• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Softly introducing the purge?

Seriously, anyone can state hundreds of reasons as to why this would be a terrible, nay, idioticly moronic idea.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I don't get why people even propagate this.

Because it "sounds" nice if you don't think too hard about it. This is just another play on the "good guy with a gun" rhetoric that Trump and the NRA right have been pushing for years. If only there had been a Good Samaritan with a gun then they could have stopped the killing, or if more people were armed then less people would commit crimes/go on killing sprees because bullets will be flying back in their direction, never mind that in a lot of these cases the shooter tends to take their own lives, or is planning on being killed anyway. And they point to a situation like Sutherland Spring, Texas where a guy with a rifle helped stop a mass-shooting, of course after 26 were already murdered.

But as was mentioned by the county sheriff where Parkland is, nobody seems to be asking the teachers what they want to do. And it doesn't sound like any of them want the responsibility of not only teaching our kids but also, should the need arise, killing one or more of them to protect the rest. That's completely unreasonable and certainly doesn't jive with what a school is supposed to be and puts a lot of unneeded pressure on the school for the potential of legal issues if a weapon is accidentally discharged, let alone injures a student or is simply removed from a holster in a non-life threatening scenario.

It's a short-sighted fix and while I can understand wanting a current or former cop/deputy/whathaveyou be a fixture at a school either as part of their patrol or stationed there, the suggestion of teachers having guns on them is simply the suggestion of desperation or ignorance.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the dumbest idea ever, and not just because of the politics.

Most teachers couldn't use a weapon properly, and have no desire to do it. Also it would increase shooting as teachers would go postal.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
What does Hickok45 have to say about this I wonder? This Youtuber is an NRA member, fervent gun enthusiast and is/was a teacher.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that he wasn't booed out of the building by the survivors and their families for even attempting to suggest the idea shows me we still have a long way to go.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine everyone who proposes an idea like this pictures the teacher quickdrawing, shooting the gun out of the kid's hand, then blowing on the gun's barrel and twirling it back into their holster as all the students cheer. You know, the way guns work in real life.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so what may happen next is that a teacher goes wacko and kills kids or a kid starts shooting and the teacher tries to kill him and kills others in the process. great idea trump. why not arm the kids instead.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
gun-concealment-furniture-9265.gif

They get new desks too.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Another day, another notch in the 'America is on the verge of societal collapse' belt.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just that it's a bad idea to put guns into the hands of teachers. It's not that the cost of training and supply would likely be very high. It's not the question of if teachers could be trusted with such a responsibility. It's that the idea is bat-shit insane. It's Duterte-quality insanity. It's like a root canal with a jackhammer.

Oct 26, 2017
Can't rely on humans. Install autonomous drones in schools that shoot and kill anyone with a gun. I bet even with some false positives, there would be less fatalities than before.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, sure. You surely can trust the teachers, right?

It'll also make the kids feel terrified all the time knowing that something may happen in their school.

This is an absolute terrorism from the inside.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
my main concern would be a rise of gun incidents unrelated to school shootings. Teachers losing their nerves and misinterpreting a situation, or guns falling into the hands of students when the teachers aren't paying attention

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a world where a kid runs into a school, kills some kids with ninja throwing stars and the best response is that the teachers should be trained to throw things back faster.

Fuck me America. When does this madness stop? You realise it flows through to conservatives in other countries who try to match the crazy right?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well make schools military bases and make teachers go through basic training.
God damn this is an absolutely ridiculous and stupid idea, completely missing the point and the ACTUAL problem.
Nope, getting an assault rifle as easily as a chewing gum is not the problem - having the teachers unarmed and not ready to defend themselves and their students against other fellow students, that's the problem!

I'm astonished that so many people are completely oblivious to reality for the sake of defending ancient rules irrelevant to our modern times. Sigh

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If something like this goes through by the time I have kids... home schooling it will be!

I'm sure California would have something to say about it though.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something like this isn't even satire anymore. The rest of the world is watching the US is astonished horror; it's difficult for me to believe your President is strongly pushing this idea but there he is.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when a racist with dementia gets elected president by his support base of equally mentally handicapped inbreds.

We are living in an Idiocracy / Black Mirror crossover episode

OutOfcontrol

Oct 29, 2017
Just 3% of Americans own more than half the country's guns

Americans are not as gun-obsessed as some would like their countrymen to believe. Linking gun ownership to the identity of being an American has been a successful sales tactic that is more myth than reality. The numbers show that a small, unrepresentative, but disproportionately vocal portion of the American population, aided by self-serving politicians and a powerful lobby organization, has enacted its agenda over the majority of Americans, who do not own guns and would rather see much stronger gun safety regulations.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Old and busted: stealing a gun from your parents, or waiting 'til you're 18 to legally buy a gun.
New hotness: picking up a chair, textbook, or any heavy object in your school and smashing it over the head of any adult who is not looking at you, and being rewarded with a gun.

This idea turns any violent situation in the school into a life-or-death scenario for everyone.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
gun-concealment-furniture-9265.gif

They get new desks too.

The money men at the gun factory want this so they can have more personally wealth. So the second amendment is used as a shield of liberty to poison the population. Your president now sounds like he wants to introduce the poison into schools where your children grow up. Sorry America. If I win the lottery and got to choose where to live. The states would be way way down on my list. It's a polarised, dangerous, corporate greedy country. You don't look after our care about your citizens. You use the people for profit over everything. No thought for social care and justice at all. It's a mess

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I expect a massive teacher strike at some point to try and stop the school shootings, and I feel like forcing teachers to be armed might be the shit to cause just that.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the dumbest fucking thing ever.

There are anywhere from hundreds to thousands of kids in schools.

All the shooter needs to do is walk around behind a hostage and any teacher who cares about their student is:

1. at best immediately pacified.
  2. at worst dead because they've turned themselves into a threat that must be eliminated.
  3. at worse still, providing extra guns for the attacker to continue their rampage with.
We are supposed to be aiming for ZERO mass shooting deaths in school.

This is a dumbass half measure to MAYBE cause LESS deaths.

We don't want LESS dead children, we want ZERO.

Aim for ZERO.

Also, I wonder how teachers now feel about the fact that they will likely just be getting gunned down by attackers indiscriminately, "Just incase" they're carrying? Even if an attack was never meant for them or an attacker only had a single target, they're now likely to be shot on sight "just incase".

Last edited:

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
"If you had a teacher with, who was adept at firearms, they could very well end the attack very quickly," the president said. "And the good thing about a suggestion like that, and we're going to be looking at it very strongly, I think a lot of people are going to be opposed to it, I think a lot of people are going to like it. But the good thing is you'll have a lot of people with that."

Wot.

The president, appearing to reference how football coach Aaron Feis died shielding students, suggested: "If the coach had a firearm in his locker… he wouldn't have had to run, he would have shot [Cruz], and that would have been the end of it."

He continued: "This would only obviously be for people who are very adept at handling a gun. It's called concealed carry, where a teacher would have a concealed gun on them. They'd go for special training and they would be there and you would no longer have a gun-free zone."

Jesus...

The president also mentioned a hypothetical scenario in which there would be armed military veterans in every school protecting students.

"You'd have a lot of people that would be armed, that would be ready," Trump said. "They're professionals, they may be Marines that left the Marines, that left the Army, left the Air Force... They'd be spread evenly throughout the school."

If would-be school shooters knew that trained vets and armed teachers populated campuses, "they wouldn't go into the school to start off with," the president said.

"I think it could very well solve your problem."

YOUR problem.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump...lution-to-your-problem-is-more-guns-in-school

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You remember how in the 80s and 90s crime was a big deal and to reflect that, movies featuring lone cops who go renegade to clean up the streets to get around the red tape, you know like Dirty Harry? This is the president literally trying to make that a reality, literally trying to get teachers to be some kind of badass John McClain motherfucker and stop school shooters

Edit: posted before I was done

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Your country is a slave to the NRA. Corporations over people. Perhaps one day the states will have its own revolution. Good lord it needs it, money over everything needs to change.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we put a pack of C4 on everybodies neck that would be a really good way to stop people that are shooting others. Just saying.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a teacher, in a country that has banned guns, thank goodness, and if I had to work in a school with guns "evenly spread" throughout the campus, my first question would be "Where's my hazard pay?" Maybe that would be the second question after "What the fuck?" now that I think about it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly expect anything from Trump but its sadder to see some people there actually agreed.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly can you imagine the kind of fucked up teacher who would go along with this and bring a gun to a fucking school on the basis that they might shoot some kid who is going on a shooting spree.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this rate, Trump won't even have to build the wall.

Who the fuck would want to leave their country and put their children in the United States education system?

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It gets crazier and crazier.

I have a solution. If you are not gonna ban guns then every child in America has to wear all over body armour. Funded by the NRA.

Anyone remember the movie Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man? Well the henchmen wore shit that stopped bullets.

There ya go. Problem solved. Keep your guns and go crazy.

(This is a joke)

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And how exactly do they intend for the teachers to have access to these weapons? Surely not with it holstered on their person, as I guarantee that will cause more deaths then there are right now. So what they're, stored in a safe in the back room? And honestly when is the teacher going to have an opening to shoot the student? While all the students are in a mass panic running around, while the gunmen is firing indiscriminately. Such a mindbogglingly dumb idea.

Also it would be pretty easy to see it happening that a teacher is grabbed, threatened to open the safe, and the student is able to access a fire-arm (If maybe they only had a knife) or simply more weapons/ammmo.

There's so many way this could go wrong.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I love how he kept saying what concealed carry was as if he just fucking invented the term as he sat there.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As a German, who has never seen a gun anywhere beside on a cop or soldier, I can't understand at all whats up with guns in this country. I'm lost, really, and sorry for everyone living there, having kids in school, dealing with this.