• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
By the way it's cheaper to buy the PS4/XB1 versions of games here that are getting free upgrades like Valhalla for example.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't believe they're charging £70 for games.

70 fucking pounds.

As far as I'm concerned, games should be capped at 50 GBP and not a penny more.
Vote with your wallet. Hold out until the inevitable price cuts and sale prices. Unless you have severe FOMO, that is, and couldn't possibly cope. We know these games will go on sale.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eurodude here and I'm not jumping on to the next gen until I see sales and discounts. This was the last gen I bought games at release for sure

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
As an Aussie, I disagree that our prices are bad.

We can buy Watch Dogs Legion for $69 on launch day inclusive of tax.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Those prices are not staying at $129. They're hoping it will, but it will lower and stabilize over time.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
This is also one of the reason specifically I wasn't touching the DE console in Aus, I like options/uhd blu ray etc you need to show them what our psn prices are at launch not deep discounts months down the line hahaha.

I do feel it's a early adopter tax post launch I still expect higher than the $69/79 rrp. Much closer to the current gen rate.

although on pc I'm all digital/insert pass here steam etc + Nintendo all day let's go xD

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Every new console release has had games at 120$ RRP this is a 9$ price hike for launch.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah those prices won't stick. These are RRP prices for PS5 games, unlike the PS4 games.

For example Cyberpunk is listed as $79 there, but the RRP is actually $110.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
JB is normally the cheaper of the retail stores...

Ah that's a shame, was hoping it was an expensive misprice or holding price or something.
the miles morales version in the OP is the one that comes with the first Spiderman. it's full price whatever that means in your country ($70 in the US).
Ah OK cool. Sorry, I didn't keep track of the different versions so hadn't realised that.

As all 3 were the same price I was wondering if it was a holding price on one stores systems.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
$79 is not the real MSRP baseline for AAA titles for current gen, it's just so many stores undercut
it's $99 like EB games usually does

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Vote with your wallet. Hold out until the inevitable price cuts and sale prices. Unless you have severe FOMO, that is, and couldn't possibly cope. We know these games will go on sale.
This is precisely the strategy I am employing. I am in no rush to buy these games. I will likely look to eBay for purchasing games if I can get them at a cheaper price.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's a lot of dollarydoos. Can't see these prices holding for long, they're just ridiculous.

Also a lot harder to scam people who just want something new to play when you've got an entire back catalogue to compete with.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
And people will keep paying whatever they need to, the Australia Tax™ is entirely self-inflicted.

ItsJonesy777

Oct 25, 2017
As others have mentioned the RRP of most current gen games is AU$99 it's just that most retailers sell cheaper like your JB's and Big W's and it's also why EB price-match.

Given this is the start of a new gen I would expect prices to remain high for a while before dropping down to $80-$90 and becoming the new $60-$70 of current gen pricing. IIRC PS4 games at launch were quite expensive here in Aus too.

Jul 26, 2018
what's going on, that seems wild... in any case, I've decided a time ago that my next-gen plan is XSX + Game Pass only games, plus maybe some sporadic 10/15 buck old games that are not on Game Pass... Fuck valhalla, cyberpunk, and all those fancy new games that are more expensive than weekly groceries...

Dec 11, 2017
As an Aussie, this is part of the reason why it made the decision to go with a Series X so easy. I've got Game Pass for 3 years lined up so I'm good.

I'll probably get a PS5 a few years in and buy games when they're drastically reduced in price. Anything PS5 exclusive is bonkers in pricing and nowhere near worth it.

I didn't pay over $79 for a game this gen on launch day, so having games discounted to $109 is laughable.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
we all know that sony raised the price for its first party titles, are these prices the same for xbox one?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I feel like this happens every gen here, then post launch competition between stores lowers prices.
I feel like PS4 games were $99 or $109 originally(?).

I don't expect $124 games late in the gen.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I have Cyberpunk preordered for 64 AUD, Spider-Man Miles Morales $74, ultimate edition $109
We are talking about next gen only games. Demon souls is $124.
I feel like this happens every gen here, then post launch competition between stores lowers prices.

I've never seen physical games in Aus more than $80 unless it's a special edition.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One of the reasons i won't be buying either console. Though i do wonder how it'll effect things like gamepass, a lot of my friends are looking into that.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It never happened in the transition from PS3 to PS4 but I remember games where $120 at the start of PS3 and MGS 4

We are talking about next gen only games. Demon souls is $124.

I've never seen physical games in Aus more than $80 unless it's a special edition.
OP mentioned Cyber Punk and those were prices for PS5 versions. I also have a preorder of Demon's Souls for $109

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
new digital is 79,99€ in eu, that's 94.23 USD
so its only exclusives for ps5, 0 on digital and most likely 0 on day1

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
As others have mentioned the RRP of most current gen games is AU$99 it's just that most retailers sell cheaper like your JB's and Big W's and it's also why EB price-match.

Given this is the start of a new gen I would expect prices to remain high for a while before dropping down to $80-$90 and becoming the new $60-$70 of current gen pricing. IIRC PS4 games at launch were quite expensive here in Aus too.

You know, I really like this take. I can remember as a fourteen year old purchasing my PlayStation 3 on launch night - from memory, games were sold for $120aud and the following however long after.

I don't think it's necessarily the RRP change that is stinging here, it's retailers sticking to them. How sustainable is selling a title for $20, or more, under RRP? As many have said, it's the get you in the store approach, make it back elsewhere. EB have long been full RRP, for many documented reasons.

Video games have been a lifelong hobby for myself, a passion. Out of sheer convenience, I made the shift this gen from a "EB hire and return in 7 days" to entirely digital, but that's not the entire story either. For me, justifying $125aud on something I truly enjoy and will gain countless hours out of is an easy thought - zero regrets on my Digital Edition PS5 in a fortnight's time.

Will I be savvier with what I purchase? Sure! That's part and parcel of dropping any kind of money on any product. I think sometimes we can be so caught up in the dollars of something that we miss how much joy an experience can bring us.

PS - not an advocate at all for publishers taking purchasers for a ride (predatory MTX and design choices, whale tactics, etc). This to me is just a reset by brick and mortar to bring it all back in line.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Happy to pay 129 for Miles Morales Ultimate as it is basically one and a half games (and I haven't played the original), but yeah, that's rough on the rest.

All non-exclusive games will be played on my PC rather than my PS5.
You get it from big W or Amazon for $109 or price match at eb/JB

www.ozbargain.com.au

[PS5, Pre Order] Devil May Cry 5 $52.99, Mortal Kombat 11 $70.99 @ OzGameShop, Far Cry 6 Gold $129 @ Big W & More + Delivery

Deal: [PS5, Pre Order] Devil May Cry 5 $52.99, Mortal Kombat 11 $70.99 @ OzGameShop, Far Cry 6 Gold $129 @ Big W & More + Delivery, Store: OzGameShop, Category: Gaming

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
OP mentioned Cyber Punk and those were prices for PS5 versions. I also have a preorder of Demon's Souls for $109
OP mentioned cyberpunk as what we are paying currently.
If your happy paying at least $30 extra on games then that's cool.

but from what I'm reading in this thread, people obviously don't mind the price hike. And the only place that was selling games for the RRP is EB games which price match anyway so I don't know who was buying $100 physical this gen.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Games are €80 digital here, €75 physical in most stored. Reason why I'm happy O got my Series X first with Gamepass. I'm getting a PS5 eventually, but the price of games is a big barrier for me.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
While not the only reason I'm going XSX and gamepass next gen, I wonder if these prices will drive others to Xbox or PC for it.

My brother just yesterday was asking me about gamepass totally out of the blue and i think this is one of the reasons why. Generally speaking though i still think playstation will dominate the australian gaming landscape but i'm interested how things pan out long term. I feel it's a matter of time before Sony will have to start offering a more cost effective deal like gamepass or start to bleed some users. Or maybe they'll just keep owning face and do what they want lol.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I think I read that prices in Canada are also higher than they probably should be. Poor kids, it may get to a point where even a game at Christmas/Birthday is too much money.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, even if you exclusively looking at Digital RRPs, Sony's gone from selling The Last of Us 2 for $100 to trying to get $125 for the Demon's Souls remake. That's a 25% price hike because fuck you. Anyone who buys/pre-orders a Digital Edition is getting screwed.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP mentioned cyberpunk as what we are paying currently.
If your happy paying at least $30 extra on games then that's cool.

but from what I'm reading in this thread, people obviously don't mind the price hike. And the only place that was selling games for the RRP is EB games which price match anyway so I don't know who was buying $100 physical this gen.
I'm just saying this stuff happens at new gens, it should go down within 6-12 months.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I think I read that prices in Canada are also higher than they probably should be. Poor kids, it may get to a point where even a game at Christmas/Birthday is too much money.
Yeah, it's not as bad as Australia but after taxes it's $100 CAD or $80 USD a game roughly. Which is crazy considering at the start of the PS4 it was like maybe $75-80 CAD after taxes. AAA PS4 games are about $90 CAD now.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's as bad as how it's affecting Europe, next gen is going to be really costly and I hate it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Physical prices in Aus have been absurdly low for years. $69 for new releases is the equivalent of $49 US, and our price includes tax. There's no way it was going to stay like this forever, but the new $124.95 RRP here is definitely an overcorrection.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've been complaining in every relevant thread. We inexplicably got hit with the biggest increase despite already having some of the higher prices ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You know, I really like this take. I can remember as a fourteen year old purchasing my PlayStation 3 on launch night - from memory, games were sold for $120aud and the following however long after.

I don't think it's necessarily the RRP change that is stinging here, it's retailers sticking to them. How sustainable is selling a title for $20, or more, under RRP? As many have said, it's the get you in the store approach, make it back elsewhere. EB have long been full RRP, for many documented reasons.

Video games have been a lifelong hobby for myself, a passion. Out of sheer convenience, I made the shift this gen from a "EB hire and return in 7 days" to entirely digital, but that's not the entire story either. For me, justifying $125aud on something I truly enjoy and will gain countless hours out of is an easy thought - zero regrets on my Digital Edition PS5 in a fortnight's time.

Will I be savvier with what I purchase? Sure! That's part and parcel of dropping any kind of money on any product. I think sometimes we can be so caught up in the dollars of something that we miss how much joy an experience can bring us.

PS - not an advocate at all for publishers taking purchasers for a ride (predatory MTX and design choices, whale tactics, etc). This to me is just a reset by brick and mortar to bring it all back in line.
We really shouldn't be comparing anything to the PS3. AUD was US 0.85 in 2007 and we were paying $999.95 for the system...