Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine when they first came out. It has 2 dp and one HDMI slot. It is this one Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Phoenix GS . You are right the motherboard i have (x470 aorus ultra gaming) does have an hdmi which i didn't notice before. There is no build in gpu or so i thought though. I will try connecting my tv to that. Did that. The tv gets no signal.
Ah X470, yes your CPU won't have a built-in GPU so the slot won't work. Glad you got it sorted anyway.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a bit of a problem with my ROG Strix 1080Ti. I have it overclocked at the moment, +75 on the core and about +350 on the memory. I tried overclocking it a bit higher on the core (at about +90), but for some reason it drops the GPU usage to 75%, then 50% (this in turn drops FPS, naturally) and won't recover unless I restart the computer. The first thing I looked at was thermals, it hovered at around 65-70C, which to me seem fine on a air cooled card. What could be causing this behavior, is the card toast or what's up :/

Rig:
1080TI strix
i5-8600K @ 4.7Ghz (1.31V)
16Gb @ 3000Mhz
650W Seasonic gold PSU

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
Assuming the situation with coronavirus doesn't get better any time soon, do we expect both Ryzen 4000 Desktop and New Nvidia cards to be delayed?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New set up! Recently moved into a new flat and naturally that was a good opportunity for a new desk.
TzpZJ1v.jpg

5Bt9U6n.jpg

Tq6e3mA.jpg

7WEPhPz.jpg

uDxBPFP.jpg

wPPZ0PX.jpg

agoMBLs.jpg

PS4 controller for scale.

MSI Ventus (Non-OC version) RTX 2080 modified with a Kraken G12 and Corsair H55 installed in the rear fan slot (just fits) exhausting air through the rad and out the case. I replaced the G12's fan with a Noctua 92mm fan and its great. Quiet and powerful. Thankfully the Ventus is one of the few models that can have a G12 installed without having to remove the back plate. Even the OC Ventus needs it removed!

Ryzen 3700X cooled with a NZXT Kraken X62 with 2 Noctua 140mm fans in the front pulling air in the case and through the rad.

Also installed an NZXT USB Hub (which required a molex cable... seriously NZXT??) because my ROG B450-I only has 1 USB header and I required two! (One for the X62 and another for the H200i's smart fan hub)

Top fan is also an exhaust, totalling 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans in all.

Believe it or not I actually have a 2TB HDD installed in the bottom of the case between the PSU and the X62 rad... Trust me its a miracle that thing fit in there. Looks relatively clean up front but round the back its a mess. Next purchase will definitely be some SFF PSU cables since I am using a EVGA G2 650w, but damn are cables expensive!

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My monitor of use since 2015 went bust, and since it was out of warranty, the repair was wicked expensive.

So the alternative was a new one, and went for the Asus XG27UQ. It's both 4K and 144Hz, which I'm really excited about. I know, only low demanding games will take advantage of both those things for now, but hopefully RTX 3000 can help with that later this year.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. All my parts are ordered now. Going to convert my existing PC to a NAS once all is said and done.

3700x
NZXT Kraken X62
G skill TridentZ 32gb DDR4 3200
250GB Samsung 970 evo plus
2 TB WD Black
NZXT H510 elite

I've already got my 650W PSU and the 2080 Super.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
im so tempted to buy a new cpu, mobo and cooler and taking my old parts from my current PC and making a frankenstein build. would the ADM Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core be a substantial upgrade from an i7 6700 (non k)? it is on sale on newegg right now I believe

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
So I've update my ram, mobo and cpu so far. Looking into graphics next, but pc part picker is saying I have compatibility issues with my power supply. Have a thermal take tr2 430 w psu currently. Can someone explain this issue as I'd still be under the estimated wattage?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So I've update my ram, mobo and cpu so far. Looking into graphics next, but pc part picker is saying I have compatibility issues with my power supply. Have a thermal take tr2 430 w psu currently. Can someone explain this issue as I'd still be under the estimated wattage?
Without seeing the compatibility message, if it's this PSU, best guess is the PCI-E power cable. You've got 1x6-pin, while most midrange-and-up GPU's need at least 1x8-pin. You're probably looking at replacing your PSU, or going with a lower-end GPU (depending on your requirements/budget).

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
So with Ryzen 3800, should I be using the Balanced or High Performance power plan?

Edit: Or is there a preferred custom plan I should d/l and install?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Have you tried it with one ram stick. Also I think ryzen takes a little while for a first time boot to post

I just went a head and took it to a shop just to have them deal with it since I'm working 6 shifts this week and at this point the hassle of trial and error wasn't worth the time. Picking it up in the morning so hopefully whatever it was was a non issue for the shop. And finally my cable management won't be shit.

PG35VQ comes in tomorrow. Can't wait.

Any HDR/highFramerate/ultrawide showcase games to boot up when I install?

Also, what all do I have to do to get Gsync working? Is it pretty "plug and play"?

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone wanna help me out, pulling my hair with this problem :(

I have a bit of a problem with my ROG Strix 1080Ti. I have it overclocked at the moment, +75 on the core and about +350 on the memory. I tried overclocking it a bit higher on the core (at about +90), but for some reason it drops the GPU usage to 75%, then 50% (this in turn drops FPS, naturally) and won't recover unless I restart the computer. The first thing I looked at was thermals, it hovered at around 65-70C, which to me seem fine on a air cooled card. What could be causing this behavior, is the card toast or what's up :/

Rig:
1080TI strix
i5-8600K @ 4.7Ghz (1.31V)
16Gb @ 3000Mhz
650W Seasonic gold PSU

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Build is complete -

NZXT H710 case
9-9900k (going to OC to probably 5.3 or 2)
2070 super zotac super twin
1tb Samsung evo 970 NVme M.2
TridentZ 16gb ram at 3200 MHz (May overclock)
X72 for cooling

LG 27GL850-B monitor

thanks for all the help I got in here over the last week!

opted to skip out on a 2080 super because I'm going to buy the 3080 on release anyway (then possibly the ti variant when it drops a year later)
Just needed a good baseline build around that card and a good card in the meantime until 3xxx is announced

Sophie

Oct 28, 2017
What's a good but not overpriced motherboard that's compatible with Ryzen CPU's?

Ideally it should be compatible with DDR4 RAM above 3200MHz as that's the max on my current, and I'd like to upgrade my RAM soon as well.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good but not overpriced motherboard that's compatible with Ryzen CPU's?

Ideally it should be compatible with DDR4 RAM above 3200MHz as that's the max on my current, and I'd like to upgrade my RAM soon as well.

MSI b450 tomahawk max. And if you need wifi and Bluetooth then the B450 gaming pro carbon.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Build is complete -

NZXT H710 case
9-9900k (going to OC to probably 5.3 or 2)
2070 super zotac super twin
1tb Samsung evo 970 NVme M.2
TridentZ 16gb ram at 3200 MHz (May overclock)
X72 for cooling

LG 27GL850-B monitor

thanks for all the help I got in here over the last week!

opted to skip out on a 2080 super because I'm going to buy the 3080 on release anyway (then possibly the ti variant when it drops a year later)
Just needed a good baseline build around that card and a good card in the meantime until 3xxx is announced
I wish my build had more than 1 tb NVME but omg is that stuff expensive

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New set up! Recently moved into a new flat and naturally that was a good opportunity for a new desk.
TzpZJ1v.jpg

5Bt9U6n.jpg

Tq6e3mA.jpg

7WEPhPz.jpg

uDxBPFP.jpg

wPPZ0PX.jpg

agoMBLs.jpg

MSI Ventus (Non-OC version) RTX 2080 modified with a Kraken G12 and Corsair H55 installed in the rear fan slot (just fits) exhausting air through the rad and out the case. I replaced the G12's fan with a Noctua 92mm fan and its great. Quiet and powerful. Thankfully the Ventus is one of the few models that can have a G12 installed without having to remove the back plate. Even the OC Ventus needs it removed!

Ryzen 3700X cooled with a NZXT Kraken X62 with 2 Noctua 140mm fans in the front pulling air in the case and through the rad.

Also installed an NZXT USB Hub (which required a molex cable... seriously NZXT??) because my ROG B450-I only has 1 USB header and I required two! (One for the X62 and another for the H200i's smart fan hub)

Believe it or not I actually have a 2TB HDD installed in the bottom of the case between the PSU and the X62 rad... Trust me its a miracle that thing fit in there. Looks relatively clean up front but round the back its a mess. Next purchase will definitely be some SFF PSU cables since I am using a EVGA G2 650w, but damn are cables expensive!
Nice, glad I'm not the only motherfucker crazy enough to run two AiO's in an ITX build.

Going ATX next though. I need more overclocking performance from my CPU.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
TzpZJ1v.jpg

5Bt9U6n.jpg

Tq6e3mA.jpg

7WEPhPz.jpg

uDxBPFP.jpg

wPPZ0PX.jpg

agoMBLs.jpg

Very nice! That is a cool little minified normal PC case!

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Anyone wanna help me out, pulling my hair with this problem :(
Sounds like a pretty simple unstable overclock/TDP wall to me. Try dropping it back to stock.

Yeah, that's probably about as high as you can get on that card, your problem is probably hitting the power limit unless you've raised it. Since you have some thermal headroom you could try raising the power limit and see if that makes the overclock stable.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's probably about as high as you can get on that card, your problem is probably hitting the power limit unless you've raised it. Since you have some thermal headroom you could try raising the power limit and see if that makes the overclock stable.
I should have the power limit maxed in MSI Afterburner. Thanks everyone for your help!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize adaptive sync was just marketing speak for freesync lol
Have to wait for my 2070s to come in to use gsync because I spent 3 hours trying to get it to work on a 960 -.-

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
im so tempted to buy a new cpu, mobo and cooler and taking my old parts from my current PC and making a frankenstein build. would the ADM Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core be a substantial upgrade from an i7 6700 (non k)? it is on sale on newegg right now I believe
I upgraded from a 6700k to 3950x and for high frame rates at 1440p it's definitely worth it. If I were going for that 60fps life I doubt it would matter as much. The worst case frames are just so much better than they were before. Granted I had upgraded to a 2080ti towards the end of the 6700k's run and that's also bit out of balance with a 6700k. I'd say as a general rule, whenever I upgrade my CPU after 3+ years it's always more noticeable than I think it's going to be.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
I really wish more of the Logitech G and Razer KB&M were bluetooth. Looking for a good set that is not dongle/wireless but bluetooth to avoid the shitty interference dongles seem to get. Looking for a quality set but I will be gaming with controller 95% of the time.

Also a RGB nut, so if they include that it would be nice. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Harle

Oct 25, 2017
One of the two pci-e cable (6+2 pin cable) can't fit on the PSU, and it came with it.

Both sides of the cable fit on the GPU without problem, so it's only the PSU.

No problem with the other 8 pin cable, goes all right on the PSU and GPU.

FlyStarJay

Jan 7, 2018
hey, when installing a fan, how do i switch the fans from inflow to outflow or vice versa? do i do it through the motherboard or somewhere else?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
hey, when installing a fan, how do i switch the fans from inflow to outflow or vice versa? do i do it through the motherboard or somewhere else?

You physically turn it around. There's usually an arrow on top (or around the frame somewhere) that shows airflow- and/or rotation direction.

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought all the parts for a new PC and it will be here monday...my current PC build has lasted me 8 years. I started on Win 7 and upgraded the OS to Win 10 Pro when msft allowed the free upgrade at Win 10 launch. The last time I had to set up an OS on my personal computer it required a phoen call to MS for activation.

Whats the process now if I want to transfer the OS from my current computer to the new one once it's built? I will be just popping the OS HDD into the new computer and I'll assume it should just boot up without too much issue but Id still like to wipe and re-install Win 10...I have no idea what my key is or how it's activated.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I finally put together my very first PC. I've very happy with it. The cable management in the back can probably be improved but it's not that bad I don't think.

ckK7eXH.jpg

yGq5eNa.jpg

P6YXryt.jpg

VpVIdhL.jpg

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Just bought all the parts for a new PC and it will be here monday...my current PC build has lasted me 8 years. I started on Win 7 and upgraded the OS to Win 10 Pro when msft allowed the free upgrade at Win 10 launch. The last time I had to set up an OS on my personal computer it required a phoen call to MS for activation.

Whats the process now if I want to transfer the OS from my current computer to the new one once it's built? I will be just popping the OS HDD into the new computer and I'll assume it should just boot up without too much issue but Id still like to wipe and re-install Win 10...I have no idea what my key is or how it's activated.
As you guessed the activation process has changed and you'll need to check if your Windows license is registered to your MS account and if its not you'll need to find your key.
The following link walks through the activation process, which is simpler than the old process, but could still trip you up if you haven't prepared properly.

Oct 29, 2017
This is my current GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qK...-gts-black-edition-oc-video-card-rx-580p8dbd6

Are there any suggestions on good upgrades for around $300?
Are you playing at 1080p? At $300 is a tossup between a RTX 2060 or a 5600XT, but neither are "future proof" in the sense that you wouldn't also need to upgrade from them if you wanted to go for hither resolution as next gen comes.

That said, if you are unhappy with the performance you are getting out of your 580, best bang for the buck at the moment I say is the Radeon RX 5600 XT (because of the free game bundles with RE3), either a SAPPHIRE PULSE or a GIGABYTE GAMING OC.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Question: Can you RMA memory if it's unable to run stable at XMP speeds? I keep getting BSODs at random times exactly like my old computer. Bought a USB stick and tried a memtest and I got 2 errors on test 6. Nothing else is overclocked just the ram at it's xmp profile.

DDR4 just sucks. :/

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I've sent this build earlier this week, but do you think it's a legit upgrade over what I have now?

What I want to build/upgrade to: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gM2CCL

What I have now:

CPU: i7-6700K Stock
CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 (yes it's that damn old)
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170
RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 (4x8GB) (Replacing these to go to 3600 so I can do 1:1 with Infinity Fabric)
Storage 1: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO
Storage 2: 4TB HGST 7200RPM (Keeping in the new build)
Video Card: EVGA RTX 2080 (Keeping in the new build)
Case: Phanteks Evolv ATX
PSU: NZXT Hale90 750W 80+ Gold (this thing is over 10 years old)

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I've sent this build earlier this week, but do you think it's a legit upgrade over what I have now?

What I want to build/upgrade to: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gM2CCL

What I have now:

CPU: i7-6700K Stock
CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 (yes it's that damn old)
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170
RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 (4x8GB) (Replacing these to go to 3600 so I can do 1:1 with Infinity Fabric)
Storage 1: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO
Storage 2: 4TB HGST 7200RPM (Keeping in the new build)
Video Card: EVGA RTX 2080 (Keeping in the new build)
Case: Phanteks Evolv ATX
PSU: NZXT Hale90 750W 80+ Gold (this thing is over 10 years old)
are you at 1080p, 1440p, etc? 60 hz?

if we're talking strictly gaming, I'm gonna say no not worth it (just imo, I also have a 6700k). if you're doing other stuff, then perhaps.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
are you at 1080p, 1440p, etc? 60 hz?

if we're talking strictly gaming, I'm gonna say no not worth it (just imo, I also have a 6700k). if you're doing other stuff, then perhaps.

144hz at 1440p for gaming mainly.
However I am looking to get a quicker l quieter case with overall better performance and a clean, uniform look. Plus, that NVMe is apparently really goddamn good. Especially for load times and file transfers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.