Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Critics are complaining about it having too much fanservice when Endgame was Fanservice: The Movie and that was received insanely well for a superhero movie. I don't get it.
People need to understand that fanservice in and of itself is not a bad thing. When used well it can enhance a story that already has a solid foundation. Fanservice is bad when that is the only thing keeping a thing together.

Feb 21, 2019
Do people honestly think this movie is the "end" of anything? It's so transparently not. Rey will be back in a new trilogy by 2025 regardless of what Daisy, KK or anyone else says.
I will never understand fandom when they get so heavily involved in lore and marketing that they just cant accept that writers and studios will do anything to make a buck. If that means bringing back Rey, or something with "skywalker" or whatever, they will do it. End of discussion.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
People need to understand that fanservice in and of itself is not a bad thing. When used well it can enhance a story that already has a solid foundation. Fanservice is bad when that is the only thing keeping a thing together.

You've just described Rogue 1.

Anyway i agree. Fanservice isn't bad if there is a real movie behind and the execution is great.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
s

Many will like it simply out of spite for people that liked TLJ, if the latter generally do end up disliking ROS. Feelings about TLJ mirror political polarization, that way.
Paying to see a movie to spite another movie made by the same studio.

Meanwhile at Disney:
source.gif

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Itsa shame we had so much of this rather than a plan from a singular director but alas here we are. Disney needs to take a hard look at how they handle this franchise moving forward.

I just remember being immensely confused driving home after TLJ, and as it started to set with me. I basically always said I would await the last one to see what their plan was. But alas, no plan. It seems like it does end the "Skywalker saga" but by killing it intentionally over 3 movies.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Critics are complaining about it having too much fanservice when Endgame was Fanservice: The Movie and that was received insanely well for a superhero movie. I don't get it.

It's...almost like opinions aren't some all-catch thing which apply across all media like a blanket regardless of context. Your black-and-white comment totally disregards both context and execution.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't try to lead Kylo back because he knows he's not the person to lead him back, as he explicitly tells Leia. He was able to turn Vader because Vader desperately wanted to connect with him, to the point that his obsession with Luke drives the plot of the second OT film; in contrast, Kylo justifiably hates Luke and wants nothing to do with him outside of exacting his 'vengeance' on him. Even if Luke were to give him a sincere apology, Kylo would like reject it, and view it as self-serving on Luke's part (which is what happens during their confrontation).

I understand all of that.

The point is Luke going out by inspiring people to fight as opposed to inspiring people to the light is a big downgrade to the character and a bummer.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Whatever. Crying for an entire half of a movie is over the top.

Yea I'm not even trying to be a dick but those types of reactions are just... wow to me, and I am 100% a "crier" if something touches me.I often forget how wrapped up some people are in SW above all else ( I'll never understand it ), the fan service nostalgia JJ is serving must be off the charts

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I love Star Wars because of the dialogue, characters, and drama. And that's just the threads; the movies are even better.