• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The catch, you can predetermine the personalities of the cast beforehand. There's also variants of this mode where everyone lives or everyone dies. As such you can literally turn this game into a ten hour long movie with tons of permutations.

Source:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Really effective for people who just cannot hold a controller for these things.

Max out the clumsy stat, and watch these people trip and land on every knife in the game.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this will spark debates about what is or isnt a videogame lol. Seems like a really cool idea.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It makes sense for what these types of games are, but it'd be too weird for me to play honestly lol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know? That's actually a really cool option. I wonder is there a randomize option?

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

This is like a super extreme version of playing with horror tropes like the video above describes, since this game has a super large cast.

It makes sense for what these types of games are, but it'd be too weird for me to play honestly lol.
This mode straight up means you can put the controller down. Because you're actually watching not playing lol. You're essentially the director or "dungeon master."

Oct 28, 2017
I tried getting my sister who doesn't play video games to play Until Dawn but she only made it a quarter of the way through. She wasn't able to adjust to holding a controller despite Until Dawn not being a "traditional game".

This is actually kind of genius. I'll reserve full praise until I check it out myself but this will help a lot of people who could be interested in the concept and story to experience the game. Cut out having to go to YouTube for the various outcomes and just tailor it within the game yourself.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

This is like a super extreme version of playing with horror tropes like the video above describes, since this game has a super large cast.

This mode straight up means you can put the controller down. Because you're actually watching not playing lol. You're essentially the director or "dungeon master."

Yeah, I realize. I guess I shouldn't have said play, maybe it's better to say it'd feel like a weird thing for me to 'use' instead, I guess

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The "everybody dies" movie is my first playthrough because I suck at QTE games

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
That is really neat. I would like to do that for reruns. Add some options to skip repeated scenes, and we are done.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if you can unlock random trophies by watching the movie mode, because that would be funny.

HAL 01

Sep 17, 2021
t8gFcAI.jpg

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I can honestly imagine experiencing this with friends and taking bets on who lives or dies based on the character we specifically choose and determine the personality of. Like a more chill version of passing around the controller.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's pretty novel. I can't say I'd use it, but I always appreciate developers exploring outside-the-box feature inclusions like this.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly for their next project they should go even further and make a hybrid mode where one or more players can choose a character while other people, who may not be as experienced at video games or just don't feel like playing altogether, can have their chosen character set to movie mode.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Reminds me of the modes of Guitar Hero where the game plays itself and you can use it as essentially a music player.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'll be watching a Let's Play of this once it's out, so this mode really isn't all that different lol

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool feature, especially if you know a horror fan that doesn't play games

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
That's really neat! I know some people who like these games that don't really "get" controllers, so that's cool.

But, they also like to tell me the choices to make, so… lol.

The "set their personalities and watch them go" is really fun. Can see how that would make a fun drinking game lol.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Those youtubers who do unbroken silent playthroughs got it made.

But yeah, pretty cool idea.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think my ideal version of a game mode like this would be something that keeps the decision making and QTEs in tact, but doesn't have you play the parts where you're in direct control of the physical characters.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever use this but it sounds great

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Super cool... It's like the hands-off mode in those Football (Soccer) Manager games.

Though, doing this, there should be a 24fps playback toggle! Unironically!! ;)

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I think my ideal version of a game mode like this would be something that keeps the decision making and QTEs in tact, but doesn't have you play the parts where you're in direct control of the physical characters.
Yeah something like this would get me interested in more of these types of "cinematic" games. Give me a real interactive movie mode

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
You already know the "clumsy under pressure" character dies.
Cool idea, especially if you can change up the personalities.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Cool idea. I cannot wait to play this game and then maybe watch it with different outcomes with this mode lol

I enjoyed the Dark Pictures Anthology games but The Quarry looks a lot closer to capturing that Until Dawn magic again.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would be cooler if there was an option qhere it was just an interactive choose-your-own-adventure movie. Take out the parts where you control the characters and the QTEs but keep the decision making.