• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Remember Prince of Persia? I sure do, it's one of my favorite gaming franchises that has sadly faded away. Did you know that people still make mods, new levels and discover new tricks and glitches for it years after its original release? Here's some examples of some cool tricks and glitches:

These are just a few examples, there's a total of 40 here on this page with explanations. But here's the thing, these tricks and glitches don't break the game, they add to it. Hell, people even made new levels where you have to know the particularities of how the game works and the glitches to actually beat levels. Here's an example of a custom level like this:

There's completely new levels that don't require glitches too of course, there's even a goddamn randomizer mod/level even (called Random Tournament), and you can try that easily with the Prince of Persia 1 Total Pack tool, which is a program that allows you to search the online database to easily download and play mods and modify the experience (for example, use the SNES graphics) to your liking.

k8MQ1xA.png

You wanna try making your own level even? That is easy, there are several tools to make your custom levels like apoplexy that can be used to make PoP1 (DOS and SNES) and PoP2 custom levels.

zhhMStY.png

What I mean to say with this thread is: Prince of Persia is good. Play Prince of Persia.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the original Prince of Persia so much. I wish Ubisoft would bring the franchise back.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time still highly rated on my top ten.

Oct 25, 2017
That's really neat and I didn't know there was a modding community. I wonder if people do speedruns too.

I remember the black-and-white Mac version and possibly one of the color versions had at least one potion that seemed impossible to get, and/or a switch that was impossible to get. I wonder if glitches could let you get to those strange, mysterious parts of levels. I also wonder if you can somehow glitch past your obnoxious mirror self who normally slams the gate at the end of one level.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Loved the stealth sections in The Two Thrones, the only Prince of Persia game that I played properly. I wish they'd bring it back.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
I never knew this. So it's kinda like Doom for platform games. Pretty neat. I might take some custom stuff for a spin.

OP
OP
plausible unnatural
Oct 29, 2017
That's really neat and I didn't know there was a modding community. I wonder if people do speedruns too.

I remember the black-and-white Mac version and possibly one of the color versions had at least one potion that seemed impossible to get, and/or a switch that was impossible to get. I wonder if glitches could let you get to those strange, mysterious parts of levels. I also wonder if you can somehow glitch past your obnoxious mirror self who normally slams the gate at the end of one level.

Speedruns are a thing, but I don't know if there's anyone actively doing them anymore. There was one at AGDQ a few years back.

I don't know which potion/switch you are referring to, but there's usually some sort of hidden path that you can explore if you break tiles that are above you or in other areas. You can only get past the Dark Prince at one point, but it doesn't really affect anything, he's still gonna make the gate close and make you fall.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I was just wondering if there was a easy way to play the Mac versions of Prince of Persia 1 and 2 (the ones with higher res graphics) on PC

dNnP1GN.png

Lc419WY.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering if there was a easy way to play the Mac versions of Prince of Persia 1 and 2 (the ones with higher res graphics) on PC

dNnP1GN.png

Lc419WY.png

Nothing easy that I know of unfortunately. You could try this https://basilisk.cebix.net/, but it's not simple. Although for POP1 it's not the best version - that would be SNES overall, or X68K if you want a more faithful version (SNES is closer to a remake).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting Ubisoft.

It's been almost 10 years since the last game.
It's never happening. The entire reason AC happened was because Ubi wanted their own IP rather than use someone else's IP. AC started off basically as PoP replacement until it became a whole different thing. You could say the sands of time in PoP are now forgotten sands ! :P

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Retrospective on the PoP games:

Let's bring the series back! (somehow...)

Lol, that Mega Drive version wasn't "solid", it sucked. Disappointing he didn't spend any time talking about the X68K version of POP1 of the MAC versions of POP1/2, which were the standout ports.

I think Ubi still have a stake in POP so Mechner can't do anything, and they don't seem to want to do anything.