Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
20201110_193916.jpg

TheSixAxis (9/10)
A larger more ambitious game from Giant Squid that shares influences with Breath of the Wild only to subvert it in clever ways: retooling a bow as an ingenious mode of traversal and puzzle solving, an open world with no map, and a shooter where you don't have to aim. It's an accessible and streamlined approach making for an unmissable adventure to lose yourself in.

The Pathless is a wonderfully different game that makes you feel like you have ownership over the entire experience and are not being led along by a pre-scripted playbook.

The Pathless is the next great indie adventure. Whether the joy you take from it is in its unique and super-slick traversal mechanics, or the arresting world and faultless artistry, there's no denying that Giant Squid has absolutely nailed it. If I could somehow travel back in time and get lost in this game all over again, I would. While I can't speak to the experience on Windows or Apple devices, I believe this is one for the PlayStation 5 players most of all. This world needs to be taken in at its most visually rich, and the unique properties of the DualSense heighten its gameplay even further. If you only pick one, non-AAA exclusive for your next-gen PlayStation, pick this one.

There's a narrative reason for why this game is called The Pathless, but the name is also a reference to how it's supposed to be played. It's an open-world puzzle game with emphases on exploration and skilled traversal, and you are meant to wander and experience its world as you find it, rather than as a series of checklist objectives. The Pathless' vast, puzzle-filled nature creates a nice, quiet space for running through the woods, lining up some tricky shots with your bow, and losing yourself in the moment.

I hope it isn't lost amongst the PS5's bigger, noisier releases, as it's something different and uplifting. It's rare to find such tension and threat in a game that's also so peaceful, but Giant Squid has managed it. In truth we could all do with a bit of light in our lives at the moment

Like previous effort ABZÛ before it, The Pathless leans heavily into the gorgeous cell-shaded world, and it does so with gameplay and story that keeps you locked and engaged for the entirety of its 10 hour story run. Comparisons to games like Shadow of the Colossus and Journey are apt, but seeing the world rush by at 4K and 60fps is a thing of beauty. Come for the frenetic gameplay, stay for the art.

It's the sheer size of The Pathless that I love. And I mean size in a very specific sense. You can race through this whole adventure and be done in four hours, probably less. But when you're on the ground or in the air the game often feels endless: clear and spacious, slopes and contours and steppes in every direction. Such echoing realms of grass and rock. Such volumes of cold air. It's thrilling.

inverse(8/10)​
If you enjoy the "open-air" style of open-world game established by Breath of the Wild, you shouldn't miss out on The Pathless, especially if you're picking up a PS5.

Everyeye Italy 9
PSX Brasil - 85%

Video Reviews:

Kinda Funny Games:

DualShockers:

IGN

The Pathless combines a simple but fun movement system and a world brimming with secrets to uncover.
8/10

Metacritic: 81 On PS5 version
OpenCritic: 83

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This game looks and sounds fantastic. Not sure if i should get the PS4/5 edition or the PC version since the game seems to support adaptive triggers of the Dualsense. Either way looking foward to playing it!

Last edited:

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Another sleeper hit, wow!
With this and Bugsnax, Sony really did a good choice for their exclusivity deals!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, this launch is way better than the PS4 launch. What a shit show that was. I would be very busy with 2k21 and DS before I get to this game tho.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild + Journey + Vanquish? SIGN ME UP

Oct 24, 2019
Wow, the PS5 launch lineup is fucking stacked:

-Astro's Playroom
-Miles Morales
-Demon's Souls
-Sackboy
-Pathless
-Bugsnax
-AC: Valhalla

Goddamn, it's going to be tough prioritizing what to play lol

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing cannot wait! Have itbpre ordered already. And love the fact that they made it cross buy with PS4 as well

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this looks excellent! I bet the shooting is super satisfying with the DualSense. Sigh, guess I'll pick this up as well :D

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Abzu, will pick this up on PS5 (if I ever find one). This should look really nice at 4K / 60 FPS / HDR(?)

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
fantastic review! another indie partnered with Ps5 that looks like it's made for me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And remember Kena was going to be another launch title... wow. But yeah, this game has been on my radar ever since they showed it in that State of Play.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Abzu was amazing so I'm very much looking forward to this. Honestly the PS5 launch lineup is looking super varied with great games and it's awesome. Even though this is an indie title I hope this doesn't get overlooked against the bigger titles.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Will check it out via Apple Arcade. Been eyeing this game ever since it was revealed, glad it's reviewing well!

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
damn man this launch keeps getting better and better. PS5 is off to a hot start...now if only I could get mine on time -_-

The game looked awesome from day 1 honestly. Most likely be another holiday game for me. That OST sample poster earlier is dope too

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it's good. Does this have a PS4 to ps5 upgrade?

Edit:.
It is! $40 on psn. Cross buy in either direction.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I hope it isn't lost amongst the PS5's bigger, noisier releases, as it's something different and uplifting. It's rare to find such tension and threat in a game that's also so peaceful, but Giant Squid has managed it. In truth we could all do with a bit of light in our lives at the moment.

I know I'm being a pedant, but this reads like a blurb designed for five months ago, not now. 2020 is actually rounding off to quite a positive end!

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the IGN video, is it just me or are they giving everything an 8? lmao.
OT though, can't wait for the physical release.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
The forced stealth sections with those god beings are a deal breaker for me. Not sure why you would put that in game that encourages constant movement and transversal. Not sure how I feel about the puzzle sections as well....