• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The only reason it was thwarted is because Mike Pence actually had a shred of decency.

E_wgyaaVUA8QxOx

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
This must've been known for awhile, as it's the exact playbook that Qnuts and Trump loyalists swore would happen

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do think Pence didn't do it? Real fascism a bit too much, just likes to be normal evil.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Why do think Pence didn't do it? Real fascism a bit too much, just likes to be normal evil.

Story goes Dan Quayle told him not to

Costa and Woodward report that Pence rang up Quayle in late December to ask if there was any way he could give Trump want he wanted, according to the Washington Post:

Quayle was adamant, according to the authors. "Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away," he said.

But Pence pressed him, the authors write, asking if there were any grounds to pause the certification because of ongoing legal challenges. Quayle was unmoved, and Pence ultimately agreed, according to the book.

CNN's version added some additional detail to Pence's entreaty:

"You don't know the position I'm in," he said, according to the authors.

"I do know the position you're in," Quayle responded. "I also know what the law is. You listen to the parliamentarian. That's all you do. You have no power."

And Pence did just that: He listened to the Senate parliamentarian.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder again that Pence participated in this nonsense by consulting a bunch of lawyers in his circle, and all but Eastman said it couldn't be done:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Its insane how crazy close this came to happening and how nothing is being done in response to it.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"Howls, of course, from the Democrats"

I would love if we put these fuckers in their place instead of letting them just try again.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Eastman is a total nutcase. He also wrote an op-ed in Newsweek claiming Kamala Harris was not a citizen and not eligible to be VP

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'll go to my grave completely mindblown over the events that took place from election night 2020 to jan 6. though hindsight is 20/20 and all that i know i shouldn't be that baffled at the play out

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Dan Quayle saved the US then huh

Costa and Woodward report that Pence rang up Quayle in late December to ask if there was any way he could give Trump want he wanted, according to the Washington Post:

This is somehow completely new information to me. Dan fucking Quayle? Does he have some cache in the world of conservatism that I'm unaware of? Just the only surviving GOP VP who's not Dick Cheney?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrifying how close we came to descending into overt fascism. Trump wouldn't have stopped after getting away with completely stealing an election in full view of the public.

This is somehow completely new information to me. Dan fucking Quayle? Does he have some cache in the world of conservatism that I'm unaware of? Just the only surviving GOP VP who's not Dick Cheney?
Yeah I didn't know this either. I guess Cheney was pretty open about not liking Trump.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017

Terrifying how close we came to descending into overt fascism. Trump wouldn't have stopped after getting away with completely stealing an election in full view of the public.

Yeah I didn't know this either. I guess Cheney was pretty open about not liking Trump.

Quayle's a former Indiana senator turned VP just like Pence. That's how they knew each other and why Pence went to him for advice.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This would have happened long ago if it was possible. This sounds like some fanfic this Eastman guy wrote after Bush 1 lost

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
We keep commenting on how close we came, but we still haven't stepped that far away from the potential again.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Dan Quayle had to help fucking convince pence to not commit treason? Here we thought he just knew he should do this but he literally seemed out advice begging them to allow him to do it

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel like people are missing the whole Quayle thing. It's not that Quayle convinced him not to do it, he convinced him that he didn't have the ability and power to do it. Those are two very different things.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
They put it in a nice bullet list, so it was obviously a good plan.

Not enough red circles and pointing at them, however.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
So what's going to happen when you have a Republican controlled Government and the next Democrat wins?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just wait until they get a VP in power that's more willing to sell their soul than Pence.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

CNN's version added some additional detail to Pence's entreaty:

And Pence did just that: He listened to the Senate parliamentarian.
There was a tweet a couple days ago like who the fuck knew what a senate parliamentarian was before this year and how important they apparently are. And yet here again this position is higher than the VP in some respects?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
So the fatal flaw here was needing Pence to do all this without consultation or seeking permission? Despite Pence being absolutely notorious for seeking guidance and consultation on everything? Heh.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The threat of fascism still isn't over, fellow Americans. It's getting worse.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole notion of certification doesn't even exist in the constitution. They are just there to count the votes from the electoral college, not work out disputes or pick elector slates. Basically the same argument that played out in the states where they tried to have election boards refuse certification when their role is just "were these votes received from x county?". It doesn't make the VP arbiter of anything

The one time this actually happened, instead of going to the house they basically made something up -- a joint committee with congress and SCOTUS

Last edited:

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is that a true story, daddy?

Yes, it is, children. And that's why to this day democracy is spelled P-O-T-A-T-O-E.

*camera pans out to reveal the Washington Monument is now topped with a fifty-foot tall replica of Dan Quayle's head.*

*Twilight Zone theme and end credits*

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
So if dems didn't have the house Trump would still be president? I really thought he had no chance regardless but wow if that's all that saved us.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I hate to doom post (unless it's about DOOM, the video game franchise) but it's kind of horrifying how pretty much every election holds the sanctity of our nation's democracy in the balance.

This and Jan 6 show that Republicans will almost certainly never accept the results of any presidential election again, and if they win a majority of the house and/or senate they actually have a legitimate chance of doing what was attempted with Trump...

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo...Mike Pence literally had to be convinced to do the right thing and not be treasonous to his country? That's what I'm taking away from this.

What if Dan Quayle didn't answer the phone? Where would we be right now?

I'm not sure what the US is gonna do about this, but the fact that 45 is possibly gearing up for another run and doesn't seem to be any closer to going to prison is mindboggling.

I feel like people are missing the whole Quayle thing. It's not that Quayle convinced him not to do it, he convinced him that he didn't have the ability and power to do it. Those are two very different things.

You know what? I think you're right and of course that makes it worse.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
This is .. what we all assumed was happening but its so insane to read it. Adults.. based on total fucking lies.. were willing to get this close to something crazy. What would have happened? Could you rely on the military to stop it.. I doubt it.

What really would have happened? GOP could give a shit about the rule of law when they want power... And remember everyone.. this MONSTER is going to run again. Do not think we avoided the only time this will be a threat.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest threat of fascism comes from the cops. If Trump wasn't so pants on head stupid he could have pulled off a coup using the local cops on the streets and daring the state governors to respond. Once the cops stop responding to local civilian control (and already civilian leaders are struggling to keep the cops under control) and center their power bases around union leadership the Republic is done. Someone is going to recognize that and they'll be a far bigger threat than Trump.

Think about a city like NYC. The NYPD has 35,000 sworn officers. NY State has 5,000 sworn troopers. There's only 21,000 in the New York National Guard. Even in smaller cities like Boston and Philly, the local PD outnumbers the state troopers, forcing a showdown between the governor with the national guard and the cops. That's if Trump didn't try to federalize the national guard and some units defecting to him.

As much as local chiefs of police will disagree, there's very little professionalism in law enforcement in the United States until you start getting to the federal level. Local cops may as well be local warlords in any sort of fascist uprising. It will be long and bloody with the fascists operating under the color of law to boot. We should thank our lucky stars that Trump didn't figure out the power he had in his cop union buddies willing to go all the way with him so long as they could continue to operate with impunity.