised it as a media box rather than a game console and in doing so undid all the progress they made in the x360 generation?

im envisioning a scenario where they go crazy advertising the new xbox as an AI box and completely obliterate what little console business they have left

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's also a catch-all that's been around for decades now. Enemy behavior, procedural generation, effects/physics/animation simulation are all using some form of AI to calculate outcomes that programers no longer need to hand craft. I think people get swept up with the art theft generating images, videos and text, when there are other uses that more closely align with the aforementioned elements.

Ehh I'm fine with it. Just mentioning "AI" at this place has become radioactive, doesn't matter what the context is, it's instant hate. It's like the new GAAS (which I'm also fine with).
yeap

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
I sense a repeat of the Xbox One reveal except instead of "TV, TV, TV" it'll be "AI, AI, AI".

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
I think people get swept up with the art theft generating images, videos and text, when there are other uses that more closely align with the aforementioned elements.
That's exactly what happens. The instant reactionary pushback any mention of AI gets is rooted in the AI art generating shit. That pushback then seeps into stuff like the OP which probably won't have anything to do with it. AI is a massive field so dumbing it down to AI = bad is just silly.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
You mean AI filled hardware like the RTX GPU's most of you have in your computers already? Gee, that would be horrible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Until I know what it's used for I really can't muster up a shred of emotion about it. AI is already a thing in games and has been for ages. It's used for all kinds of things. It's not as simple as "all AI is bad", it's about what it's used for, how it's used, and if its use is eliminating roles from dev studios.