• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
What itx case is that? Looks like the Dan A4. Smaller than I thought and fits a 2080ti. You have a glass side panel I'm guessing from the rgb strip?
It is the Dan A4 V3. No, I don't have a glass panel. Cooling is already limiting enough. As seen in the pic, the RGB is bright enough to shine through the holes in side panel.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Just a phillip screwdriver. Might need a small head one if the screws threads are tiny, the smallest are use for the M.2 mounting.

In my latest build (9700K + 2080TI), that's all I use.

Case.jpg

CPU.jpg

GPU.jpg
Won't your CPU throttle with that cooler?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't reach its max clock speed?

I'm not sure what you're getting after here.

The 9 series (and 9900k in particular) will overclock by default on most motherboards. When you build a SFF system then you will need to consider your use case and thermals. Usually you'll need to put in the work to keep these from overclocking (and blowing way past rated TDP). I was running an 8700k at stock 8700 speeds for some time in a SFF case.

The whole concept of "throttle" is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion b/c you can clearly be running above base clocks into the "turbo" range and people will stay something is throttling. I see it with GPUs too. Like not overclocking to max is now throttling. Intel's max boost clocks are also supposed to only be sustained for a short period of time before dropping down, so that's another can of worms. Sorry for the rant, I've read so much nonsense about how the Mac Mini performs with the 8700 in it, makes my head spin.

And yeah I'm a big fan of SFF PC's.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's gonna be amusing seeing AMD hold the power consumption and possibly performance crown in just a couple months or so.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
To keep it short, I haven't used a Windows desktop of my *own* in about 10 years. I've been on OS X. Recently I was going to purchase a 2015 retina MacBook Pro for $800 but decided against it ultimately for a iPad Pro and a PC build instead. Total budget was about $1,000 and I have $435 into the iPad. So with those amounts, I'd like to keep it close.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: *MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team - L5 LITE 3D 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: *Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.34 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: *EVGA - BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $655.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-05 02:57 EDT-0400

Regarding the build, I tweaked one of the upper-mid tier AMD builds in the OP to bring the price down. Are these parts still the most relevant options in today's market?

One thing you'll notice is that I swapped the 1060 for a 580 and also changed the CPU to a 2600X. To justify this, I am hoping to use this PC as mostly a tool for school & gaming — 70/30 respectively. I usually have 10+ tabs running in Safari, YouTube, Office apps and Preview (pdfs mostly).

As for gaming, I'm not into it very much anymore but I wouldn't mind getting 60FPS on High to Ultra settings on games like Skyrim, GTAV, or possibly something fast-moving like CSGO. Ultra is not a necessity right now as I'm focusing on schoolwork but I would like to at least have the option to play *most* current games without my fans blowing out.

For my needs, am I doing positioning myself better by downgrading the GPU but maintaining a higher CPU? Or would this handicap me in the beginning?

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
For my needs, am I doing positioning myself better by downgrading the GPU but maintaining a higher CPU? Or would this handicap me in the beginning?
Nah, you're mostly good, just some minor changes I would do.

My Suggestion

1. 2600 is still the better value, the performance in games is within 3-5 frames at most from what I've seen, nothing worth spending extra.
2. Went with the Inland SSD, just because it seems to be more better reviews than the Team one.
3. Went with a different video card, last gen MSI Armor coolers were terrible, Sapphire coolers are great, the Nitro+ cooler is better than the Pulse's and quiter too by 3 decibels but that costs $210
4. Change the case to a cheaper one while offering the same features and much airflow.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($85.81 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Inland - 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar - MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.85 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $670.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-05 03:46 EDT-0400

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they might be about on par or slightly better than Skylake IPC, at least in certain workloads.

Clock for clock, maybe. I still doubt they'll be able to hit 5GHz, we should temper our expectations here: 4.4 - 4.5 GHz might be the maximum. The 9900k might hold the gaming crown until multi core performance really takes off. If you want to squish out those extra fps to go from 125 to 135 fps you'll have to go with intel.
That's said: I'm on a 2700x currently and I will upgrade asap. AMD is good now and will become even better (probably) and 4.4GHz on 16c/32t would be impressive on it's own.
It's not confirmed, but a consumer 16c/32t CPU really excites me. No idea why I need that many cores, but it finally feels like we are moving again.

Any news ? of Ryzen Gen 3 Release Date ?
I need upgrade my pc now.

Q3/2019 is the latest thing that floats around.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to activate AMD rewards codes without the hardware? It seems they scan for the hardware and the old methods don't work.

Edit: Figured out a "new" method.

Last edited:

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
figured this is the best place to ask. Im mainly a console gamer but i want to play stuff like Planet Coaster and the odd Sega PC port now and again such as yakuza zero etc can anyone recommend me a build for around £500

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I don't know either and I was wondering the same thing yesterday. My Cryorig H7 Plus was great for the money and now they don't seem to be being sold anywhere.
Yeah I was looking for an H7 (or even an M9i) and noticed that they're either out of stock or really marked up.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#m=436&sort=price&page=1

Wonder if Cryorig is having problems. Would suck if they went under...their budget air coolers are pretty good.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
figured this is the best place to ask. Im mainly a console gamer but i want to play stuff like Planet Coaster and the odd Sega PC port now and again such as yakuza zero etc can anyone recommend me a build for around £500
For that price it might be worth looking at a prebuild from somewhere like Scan, Aria, Overclockers etc.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was looking for an H7 (or even an M9i) and noticed that they're either out of stock or really marked up.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#m=436&sort=price&page=1

Wonder if Cryorig is having problems. Would suck if they went under...their budget air coolers are pretty good.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to do a revision of the H7 that doesn't suck on Ryzen systems due to the base plate geometry and are clearing out the pre-existing inventory.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between B350 and B450 boards?

B350 are from the previous gen, the Ryzen 1700x etc. B450 are from current gen, Ryzen 2700x etc. Alongside the upcoming Ryzen 3xxx (7nm Zen 2) release later this year, there will be another batch of motherboards with no doubt a B550 chipset.

Along with general refinements, improvements to RAM compatibility etc, a B350 board may need a BIOS update before it will boot a Ryzen 2xxx CPU. It is unknown how many boards will receive BIOS updates for Ryzen 3xxx support in the future - most are "supposed" to - but it seems very likely if a board does not it will be from the older 350 generation than the current.

B is the "budget" variant (though fine, they're not shit!), alongside in the marketplace is the higher end chipsets x370 / x470, which are similarly old/current gen.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i say £500 i mean theres some leeway but id wanna top out at about £600

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tTkfQZ

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£135.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£84.89 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£75.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£86.49 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card (£125.63 @ More Computers)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£45.73 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£48.48 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £603.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-05 16:04 BST+0100

6 core / 12 thread CPU, air cooler is included, should be able to hit 3.9-4.0 GHz.
Motherboard is nothing to go crazy about, but good enough.
RAM could be a bit faster, especially the timings, but DDR4-3000 is a good price/performance compromise. Especially at that price.
Good storage capacity: 1TB SSD isn't common at that price range. I'd buy a sata 6 SSD down the road to expand it though.
Graphic Card is good enough for modern AAA games at 1080p/60 and medium-high settings. 8GB is a must do imo.
PSU isn't awfully powerful, but it is a well known brand and 80+ bronze is appreciated at that price range.

£4 over your max limit, but I wouldn't give up on 8gb of video ram, 1TB of SSD storage or get a worse CPU because of it. If you want get a cheaper case.

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£75.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£86.49 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card (£125.63 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£48.48 @ Amazon UK)

6 core / 12 thread CPU, air cooler is included, should be able to hit 3.9-4.0 GHz.
RAM could be a bit faster, especially the timings, but DDR4-3000 is a good price/performance compromise. Especially at that price.
Good storage capacity: 1TB SSD isn't common at that price range. I'd buy a sata 6 SSD down the road to expand it though.
Graphic Card is good enough for modern AAA games at 1080p/60 and medium-high settings. 8GB is a must do imo.
PSU isn't awfully powerful, but it is a well known brand and 80+ bronze is appreciated at that price range.

£4 over your max limit, but I wouldn't give up on 8gb of video ram, 1TB of SSD storage or get a worse CPU because of it. If you want get a cheaper case.

thanks that seems like a good starting point

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

IIRC, the 2015 Corsair CXM is pretty bad - I'd say downgrading the case a bit to get the 2017 (grey label) CXM is well worth it.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
To keep it short, I haven't used a Windows desktop of my *own* in about 10 years. I've been on OS X. Recently I was going to purchase a 2015 retina MacBook Pro for $800 but decided against it ultimately for a iPad Pro and a PC build instead. Total budget was about $1,000 and I have $435 into the iPad. So with those amounts, I'd like to keep it close.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: *MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team - L5 LITE 3D 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: *Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.34 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: *EVGA - BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $655.08
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-05 02:57 EDT-0400

Regarding the build, I tweaked one of the upper-mid tier AMD builds in the OP to bring the price down. Are these parts still the most relevant options in today's market?

One thing you'll notice is that I swapped the 1060 for a 580 and also changed the CPU to a 2600X. To justify this, I am hoping to use this PC as mostly a tool for school & gaming — 70/30 respectively. I usually have 10+ tabs running in Safari, YouTube, Office apps and Preview (pdfs mostly).

As for gaming, I'm not into it very much anymore but I wouldn't mind getting 60FPS on High to Ultra settings on games like Skyrim, GTAV, or possibly something fast-moving like CSGO. Ultra is not a necessity right now as I'm focusing on schoolwork but I would like to at least have the option to play *most* current games without my fans blowing out.

why go midtower with this build and not itx instead? Do you plan on putting in more drives?

Oct 27, 2017
We need to know a little more:

You want G-Sync/FreeSync?
What resolution will you be aiming for?
What Hz do you want?
What size screen?

Sure:

1) Currently have an AMD card but I think I'll change this year but yes I want one of those things (can you get monitors with both)
2) Probably 1440p
3) I don't know, honestly I've never really paid massive attention to FPS
4) Currently have 27" so definitely not smaller than that

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure:

1) Currently have an AMD card but I think I'll change this year but yes I want one of those things (can you get monitors with both)
2) Probably 1440p
3) I don't know, honestly I've never really paid massive attention to FPS
4) Currently have 27" so definitely not smaller than that
Nvidea recently announced the "G -Sync compatible" program, so yeh you can et some FreeSync monitors that will work with G-Sync.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors/
Take a look through that list and find one that fits your criteria.

If you don't find anything, you'll have to look at either G-Sync or FreeSync for now.

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidea recently announced the "G -Sync compatible" program, so yeh you can et some FreeSync monitors that will work with G-Sync.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors/
Take a look through that list and find one that fits your criteria.

If you don't find anything, you'll have to look at either G-Sync or FreeSync for now.

Thanks very much for that. I am fairly sure I'll go back to an Nvidia card so would you have any thoughts on a G-Sync monitor in that price range?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, if I want to save some money on my build, is it possible to reuse parts from OEM PCs? I am thinking of reusing an OEM 2TB HDD and CD/DVD RW drive with my new build. I already have a speedy SSD that'll go with the HDD. I heard some OEM makers lock hardware to their motherboard or something to prevent you from reusing them. I have an old Acer if that matters. Both the HDD and DVD drives are barely used and it very good condition.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Simply put it's latency. The real-world difference is not noticeable though.

If you are going to get the 4000Mhz sticks or new memory in general, just remember to look at your motherboard's QVL (qualified vendor list). If those particular sticks aren't listed, you could have compatibility or stability or overclocking issues.
I finally just found that list on my motherboard website thanks. just happened to go there to get the pdf for my manual and spotted it there

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
IIRC, the 2015 Corsair CXM is pretty bad - I'd say downgrading the case a bit to get the 2017 (grey label) CXM is well worth it.
The 2015 CXMs are the good ones.
You're thinking of green label CXMs which are not the 2015 revisions, they're the ones prior to that. The 2015 revisions are the grey labels ones, the only 2017 grey labels are a 750w that replaces a 2015 750w unit and a new 850w unit.

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, if I want to save some money on my build, is it possible to reuse parts from OEM PCs? I am thinking of reusing an OEM 2TB HDD and CD/DVD RW drive with my new build. I already have a speedy SSD that'll go with the HDD. I heard some OEM makers lock hardware to their motherboard or something to prevent you from reusing them. I have an old Acer if that matters. Both the HDD and DVD drives are barely used and it very good condition.
Unless they are too old, then the hard drive for certain, almost sure the disc drive too. Both should be using SATA cables for data and SATA power cables for power, but there is a chance the disc drive could be using a custom power cable ( although there's probably a work around for that, if software is not also a block as you mention). Locking a hard drive thru software to a brand is not something that I imagine is done by anyone.

Last edited:

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
1. 2600 is still the better value, the performance in games is within 3-5 frames at most from what I've seen, nothing worth spending extra.

Even with the price difference currently being ~$10? I'll eat the difference if it ultimately means a cooler chip out of the box.

why go midtower with this build and not itx instead? Do you plan on putting in more drives?

if we're talking SSDs, i'd wager i'd want +1 at some point — 1 HDD & 1 SSD. would an itx fit 2-3 drives?

edit: I did some poking around and I think the itx would put the build into an unwanted price point. the MB itself jumps up $50 for the same B450 but the case cuts down the price

Last edited:

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Even with the price difference currently being ~$10? I'll eat the difference if it ultimately means a cooler chip out of the box.
It's up to you if you think it's worth the difference, I personally don't think it is. I'd look into what games you're planning to play.

I'll eat the difference if it ultimately means a cooler chip out of the box.
2600X is a lightly OCed 2600, which means it'll run (slightly) hotter. I would look into third party coolers and not rely on stock.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the place to ask help with PC related problems as well?
I just came back home from work, my PC was in sleep mode but it appeared to have been rebooted, so it might have updated, but it also does weird shit where it wakes itself up from hibernate

anyways, my mouse or something windows related appears to have screwed up. My mouse moves super slowly and windows doesn't register any button clicks. I've tried changing USB ports and rebooting/shutting down multiple times.
Any idea what could cause this?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well shit, looks like I'm jumping in on this upgrade now, 9700K ordered, time for the rest. I currently have a mini ITX system, so will be buying mini ITX stuff again. I already have a case, CPU cooler, 1TB SSD, Nvidia 1080 and PSU, so motherboard and memory it is.

What I can re-use -

Case - Kolink Satellite Plus
GPU - EVGA nVidia GeForce 1080 FE
PSU - Silverstone SFX-L V2.0 500W
SSD - Crucial MX500 1TB
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S

What I plan to buy -

CPU - Intel 9700K (Already ordered)
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
Memory - Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 3333MHz (HX433C16PB3K2/16)

In the future, an M.2 drive, but not looking to blow the bank on that quite yet.

Anybody see anything wrong with my choices? Not planning to overclock, going by Noctua's site the cooler should handle the the 9700K at stock no problem.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks very much for that. I am fairly sure I'll go back to an Nvidia card so would you have any thoughts on a G-Sync monitor in that price range?

All the best monitors for 1440 27inch are a bit over your budget, but there are a few under that tick all the boxes. Really, you need to do the research here, read revoiews, etc... that's what all of us do wen we look. Both of the below monitors come with apparent issues if you read the lowest ratings in the reviews, but there are a good deal of positive reviews reporting no issues.

Bear in mind, I bought this monitor and it lists a bunch of similar stuff in the lower (1-3) ratings, but I have NONE of those issues with my own.

Slightly under budget: Dell S2716DG
Slightly over budget: Asus Rog Swift

Dell is £400-450
Asus is £550 or so

I noticed this site selling what seems to be a second hand or display model of the Asus for £100 less, but it list it as Grade C which says it looks used, not sure you want to spend 400 on something like that.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Is this the place to ask help with PC related problems as well?
I just came back home from work, my PC was in sleep mode but it appeared to have been rebooted, so it might have updated, but it also does weird shit where it wakes itself up from hibernate

anyways, my mouse or something windows related appears to have screwed up. My mouse moves super slowly and windows doesn't register any button clicks. I've tried changing USB ports and rebooting/shutting down multiple times.
Any idea what could cause this?

If it's just the mouse it's driver-related I assume. You may have to go into Device Manager and uninstall the mouse then have Windows reinstall drivers.

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
Not sure where to ask this, but hopefully someone here can help me. I have a Intel Skull Canyon workstation I used for adobe suite at work - for some reason the person who set it up used 1x16gb stick of Crucial Ram. I'm noticing that the machine is getting a little slow and laggy when editing 4k footage - should I get an identical 16gb matched stick for dual channel (£80ish), or use an 8GB stick that we have lying around (free)?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Hey folks so I have run into a sort of Cooling issue. I am rebuilding my PC with new parts for the most part and using the Carbide AIR 540 as my case(Was my previous case).

So I currently have 3 Corsair LL 120mm fans and the H115i cooler which comes with 2 140mm fans for the radiator.. I can get an additional 120mm LL fan today ..

So In that case I would have 3 120mm intake fans in the front, 1 120mm Outflow fan in the back and the 2 140mm fans on the radiator. My concern is positive pressure inside the case.

Would love some suggestions on the above, or if there is a different case config that could be helpful.

THanks

Should I make all 120mm(all 4) as intake and leave the two at the top as the outflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.