• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the criticism of the PS2 launch line up was for the Japanese launch. Somehow that got mixed in with the narrative surrounding the overall launch of the console.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Except that this is a list is of the Japanese PS2 Launch and the entire basis of the OP is to challenge the perception of the PS2's launch line up in the West or, more exactly, outside Japan as seen by the article by a Western outlet that was cited. Answering with this 'well actually, OP' is pedantic and to call it revisionist history is disingenuous and misses the point of the topic entirely.

The Japanese launch is the real launch of the PS2. It came out half a year earlier, with fewer games and even more crap than the western launch.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Anyone that tells me PS2 had a bad launch lineup is smoking some good green. IMO there only needs to be 1 amazing game and 3/4 good ones for a decent launch and to sustain for a month or two until games start rolling in.

PS2 could've had only Tekken Tag and SSX and it would've been a great launch lineup.

IDC about "opinions", you're a fool if you think the lineup in the eyes of millions of players was bad. It is a hard fact that a decent portion of the lineup has reached classic status.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. There were some solid titles but nothing that wowed anyone like Halo, BotW or SM64 for their respective launches. you bought the machine for the machine and picked up some launch titles to play on your new machine while you waited for the 'Wow!' games to be released. Which is basically every console launch with a few exeptions.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
It mostly was but to be fair didn't matter I think I only touched soul calibur, tekken tag, and counter strike during that time period for the most part.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. There were some solid titles but nothing that wowed anyone like Halo, BotW or SM64 for their respective launches. you bought the machine for the machine and picked up some launch titles to play on your new machine while you waited for the 'Wow!' games to be released. Which is basically every console launch with a few exeptions.

Yeah, I think comparing N64 to PS2 makes for an interesting case study.

Do you get one of the best games ever made + Pilot Wings (and live with only those for months) or do you get a plethora of options day one, which includes a few B+ tier titles.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
It mostly was but to be fair didn't matter I think I only touched soul calibur, tekken tag, and counter strike during that time period for the most part.

Anyone that tells me PS2 had a bad launch lineup is smoking some good green. IMO there only needs to be 1 amazing game and 3/4 good ones for a decent launch and to sustain for a month or two until games start rolling in.

PS2 could've had only Tekken Tag and SSX and it would've been a great launch lineup.

IDC about "opinions", you're a fool if you think the lineup in the eyes of millions of players was bad. It is a hard fact that a decent portion of the lineup has reached classic status.

it was bad or medicore even the public felt that.

There are still sites from those eras that have opinions out or just google archive. Compared to other systems of the gen both it and gc felt weak compared to xbox or dc.

And before you say opinions GTA3 shuts you up a billion times, the system was ass til it came period.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
We played a lot of Madden but to be frank it was inferior to NFL2K on the Dreamcast. TT was great.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
And before you say opinions GTA3 shuts you up a billion times, the system was ass til it came period.

I'm having trouble understanding this, but are you saying the PS2 was "ass" before October 2001?

A few PS2 games from after launch but before October 2001:

Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Twisted Metal Black
Devil May Cry
Ico
Red Faction
Onimusha: Warlords
Dark Cloud
NBA Street

Shortly after GTA3, we got a crazy Oct-Dec lineup, including Tony Hawk 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Max Payne, Ace Combat 4, SSX Tricky, FFX, Jak & Daxter... the list goes on.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
So I think there are a few factors that really add to the bad launch lineup discussion that aren't really considered out of context (and out of time).

Firstly, those of us who were buzzing for the PS2 at launch were reading all about it in magazines for a good while before it finally came to the West. The Japanese launch came about six months before the US/EU launch and so we had about six months of reading about it already being launched and those launch titles etc. The Japanese launch was really rough in terms of software.

A6 A Reisha de Ikou 6 Artdink CD-ROM
Sky Surfer
American Arcade
Kessen
Drummania
Street Mahjong Trance Mashin 2
Golf Paradise
Ridge Racer V
Tekken Tag Tournament
Eternal Ring
Jikkyou World Soccer 2000

We basically had six months (and however long before that when we knew what the launch lineup was going to be) of acknowledging that this was a god awful launch in terms of games anybody wanted to play. They did, of course, get some more titles together for the eventual Western release (Timesplitters and SSX being the notable titles) but by that point we'd all absolutely devoured reviews and import impressions for the console and it's games. Imagine how much news and opinion pieces gets shared here in six months. The console had launched and the launch lineup was awful. It was just the narrative by that point. There's a reason that it became a running joke that the most popular launch title for the Japanese PS2 launch was The Matrix DVD movie.

Secondly, the PS2 launch was coming off of a frankly disgustingly good final year for the PS1 (well, final year in terms of it being 'the only PlayStation'). Like, fine, Tekken Tag was an alright Tekken game and Timesplitters was the new game by some of the folk that made Goldeneye but 2000 for the PS1 saw us get games like Final Fantasy IX, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Vagrant Story, Dino Crisis 2, Colin McRae Rally 2, Breath of Fire IV etc. Huge, huge games. The PS1 was still absolutely smashing it at that point and there was definitely a general feeling of 'where are the big hitters'? There was no huge 'must get' launch title.

Tekken Tag Tournament was probably the front and centre game for the release in both Japan and the West. But it was both not a new 'mainline' Tekken game (it was the first non-numbered Tekken game and we really did all just want Tekken 4) and it was coming hot off the heels of Soul Calibur coming out for the Dreamcast. Those of us that had seen and played Soul Calibur found it increasingly difficult to get that excited about a side Tekken game as the big game for launch.

I personally think the PS2 launch was a year of two halves. It had a weak launch lineup of games. It just did. But that first year (including the famous Fall/Winter 2001) was so ridiculously strong that it just didn't matter in the end.

This is a good way of looking back at it: remember the context of gaming press circa 2000, but I maintain that the North American lineup of launch games was good. Not astounding, but certainly not bad.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having trouble understanding this, but are you saying the PS2 was "ass" before October 2001?

Considering other platforms and how the platform performed afterwards, yes.

You should realize I'm am being hyperbolic but be it in hype or nuance it was luke warm to describe it as good makes doubt your sanity.

Console was hot sales but software weren't till post GTA3. Lets put that in perspective both og counter strike and dota blew up as well as halo. Are you saying PS2 was as hot them cause that's not the case. However it ended up until 18 months in it was a good selling console with lukewarm sales. It wasn't GC either.

No to the suggestion the console was fine but the content wasn't. I was addicted to one title and that's all that is need to have my launch money.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think it was mostly bad in context. The last two big console launches prior to the PS2 were the DreamCast and the N64. The DreamCast launched with a slew of all-timers including Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur (this was big at the time because of how it exceeded the arcade version which was unheard of at the time iirc). The N64 revolutionized the industry with Super Mario 64. Then comes the PS2 with a bunch of b-tiers like SSX and TimeSplitters, and it still sells like gangbusters. Afterwards came the Xbox with Halo on day 1 and the Gamecube with Rogue Squadron/Luigi's Mansion/Super Monkey Ball/Wave Race day 1 and Melee/Pikmin just weeks later.

Compare that to the upcoming lineups of the PS5/XSX, which will probably be a good bit worse.....but console launches haven't really mattered much in like well over a decade, outside of Breath of the Wild which was cross-gen anyways.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 the goat console and generation. Launch was great too, SSX is amazing.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
I think it was mostly bad in context. The last two big console launches prior to the PS2 were the DreamCast and the N64. The DreamCast launched with a slew of all-timers including Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur (this was big at the time because of how it exceeded the arcade version which was unheard of at the time iirc). The N64 revolutionized the industry with Super Mario 64. Then comes the PS2 with a bunch of b-tiers like SSX and TimeSplitters, and it still sells like gangbusters. Afterwards came the Xbox with Halo on day 1 and the Gamecube with Rogue Squadron/Luigi's Mansion/Super Monkey Ball/Wave Race day 1 and Melee/Pikmin just weeks later.

Compare that to the upcoming lineups of the PS5/XSX, which will probably be a good bit worse.....but console launches haven't really mattered much in like well over a decade, outside of Breath of the Wild which was cross-gen anyways.

Hold on now, SSX was not B tier, it was an amazing game and it was clearly a next gen game, how the music was integrated with gameplay was pretty cool, the rest of the linepup i'd agree.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think it was mostly bad in context. The last two big console launches prior to the PS2 were the DreamCast and the N64. The DreamCast launched with a slew of all-timers including Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur (this was big at the time because of how it exceeded the arcade version which was unheard of at the time iirc). The N64 revolutionized the industry with Super Mario 64. Then comes the PS2 with a bunch of b-tiers like SSX and TimeSplitters, and it still sells like gangbusters.

I do think it's worth noting how much of a barren desert the N64's library was for a while. There was Mario 64 and... Pilot Wings. You had to wait almost two months for Wave Race 64 and Killer Instinct Gold, then another month for Cruis'n USA.

There's no denying how damn good Mario 64 is, but PS2 had a wide variety of ok-to-good games to play day one. I never felt hungry for new games with my PS2.

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
It wasn't just the launch lineup was bad, it was also that no other good games came out for almost a year after launch. The situation was so bad that I actually finished Summoner.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm still scratching my head at the word you used to describe it in the thread title, OP.

That said, I got a Japanese PS2 at launch with Ridge Racer V and Tekken Tag Tournament and I was happier than a pig in shit. I don't think I bought any other games for months.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It wasn't just the launch lineup was bad, it was also that no other good games came out for almost a year after launch. The situation was so bad that I actually finished Summoner.

Yeah, there were releases peppered here and there, but the second half of 2001 is an almost unfair metric to compare any console library to, haha. The months after PS2's launch:
  • The Bouncer (I have a soft spot for its mediocrity) was December 2000
  • ATV Offroad Fury, February 2001
  • Onimusha hits March 2001
  • Zone of the Enders, March 2001
  • Gauntlet, May 2001
  • Red Faction, May 2001
  • Dark Cloud, May 2001
  • NBA Street, June 2001
Once June/July kick in, the PS2 gains stupid software momentum.

I'm still scratching my head at the word you used to describe it in the thread title, OP.

That said, I got a Japanese PS2 at launch with Ridge Racer V and Tekken Tag Tournament and I was happier than a pig in shit. I don't think I bought any other games for months.

Hmm, maybe there's a better term. I basically think the widespread claim that the PS2's launch lineup is bad enough to be exemplary is bogus. I chose "apocryphal" because I see it cited and coined as Exhibit A of bad software lineups for a launch, but I disagree with it (and provide my receipts, heh).

Is there a better word for contesting a wide-spread claim you deem inaccurate?

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't manage to find a PS2 until almost a year after launch, but my friend had one and we eeked a ton of mileage out of Tekken Tag Tournament, SSX, and Armored Core 2 -- enough that we personally still to this day look back at that as a super great launch.

I definitely disagree when the notion that the PS2 had a weak launch comes up. I get that the games I've listed have relatively niche taste but my friend and I really played the hell out of those games and enjoyed doing so.

It's nothing compared to the games that would go on to drop in 2001 but still.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, there were releases peppered here and there, but the second half of 2001 is an almost unfair metric to compare any console library too, haha. The months after PS2's launch:
  • The Bouncer (I have a soft spot for its mediocrity) was December 2000
  • ATV Offroad Fury, February 2001
  • Onimusha hits March 2001
  • Zone of the Enders, March 2001
  • Gauntlet, May 2001
  • Red Faction, May 2001
  • Dark Cloud, May 2001
  • NBA Street, June 2001
Once June/July kick in, the PS2 gains stupid software momentum.

Hmm, maybe there's a better term. I basically think the widespread claim that the PS2's launch lineup is bad enough to be exemplary is bogus. I chose "apocryphal" because I see it cited and coined as Exhibit A of bad software lineups for a launch, but I disagree with it (and provide my receipts, heh).

Is there a better word for contesting a wide-spread claim you deem inaccurate?
It might be the perfect word, I've just never heard it before. You learn something new everyday! :)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I do think it's worth noting how much of a barren desert the N64's library was for a while. There was Mario 64 and... Pilot Wings. You had to wait almost two months for Wave Race 64 and Killer Instinct Gold, then another month for Cruis'n USA.

There's no denying how damn good Mario 64 is, but PS2 had a wide variety of ok-to-good games to play day one. I never felt hungry for new games with my PS2.
Wave Race 64 was around a month really (5 weeks) and Pilotwings 64 was pretty insane at the time tbh. I think the N64 droughts didn't really start hurting though until spring 1997, getting just one or two games every month stings less when they're basically best in class exclusives.

That said I think PS2 had a great launch lineup and in particular I'd put RRV up against any other launch racer. I sort of agree with the idea PS2 was more a "bad in context" versus everything else that gen (Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, even GBA) but I also feel the margin wasn't that wide either really. They were all pretty great.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Wave Race 64 was around a month really (5 weeks) and Pilotwings 64 was pretty insane at the time tbh. I think the N64 droughts didn't really start hurting though until spring 1997, getting just one or two games every month stings less when they're basically best in class exclusives.

That said I think PS2 had a great launch lineup and in particular I'd put RRV up against any other launch racer. I sort of agree with the idea PS2 was more a "bad in context" versus everything else that gen (Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, even GBA) but I also feel the margin wasn't that wide either really. They were all pretty great.

Yeah, games like Pilot Wings, Smugglers Run, and even Knack/Rise exist as those vertical slice titles to show off what your new box can do.

I think Smugglers Run, looking back, might have been the best rounded tech demo launch game I can think of. My brother and I loved split screen capture the flag and free roam.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nope. PS2 is my favourite console of all time, but that launch lineup was bad.

Only game worth playing is SSX.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there were releases peppered here and there, but the second half of 2001 is an almost unfair metric to compare any console library to, haha.

As a Dreamcast and Sega fan it was really easy to argue the merits of the Dreamcast's 2000 line up and early 2001 games against what the PS2 was offering. Especially helpful were some terrible ports of Dreamcast games to PS2. But in early 2001 Sega said they were discontinuing production of the machine and then the PS2 hits started rolling in.

It was tough to argue with Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2. Never mind the rest of those 2001 games.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It was a pretty solid launch with some good new IPs (Red Faction, SSX, Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, TimeSplitters) and some solid known franchises (Madden, NHL, Tekken Tag Tournament, Ridge Racer 5).

The entire first year of the PS2 is easily the best ever and is pretty evenly split between western and Japanese games.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok but the 2001 line up a year later had like half a dozen all timers/highly influential titles so it kinda made up for that

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
SSX, timesplitters and Tekken Tag are all games I'd enjoy even today and those gave me many many hours of fun back in the day. Great games.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
SSX, timesplitters and Telenor Tag are all games I'd enjoy playing today and those have me many many hours of fun back in the day. Great games.

I have so many good memories of huddling around a CRT to play 4-8 player NHL 2001, or some 2v2 Tekken Tag.

Once we got into LAN gaming in my childhood neighborhood, we even got into TimeSplitters 2 LAN play and Gran Turismo 3's firewire support.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The NA Dreamcast launch was better insofar as the wealth of available software but... its Japanese launch was even worse than the PS2's and it had a much bigger gap of time between launches than thevPS2's Japanese and NA launch.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the PS2 launch was average honestly.

Games that were 9/10 tier for me.
SSX
DOA2

8/10
Tekken Tag
Timesplitters

Didn't play a lot of the others but I don't there would have been many 9 or 10s there.

I thought the 360 launch was better. I picked up Oblivion, PGR3, Fight Night Round 3 (how next gen was that!) and I think I picked up Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter a few weeks later which was pretty good too.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sure it can, I was 7 when the ps2 came out and didn't buy a current gen console until the xbox came out a year later

Ahh, well OK as a personal story sure. I assumed we're all here talking about the PlayStation 2's launch as that's what the thread is about. If you made a decision a year after the PS2 came out then yeah, but that's different than making a launch decision.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, well OK as a personal story sure. I assumed we're all here talking about the PlayStation 2's launch as that's what the thread is about. If you made a decision a year after the PS2 came out then yeah, but that's different than making a launch decision.
Not sure why this bothers you but ok.
SSX ended up being one of my favorite games so that's where it's coming from.
Would have easily bought the game at launch.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess people focus on Fantavision being the only first party game but overall the launch lineup looks pretty good from the list.

Honestly though, I can only remember buying TTT and some other game (Fifa?) but TTT was great so I enjoyed the launch.