• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
You're moving through hallways or on campus, feeling like you just got back to school after some sort of break. Though you're the only one who took this break. Everyone else knows what they're doing.

Your mind is racing trying to remember where exactly your classes are and you find yourself in a classroom when it hits you that you haven't attended this class in months for whatever reason. Did you forget about it? You see the professor is handing out an exam….will you pass this semester or not?

There are other variations but does anyone else here get these dreams (nightmares) every once in a while? Lol I graduated from university about 6 years ago but from time to time I wake up extremely stressed from dreams like this. A couple of my friends told me they also experienced similar dreams.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Your mind is racing trying to remember where exactly your classes are and you find yourself in a classroom when it hits you that you haven't attended this class in months for whatever reason

This is the exact dream I sometimes get. Which is crazy because that is fairly specific compared to "I am failing my classes" or something. Why are we all experiencing this??

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Graduated 21 years ago and still have them. In reality I had taken an extended internship which pushed back my graduation by one semester, so I had spread out the courses over one more semester to graduate in may instead of december. In the nightmare I've failed midterms badly and the final is 2-3 days away and I don't see a way to possibly catch up, which means I will have to come back to university the year after, which for some reason is the end of the world.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yep ive had this where i suddenly get worried about the big test tomorrow or some shit. And i wasnt even someone who really sweat schoolwork or test or anything ever.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Think pretty much everyone has these dreams. They're generally just about some current anxiety you're experiencing IRL.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The "I haven't attended this class in months" dream is a very specific one I have often. And I only ever have it about undergrad and never grad school. Almost 20 years later and a masters degree in hand, I still have anxiety dreams about undergrad classes.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I get these dreams for school, college and University.... and I left that 22 years ago. It is ridiculous. I had one about High School last week where I was worrying about if I would keep in touch with friends when we left school, so slightly different to the failing exams / haven't done homework type ones I normally get.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm in my mid-30s and i still get this exact same thing.

i always blamed it on forgetting to sign up for an entire term of seminars one year at university, but turns out that millions of competent students have identical dreams too

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Obligatory:
3afiQzO.png

Jun 6, 2020
The final is tomorrow, you haven't attended class in forever and if you fail you can't graduate.

Yeah, I still get these dreams almost 10 years later.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god yes, I've had this dream quite a lot over the years

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Mine is high school. I still have my masters degree and job but my high school discovered that I didn't actually have the credits necessary to graduate. It then usually splits into 1. trying to figure which/how many classes I should enroll in and being worried about being the oldest one there and 2. an impending final exam for a class that I haven't attended in 20 years.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I got this bad because I had a couple bad semesters where I dropped out a few times and actually did stop attending classes for a few weeks before going back a couple of times.

I often get the "where do I even sit?" bit more than the "oh no it's exam day" thing. Because yeah there's no assigned seating but there's unspoken assigned seating and I dread sitting in someone's seat.

Just had this dream last night about some kind of dance class and you had to have a routine prepared as the final project. Which was really weird since I would never take such a class.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I always dream there's some kind of issue with my degree that means I have to go back to high school with all the embarrassment of being nearly 30 surrounded by teenyboppers. And then I realise I forgot the crucial end of semester assignment that's due that afternoon and my old English teacher is Very Disappointed in me.

Oct 25, 2017
The version of this I get is that I get my final exam schedule and I'm scheduled for a final for a class I thought I dropped, but I actually never did and have just been skipping all semester.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I forgot about the class and now I have an exam - I'm in my final semester and this is the last class I need to graduate, if I don't get the credits for it, I won't be getting my degree.

I have this dream once every two months or so. Got my degree long time ago lol.

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
Not anymore.

Had some minor dreams with the usual late for an exam, or missing a deadline etc. But I used to get some bad recurring dreams where I was convinced I had missed a whole module somehow. It almost became a false memory, it was a little scary.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
Are there any studies about this dream? I remember having the exact same dream when I was in college.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I enjoy the "wait, what?" I always do when I wake up from these.

How did my subconscious believe that I failed to even attend an English course all year

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I found a way to completely get rid of this dream, and apparently it's to serve in the military. Now I've only ever had nightmares I'm back in the Army, lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My version of those is that I'm about to lose my internship/real job because I'm going to fail a class that I need to graduate.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It doesn't help that something like this actually happened to me in real life, but that's probably my most common nightmare.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Yep, I still get these dreams occasionally, and I graduated from university more than 10 years ago. I hate them. Lol.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Never had them, but my ex had them at least 2 times per week. She never failed any courses though.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
This is the exact dream I sometimes get. Which is crazy because that is fairly specific compared to "I am failing my classes" or something. Why are we all experiencing this??

"I am failing my classes" is an expression of stress. You know something is going wrong and you need to deal with it.

"I enrolled in a class and forgot to go" is an expression of anxiety. You have a feeling that something bad is happening, but that you won't know about it until it's too late.

Oct 25, 2017
Happens a lot when I'm stressed. My version of it is that I realise I haven't passed all courses so I need to go back and do an exam 💀

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I had a dream last night where I was taking a pretty tough exam.

Holy shit was I relived when I woke up this morning lol

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
My version of this dream is forgetting to enroll in classes or forgetting what my class schedule is. And I can't believe they still happen at my grown ass age.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
My nightmare isn't exactly that I'm failing, but that I had forgotten about a course I had signed up for and never bothered attending. I'll wake up trying to remember which class it was until I remember that I graduated years ago.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I had something similar for a while (a year or two) after graduating: first i was super worried because i still needed some credits from optatives subjects and i was running out of time, but then realized progresively that i was already graduated.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically PTSD.

I graduated college in 2006 and still have those dreams occasionally lol

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I get these stress streams and it's been decades since I got my degree. Well, my college years were more stressful than they should have been, so there's that.

I don't really mind the dreams, I mind my mind's confusion that persists for those brief minutes between stopping dreaming and becoming fully awake. Because in those minutes, I am still convinced that I am back at school, late for an exam, late to hand in a paper, late for a class etc. I guess it is the trauma that a college education successfully gives you for life.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I've had a lot of dreams about being back in high school and recently had one about college. They've never been about failing a test or class, though. The college-related dream was about me visiting some made-up campus, which had some great programs and made me want to enroll and go back to school.

I wonder if that's my subconscious trying to tell me something 🤔

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The version I've gotten is that there's some clerical error and my degree wasn't actually valid, so I have to go back. I'd still prefer it to some other recurring dreams I've had, though.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
I very frequently have similar dreams to the ones in the OP.

Actually, today I dreamt that I didn't really graduate high school and had to go back to repeat some subjects. Made me very anxious lol.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
The I registered for a class and somehow forgot about it, fuck what am I going to do dream has been a reoccurring dream of mine for years lol. Happy to report I haven't had it in a while.

I've that similar versions of this dream in other ways. Used to get it when I worked as a server in the restaurant industry.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I had this kind of dreams for quite some time!
It was really strange, after I received my master's diploma, and had sometimes these bad dreams where I had not completed all the required courses, I really had to think about whether I had not finished studying after all.