• I liked 6, not 5

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Boo-urns, they were great

Votes: 74 22.2%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2017
8qo1VWI.png

OiY7AaQ.png

The sources that are saying a Resident Evil 3 remake is in the works got me excited. It's reminded me that, after a rough transition into the PS3/360/Wii generation, Resident Evil has returned to critical acclaim. But honestly, this is the first decade I've ever been excited for a Resident Evil game.

1. I couldn't get into the tank controls back in the PS1/PS2/GC days. I tried REmake and couldn't get into it based on that. I understand some are huge fans of it, and I get that the games are made around the tank controls. I still don't like them, so I couldn't get into it at the time.
  2. During the PS3/360/Wii gen, I remember several Japanese franchises -- Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The ICO-type sequel Last Guardian never releasing -- seemed to stall in quality. I thought maybe many of these franchises had seen better days and developers would move on.
  3. Resident Evil HD Remaster was really enjoyable for me. I wasn't able to finish it, but the lack of tank controls helped me enjoy it more. I had a big discussion on the old board about whether or not it was good to do the tank controls since the game is built around it, and I totally get it: the game is way easier not using the controls it was made for. But this was the way I could enjoy it, which leads me to:
  4. RE7 was great. Loved it, loved exploring, loved the feel, loved the VR capability.
  5. RE2make was great. I was thrilled to finally experience a version of this classic game that gamers have raved about for ages. I got the steelbook version Day 1 because of how much I loved RE7, and it didn't disappoint.
  6. I'm now ecstatic about a potential 2020 RE3make.
It feels that many Japanese developers got over the HD transition, but I can speak specifically to Resident Evil: it feels great to be hyped about a new Resident Evil along with so many other gamers. And it's great to see a developer, after a down period in perceived quality of a series, rebound and in many ways, listen to the fans despite current trends in video games.

Kudos to Capcom, kudos to the developers, and cheers to, likely, another great Resident Evil game.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Me too! Resident evil 2 remake was my first game in de series and I loved it. Played revelations 1 and 2 after that. Liked those too (1 more than 2)

5 and 6 and the rest are on my wishlist.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed every game in the franchise (well almost every) and the prospect of a Nemesis remake is mouth watering for me as Nemesis is where I really got into the series. Even though I had played the original RE (i was maybe 10 back then), Nemesis got me hooked to the franchise.

Capcom have done a fantastic job revitalizing the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Happy to see the acclaim for recent Resident Evil games, though I have largely enjoyed all the mainline titles.

I wouldn't say I'm new to the franchise, but I only got around to playing through the classic titles late in the PS3 gen, they became instant favorites for me. I love the more action oriented stuff, but I will always prefer the slower, more plodding direction of REmake.

Excited for RE3make, but I'm more interested to see what they're going to do with the next mainline title.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm potentially in a similar boat: I never really played the franchise before, because the tank controls, tight corridors and such made me uninterested. Then there's a widely praised first person episode (7), improved controls on the classics (0, 1), and the remake for 2 being such a huge success. I just bought RE2 on Black Friday, after I'm done with Control I want to get into it. If I end up liking it, I still have multiple other games in my backlog from the franchise (used a price error a while ago to get like 6 games for like 19 Euros or something). Resident Evil right now is exciting me more than it ever did, and for the first time I legit think I could enjoy the games.

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
I want to play the first Resident Evil without "tank" controls, but which version is that? I want to play on Xbox.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Me too! Resident evil 2 remake was my first game in de series and I loved it. Played revelations 1 and 2 after that. Liked those too (1 more than 2)

Me three!!

After playing Re2Make, I have played through
Resident Evil Remake
Re2 original
Re3
Re4
Re5

and am most of the way through Chris's camapaign in Resi 6.

I won't call Resident Evil 5 a bad game, but the drop off from 4 is noticeable and in many places extreme. I would barely call it a good game. Resi 6 has been... eugh. There were several bright spots in Leon's campaign but they were pretty short and the gameplay still feels weirdly floaty and the writing/acting is atrocious.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
The first RE game I've finished is 7, not in VR and I loved it.

So I was exited for RE2 Remake from the first showing of it at E3 2018 and now it's probably the best game of the year or one of.

Now I'm really looking forward to RE8 and RE3 Remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom deserve a ton of credit, because I was done with the series after RE6. RE7 is the first mainline Resident Evil I haven't bought on launch day, because it took a month of positive word of mouth and friend recommendations before I believed it wasn't as bad as 6.

There's not been many games this gen I liked as much as RE7 and RE2.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

5 and 6 and the rest are on my wishlist.

You can go in order or whatever, but Resident Evil 4 is still probably the pinnacle of the series, as much as I enjoyed RE2 remake. RE4 introduced more action oriented gameplay while still retaining a lot of the great elements of the early titles. 5 and 6 are often considered to have pushed the action elements a bit too far. I never played 6, but 5 lacked the magic of 4.

For many gamers RE4 is in their all time top 10. I think its in mine. Back in the Gamecube days it was either RE4 or Metroid Prime as my favorite title on the platform; I'd go back and forth.

Not sure why Resident Evil 4 isn't discussed in the OP. Uhhhh......its one of the greatest games of all time, forget just RE games.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super happy yall going back to play older games too.

Play re revelations 1 and 2 yall

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think RE5 or 6 are great games but they're fun enough.

RE5 single player is complete garbage due to the bad AI tho, would recommend to play coop with a friend or not play it at all.

Give another chance to tank controls RE btw. Try to use the d-pad if you find the sticks movement to be bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a huge fan since I bought my PS1 back in 1998. The quality definitely took a hit last gen. I loved RE5 but it was a step down from RE4, hated RE6 (only mainline entry I actively dislike; although I wasn't too hot on Zero either), enjoyed Revelations 2 but it was pretty rough around the edges.

RE7 and REmake 2 definitely feel like the series is back to its best. It feels good.

There are a lot of older series I like which just don't weigh up to the best of the current stuff. Like I'm beyond excited for FFVII but there's part of me knows it won't stand quite as tall as Cyberpunk or Elden Ring. RE is in a position where it easily stands alongside the best new games, even if you strip away the nostalgia and the legacy.

RE and Zelda both being on top form after their slumps is one of the best things to happen this gen.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
The first RE game I've finished is 7, not in VR and I loved it.

So I was exited for RE2 Remake from the first showing of it at E3 2018 and now it's probably the best game of the year or one of.

Now I'm really looking forward to RE8 and RE3 Remake.

I had some control issues with the VR version when I tried it for, like, 5 minutes. Looking around via the headset was cool, but I couldn't figure out how to properly move one direction while using my head as the camera. It's probably a really simple thing that I'm screwing up because I haven't heard a bad thing about the VR experience.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
You can go in order or whatever, but Resident Evil 4 is still probably the pinnacle of the series, as much as I enjoyed RE2 remake. RE4 introduced more action oriented gameplay while still retaining a lot of the great elements of the early titles. ..

I'll be honest, I think I like Resi 1 + 2 + 3 more than I like 4? I loved 4, but it definitely felt like a game that revolutionized action games, but the many iterations since then was full of stuff I missed. With 1/2/3, they just don't make games like that anymore so even though they were visibly (I played HD-ified versions of 2/3 so they actually looked quite good) aged, they still felt a bit more special to me.

Resi HD Project for Resi2+3

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 5 is okay; a lot of fun especially in coop; but with less charm then Resident Evil 4.
I've tried playing RE6 coop with a few friends and they all burn out before we can finish all the campaigns. All the campaign's in that game vary in quality, but I feel Chris's portion is very un-fun.

Love the new resurgence with RE7 and RE2make they feel very respectful and more in tune with the formula of the classic games.

EDIT: I just got to add that I love the fixed camera styles and tank controls of the old games, and my favorite RE experience has got to be the REmake on Gamecube. But to each their own, cause Resident Evil as a series at least isn't afraid to reinvent itself when it needs too and that has kept the series fresher then I think just sticking to one style forever. The relief some people felt when they moved away from the setup of the old games? I felt that same refreshment playing RE7 and RE2make after playing RE6.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Two solid action games even if neither is flawless. Seen as an intentionally cheesy Hollywood movie, I'd argue that RE6 is a very entertaining game. I totally get the hate but I do think the games have bright pots although horror isn't one of them.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
REmake2 is probably my favorite entry in the series (could be recency bias but I don't think so). I also adore RE4 and RE5. I played all the RE6 campaigns but none were really as good as those games. I played some RE7 in VR but not enough to form an opinion. It seemed pretty promising so I'm glad to hear it's good.

REmake3 can't come soon enough if it's anything like REmake2. I wouldn't mind another remake of the first game either since I'm not a fan of the fixed camera or combat in REmake.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I like 5, I just don't want to see this particular series go in that direction again. 6 I've tried and failed to play through multiple times, it's just plain boring

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Likewise, I've been playing a lot more of the series as a result of Resident Evil 7. Previously I'd done 4 and 5, but that was my lot. RE7 got me curious to try more and this year I've played REmake, RE6, RE2 Remake, am currently playing Revelations 2 and recently bought Zero. All a bit arse about face, but enjoying the ride (ups and downs included).

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I honestly enjoyed 5 and 6 more than 7. RE7 was a one and done kind of game for me, whereas I've played through 5 and 6 multiple times

The beginning of RE7 is incredible, but the rest of the game is nowhere near as good.

Oct 28, 2017
The only main series RE's I straight up dislike are 5 and 6. The original trilogy is fantastic, Code Veronica I do give it a lot of shit but all in all despite its issues I did enjoy, REmake is fantastic, Zero I liked despite issues with it, 4 is the GOAT, 7 was fantastic and RE2 Remake is good though I have some big issues with it as a remake.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to choose one of those it would be RE5, but I would need to be with a gun pressed to my head while my toenails are torn off by little Oompa Lumpas.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Before E3 last year I thought the Resident Evil franchise was dead. It was partly my fault for not playing RE7 and simply assuming it was an unoriginal, souless game. And between that, Capcom's "downfall" and the lack of info concerning REmake 2 I thought never again I would play a great RE game (I also skipped Revelations 2, which is a very good game I might add).

Well that changed A LOT. REmake 2 is amazing and RE7 was much more than I thought it would be.

The wait for R3make is killing me.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Me too. I did play them when I was a kid but I never beat any of them. It was partly because it was hard for my 8 year old self and it was also pretty scary back then. I ended up beating and really enjoying RE2 so I will definitely be buying RE3. As for 7, I am not a fan of the first person perspective so I will not be getting that or any follow up that may come.

Feb 5, 2018
I do wonder if they'll get around to remaking
C:V, 4, 5 , and 6.

The first needs it as much as 3 does and 2 did. 4 doesnt, but I really want them to re-do 5 and 6 someday. They could be infinitely better games told within the narrative.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
5 is really good, and polished as FUCK, and 6, when it's firing on all cylinders, is HEAVENLY. But when it gets bad, Jesus H. Christ on a vegan cracker clear the room and condemn the building.

Oct 30, 2017
RE5 and RE6 were nightmares for original RE fans since 1996 like myself... they were fun as action games BUT not the RE we knew and loves in the 90s.

RE7 went into the right direction but it missed the 3rd person cameras and zombies and gorgeous interior designs of the original... but thankfully RE2R happened and took us right back to the greatness.

Still can't believe RE is back.... it's a miracle....

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I sometimes think about that. I like RE5 quite a lot and it's an incredible co-op game, but I can't help but to feel I would have that other game more.
I wanted that game so much.

To me, the forced co-op just took every ounce of horror out of the game. RE4 had some terrifying parts, and they were made scarier by the fact that Leon was alone. Having Sheva pretty much always there just ruined that tension.

Mar 29, 2018
Tank controls are such a weird thing.

My GF despises them and is forcing us to play SH2 with easy relative controls, but it looks so shit and dumb and makes the game fast, ruining the pacing.

Whenever I play with tank controls, it looks good and smooth and cinematic. I've got a good sense of direction so always "get" where my character is pointing and how to turn them.

But watching my gf try it is literally one of the most agonizing game experiences I've had. She just kind of turns on the spot, walks backwards a lot, can't position right, is always turning by accident.

She has a terrible sense of direction - could it be something to do with that? Not being able to pivot your inner perspective to match the game character's?

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the great response to REmake2 got me to finally retry REmake and I finished it around Halloween. I never would have beat it if they didn't give an alternative to the tank option.

I've never played any version of 2 but I've played through most of 3 and all of 4.

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried playing REmake with the non tank controls and it feels weird and worse. I don't know how you can play REmake like that.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Tank controls are such a weird thing.

My GF despises them and is forcing us to play SH2 with easy relative controls, but it looks so shit and dumb and makes the game fast, ruining the pacing.

Whenever I play with tank controls, it looks good and smooth and cinematic. I've got a good sense of direction so always "get" where my character is pointing and how to turn them.

But watching my gf try it is literally one of the most agonizing game experiences I've had. She just kind of turns on the spot, walks backwards a lot, can't position right, is always turning by accident.

She has a terrible sense of direction - could it be something to do with that? Not being able to pivot your inner perspective to match the game character's?

I have a good sense of direction and have the hardest time with them. I remember playing the GC version, and just to turn around, I felt like I was doing this big, weird circle just to do something that I'd snap around to do in real life. I know many games are going to have some liberties with movement (let's face it: we don't really jump a lot in real life, but it's essential in so many games lol), but I could never get used to it.

Feb 5, 2018
I thought you said 1 needs another remake as much as 3 does? Did I misread?

Oh you meant Code Veronica! Whoops. I actually liked the story of CV quite a lot I'd be interested in a remake.

Haha yeah! C:V is the last that needs an actual remake but id love to see 4 made with RE:2 remakes updated engine/more horror-esque. RE5/6 imo need full blown remakes but itll probably never happen. All i can hope for is RE3 and Code: V lol

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I have a Platinum in RE5 and beat it under 3 hours in co-op. RE 5 is an 8,5/10 in co-op. 7,5/10 without.
RE6 is a 7,5/10 in co-op. 6,5/10 without.

I present the original plot to RE5, back when it was a single-player game: https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Rejected_content_from_Resident_Evil_5
That plot looks quite good (Barry and the Merchant were in!), the one we got is a mess. RE6´s plot is a total travesty. What even happened during the writing process?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I want to play the first Resident Evil without "tank" controls, but which version is that? I want to play on Xbox.
While I understand it's annoying, frankly the game's difficulty is somewhat anchored around those tank controls even when you can disable them. By disabling it enemy encounters become unintentionally easy because a big part of the original challenge was maneuvering enemies in hallways, which is part of your whole decision-making process about "Do I waste my ammo here to clear the road or brave it and hope I won't lose health?" I find that tension goes away when you have EZ controls.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Still sad over the loss of Action RE. Much like those that were saddened over the loss of "survival horror" during that time. There's just nothing else that plays like RE4-6. Thankfully Capcom has been keeping some of that DNA alive in other ways such as RE7 DLC, Sheriff Mode in RE2, or the upcoming Project Resistance.

They'll have to return to it once they remake RE4 so that'll be interesting.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
The current Resident Evil resurgence is grand, I agree.

Both Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2 have been fantastic and much needed change from RE 5 and RE 6. Especially the latter.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like both styles and RE has consistently been one of my favorite gaming franchises since I encountered it. I was a bit late but I ended up playing RE1 on PlayStation as a rental in 97 just after I got my console and been a fan ever since. Been there day 1 for every flagship numbered entry after that so far, and despite hating RE6 on first encounter, I've since come around on it.

The various spinoffs are a much different story, but I did like the Revelations games a fair bit. The franchises that are clearly RE inspired like Dino Crisis and Onimisha are great, too.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I believe Tank Controls are something you can get used to. To a lot of people it might click instantly, but to other it's simply a matter of time. Surely there is someone out there that didn't like it at first but eventually got the hang of it?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The most annoying part of the 'alternate' controls is that when the camera switches angles you have no damn idea how to adjust the left stick to keep moving in the same direction. I switched to tank controls just so I always knew which way I going to keep going