• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
A nice easy bit of math for those folks would be: We're going to give you $77 - and we're going to inflate the rest of your bills by two or three hundred bucks and oh yeah we're going to offshore or automate your job next year."

Be great if people realized that they don't have to be a republican permanently - if the GOP is being shitty, the only way to alter it is with your vote. If you want the old party back, vote against it once or twice. That's how you can make your vote powerful.

It's not a football team where you support it through thick and thin. Your football team isn't putting babies in jail.

This person was young so there's still hope. I was there nearly all day but was running out of steam by the time we were talking. It was funny calling them out for being fiscally conservative but anything to give trump's wall a chance even though they weren't even sure it would be effective. Like I said though still young. I know certain people from gaf changed so we'll see. There were a few times they seemed to actual reflect on things a bit. Still "both sides" the hell out of the conversation though.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird thing to say. There's nothing wrong with being a Republican and not voting for/liking Trump. It's bizzaire to make such a stark accusation like people can only think one way, which is Republicans = Trump.

Republicans are spineless and suck, but it doesn't make it okay to just make a blanket accusation that "if YOUR a republican then you for sure 100% support trump". It's possible they don't and it's not fair/right to just assume they do
Everything is wrong with being a republican you literally are in support of the most dipshit people advocating for immensely damaging dipshit policies being also openly dipshit racists. Standing by a president that is sexist and a dogwhistling racist enabling a worsening climate for minorities. Denying climate change being antagonistic toward other countries that actually share some sort of base human right while being buddy buddy with NK. The lists goes on and on the only reason why one would be republican is either braindamage or extreme shortterm enriching selfishness. Like in what fucking world is it morally ok to be republican. You're literally a dogshit human, there is no but. Like how much worse does it have to get, you already have literal nazi candidates in your party for the next election. An alleged pedophile almost won alabama. Like holy shit pretending there can be this unicorn republican that is only about fiscal responsibility is delusional cause when you look at actual policies republicans don't care about fiscal responsibility. They literally only care about enriching themselves while keeping people they don't like down.

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're unreasonable, illogical and straight up hyper-aggressive. If you want people to join your cause, you'll not win a single one over with this kind of approach.

I think you're mistaking that for passion and empathy. If you want to get hung up on the small stuff so be it. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything is wrong with being a republican you literally are in support of the most dipshit people advocating for immensely damaging dipshit policies being also openly dipshit racists. Standing by a president that is sexist and a dogwhistling racist enabling a worsening climate for minorities. Denying climate change being antagonistic toward other countries that actually share some sort of base human right while being buddy buddy with NK. The lists goes on and on the only reason why one would be republican is either braindamage or extreme shortterm enriching selfishness. Like in what fucking world is it morally ok to be republican. You're literally a dogshit human, there is no but. Like how much worse does it have to get, you already have literal nazi candidates in your party for the next election. An alleged pedophile almost won alabama. Like holy shit pretending there can be this unicorn republican that is only about fiscal responsibility is delusional cause when you look at actual policies republicans don't care about fiscal responsibility. They literally only care about enriching themselves while keeping people they don't like down.

This right here is what pisses me off the most about republicans. I can even fathom the amount of denial you have to be in to think that Conservatives/Republicans are fiscally responsible. The 2008 Crisis happened under Bush's watch.. now our debt is skyrocketing even higher because of Trumps Tax Cuts.

They literally aren't even fucking trying to conceal their corruption anymore. They are flat out corrupt and their electorate is too stupid and ignorant to care. Trump is only further enabling this delusion to it's extreme.

If you can't see this you are a lost cause.

Dec 29, 2017

To be fair, he was elected to be a member of the Republican Precinct Committee which is a throwaway position. In Ohio, all it takes is 5 signatures (from a Republican or independent) on a petition to get on the ballot, which is voted on by partisan members of that specific precinct. Its rare for more than one person to run at the same time and it's not uncommon for spots going unfilled. When I ran for my own precinct, I was unopposed, filling a vacant spot. Just over 100 people voted for me and I can guarantee you that virtually no one actually knew who I was.

Some of the more vocal individuals, may want to consider running as Precinct Committee person for their respective party. The threshold is extremely low and although a lone pc doesn't have much say they can affect real change with enough like-minded support.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Who said the republicans are racist now?
They have always been racist, they are turning into nazis now, thats the main difference.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think there's an ever-shrinking cadre of people who maybe had an idealized vision of what being a republican meant - George Will, I think is a genuinely honest example of that, but it's becoming ever-harder to find another example - Romney might have been it, but he kissed the ring, was humiliated and STILL continues to pretend that the Trump administration isn't an incompetent Manchurian experiment simply to secure enough Trumpers to get him a Senate seat he literally feels entitled to. John McCain - flushed his legacy down the topilet by vacillating between fighting against Trumpism, but supporting most of it with his vote. Lindsay Graham almost flipped - but was very obviously offered something, blackmailed or paid off a few months ago.

Not ONE republican is doing anything about Nunesm McConnell and the like. The only people saying anything (Flake for instance) have nothing to lose, and still aren't standing up to this. Every day that goes by, Putin gets fantastically more than he ever dreamed - because he underestimated how wretched and vile the GOP has become - and how cheaply it can be bought. It';s very obvious that fundraising and the NRA are both deeply compromised - and crimes (Nunes being an easy example) are happening IN PLAIN SIGHT.

The Dems are still clinging to the false hope that the GOP can normalize - but all that does is fuel the both sides nonsense - the media as usual is pretending that things are OK - frankly the media is complicit in what is happening to our democracy, and that's working in Putin's favor too.

Unless a lot of people actually end up in jail after this, then we are on a path that could easily turn into a spiral, very quickly.

OP
OP

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I don't care if you hate his policies. But please do not use a KANYE quote to smear GW, or imply that he is racist.

Terrible response to Katrina by the administration, even daft to be honest. But he actually is a very nice person.

Do you know the man personally?

I can never understand why people like to assign personality traits with such conviction to people they have not met or barely spent five minutes with.

I'm not saying he isn't a "nice person", whatever that means. I just want to know how you can say so with such conviction.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
I like how you always get a few guilty conscience conservatives in these threads doing the "nya uh, not all Republicans" song and dance but disappear as soon as they see points they can't refute. Or even better trying to equate the Democrat platform to the Republicans in a half ass both sides attempt. As if UHC, single payer, taxes on rich are somehow just as morally repugnant as an anti-gay, transphobic, white male nationalistic, anti immigration bigoted platform.

Yea I can own the whole Democratic platform and my vote just fine and sleep at night.

Yep. You can literally time just how fast they bail when they get called out on their shit.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
How anyone can still call themselves a Republican and still feel okay with that is beyond me. If you're a Republican, you support Trump in all his forms. End of story.

Most Republicans are white. That's why they feel OK. That's why they aren't offended or disgusted with themselves. They don't feel as if they have any standard to set or live up to. They see the labeling and anger from the Left as sour grapes, not valid concerns.

That's why they are not sounding any alarms.

The simply go about their day denying any responsibility for Alt-Right groups with a "I don't support them" attitude. But that's it.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
This is not news...... Most older white people are racist 45+ . New York upstate is all republicans and they are the biggest pieces of shit in existence ..really is one of the worst places to live in the US for any person of color not white

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's more been a slow replacing of dog whistles with air horns.

The interesting thing is seeing which Republicans are uncomfortable with that (either because they didn't hear the dog whistles and didn't understand how racist the party was, or because they're uncomfortable with being outed).

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely drifting well right of where even people like Reagan wanted things to be. A lot of this is their own propaganda coming home to roost decades later, now that boomers who have their brains fried by it are the ones in power.

That said, the vast majority of what Trump does is, like the OP says, simply doing what the GOP and even Dems have always done, except saying it out loud. The difference, I think, is that a lot of the white identity stuff that boils to the surface with guys like Stephen Miller takes it to a place that undermines global and business relationships that someone like GWB wouldn't be into.

They've swung far right in ways that would make the previous generation of conservatives squirm. A lot of GOP people weren't anywhere close to the hardliner borderline anarcho-capitalists we have around now. National parks, protecting lands for environmental reasons, the EPA itself, things that Republicans vigorously supported and even established not all that long ago. "Obamacare" was actually a product of right wing think tanks. This capital above absolutely everything, destroying government entirely, cutting taxes to non-existence thing is a more modern invention.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're unreasonable, illogical and straight up hyper-aggressive. If you want people to join your cause, you'll not win a single one over with this kind of approach.

That post was completely reasonable and this is going to be the prevailing sentiment among most people as time goes on and republicans continue to focus more on their hurt feelings than reality.

Time to pick yourself up by your moral bootstaps.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
A nice easy bit of math for those folks would be: We're going to give you $77 - and we're going to inflate the rest of your bills by two or three hundred bucks and oh yeah we're going to offshore or automate your job next year."

Be great if people realized that they don't have to be a republican permanently - if the GOP is being shitty, the only way to alter it is with your vote. If you want the old party back, vote against it once or twice. That's how you can make your vote powerful.

It's not a football team where you support it through thick and thin. Your football team isn't putting babies in jail.
Good post.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
I think there's an ever-shrinking cadre of people who maybe had an idealized vision of what being a republican meant - George Will, I think is a genuinely honest example of that, but it's becoming ever-harder to find another example - Romney might have been it, but he kissed the ring, was humiliated and STILL continues to pretend that the Trump administration isn't an incompetent Manchurian experiment simply to secure enough Trumpers to get him a Senate seat he literally feels entitled to. John McCain - flushed his legacy down the topilet by vacillating between fighting against Trumpism, but supporting most of it with his vote. Lindsay Graham almost flipped - but was very obviously offered something, blackmailed or paid off a few months ago.

Not ONE republican is doing anything about Nunesm McConnell and the like. The only people saying anything (Flake for instance) have nothing to lose, and still aren't standing up to this. Every day that goes by, Putin gets fantastically more than he ever dreamed - because he underestimated how wretched and vile the GOP has become - and how cheaply it can be bought. It';s very obvious that fundraising and the NRA are both deeply compromised - and crimes (Nunes being an easy example) are happening IN PLAIN SIGHT.

The Dems are still clinging to the false hope that the GOP can normalize - but all that does is fuel the both sides nonsense - the media as usual is pretending that things are OK - frankly the media is complicit in what is happening to our democracy, and that's working in Putin's favor too.

Unless a lot of people actually end up in jail after this, then we are on a path that could easily turn into a spiral, very quickly.

I agree with all of this. Good post.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean this? The same thing happened to Clinton pretty much, yet he managed to get reelected.
It didn't. Clinton lost control of congress in '94 (what we now know is a new normal phenomenon in the modern age, but was a shock to the system at the time because Dems had nominal control for so long despite internal fractures.) But he won re-election. Bush got taken out because he lost the GOP base and Clinton won the fractured 3-way race.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
They've always been evil fucks that pander to the worst of society. Reagan, everyone's favorite dementia-ridden old man, was one of the most destructive presidents we've ever seen. He paved the way for Trump and all of the vacuous bloodsuckers like him.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
So the title is still wrong, it just got taken over earlier than some think.

You could go all the way back to Hoover to see the start of the end of Lincoln's party, but Goldwater, Nixon, Reagan, and many others all had their roles.

I think Eisenhower is the last time you could say he was the less racist of the two major party candidates.

Last edited:

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't. Clinton lost control of congress in '94 (what we now know is a new normal phenomenon in the modern age, but was a shock to the system at the time because Dems had nominal control for so long despite internal fractures.) But he won re-election. Bush got taken out because he lost the GOP base and Clinton won the fractured 3-way race.
Clinton fell victim to the same inherited deficit that Bush did. In that sense they both didn't manage to fulfill their campaign promises. My issue with your first post is that it's framed in a way that Bush voluntarily "did the right thing" rather than it being forced upon him.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is people calling themselves "conservative" like it has a good connotation. If the world is fucked up, being conservative means you don't want to fix it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I've seen the sentiment come up that Trump and his ilk have taken over the Republican Party and corrupted it.

People are starting to miss George W Bush and "moderate" Republicans like Reagan.

The Republican Party has ALWAYS been like this. Trump isn't doing anything new, he's just more brazen about it.

Let's look at the past few Republican Presidents

George W Bush

Poor response to Hurricane Katrina:

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-rep...as-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-george-w-bush

"George Bush does not care about black people."

George Bush Sr.

Vetoed the Civil Rights Act of 1990

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1990

He passed a watered down version of it a year later

Ronald Reagan

From his statements about welfare queens to the law he passed during his time as governor of California to prevent Black Panthers from owning firearms, Reagan was no friend to the black community.

Not to mention his War on Drugs initiative, which did nothing to reduce the drug epidemic but filled up the prisons and ruined communities for generations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_the_War_on_Drugs

I say all of this to say that I'm afraid that once Trump is removed from office, it will be back to business as usual. A Democrat will be in power for 8 years, then a more "moderate" Republican will take back the white house and continue the same policies that disadvantage minorities that his party has employed since time immemorial.

Trump is an enemy but the Republican Party ha always been the enemy. When I see people long for the days of Reagan and Bush, I wonder if they care about minority issues at all.

You're cherry-picking. It's true that for a long time there has been a fascist wing within the party for a long time but it only recently took over the party.

Like Reagan helped give amnesty to million of illegal immigrants and compare the speeches that George HW Bush gave on illegal immigrants to the Republican Party's current rhetoric.

Yeah, I as a minority long for the political days of Reagan and Bush because they weren't as far right as Trump and his cohorts are.

That said, the Republican Party has been hot trash for decades/

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hey look, it's this bullshit again.

'I vote for fascists and literal nazis. You could convince me not to, but you're too mean. I guess i'll just keep voting for nazis.'

No one's buying your nonsense.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Noam Chomsky (on republicans):"Every cabinet official was chosen to destroy anything of human significance in that part of the government. It's so systematic that it can't be unplanned. I doubt that Trump planned it," says Chomsky in the conversation.

Noam Chomsky "The position of the savage wing of American capitalism, the Republican Party, is really striking, they are really racing toward a precipice. Has there really been an organization in history that has dedicated itself to the destruction of human life?" said Chomsky. "The US is racing toward the precipice, while the world is trying to do something."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So the title is still wrong, it just got taken over earlier than some think.

You could go all the way back to Hoover to see the start of the end of Lincoln's party, but Goldwater, Nixon, Reagan, and many others all had their roles.

I think Eisenhower is the last time you could say he was the less racist of the two major party candidates.

And Nixon was the last competent and somewhat liberal Republican president.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
And Nixon was the last competent and somewhat liberal Republican president.

Whenever I think about what Trump is doing to the EPA, I think of how sad Nixon would be...and then my head explodes! Seriously, as much of a power hungry racist asshole Nixon could be, he at least, unlike current Republicans, actually cared about the future of this country.

As to OP, can't really disagree. Once they embraced the Tea Party, all bets were off. They let lose their crazy side and stopped being able to hide how racist and ignorant their base could be. Worse, we have a media that refuses to acknowledge it and continues to both sides everything. This morning I heard CNN comparing the lefts call to abolish ICE to the Tea Party call to abolish the IRS. As if somehow an old established agency required to collect taxes to actually make our government function was somehow comparable to a 15 year old agency added in post-9/11 fever that does additional immigration enforcement - something we somehow managed to do just fine for hundreds of years prior without them.

I don't think it's right to pretend Democrats haven't also been pretty racist with their policies. Clinton did quite a number on the black community with welfare reform, prison reform and his crimes bill. But even at their worst, it can't compare to the straight up electing of Nazis that's going on today.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
But the Russia probe is being headed by Republicans... Comey is a Republican and obviously has it out for Trump. Some blanket statements just aren't true. There are Republicans out there that don't support Trump.

Yes, it's more complicated than "all Republicans are bad". A lot of them are ignorant, a lot of them are selfish, and a lot of them are single issue voters. But the party, overall, seems more energized by Trump than just tolerant of him. And he's the most openly racist and fascist national figure the party's had, maybe ever.

And let's not idolize Comey. He's only anti-Trump because Trump fucked him personally. Let's not forget, he approached Trump with the Steele Dossier in order to tell Trump "we've got your back on this". Trump's just so stupid, he took it as a shakedown.

And we've only got the Russia investigation because Trump won't stop attacking our own intelligence services. Not because he won the election thanks largely to Russian hacking and interference. And certainly not because of his open racism, nor his fascist desire for personal loyalty, nor his vicious attacks on the free press, nor even his so-severe-it's-hard-to-believe-it's-not-intentional incompetence on the world stage.

Only because he went out of his way to specifically make enemies of portions of our own government is there an investigation. And the GOP Congress is doing its best to quash and discredit that investigation.

So, although I'm willing to grant that there are shades of grey at play, I also can hardly blame anyone for blanket statements about the GOP or its voters.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
That post was completely reasonable and this is going to be the prevailing sentiment among most people as time goes on and republicans continue to focus more on their hurt feelings than reality.

Time to pick yourself up by your moral bootstaps.
It reminds me of the alt-righters that like to pick and choose they're associations. They'll say "I'm not a bigot. I'm just a white nationalist. I don't endorse the tactics of groups like the KKK." Yet they'll march with and benefit from the fact that white supremacists groups yell, scream and brandish guns. They'll speak to everyone in attendance and not exclude white supremacists. They'll pal around with those bigots on video and network with them but act like they've never met a white supremacist before when challenged on it. It's a wholly transparent tactic. If you still throw in with Republicans you still benefit from their bigoted, white supremacists, harmful policies, even if it's just by not being targeted, despite how much you want to say the Republicans in the hoods, with the guns and screaming slurs "don't represent you". You'll still be complicit when they try to elect pedophiles or Holocaust deniers. At the very least acknowledge that rather than trying to dodge the parts of your elected, supported party that you "kinda have issues with".

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is all true, but I think there was serious value in the fact that the GOP had to feign adherence to democratic principles and at least be sly about it's racism. The current GOP is doing the same stuff, just more openly and more extremely, but that seems to have given huge chunks of the population the signal that it's ok to be absolute shitheads in day-to-day life. We at least used to keep some of that bottled up with the norm that conservatives had to at least pretend to not be racist.
And if you need any other proof of this, check out NeoGAF and see how our former "right leaning" posters are acting now. The veneer is off for sure.

Kneecap

Oct 27, 2017
This is not news...... Most older white people are racist 45+ ...
Yeesh. Way to broad brush. I might agree that a disproportionate number of us are racists, but without evidence to back up your claim, this sounds a bit like the other side of the trump escalator speech coin.

Certainly white folk are by and large infected with the legacy of institutionalized racism, but that does not a racist make. Many of us are even aware of the problem.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And if you need any other proof of this, check out NeoGAF and see how our former "right leaning" posters are acting now. The veneer is off for sure.

What? I'm shocked. I thought for sure it being exactly what moderates wanted, a place for calm, rational, open discussion where everyone can speak their mind it would surely have become a utopia where they were able to convert many alt-righters.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Yeesh. Way to broad brush. I might agree that a disproportionate number of us are racists, but without evidence to back up your claim, this sounds a bit like the other side of the trump escalator speech coin.

Certainly white folk are by and large infected with the legacy of institutionalized racism, but that does not a racist make. Many of us are even aware of the problem.
True that I was painting with a broad brush.... I apologize...but I can tell you that at Staff meetings of 150 men and not single Black /hispanic/Asian and the president of sales says with the mic on " I'm sweating like N%&%ER" I wanted to quit right then...I hate where I live and work... Looking to move soon enough

Kneecap

Oct 27, 2017
True that I was painting with a broad brush.... I apologize...but I can tell you that at Staff meetings of 150 men and not single Black /hispanic/Asian and the president of sales says with the mic on " I'm sweating like N%&%ER" I wanted to quit right then...I hate where I live and work... Looking to move soon enough
I appreciate your response. To me, the most upsetting part of your story is that apparently no one called him out on that comment.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this always there, just lurking under the surface and now is out in the open? America never did any kind of purge of these thoughts and now it comes back to bite them. Doesn't help that patriotism is pretty close to nationalism.
Food for thought, this would have a lesser impact if America had more parties then just 2, because the more extreme things would split off from the more center oriented parties.