• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'm lucky to be in a family of four where we all play games together and the kids share my hobby.

On console I pay for one online sub and it covers the console with all accounts that play on it and also my account for any device (and even other accounts on the other device I'm i'm also signed in.)

On out Switch we have 4 accounts for us all but instead of the one subscription I have to pay almost double for all the accounts?

That's terrible, I'd have to buy it when Fortnite comes out or for Minecraft and I could swallow the standard price for happy kids but their new concept of this Family Plan is the worst.

EDIT
on Playstation and Xbox you only need to buy one sub and all the accounts on that console are covered.

Nintendo have came up with something different and worse with this and the Family Plan offering is a solution to the new problem they have made.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Isn't it $35 annually for up to 8 people?

Isn't that much better than an individual payment for every account?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
You all share 1 Switch? Good news is if you had 4 Switch devices, it might work on all 4? It's really not detailed enough for anyone beyond your situation it seems.

May 3, 2018
a7758f38a5ffb38ee9ff21f07b24468c.png

You pay 35 for 8 different accounts, lol.

Individually you'd pay 80 for all 8 accounts.

Annnnd done. Mods lock the thread, hyperbole is over.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
How is 35$ for 8 accounts price gouging when it's 20$ for one? I honestly don't get what you're trying to say OP.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The family plan is $35 for 8 accounts and works even though they're on different devices, right? Did I get that wrong or is this a different complaint?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
The family plan is only really useful for families where everyone has their own Switch. If there's only one Switch that's shared between all family members, then just buy a sub for a main account and use it.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I think he's complaining that because all family members have different accounts on the same Switch he has to pay more, actually. Alternatively he could just buy it once and have everyone else play games on the same account.
Yup, on Playstation and Xbox you only need to buy one sub and all the accounts on that console are covered.

Nintendo have came up with something different and worse with this and the Family Plan offering is a solution to the new problem they have made.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is splitting hairs pretty hard when the family plan is a discount deal even if you only have two accounts, and it still being a substantially cheaper yearly plan against it's competitors.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yes, let's all complain that Nintendo is offering a cheaper option for people who don't share their consoles.

Imagine if Sony offered a cheaper version of PS+ for people who don't share their PS4s... That's all Nintendo is doing... And even with the family plan it's still cheaper than PS+ anyway... Sounds like people wanting to complain for the sake of complaining.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's complaining that because all family members have different accounts on the same Switch he has to pay more, actually. Alternatively he could just buy it once and have everyone else play games on the same account.

Ah, I understand. I don't know how exactly PSN works, though. If my account has Plus, and I have the account on two PS4s, does that mean both PS4 had Plus for all accounts?

Well it's what Nintendo offers anyway so I guess it's a take it or leave it situation.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
This is splitting hairs pretty hard when the family plan is a discount deal even if you only have two accounts, and it still being a substantially cheaper yearly plan against it's competitors.
I don't think it is, every other paid for console allows all user accounts on that device to be covered so families can use their own accounts to play online as their own identities, friends, progress as part of the sub.

The family play is a discount for something only Nintendo are asking you to pay more for.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't understand the problem here. It's $20 for a year for one account, or $35 a year for a maximum of 8 accounts. OP has 4 accounts, which is less than 8, so it'll be $35... Right? Which is only fair since more people are using the service, more people are going to host their saves in the cloud, and maybe even multiple people on multiple Switches would play online using the same Family Plan.

Am I reading things wrong?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I think one thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo's pricing on the family plan is based more on the portability of Switch and the fact that some families will likely own multiple Switch consoles. This allows a family to pay $35 a year and each child and parent should be able to have paid online.

Oct 27, 2017
I see both sides. Even the family plan is cheaper than either PS+ or Live Gold but both those services offer much more robust online offerings, free games every month, and a pretty solid track record of being worth the money.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to add to the edit in the OP, in steam, you can share your purchases with 10 accounts, without subscription fees.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You pay $35 for 8 accounts. If you have that many or less on your PS4 or Xbone you still pay almost double.
Hyperbole much, OP?
I see both sides. Even the family plan is cheaper than either PS+ or Live Gold but both those services offer much more robust online offerings, free games every month, and a pretty solid track record of being worth the money.
The weekend I started to pay for PS+ I couldn't play the entire weekend, let alone see whether my friends were online or not. It was a fucking joke. They make so much cash with this shit and can't even get that straight.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the problem here. It's $20 for a year for one account, or $35 a year for a maximum of 8 accounts. OP has 4 accounts, which is less than 8, so it'll be $35... Right? Which is only fair since more people are using the service, more people are going to host their saves in the cloud, and maybe even multiple people on multiple Switches would play online using the same Family Plan.

Am I reading things wrong?
But he only wants to pay $20. This is how Microsoft and Sony do it. Nintendo should do it this way too

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Think of it as the family plan = ps+/live

All the same features except multi-device support is better and the annual sub is cheaper.

Now think of the individual plan as a discounted rate for solo use only.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
If the online works with many consoles in the same house then it's a better solution for families, considering the portable nature of the switch I thinks that's the case.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
The family plan is still cheaper than both PSN and XBL, I don't see how it's a gouge.

Value is a different thing, it you think its worth it or not for what you get is a different topic.

As I've said and my only point here is:
Nintendo are the only console with a paid sub that will require you to pay more if you want other family members to play online with their own accounts.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is, every other paid for console allows all user accounts on that device to be covered so families can use their own accounts to play online as their own identities, friends, progress as part of the sub.

The family play is a discount for something only Nintendo are asking you to pay more for.
Sorry but this still sounds like a straight up JC Penney effect at play here. If Nintendo had come out and said that the subscription model wouldn't have a $20 option for singular accounts and that the base price would be $34.99 across all accounts (with the presence of a family plan), then this wouldn't have been such a problem despite the fact that it would have been a worse deal than what we're getting. It seems like what you're frustrated with is just how the way the pricing plays with user psyche by tricking you into thinking it's a worse deal - even though again, the family alternative is still cheaper than the competition.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
Value is a different thing, it you think its worth it or not for what you get is a different topic.

Nintendo are the only console with a paid sub that will require you to pay more if you want other family members to play online with their own accounts.
No its not.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Different pricing scheme. A way cheaper no-frills online play option for 1 subscriber, not the same perks as in the pricier options. The market is free just like that. From that, you can frame bold statements that focus on one side of the story but in reality they make little difference.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
But he only wants to pay $20. This is how Microsoft and Sony do it. Nintendo should do it this way too
I see. I think Nintendo is taking the Spotify approach, where one account can be used by one person on one device at a time, while a Family Plan can be shared with multiple people (I think 6) across multiple devices. PS+ and Xbox LIVE only work on one console and only one person can use it at a time (unless you cheat by doing the 'active PS4' thing on PS4).

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So if they made it $34 for one or multiple accounts alike (still cheaper than the others) it would have been better? What?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017

...or alternatively...Nintendo are the only console with a paid sub that offers a discounted price for a single player subscription.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nobody cares about your family, ask them 5 bucks a year and you might even make a profit if you ever shoot out a couple of new kids.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
This forum finds a way to spin even good piece of Nintendo news into absolute hyperbole.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Closer to September will there be a Family subscription sharing thread on ERA? Good opportunity to save a fair bit of money if multiple people go on one subscription.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Cmon, they offer a solution for people like me that only have one account and you complain about have options?

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed this was more aimed towards people with multiple devices (each family member has their own Switch, facilitating games with one save file per (Mario Kart, Splatoon, etc...)

...or alternatively...Nintendo are the only console with a paid sub that offers a discounted price for a single player subscription.

I really am baffled they didn't initially announce it that way. I'd say that they had to have known you never announce the cheaper option first, but this is Nintendo.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Sorry but this still sounds like a straight up JC Penney effect at play here. If Nintendo had come out and said that the subscription model wouldn't have a $20 option for singular accounts and that the base price would be $34.99 across all accounts (with the presence of a family plan), then this wouldn't have been such a problem despite the fact that it would have been a worse deal than what we're getting. It seems like what you're frustrated with is just how the way the pricing plays with user psyche by tricking you into thinking it's a worse deal - even though again, the family alternative is still cheaper than the competition.
^ This.