Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

I'm surprised how much that looks like a Bethesda Studios game, but with a better dialogue tree and worse combat.

HAdoubleRY

Feb 22, 2018
You think so? To me the art direction really reminded me of Bioshock if anything. The art deco signs and all. If Bioshock was a little bit more liberal in its use of really saturated colors, maybe.
I was moreso talking about the outside environments, mostly the color palette. I can see where you're coming from if you're referring to the inside environments, for sure.

Reminds me more of Bioshock as well, and kind of the color palette from No Mans Sky.
The red and green combinations evoke Destiny to me, or yes, maybe No Man's Sky.

Krauser Kat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that ship flying is fucking a
animation1ozcms.gif

animation2ccf11.gif

animation3mtcrb.gif
that ship flying is way too slow. This game looks fun though.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You cannot have a voiced protagonist in a RPG where where ability score checks exist in dialogue and where you create a character. In RPGs where ability score checks govern everything (like a proper RPG should), it means you can create a character that has a particular personality and makes particular choices, because quests and world interactions are designed to take into account the ability scores, so they can design quests that can progress different paths based on choices you make in dialogue - you can't be manipulative in dialogue if for example you have low speech ability score - maybe you put points into strength because you want to be a brutish character - and you will have options in the game that make use of that score, so game progression changes based on the type of character you create and roleplay. It's impossible to voice act so many personalities and way they must sound - this is why a game like The Witcher 3, where Geralt has a predefined voice and personality, has little ability score checks in dialogue because they can't have dialogue options that would be jarring to his voice/personality, same goes for Mass Effect with Shepherd, these are specific characters, those games you can't really roleplay a character like you can in Fallout: New Vegas or whatever, because in F:NV so much of the game is designed around ability scores, so the type of character you make will define how it can progress.

I can't think of any full out RPGs that have a voiced player character, it practically doesn't work with the RPG systems and the fact you can't voice act so many permutations of personality.

I disagree. I think you can roleplay fine with voiced protagonist. Shepard is not a fixed personality in the same way that Geralt is.

Not to mention, just because you can image whatever tone or inclination with a mute protagonist, it doesn't mean the NPC you're talking to will react to it (obviously). That is, there is still a very much singular delivery that, if not spoken out loud, is implicit in the game. Ability scores checks might increase the number of lines you would need to record, but it's certainly not an impossible task, maybe a expensive one though. But depending on the size of the game, it might be cheaper than Mass Effect or The Witcher.

Oct 30, 2017
So happy that there is no player voice. I just hope that somehow the files become moddable. I am kind of over bullet sponges in these types of games. I usually want everyone including the player dying in 1-3 hits. It kind of turns 3D Fallout games and Far Cry 2-4 into rainbow six style games.

If not, melee looked cool.

Destiny 2 female character voice during the Forsaken story reminded me of why I always remove the player voice in Fallout 4. I am so glad that it is gone.

Also I hope that your background goes no further than "Captain". It is funny how New Vegas is the only RPG of that style where I am not immediately reaching for an alternate start mod.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the only thing I saw in that Gane Informer video i didn't like was walking with the gun out at all times. Hopefully there is a holster weapon command.

Otherwise pretty much sold.

If this is the next evolution for obsidian as they join Microsoft, wow MS got a deal

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
In my ideal word, most games would not have voice acting. Most of it is very bad! Even in this short gameplay footage, there are some terrible line reads. It's like no one ever lets the writers supervise the recording sessions.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
The combat looks kinda mediocre, to be honest. Hoped for a unique twist to the combat or something, oh well. Passive buffs aint it. But I like being able to kill everyone!
And yeah holster that damn pistol.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
God damn Obsidian is back. I'm glad MS picked them up. Excited for the future. This game looks amazing too

Tattarus

Mar 16, 2018
Italy
The game looks fantastic and everything the developer said hypes me but I must admit that the combat seems lackluster...

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized if you always select the [DUMB] skill tree, you're basically playing the entire game as Star-Lord.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
This game looks phenomenal as a AA-title. It just makes me really want Outer Worlds 2 with a AAA backing much more because so MUCH more could be achieved. Heck with that game, ship combat, bigger worlds, more depth, romance, good combat (343 could help with first person gunplay and Coalition will help with third person gunplay), and a much higher IQ is certainly possible.

So far of what I've noticed and heard there's 3 things I don't like. I don't like that there's no romance (I get why, but in these games it makes me more immersed), not being able to put things into a container (probably is a generic one), and how companions share the same inventory as you (which I really don't like). Besides that though, I can't wait. It's funny how a AA title looks better than BGS titles like Fallout 4, though I don't think this one is completely open world, just several open hubs.

Oh, and Obsidian (and Microsoft seeing as there was that modding platform they're going to do for Xbox and PC), please bring modding to the game.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea what kind of size and scope we should expect?

Isnt Private division meant to be "smallish" games?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
[Dumb] only seems to be an option every now and then, and you can still access all the other, supposedly intelligent, dialog options.
Guess it's there more for the humor of it than to actually roleplay as a dumbo?

I'd like to be properly dumb.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Any idea what kind of size and scope we should expect?

Isnt Private division meant to be "smallish" games?
It'll be a AA-game that looks close to a AAA game. Big hubs (not sure how big honestly), but not completely open world, and so on. As I mentioned before, this just makes me want Outer Worlds 2 so much more because of an actual AAA budget and help from MS Studios in certain areas.

rakhir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty much buying everything Obsidian does, so day 0 for me. Those guys earned my trust.

[Dumb] only seems to be an option every now and then, and you can still access all the other, supposedly intelligent, dialog options.
Guess it's there more for the humor of it than to actually roleplay as a dumbo?

I'd like to be properly dumb.
In Arcanum they make all the game playable by a complete moron, and it was absolutely hillarious when your companions where trying to tell you that you are a saviour and a ressurection of a god and all you could reply to that was close to "durrr"

I don't think that would work in something like this game, but [dumb] options are close.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Why is this such a big deal?

I only said it's a disappointment. And it is. After cinematic RPGs like Mass Effect and The Witcher, I would expect similar RPGs to have a voiced protagonist. It helps with the flow of the game and make dialogues way more organic. Non voiced protagonist can work too, as indeed they did for many games before, but we're not talking about them.

Overall I'd say it's not a big disappointment, only a significant one. But being a game with a lower budget I can understand the decision. There are other things to prioritize.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I only said it's a disappointment. And it is. After cinematic RPGs like Mass Effect and The Witcher, I would expect similar RPGs to have a voiced protagonist. It helps with the flow of the game and make dialogues way more organic. Non voiced protagonist can work too, as indeed they did for many games before, but we're not talking about them.

Overall I'd say it's not a big disappointment, only a significant one. But being a game with a lower budget I can understand the decision. There are other things to prioritize.
Games like Mass Effect and The Witcher have a set character. Games like Fallout and this game do not, and so having a voice actor only serves to restrict a player's ability to create a personality for their character.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks rather old-fashioned, mostly in a good way. Walking around sticking your gun in your crew members faces looks pretty dumb though.

it serves a design purpose, to be easier for the player to judge space, distances and position relative to the world of the game. gamedesign > realism/simulation