• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda writing this off the cuff and wondering if it's purely drawn from anecdotal evidence, here goes nothing.

Basically, I'm just wondering when this kind of audience reaction came from. Discussing the existence of writing tropes as an indicator of quality and asserting a subjective interpretation onto the text regardless of the story's themes or the context in which actions are expressed, particularly in cases of applying real life morality and sensibilities to fantasy scenarios.

Like you watch something where a villainous character gets to redeem themselves and it's not about their character development or the quality of the story and if the redemption feels like a coherent and natural part of the story and its universe. They're a Karma Houdini and that's a trope and that's bad, and it's super problematic and wrong that they get redeemed because it's like saying actual abusive people need to be forgiven by their victims. That sort of thing, I guess? It's an attitude and approach to experiencing a story I don't understand, where when drama happens in stories driven by character drama, you get bitching and moaning that the characters are being stupid and they should do the right and smart thing, which, yeah, that's why it's a story about people doing things; so drama happens. You're reading for drama, not to see the ending happen sooner thanks to the protagonists doing everything correctly.

It feels like trying to get one over the story itself, where you're not engaging with the universe, characters, writing, and themes anymore and coming to interpretations about what it means to you, it's about finding a hard, objective read based on what's supposed to happen and what it all means even when that hard, objective read is drawn entirely from individual subjective interpretation to begin with, and then eventually those reads become loud enough that they start having to be justified in the actual, official works themselves, that you can tell the story you want as long as you apologize for it first. The hero should kill the villain or else the villain will keep doing it and it's the hero's fault. The character with magic powers or a big science brain should use it for the benefit of society and not to go on a fun adventure. A character lashing out due to some form of trauma or even just being in a bad mood makes them an asshole because "just because you can explain it doesn't mean you can excuse it" so whatever's going on in their heads doesn't matter and the resolution is apologizing for being a bad friend.

And these are all good concepts for stories, actually! But the existence of stories ripping on genre cliches doesn't necessarily mean that genre has to start following that self-awareness, 'cause now we got superhero movies where superhero characters go into big exciting fights and go "wow, this is crazy, it's unrealistic, it makes no sense. Awkwaaaard."

In closing, writing this has been kind of difficult because I don't know if I'm vocalizing something tangible or if this is all anecdotal and I should go touch grass. Thanks for reading.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CinemaSins probably has a lot to do with that.

It can get annoying.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, yeah. The way we talk about stories has gone downhill.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
CinemaSins and Doug Walker ruined a lot of media analysis for a lot of young people.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I feel like you're conflating two different things. The type of criticism you describe is something more attributed to youtube channels like CinemaSins, but it is definitely a thing. TVTropes did influence the way some people approach media but it wasn't inherently negative. Most people I know who got super into TVTropes (mostly in the late 2000s and early 2010s), enjoyed identifying tropes in things they liked. It did have problems but slightly different ones.

Tropes on their own are not bad, that includes both the use of tropes and the fun people have in identifying and categorizing them. Somewhere along the way it became popular to smugly dismiss things by screaming about plot holes though.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Tropes aren't supposed to be bad, they are just a silly way of identifying common elements across multiple works.

People might make them out to be bad, which is a problem, but it wasn't the original intent.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I have a friend who will immediately turn against a movie or show that displays any sign of having tropes. He told me he skips pilot episodes because the set up and exposition is useless. And when he was in a band and wrote lyrics he refused to write anything that followed a verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. It's pretty exhausting talking to him about anything that's not video games although he has mellowed out some over the years.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
These people also tend to champion "Fuck the critics! They don't know anything!" sentiment.

Criticism is an artform in itself. It can be fun to write and to read, even if you don't agree with that critic's take.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this motherfucker do a review of Last Action Hero where he thought it was just a normal-ass action movie

That sounds like something Doug would've done, yes. The most infantile, surface-level reading of a film you can possibly make, while calling out everything that "doesn't make sense" as a "plot hole" is Doug Walker Film Criticism 101.

Thank the gods for folks like Lindsay and Dan Olson.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people also tend to champion "Fuck the critics! They don't know anything!" sentiment.

Criticism is an artform in itself. It can be fun to write and to read, even if you don't agree with that critic's take.
I actually agree with this, I just don't know how to say it without sounding self-aggrandizing.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I feel like you're conflating two different things. The type of criticism you describe is something more attributed to youtube channels like CinemaSins, but it is definitely a thing. TVTropes did influence the way some people approach media but it wasn't inherently negative. Most people I know who got super into TVTropes (mostly in the late 2000s and early 2010s), enjoyed identifying tropes in things they liked. It did have problems but slightly different ones.

Tropes on their own are not bad, that includes both the use of tropes and the fun people have in identifying and categorizing them. Somewhere along the way it became popular to smugly dismiss things by screaming about plot holes though.
Yeah this. Even TVTropes makes it clear that tropes are not bad. Heck, I used to use TV Tropes to find shows that were similar to ones I liked via tropes.

TV Tropes is basically just pure netural, the problem is people acting like pointing out tropes constitutes media criticism.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
"Every story you've ever thought about writing has already been told." - Some Git

It's true, while you can put an original spin on a concept, the fact that the concept exists in and of itself suggests that your concept is not of original design. It's standing atop that which came before it.

The sooner consumers of media accept this premise, the better.

Tropes are just giving names to the pieces of storytelling that have existed since forever. There's nothing wrong with it. The best works can be full of tropes.

I love tropes because they're shorthand for readers to expect one thing in a story and then you just kind of pull the rug out from under them by subverting the trope.

Is this lazy writing? I'm not sure, but I just finished writing my first novel and it's hilarious in retrospect reading it to see all the unintentional things I paid homage to/cribbed from.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tvtropes.org

Tropes Are Tools / Administrivia - TV Tropes

Tropes are just tools. Writers understand tropes and use them to control audience expectations either by using them straight or by subverting them, to convey things to the audience quickly without saying them. Human beings are natural pattern- …

Tropes are just fun ways to show narrative devices. Anyone who thinks a trope makes something 'cliche' is vastly missing the point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Plot holes" when motherfuckers just haven't been paying attention always gets me

Yup. Like I said, the Nostalgia Critic-style "do the shallowest reading of a work possible, miss all important subtext, and then whine about plot holes" school of Youtube film criticism has effectively broken the way people talk about storytelling.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I would also attribute this to another thing that i think has been happening a lot and iirc it was Austin Walker that i first heard talking about this, which is the "wikification" of things, or a kind of analysis that is excessively focused on primarily descriptive categorization of anything you can "componentize" in a work. This kind of analysis does not support more complex or nuanced interpretations.

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
TV Tropes is basically just pure netural, the problem is people acting like pointing out tropes constitutes media criticism.
Yeah, that's one of the biggest issues for sure. People often think that merely having the ability to point out a trope means that they've attained expert knowledge on these type of matters.

It's also an issue with Wikis and the internet in general. Having instant access to information and even remembering that information isn't that impressive, but people still have an urge to dump in a hotlink or a YouTube video as if they're making their own argument on something.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tvtropes.org

Tropes are just tools. Writers understand tropes and use them to control audience expectations either by using them straight or by subverting them, to convey things to the audience quickly without saying them. Human beings are natural pattern- …

Tropes are just fun ways to show narrative devices. Anyone who thinks a trope makes something 'cliche' is vastly missing the point.
Okay but then they're doing it anyway and then enough of them kept doing it.

Like even that site itself allows subjective audience reaction to go on dedicated pages for every single piece of media. That's not "tropes" that's some singular nerd saying a character isn't likable enough and posting it somewhere popular enough that nerds treat it with an air of authority.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Plot holes" when motherfuckers just haven't been paying attention always gets me
Before Era and the old board I had no idea so many people sleep through movies.
Okay but then they're doing it anyway and then enough of them kept doing it.

Like even that site itself allows subjective audience reaction to go on dedicated pages for every single piece of media. That's not "tropes" that's some singular nerd saying a character isn't likable enough and posting it somewhere popular enough that nerds treat it with an air of authority.

What authority? YMMV tropes are literally "this is how some people feel this way about something."

It's a completely separate page too.

No where does tv tropes ever call itself an authority on something.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
An entire generation of Internet movie people have been conditioned to believe that the most important aspect of a story to evaluate is plot. Theme, subtext, characterization (as in what internally motivates a character, not simply how a character outwardly acts), and metaphor go out the window, the only thing that matters is whether the plot does what I think the plot should do and it provides the story beats I expect to see.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like TV tropes, it's fun to read all the micro comparisons and the disputable tropes are categorised as YMMV, your mileage may vary.

Youtube recommendations, where people just copy what a youtuber said, is more annoying. I've seen people on here just post a video as a response, from a you tube celebrity, like they're the final say of a subjective piece of entertainment. Fuck off with that please.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, TV Tropes goes out of its way to stress that the existence of the "tropes" it identifies aren't necessarily meant to be criticism or any indicator of quality. And it often acknowledges the subjective nature of the site's subject matter. But I think people don't accept that or keep it in mind as much as they should.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
What I hate about lot of internet criticism is how plot focused it is. Film is a visual medium and it should be treated as such.

I would also attribute this to another thing that i think has been happening a lt and iirc it was Austin Walker that i first heard talking about this, which is the "wikification" of things, or a kind of analysis that is excessively focused on primarily descriptive categorization of anything you can "componentize" in a work. This kind of analysis does not support more complex or nuanced interpretations.
Yeah, I have noticed this too. Film is analyzed as if it was a vacuum cleaner and the objective measure of its greatness is the number of faults it has.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people treat stories as something to beat, which you were getting at. Something like, "The Godfather can't be good. I beat it when I figured out it was using the fall from grace trope." Or "LOL, Terminator is lame because it uses the identical name trope to mislead me." Nevermind how anything else happens be it visuals, acting, dialog, etc. If I can beat the story then it must not be good.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
We are creatures of habits, we look for patterns in everything. The internet made this 10000x easier than before though.

Tropes are not bad by themselves but there is a prevalence of people that take them as Divine Gospel (and less as a ''phonebook of all the different stuff in media'').

But at the same time we should not excuse the bad use of Tropes as we should encourage the creative uses of tropes.

A lot of people treat stories as something to beat, which you were getting at. Something like, "The Godfather can't be good. I beat it when I figured out it was using the fall from grace trope." Or "LOL, Terminator is lame because it uses the identical name trope to mislead me." Nevermind how anything else happens be it visuals, acting, dialog, etc. If I can beat the story then it must not be good.

I agree, knowing how a story will ''go'' in advance is not a bad thing. It's a good thing even, it means you understand basic story causality and why it's made like this but I feel the whole ''subvert expectation'' has been taken to a too high degree.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before Era and the old board I had no idea so many people sleep through movies.

What authority? YMMV tropes are literally "this is how some people feel this way about something."

It's a completely separate page too.

No where does tv tropes ever call itself an authority on something.
Is an audience reaction a trope? What metrics are being used to decide what is or isn't a suffiicient amount of the audience feeling something that then gets personified through a trope? When is this not just the work of a single person with a specific read of a story throwing it into a place where it sticks forever, and when it is just that one person, why does it get to exist when presented as an analysis of its audience?

It's the wiki equivalent of "many people are saying."

Aight you know what, this is it, this is my own thoughts crystalized and concise.

Treating stories as something to beat is exactly what I've been thinking when writing the OP.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tropes aren't supposed to be bad, they are just a silly way of identifying common elements across multiple works.

People might make them out to be bad, which is a problem, but it wasn't the original intent.
Tropes become bad when the creator leans too heavily into them without adding anything original or of value on top. Isekai anime immediately comes to mind.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tropes become bad when the creator leans too heavily into them without adding anything original or of value on top. Isekai anime immediately comes to mind.
Yeah that too.

It's not just bitchy nitpicking when it starts to affect how stories are written, and I don't think it solely affects bottom of the barrel trash like isekai anime.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Youtube movie channels are mostly to blame. Not because critiquing movies should be limited to 'true critics' or whatever, that's just idiotic gatekeeping. The problem with Youtube movie critics is that many of them do not critique movies as simple movie fans but they actually attempt to go in depth without an adequate understanding of what they are talking about. There's a saying in my country, "half-understanding something is worse than not understanding it at all" and I think that's what is happening here. People think they know more about movies than they actually do.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
This is especially infuriating when talking about subtitles in movies.

Some people's argument as to why they don't use subtitles is very much reduced to "how am i going to look at my phone while reading?" lol.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is an audience reaction a trope? What metrics are being used to decide what is or isn't a suffiicient amount of the audience feeling something that then gets personified through a trope? When is this not just the work of a single person with a specific read of a story throwing it into a place where it sticks forever, and when it is just that one person, why does it get to exist when presented as an analysis of its audience?

I believe you may be placing too much importance of what a trope is.

Because it's just a free to add and edit collection of narrative devices that exist before. And EVERYTHING has existed before.

I don't get a smug satisfaction out of recognizing a trope. To me it's fun to see what I can notice and what has that narrative device also.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
It's funny, I never really give a shit about the 'tropes' on TVTropes, I'm just addicted to reading trivia.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree and I'm glad this thread now exists.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
"Pacing issues" is my current pet peeve. You can't just say "pacing issues" and leave it at that. Pacing is super subjective. Elaborate, because there is no way I am going to just accept "pacing issues" at face value in this day and age of people with zero attention spans.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017

Also, at least for a while, "plot holes" became a catch all for any flaw or mystery. Like, continuity errors in-between cuts would be called plot holes. Or "How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham when it's heavily guarded? Plot hole!" That's not a fucking plot hole, it's just not elaborated on. You can find it to be a detriment, but in no way does it contradict the plot.

Oct 29, 2017
CinemaSins probably has a lot to do with that.

It can get annoying.

Yep, CinemaSins is awful and ruined a lot of folks' ability to enjoy and critique media legitimately.

Tropes aren't inherently bad, they're tools in the toolbox of writing. If a writer relies on too many tired tropes then it can defintiely pull you out of the immersion of the story, but they're tropes for a reason.

There is also something to be said for taking existing tropes and turning them on their heads, which plays on the expectations of the audience, but if that is done too often, or too poorly, then the audience can feel cheated of a payoff they might have been expecting. For a great example of doing this poorly see the way the characters were handled at the end of Game of Thrones.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
Tropes kind of remind me of Archetypes. Once you learn about them, they're hard not to spot. That said, neither are really a problem. But I could see how having an understanding of tropes/archetypes might make it hard to stay engaged in a movie if your critical brain won't stop recognizing the patterns. I think it also makes people feel smart, because they noticed it and want to point it out. I remember when I was 8, and I started to notice most movies had a similar structure, which I didn't realize at the time was the 3-acts, lol. But I remember trying to tell everyone like I was a genius.

In regards to CinemaSins, human beings have a negativity bias, but a lot of film criticism on YouTube is all about finding what's wrong with a movie as opposed to what it does well. But that's also a problem with YouTube in general, where creators use sensationalism to get attention.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe you may be placing too much importance of what a trope is.

Because it's just a free to add and edit collection of narrative devices that exist before. And EVERYTHING has existed before.

I don't get a smug satisfaction out of recognizing a trope. To me it's fun to see what I can notice and what has that narrative device also.
Okay but there's a difference between "here's a page about how stories have big scary dudes who are revealed to be kindhearted" and complaining about plot developments and character writing by using articles that are supposed to exist as factual "this is a thing that exists" information or the existence of a common audience reaction, and then using that article to legitimize your own subjective reaction to a story. A single person cannot adequately grasp the reaction of an audience that ranges from hundreds to millions, let alone some berk on a wiki.

Like I'm not talking about shit like "oh the red guy is the leader! how cliche!" I'm talking about this phenomenon where nerds can't just say they hate something, they have to approach hating something where they are smart and morally correct in doing so.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that a lot of people have started to take all stories as a series of events that characters go through, being told to you, rather than as a symbolic way to communicate a theme, moral, or feeling.

SOME stories are largely mechanical and exist to be solved, or to take you for a ride, or so on. Like a whodunit, a police procedural, a "race against time" thriller. But the tools you use to engage with those stories are useless on more abstract works where creatives can, and will, fudge the details and leave things unexplained.

A lot of problems with modern media consumption hinge on that.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

I mean, it's not math. The elements of what makes something a trope are subjective because it is always filtered through how someone views an narrative. Some may be pretty clear but the qualifying elements of others can be somewhat vague. So it sort of depends upon most of the audience agreeing that elements of the story match the trope.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
"Pacing issues" is my current pet peeve. You can't just say "pacing issues" and leave it at that. Pacing is super subjective. Elaborate, because there is no way I am going to just accept "pacing issues" at face value in this day and age of people with zero attention spans.

Yo! This!

Pacing is SO subjective.

What I think is slow others might believe is too fast.

Take Fellowship of the Ring. It's a story beloved by nearly all of society, but I personally can never make it out of the Shire without being bored to tears and quitting the book.

I've been passing my novel around to beta readers trying to fine tune it and it's maddeningly difficult because half my audience thinks the book starts off at a breakneck speed and they want it to slow down and seethe in the dark mood I've set up, and the other half my audience wants me to axe the entirety of Act 1 because it's too slow for them.

What to do?
You can't please everyone.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
TV Tropes was always awful. I found it just after finishing my English degree, and it was the most bizarre experience. Always struck me as a bunch of STEM nerds trying to decipher the Algorithms of Storytelling, convinced that there's a single, perfect interpretation of a work - because nuance is ambiguous and chaotic.

It got especially annoying when looking for online writing groups (being a rural person, I don't have access to anything like that IRL). The amount of aspiring fiction writers who boil their stories down to an ingredient list of tropes - and think they're being clever (sorry, "subversive") when they try to contradict them...

Thankfully, like with many things on the Internet, it's a vocal minority, and there are still plenty of people out there who aren't Extremely Online and don't loudly gob off about how this children's cartoon they're watching Deconstructs the Xanatos Scrappy archetype in a strange bid to assert their intelligence.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
tv tropes and cinemasins' influence have been a disaster for the human race.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
tvtropes.org

That page has so many good quotes.

"The important thing when writing a story is that it's believable, not that it's real. The power of a story often comes from recognizing emotions more than the specific presentation of events."